PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Philadelphia Phillies 2008 World Champs

Fenway
10-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Congrats to the Phillies and their fans for winning second championship in franchise history.

All hail Philadelphia

and congrats to Tampa Bay for a wonderful season.

LoveYourSuit
10-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Let the violence begin on the streets of the crappiest city in the world.

chisoxmike
10-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Congrats, Phillies and Philly fans!

I like the hats.

DSpivack

Never been to Detroit, I take it?

LongLiveFisk
Congrats to the Phillies and their fans!! :bandance::gulp:

WhiteSox5187
10-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Congrats Philly.

veeter
10-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Brad Lidge- no blown saves all year. That's huge. Congrats Phillies.

RKMeibalane
10-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Another season is complete, and another franchise that is not the Cubs has won the World Series.

Brian26
10-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Congrats to the Phillies because they won the games when it counted most.

I honestly look at that lineup and their starting pitching and can't help but think there were four or five teams in the AL better than them, but they seemed to catch the Brewers, the Dodgers and the Rays all at the right time.

turners56
10-29-2008, 09:08 PM

Imagine what Detroit would of been like had they won in 2006. :o:

WSox73
10-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Another season is complete, and another franchise that is not the Cubs has won the World Series.

So true! :D: Congratulations Phillies!!!

LongLiveFisk
10-29-2008, 09:09 PM

I was there for the first time back in August and I rather liked it myself.

Of course, I was doing all the tourist things.

RKMeibalane
10-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Nice to see Selig getting the boos he deserves. :cool:

thedudeabides
10-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Congrats Phillies. I for one thought the Rays were taking them, but they played a great series. :gulp:

Brian26
10-29-2008, 09:13 PM

Yes, the mightly Bowie Kuhn no doubt would have made a blood pact with the gods of rain and thunder to keep the events of Monday night from ever happening.

hellview
10-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Makes me sick that a wife beating ******* like Myers now has a ring.

aryzner
10-29-2008, 09:14 PM
I don't know what to say or think about this World Series. To me it's been so poorly officiated that it was just completely blah. Peter Gammons wrote about the weather ruining it, I'd say the umpiring did.

Sockinchisox
10-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Hamels wins MVP again.

thomas35forever
10-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Hamels wins MVP again.
It was either gonna be him or Howard. I would've like either selection.

SoxSpeed22
10-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Hamels wins MVP again.Terrific performance throughout this postseason. He is going to be a stud for a long time.

DSpivack
10-29-2008, 09:18 PM
ESPN: Philly Reigns. :redneck

Brian26
10-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Makes me sick that a wife beating ******* like Myers now has a ring.

Yes, he's the only player who's ever won a World Series in the history of the game that has had off-the-field problems.

PKalltheway
10-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Well, there will be a whole village of kids in a third-world country with Tampa Bay Rays World Champions gear now.

chisoxfanatic
10-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Congrats, Phillies and Philly fans!

I like the hats.
But those shirts are gawd awful ugly! Ick!

Once the Sox were eliminated, they were the team I was pulling for the rest of the way. Nice job, Philly!

It WAS nice seeing them boo Bud Selig.

turners56
10-29-2008, 09:23 PM
*Waiting for ESPN to call Hamels the next Josh Beckett.

Oh wait, it already happened.

Really though, he had a great postseason. He's always been a good pitcher without much run support (shows up in his record). He's also kind of unknown to most casual fans. Well, most will know him now.

thomas35forever
10-29-2008, 09:25 PM
This is the third year in a row the World Series has ended on a strikeout.

Also, it's now tied 3-3 since the All-Star Game started counting.

Did McCarver just say 66 losses for Tampa last year and 97 wins this year??

Evman5
10-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Congrats Phillies, I always considered them the White Sox of the NL. Always atleast mediocre and then mix in a few playoff runs every so often. They were a great team.

turners56
10-29-2008, 09:27 PM
This is the third year in a row the World Series has ended on a strikeout.

Also, it's now tied 3-3 since the All-Star Game started counting.

Did McCarver just say 66 losses for Tampa last year and 97 wins this year??

McCarver's dumbass mistakes. Ha.

Brian26
10-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Wow, Fox couldn't fill another half hour with post-game coverage to take it to 11PM Eastern. Pathetic.

