PDA

View Full Version : Brewers to name Ken Macha as new manager

cbrownson13
10-30-2008, 10:21 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3672684

Meh...I think they would have been better suited with Brenly, but that's just me.

thedudeabides
10-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Wasn't Kendell one of the guys that helped run him out of Oakland? Should be funny to see how those two get along.

palehozenychicty
10-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Meh is right. Ken Macha was hardly impressive in Oakland. Then again, Billy Beane is the real manager of that team. He told us so...

ComiskeyBrewer
10-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Melvin wanted Macha all along(he interviewed Macha back when they hired yost, but Macha turned down the job), so this move doesn't really shock me.

Foulke You
10-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Wasn't Kendell one of the guys that helped run him out of Oakland? Should be funny to see how those two get along.
It should be interesting to see how the whole Brewers team gets along with Macha. It was my understanding that Macha was abrasive and alienated players and staff while in Oakland which is one of the reasons they fired him after what was a pretty successful run as manager there. Not many managers of small market payroll teams get fired after winning 93 games, a division title, and an ALCS appearance as Macha did in 2006. Still, you can't argue with Macha's success. Two division titles and the worst of his 4 seasons in Oakland was 88 wins.

jackbrohamer
10-30-2008, 01:08 PM
How thorough can their managerial search have been if the 3 finalists were Brenley, Macha and Randolph?

Stoky44
10-30-2008, 01:19 PM
At least we know the Cubs TV color job is safe!

FedEx227
10-30-2008, 01:35 PM
It should be interesting to see how the whole Brewers team gets along with Macha. It was my understanding that Macha was abrasive and alienated players and staff while in Oakland which is one of the reasons they fired him after what was a pretty successful run as manager there. Not many managers of small market payroll teams get fired after winning 93 games, a division title, and an ALCS appearance as Macha did in 2006. Still, you can't argue with Macha's success. Two division titles and the worst of his 4 seasons in Oakland was 88 wins.

Not sure if that's completely true. A lot of reports came out midway through the 2006 season that Macha was a done deal because apparently he wasn't too receptive to Billy Beane attempting to chime in on certain aspects of the team. The two never got along despite the success.

PatK
10-30-2008, 01:46 PM
At least we know the Cubs TV color job is safe!

Of course, the Tribune has to make it all about the Cubs by having the headline
Reports: Brewers pass on Cubs broadcaster Brenly (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-ap-bbn-brewers-manager,0,6991946.story)

FedEx227
10-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Of course, the Tribune has to make it all about the Cubs by having the headline
Reports: Brewers pass on Cubs broadcaster Brenly (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-ap-bbn-brewers-manager,0,6991946.story)

To be fair... they are a Chicago newspaper??

I know what you're trying to say, but really this example is nothing to me.

It's not as if a Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel is going to say:

Ex-Chicago Bulls frontman Scott Skiles to coach Bucks.

Fenway
10-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Now it can be told.

Macha has been working for NESN the past 2 seasons as a fill in studio analyst when Rice or Eckersley took a night off. But the real reason he was in Boston was he was Francona's choice to take over if
anything happened to him. Macha and Francona are very close.

RockJock07
10-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Now it can be told.

Macha has been working for NESN the past 2 seasons as a fill in studio analyst when Rice or Eckersley took a night off. But the real reason he was in Boston was he was Francona's choice to take over if
anything happened to him. Macha and Francona are very close.

Yeah, their relationship goes back to their days in Oakland. I was at the press conference and Macha seem to address everything that happened in Oakland and didn't shy away from any questions about him and Kendall or any other problems.

I think this is a great choice for the Brewers, now on with CC, that would help me sell some tickets for sure!

Fenway
10-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Yeah, their relationship goes back to their days in Oakland. I was at the press conference and Macha seem to address everything that happened in Oakland and didn't shy away from any questions about him and Kendall or any other problems.

I think this is a great choice for the Brewers, now on with CC, that would help me sell some tickets for sure!

Macha was impressive in the studio with his analysis and his understanding of the game is top notch. I hope he does well in Brewtown.

We are just finding out know how ill Francona has been the past few years. It is amazing he has been able to manage.

Rocky Soprano
10-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Macha was impressive in the studio with his analysis and his understanding of the game is top notch. I hope he does well in Brewtown.

We are just finding out know how ill Francona has been the past few years. It is amazing he has been able to manage.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is wrong with Francona?

Fenway
10-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is wrong with Francona?

He has had no feeling in his fingers for months related to problems in his back and will have surgery in a few weeks.

He also has respiratory problems which is why you never see him in uniform...always the pullover. He almost died from it 5 years ago.

TheKittle
10-31-2008, 11:28 AM
He has had no feeling in his fingers for months related to problems in his back and will have surgery in a few weeks.

He also has respiratory problems which is why you never see him in uniform...always the pullover. He almost died from it 5 years ago.

Does he smoke?

Fenway
10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Does he smoke?

I have never seen him smoke but he is horribly addicted to chewing tobacco. He lost a $25K bet with Larry Lucchino that he could stop.

He has told friends he doesn't expect to live much past 50 and keeps working to make sure he can get his children through college.

The Red Sox were concerned enough to have Macha on a retainer by giving him a studio job at NESN.