PDA

View Full Version : jr. appreciation

t1mm41
10-29-2008, 11:05 PM
i see the other thread is getting out of hand, and i thought maybe some people feel the same way i do and thought having him on our squad was nice for the time he was here.. talk about some nice moments here about his time i guess or from seattle/cinci... maybe this should be in another thread..im not sure im new here...no haters please

TheCommander
10-29-2008, 11:36 PM
LJS1993,is that you??

jscp0708
10-29-2008, 11:42 PM
I dont know why when I was 10 I liked junior so much. Growing up I had every major baseball card of his until about 2000 when I stopped collecting them. I am proud to say that I was able to watch my all time favorite baseball player on my all time favorite baseball team. I will sure miss him.

pythons007
10-29-2008, 11:44 PM
I for one agree with you. I appreciated the effort that Griffey gave while he was on the SouthSide. In all the interviews he seemed like a humble guy just enjoying the moment. He gave us some clutch hits while wearing a Sox uniform and who could forget the throw home in the blackout game. He is my favorite player ever since he started playing all the way back in 1989.

I'm glad he played a little part of his career with the White Sox and I wish it could have lasted a little longer. I completely understand why he isn't being brought back and I agree with it but there is a little part of me wishing that he would. I loved the "Soul Glo" song that he came out to, showing a little of his personality on the field.

GreenWoman3212
10-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Class act all the way. Some memorable moments in 2008 that involved him. I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes.

areilly
10-30-2008, 12:09 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9c/Ken_Griffey_Jr.%27s_Winning_Run.png

Frontman
10-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the memories Griff. Good luck down the road, and who knows what the road may hold.

Whatever it does, may it be a great one all the way to Cooperstown.

eriqjaffe
10-30-2008, 09:25 AM
While I still (and probably always will) scratch my head about the need to bring Griffey aboard in the first place, I must concur that he was a class act all the way.

veeter
10-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Of all the former stars, way past their prime, that Kenny landed, Griffey contributed the most. I appreciate that. As for Roberto Alomar, Sandy Alomar, and David Wells thanks for nothing.

guillen4life13
10-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Of all the former stars, way past their prime, that Kenny landed, Griffey contributed the most. I appreciate that. As for Roberto Alomar, Sandy Alomar, and David Wells thanks for nothing.

:bashbro
Take that statement back or I will out you in my next book.

Actually, juice or not, Canseco's half season in 2001 in Frank's absence was pretty damn good. .843 OPS with 49 RBI in only 256 AB (76 games). Put that over a whole season and you're talking about 90+ RBI and 30+ home runs. Better than what Jim Thome did this past season.

FarmerAndy
10-31-2008, 09:09 AM

I don't think it's fair to put Sandy Alomar into that category. He didn't put up monster numbers here or anything. But I think he gave exactly what was expected of him and he was a class act the whole time. (Agreed on Roberto and David Wells, though.)

As for Griff - Class act, gave it his all, have no problem with the man. That still doesn't make me agree with Kenny bringing him here. It created another log-jam, which the Sox have a tendency to do. I've loved watching him play ovr the years, but seeing him in a White Sox uniform just for the sake of it doesn't in anyway doesn't make my memories of him any better. If we're to start subscribing to that line of reasoning, then I would be calling for the Sox to sign Omar Visquel right now. But.....um, no thanks.

I want Mags back
10-31-2008, 12:09 PM
:bashbro
Take that statement back or I will out you in my next book.

Actually, juice or not, Canseco's half season in 2001 in Frank's absence was pretty damn good. .843 OPS with 49 RBI in only 256 AB (76 games). Put that over a whole season and you're talking about 90+ RBI and 30+ home runs. Better than what Jim Thome did this past season.

but he was on the juice...

Thome_Fan
10-31-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm proud to be able to say Grif played for the Sox, if not for very long. I only wish we could have given him (and Thome) the ring he deserves before he gets his well deserved place in the HoF.

soxpride724
10-31-2008, 01:41 PM
I for one am thankful that I was able to watch Ken Griffey Jr. play baseball on my favorite ball club in person.

Pretty damn cool.