ChiSoxGirl
10-29-2008, 09:31 PM
No more baseball.... :whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

RKMeibalane
10-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Ryan Howard can add another piece of hardware to his trophy case. A ROY, an MVP, two home run titles, and now a World Championship.

chisoxmike
10-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Wow, Fox couldn't fill another half hour with post-game coverage to take it to 11PM Eastern. Pathetic.

Really.

Show some fan celebrations. Show the clubhouse celebration. Less Joe Buck and more baseball.

FOX SUCKS!

october23sp
10-29-2008, 09:34 PM
2 of the 3 North Dakotans in big leagues now have rings.:D:

RKMeibalane
10-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Really.

Show some fan celebrations. Show the clubhouse celebration. Less Joe Buck and more baseball.

FOX SUCKS!

Sucks sounded extremely bitter as he made his closing comments. It's good that we don't have to listen to him and McCarver for a while.

PKalltheway
10-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Tell me about it. C'mon Fox, it's the World Series, not the NLCS. How about a little more postgame?

thomas35forever
10-29-2008, 09:37 PM
I was disappointed they didn't show the end credits. Seriously?

PKalltheway
10-29-2008, 09:41 PM
I was disappointed they didn't show the credits. Seriously?
I noticed that. I can't wait for Fox's contract to run out. Maybe NBC can get the World Series back then.

champagne030
10-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Imagine what Detroit would of been like had they won in 2006. :o:

There's nobody left in Detroit. I cannot think of a more scum-filled downtown than Philly. I've seen "tricks" being turned less than a block from the Liberty Bell on different trips into the cesspool, that is downtown Philadelphia.

guillensdisciple
10-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Congrats, now to relieve the pain of the Sox not winning it all I am going right ahead to football and basketball.

GO BEARS!!!

GO BULLS!!!

chisoxmike
10-29-2008, 09:53 PM
There's nobody left in Detroit. I cannot think of a more scum-filled downtown than Philly. I've seen "tricks" being turned less than a block from the Liberty Bell on different trips into the cesspool, that is downtown Philadelphia.

What do you have against Philly?

veeter
10-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Congrats, now to relieve the pain of the Sox not winning it all I am going right ahead to football and basketball.

GO BEARS!!!

GO BULLS!!!Go Blackhawks too!!

chisoxfanatic
10-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Go Blackhawks too!!
Word!

Red Barchetta
10-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Well, there will be a whole village of kids in a third-world country with Tampa Bay Rays World Champions gear now.

I was in a local (Tampa) Sports Authority yesterday and it was slammed full of Rays World Series Jerseys/gear. I bet they will all be 50% off by the end of the week.

I'm happy the Rays had a good season and finally got the Red Sox/Yankees monkey off their back. Hopefully this will improve the core fan base and the bandwagoners who cannot name five Rays players will go back to college football for their excitement.

champagne030
10-29-2008, 10:05 PM
What do you have against Philly?

I have nothing against the Phillies, but their downtown is a travesty. You go to landmarks like the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall after dark and it's a whorehouse. I know they have big problems with their police being understaffed, but that's a huge turnoff to visitors, or maybe I'm in the minority? There's hookers on the street in front of every 4-5 star hotel along Market Street.....That's just wrong.........

LongLiveFisk
10-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I have nothing against the Phillies, but their downtown is a travesty. You go to landmarks like the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall after dark and it's a whorehouse. I know they have big problems with their police being understaffed, but that's a huge turnoff to visitors, or maybe I'm in the minority? There's hookers on the street in front of every 4-5 star hotel along Market Street.....That's just wrong.........

Yeah, as much as I loved hanging around Independence Hall and that whole historic district (I'm a major history nerd), I admit I didn't feel that safe after dark in those areas. And it's a shame too; if they're willing to go to such lengths to preserve the buildings and landmarks, then they should care as equally about preserving the decency and safety of the areas in which this historic district is located. To not do so is sacriligious, in my opinion.

Again, congrats to the Phillies on a great season!

mccoydp
10-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Congrats to the Phillies on their second championship.

What a season of redemption for Brad Lidge after being the goat in 2005. Just a huge year for him!

DoItForDanPasqua
10-29-2008, 10:44 PM
What a season of redemption for Brad Lidge after being the goat in 2005.

I love his timing.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Congratulations to the Phillies. It's surprising to see a National League team win two out of three years.

guillensdisciple
10-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Go Blackhawks too!!
Woops, I am sorry, I just got into hockey (yes, I bandwagoned the Blackhaws) but I am liking what I see. So....

GO BEARS!!!

GO BULLS!!!

AND GO BLACKHAWKS!!!

doublem23
10-29-2008, 10:59 PM
When do pitchers and catchers report?

Thome25
10-29-2008, 11:01 PM

Or Baltimore for that matter.

Lundind1
10-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Congratulations to the Fightin Phils. They had it all come together at just the right time. I knew they had a good ballclub but now I must admit that they may have a great one. A friend of mine grew up in Philly and he seemed nervous a week and a half ago. I congratulated him already and told him to enjoy it for as long as you can, it all goes by really quickly.

ohthosechisox
10-29-2008, 11:04 PM
When do pitchers and catchers report?

113 days which is February 20th according to Baseball Almanac. :D:

And congrats Phillies!

Hitmen77
10-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Congrats to the Phillies and their fans for winning second championship in franchise history.

All hail Philadelphia

and congrats to Tampa Bay for a wonderful season.

Congratulations Phillies! I remember as a kid watching on TV Tug McGraw get the final out as the Phillies won their first-ever World Series in 1980.

The Phillies have thrown water on my argument that the NL totally sucks, but their world championship was well earned.

They are the last of the original 16 franchises in existence in 1903 to win their 2nd World Series championship. The first of the original 16 teams to do it was Chicago (NL) in 1908. That must have been the start of a great run of titles for them.

By the way, 3 expansion teams have also won the WS twice (Mets, Blue Jays, Marlins)

doublem23
10-29-2008, 11:22 PM
The Phillies have thrown water on my argument that the NL totally sucks, but their world championship was well earned.

I don't neccessarily know if that's true. The best teams in the National League are still pretty good; the AL is do much more dominant than the NL because it is so deeper. The difference between #1 and #6 in the NL, for example is far wider than #1 and #6 in the A.L.

The Phillies would be OK in the American League, but all those mediocre NL teams that float around .500 for the season (Florida, Atlanta, Houston, etc.) would get absolutely pulvarized in the American League. Meanwhile, middle of the road A.L. teams (Toronto, Yankees, Detroit, Texas) would pillage and burn the National League.

Medford Bobby
10-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Brad Lidge- no blown saves all year. That's huge. Congrats Phillies.
And that's a turn-around since the 2005 playoff run!

Frontman
10-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Glad to see Lidge's redemption came in the World Series.........

four years later.

Hats off to the Fightin' Phils.

Medford Bobby
10-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Do you think Aaron Rowand is happy counting cash during this off season instead of playing for team and city that actually liked him as much as Sox fans did????:o::scratch:

TheOldRoman
10-29-2008, 11:58 PM
I was disappointed they didn't show the end credits. Seriously?Does anyone else remember when, after the NBA Finals ended and the Bulls won, they showed a highlight video with the credits in front of it and played the "Winning it All" song? Yeah, that was awesome. I looked forward to it every year when I was a kid.

Congrats to the Phillies. This came just a year after they became the first franchise to lose 10,000 games. They may only have two world championships in 126 years, but they have two in the last 29. Good for them.

Fenway
10-30-2008, 12:09 AM

Philly is a lot better now than it was 20 years ago.

Still the subway is a disgrace and frightening after dark.

But the Phillies fan base has been fiercely loyal and knows the game.

thomas35forever
10-30-2008, 12:18 AM
From this:
http://www.whiterose.org/pete/blog/images/pujols02.jpg

To this:
http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/images/2008/10/29/DjDpWLTG.jpg

Fenway
10-30-2008, 12:21 AM
FOX and ESPN never do credits to salute the troops working the equipment. NBC and also CBS took great pains to do so.

The late Harry Coyle who directed the World Series for over 40 years at NBC was very candid in saying it was the crew that made him look good.

FOX did a great technical job considering the conditions in Philadelphia. High tech equipment doesn't like cold and wet.

TheKittle
10-30-2008, 12:51 AM
FOX and ESPN never do credits to salute the troops working the equipment. NBC and also CBS took great pains to do so.