FarmerAndy
10-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Then the Sox should sign Omar Vizquel. One of the most amazing shortstops to ever play the game. I used to love going to the games when we'd play the Indians, because even though I was rooting for the Sox, I loved watching him make those amazing plays over at shortstop.

I know he's 42 years old now. But it would be totally neat to see him in a White Sox uniform before his career is offically over.

Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling are both free agents. Remember the 2001 World Series? How awesome was that? Imagine those 2 in Sox uniforms!

There's actually a bunch of age 40+ players who used to be great on the free agent list this year. If Kenny plays it right, we could have a real feel good summer in '09.

jabrch
10-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Then the Sox should sign Omar Vizquel. One of the most amazing shortstops to ever play the game. I used to love going to the games when we'd play the Indians, because even though I was rooting for the Sox, I loved watching him make those amazing plays over at shortstop.

I know he's 42 years old now. But it would be totally neat to see him in a White Sox uniform before his career is offically over.

Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling are both free agents. Remember the 2001 World Series? How awesome was that? Imagine those 2 in Sox uniforms!

There's actually a bunch of age 40+ players who used to be great on the free agent list this year. If Kenny plays it right, we could have a real feel good summer in '09.

If anyone on that list are healthy nad available with another club picking up nearly their entire contract, and all we had to give up was players that were organizational spare parts, I'd probably be supportive of it.

Piss on the Griffey aquisition all you want - but the bottom line is Jr was brought in here for nearly nothing. Getting him didn't stop KW from making any other moves. It's not like Kenny was spending 24/7 chasing Jr. He would have loved to get Fuentes or something like that. But no deal was out there that he could make that he felt would improve this club. Jr. cost nothing, and could have helped us.

Nellie_Fox
10-31-2008, 02:39 PM

There's actually a bunch of age 40+ players who used to be great on the free agent list this year. If Kenny plays it right, we could have a real feel good summer in '09.Great. Come see the Chicago White Sox Retirement Village! Marvel at seeing players who used to be really good! Close your eyes and imagine that they still are!

Lukin13
10-31-2008, 03:03 PM

:wink: Good stuff.

Actually it is threads like this that remind me that I differ from many at the ballpark and here especially, as I am a fan of Major League baseball and not the players themselves.

FarmerAndy
10-31-2008, 04:29 PM
Great. Come see the Chicago White Sox Retirement Village! Marvel at seeing players who used to be really good! Close your eyes and imagine that they still are!

Exactly.

:wink: Good stuff.

Actually it is threads like this that remind me that I differ from many at the ballpark and here especially, as I am a fan of Major League baseball and not the players themselves.

Yep. I appreciate great players and enjoy watching what they do in their prime, no matter what team they play for. And yes, I love and root for the White Sox. But I just don't get it - the notion that it is somehow special to see a player that used to be great briefly wear the uniform of the team that you root for. Of course, fans are entitled to think that way if they want. But a professional organization shouldn't.

Jabrch - I do agree with you, the Griffey aquisition didn't hurt us. THANK GOD. We didn't give up anything important. But just because something didn't hurt us doesn't mean it should've happened. From a straight up baseball standpoint, it just didn't make much sense. (We already had enough old slow guys, and we didn't need a right fielder. He had no business playing in CF, that was dumb.) This leads me to believe that the motivation for this move had more to do with all of the warm fuzzy feelings about seeing Griffey in a Sox uniform than anything else. And while it didn't end up really hurting us in this case, as a fan of the team I have a serious problem with moves being made on that kind of reasoning. Fans have every right to swoon over a player and operate on that kind of thinking, and you are more than entitled to your fuzzy feelings about having seen Griffey in a Sox uniform. But the team has an obligation to think in logical, unemotional terms.

IlliniSox4Life
11-01-2008, 05:23 AM
Thanks Griff.

You're a class act and a once in a generation type of player. I'm glad that, even if it was the twilight of your career, you were able to play for the Chicago White Sox. I remember being at your first home game. It is in my top 5 White Sox games ever attended (thanks Swisher). The best of luck to you, and I'll see you in Cooperstown one day.