The late Harry Coyle who directed the World Series for over 40 years at NBC was very candid in saying it was the crew that made him look good.

FOX did a great technical job considering the conditions in Philadelphia. High tech equipment doesn't like cold and wet.

I once read that Coyle's idea was to always follow the ball. But when Fisk hit that HR in the 75 WS, a rat scared the cameraman, so instead of following the ball, the camera was stuck on Fisk. Thus creating the most overrrated moment in WS history.

Fenway
10-30-2008, 12:56 AM

Bud dropped the ball bigtime on Monday night. Not telling FOX the game would go nine innings no matter what looks suspect given nothing was done until the Rays tied the game.

Hopefully MLB will make this an official rule ( game must go 9 innings in post-season ) so everybody knows beforehand.

LoveYourSuit
10-30-2008, 12:57 AM

I've been to Detroit and Cleveland for that matter, I knew it was crap before I got there. But the people of those towns were not rude and scarry (I'm talking about the normal folks).

Philly not only was surprsingly crappy for a major metropolitan city, it was very scarry and intimidating and not a single nice person can be found there. A very dirt city too. And I grew up in Chicago, so I have lived in an urban environment.

captainclutch24
10-30-2008, 01:03 AM
congrats phillies!

congrats to cole hamels a stud of a San Diego area prospect

Fenway
10-30-2008, 01:13 AM
I once read that Coyle's idea was to always follow the ball. But when Fisk hit that HR in the 75 WS, a rat scared the cameraman, so instead of following the ball, the camera was stuck on Fisk. Thus creating the most overrrated moment in WS history.

True story about the rat inside the Fenway scoreboard that spooked the cameraman.

Funny thing about that replay of Fisk was that if you look at the game tape that replay doesn't appear until 4 minutes pass. It changed sports television as from then on cameras have been dedicated for reaction shots.

Coyle could cover a game with 4 cameras better than FOX today using 20. His instict was flawless.

TommyJohn
10-30-2008, 07:17 AM

To me that is a distant number 2 to Kirk Gibson hitting his home run and circling the bases screaming like a madman.

tstrike2000
10-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Philly deserved it with the way they've played and Hamels stepping it up like a true ace. Congrats to them.

spawn
10-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Congrats to the Phils, and congrats to the Rays for their remarkable season.

Fenway
10-30-2008, 07:50 AM
To me that is a distant number 2 to Kirk Gibson hitting his home run and circling the bases screaming like a madman.

Many Red Sox fans will tell you that Bernie Carbo's homer in the 8th of Game 6 was more memorable. Carbo looked so lost at the plate and Boston was 3 runs down in an elimination game with 4 outs to go. Fenway was dead and then bedlam.......

Frontman
10-30-2008, 08:05 AM

Fen,

Buck made a point of talking about the production crew last night as he was signing off. They definately deserved the credit; and he did right by them last night.

Frontman
10-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Do you think Aaron Rowand is happy counting cash during this off season instead of playing for team and city that actually liked him as much as Sox fans did????:o::scratch:

I bet he is. I also bet that the Phillies fans are more enjoying a ring than an outfielder breaking his nose for no good reason.

aryzner
10-30-2008, 08:15 AM
From this:

Hoooooo man I remember watching that thing. That was an absolute BOMB that Pujols hit there. It's funny because the reporter after the game brought up Lidge's last postseason and that was the very first thing I thought of.

Hitmen77
10-30-2008, 08:17 AM
I don't neccessarily know if that's true. The best teams in the National League are still pretty good; the AL is do much more dominant than the NL because it is so deeper. The difference between #1 and #6 in the NL, for example is far wider than #1 and #6 in the A.L.

The Phillies would be OK in the American League, but all those mediocre NL teams that float around .500 for the season (Florida, Atlanta, Houston, etc.) would get absolutely pulvarized in the American League. Meanwhile, middle of the road A.L. teams (Toronto, Yankees, Detroit, Texas) would pillage and burn the National League.

I agree, good point.

Hitmen77
10-30-2008, 08:19 AM
From this:

To this:
http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/images/2008/10/29/DjDpWLTG.jpg

I prefer to remember Podsednik's walkoff vs. Lidge as a contrast to this season. :cool:

palehozenychicty
10-30-2008, 08:28 AM
I've always been a fan of Philly. A lot of important American history took place on its streets, and the people love their teams. They have some good eats too, thanks to Stephen Starr and other chefs. Some can hate on it, and that's all good, but they deserved this title. Kudos to Philly and my people there.

The Phillies have always had colorful players, but rarely have the teams to win consistently. They have a foundation of young talent now to be a player in the NL East for a little while. Omar Minaya is ****ting a house now in Westchester. :tongue:

Fenway
10-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Fen,

Buck made a point of talking about the production crew last night as he was signing off. They definately deserved the credit; and he did right by them last night.

I saw that and it was very nice. I know most of the guys and gals working and they appreciate it. FOX is good for spreading the wealth around and used Philly and Baltimore crew for the games.

Free lancers are a tough bunch but everybody tries to make sure everybody stays working. On the east coast we opened slots for the crew people who worked Expos games and were top notch.

Hitmen77
10-30-2008, 08:56 AM
They are the last of the original 16 franchises in existence in 1903 to win their 2nd World Series championship.

...by the way, the second to last of the original franchises to notch their 2nd World Series title was the Minnesota Twins in 1987 (they won their 1st title in 1924 as the Washington Senators).

Here's were the MLB teams now stand in terms of number of WS titles (2 titles or more):

Yankees: 26
Cardinals: 10
Athletics: 9 (5 titles in Philadelphia, 4 in Oakland)
Red Sox: 7
Dodgers: 6 (1 in Brooklyn, 5 in LA)
Reds: 5
Pirates: 5
Giants: 5 (all 5 in New York, zero in SF)
Tigers: 4
White Sox: 3
Braves: 3 (1 in Boston, 1 in Milwaukee, 1 in Atlanta)
Twins: 3 (1 in Washington, 2 in Minnesota)
Orioles: 3
Phillies: 2
Marlins: 2
Blue Jays: 2
Mets: 2
Indians: 2
Cubs: 2

Fenway
10-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Been to many games in Philadelphia and have many memories.

In 2003 on Labor Day the Red Sox and Phillies had to play a makeup game and the game drew close to 68,000. The Vet was in its last month and on that day they honored the 1980 Phillies. That team is as loved in Philly as the 85 Bears are in Chicago.

The Phillies will never be #1 in the market as the Eagles are kings. However the Phillies are a solid #2 and they enjoy being the only MLB team in the 4th largest market. Their fanbase is limited to metro Philly as the Yankees kick in 30 miles north (around Trenton) and Scranton is heavily Yankees as well. To the south they run into Baltimore territory and to the west as far as Harrisburg.

Phillies fans can be harsh but they watch every pitch. The way they treated Bonds was hysterical. The Phanatic is beloved by all.

With yet another franchise winning in this decade it makes one appreciate the Yankees 4 out of 5 from 96-00 even more remarkable.

TheKittle
10-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Been to many games in Philadelphia and have many memories.

In 2003 on Labor Day the Red Sox and Phillies had to play a makeup game and the game drew close to 68,000. The Vet was in its last month and on that day they honored the 1980 Phillies. That team is as loved in Philly as the 85 Bears are in Chicago.

The Phillies will never be #1 in the market as the Eagles are kings. However the Phillies are a solid #2 and they enjoy being the only MLB team in the 4th largest market. Their fanbase is limited to metro Philly as the Yankees kick in 30 miles north (around Trenton) and Scranton is heavily Yankees as well. To the south they run into Baltimore territory and to the west as far as Harrisburg.

Ok so you're saying that as fans in Harrisburg are mostly Orioles fans? I have friends in Harrisburg and I saw so many Phillies caps, jerseys etc.

No question about the Yankees since their AAA team is in Scranton or Barre or whatever that third city is.

I would also say if the Sixers AND Phils are winning, I think Philly is more of a basketball city.

Fenway
10-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Ok so you're saying that as fans in Harrisburg are mostly Orioles fans? I have friends in Harrisburg and I saw so many Phillies caps, jerseys etc.

No question about the Yankees since their AAA team is in Scranton or Barre or whatever that third city is.

I would also say if the Sixers AND Phils are winning, I think Philly is more of a basketball city.

Oh I would say Philly may also be the best hockey city in the US. The AHL Phantoms draw very well.

Orioles draw very well from southern Pennsylvania ( markets like York) that are adjacent to Maryland. By Harrisburg it tilts towards Pittsburgh as there is severe hatred towards Philly in central PA.

Lip Man 1
10-30-2008, 10:50 AM
This is the correct time to bring this up. Another "brilliant" prediction by the good people of Baseball Prospectus.... just last week in S.I. our "friend" Joe Sheehan wrote a sidebar story with lots of facts and figures on the series.

His computer concluded that Hammels would give Philly a "punchers chance" but that the superior team from the superior league would win "in six games."

Ooooppppsssss.

:o:

LOL

Lip

Fenway
10-30-2008, 11:14 AM
This is the correct time to bring this up. Another "brilliant" prediction by the good people of Baseball Prospectus.... just last week in S.I. our "friend" Joe Sheehan wrote a sidebar story with lots of facts and figures on the series.

His computer concluded that Hammels would give Philly a "punchers chance" but that the superior team from the superior league would win "in six games."

Ooooppppsssss.

:o:

LOL

Lip

I think blowing Game 5 of the ALCS and then having to play 2 more games caught up with the Rays in the end.

I also have no doubt the Phillies would so well in the AL as Gillick constructed them like an AL team.

Certainly a worthy champion.

kobo
10-30-2008, 11:37 AM
With yet another franchise winning in this decade it makes one appreciate the Yankees 4 out of 5 from 96-00 even more remarkable.
Agree. And with the way the game has changed, I don't know if another team will come close to not only repeating as champions but having a run similair to that Yankee run.

VenturaFan23
10-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Congrats Phillies. Don't care much for the fanbase but I like the team, especially Utley.

palehozenychicty
10-30-2008, 11:53 AM
I think blowing Game 5 of the ALCS and then having to play 2 more games caught up with the Rays in the end.

I also have no doubt the Phillies would so well in the AL as Gillick constructed them like an AL team.

Certainly a worthy champion.

That didn't help, but I truly believe that playing Game 3 at 10:08 PM ET was the beginning of the end for Tampa.

It's possible that the Phils would have won anyway, but Uncle Bud and his thieves strike again. I seriously doubt if a New York, LA, or Chicago team was competing that they'd start a Saturday night game at 10:08 ET.

Fenway
10-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Agree. And with the way the game has changed, I don't know if another team will come close to not only repeating as champions but having a run similair to that Yankee run.

Boston has come closest with 4 appearances in the LCS over 6 seasons. With 3 levels of playoffs it is not easy to win.

The late start Saturday was a farce. I guess FOX and MLB thought being a Saturday night viewers would come back after watching Ohio State-Penn State but they didn't. Most sports bars would not tie up a screen showing a sitcom and the game was forgotten.

If the Mets were involved the start on Saturday would have been after 11 Eastern time as the storm moved north.

Weather in late October in the Northeast and Midwest is a crapshoot. In 1997 they played a World Series game in a snow squall at Cleveland. 2 years ago in Detroit it was freezing.

They will not shorten the season as teams want 81 openings. Sooner or later the LDS series will be made seven games as well which means starting the season in late March.

My biggest fear is they will make the World Series a neutral site in a good weather area or where there is a dome. I would not put it past the idiots who run the game to try it.

whitesox901
10-30-2008, 01:06 PM
eh, when it was down to BOS @ TB and the phillies had already won the pennant, i knew i was done with baseball for the season

Scottiehaswheels
10-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Time: 3:28. (Plus unknown delay totaling 0 minutes in the 6th).

I love this blurb on the Yahoo box score. I guess they don't count if the delay is days and not minutes.

Madscout
10-30-2008, 02:19 PM
The Rays did themselves in, pure and simple. You can't have your pitchers, nay, your bullpen walk as many as they did and expect to win. You just can't. Congrats Phils for taking advatage of the many opportunities that were given to you.

turners56
10-30-2008, 03:03 PM
The Rays did themselves in, pure and simple. You can't have your pitchers, nay, your bullpen walk as many as they did and expect to win. You just can't. Congrats Phils for taking advatage of the many opportunities that were given to you.

What did the Rays in was game 5 of the ALCS. Ever since then, with the exception of Price, their bullpen has been complete garbage.

oeo
10-30-2008, 03:41 PM
What did the Rays in was game 5 of the ALCS. Ever since then, with the exception of Price, their bullpen has been complete garbage.

And if they go in hoping for the best next year (i.e., not moving pieces around), it will likely be garbage next year, too. The Rays got lucky in their pen this year.

They'll finish in third place next year.

chisoxfanatic
10-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Oh I would say Philly may also be the best hockey city in the US. The AHL Phantoms draw very well.
I disagree. The best hockey city in the US is Minneapolis, IMHO. Minnesota should be called the "State of Hockey" FWIW.
I'd say blowing Game 5 of the ALCS and having the series drawn out to the limit was as detrimental to the Rays as our Sox not clinching the division until the tie-breaker was. I honestly believe we would have won that series had we not had to start Javy in Game 1, and then we might've been the ones playing the Phillies in the World Series.

TheKittle
10-30-2008, 04:04 PM
I disagree. The best hockey city in the US is Minneapolis, IMHO. Minnesota should be called the "State of Hockey" FWIW.

Wait, it's not Detroit? ****ing redwings fans can go to hell.

chisoxfanatic
10-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Wait, it's not Detroit? ****ing redwings fans can go to hell.
When you can't even sell out playoff games, you do not deserve the title as "Hockeytown."

DumpJerry
10-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Having lived there for seven years, I have to slightly disagree. The whole state of Minnesota places hockey above religion, food, water, and shelter. Except for NHL hockey. When I was up there, the only time they would even notice the North Stars was when the North Stars would win games. Otherwise, they could not give a rat's ass about the the team. That is why they left for Dallas. There weren't enough Minnesota natives on the team (i.e. less than 100% of the roster) to keep their attention. Even when the Brotens were on the team.

LongLiveFisk
10-30-2008, 08:24 PM

He's as happy now as Magglio was in 2005. :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
10-30-2008, 09:28 PM
He's as happy now as Magglio was in 2005. :tongue:
Oh, but Maggs did not have a World Series ring in his possession in 2005 like Rowand presently has. :cool:

LongLiveFisk
10-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Oh, but Maggs did not have a World Series ring in his possession in 2005 like Rowand presently has. :cool:

True. I'm sure it makes a difference psychologically, but you know Rowand's probably thinking, "****, I could have had TWO rings!" :angry:

cub killer
10-31-2008, 06:25 AM
Fox usually has a closing montage at the end of every World Series which features scrolling credits of everyone involved in the production. This year, they just showed a couple of clips of Phillies talking and then it ended abruptly. What the hell.

I hope they didn't do that for the 2005 WS. Here in Chicago, they cut to local coverage before Buck and McCarver were able to say goodbye for the season. I wonder how it was for the out-of-market broadcast.

thomas35forever
10-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Fox usually has a closing montage at the end of every World Series which features scrolling credits of everyone involved in the production. This year, they just showed a couple of clips of Phillies talking and then it ended abruptly. What the hell.

I hope they didn't do that for the 2005 WS. Here in Chicago, they cut to local coverage before Buck and McCarver were able to say goodbye for the season. I wonder how it was for the out-of-market broadcast.
I was kind of miffed myself when the local coverage cut in. I wanted to see the closing credits montage that Fox did. I still haven't seen it.

HomeFish
10-31-2008, 12:54 PM
I think Rowand is happy swimming in his money bin and couldn't care less about how many rings he could or could not have.

I'm sure Jose Canseco is selling all of his World Series rings and other prizes on eBay. Rowand could buy those all up and still have enough for multiple generations of his family to live off without having to do any work.

SOXSINCE'70
10-31-2008, 10:40 PM
I noticed that. I can't wait for Fox's contract to run out. Maybe NBC can get the World Series back then.

Vin Scully,Tony Kubek and/or the late Joe Gargiola
sure would sound good now.

Fenway
10-31-2008, 10:50 PM

Joe Gargiola is still on the planet and pops up on XM at times.

But I think we all agree that NBC had a love for baseball that no network has shown since.

Fenway
10-31-2008, 11:04 PM

But I think we all agree that NBC had a love for baseball that no network has shown since.

Brian26
11-01-2008, 02:28 PM

Vin and Joe doing the NL game, Kubek and Costas doing the AL game, with the Baseball Bunch and This Week in Baseball on before them. Those were the days...