PDA

View Full Version : Angels buy out Garret Anderson at $3M

Stoky44
10-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Yesterday the Angels bought out Anderson instead of his $14MM '09 option.

I do not want the Sox to pick this guy up, but some people think he had a bad year. Looking at his numbers, they are not bad. I am not sure why people are so down on him.

Batted .293, 25hr, 84 rbi; Offensively pretty similar to Torri Hunter.

Again I do not want the Sox to get him, I am just wondering what you guys thought of his year. I know he is old and slowing down. Funny thing though is he would have been tied with 4th most stolen bases on our club this year, and would have lead the team in tripples.

I think he will produce as a 6th hitter for someone next year. Probably would rather have him over Griffey Jr.

DSpivack
10-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Yeah, the last thing the Sox need is an aging OF.

That said, the guy has had a great career with the Angels and it'd be a shame to see him on another team.

kittle42
10-29-2008, 10:36 AM
He'll be a fine DH somewhere.

veeter
10-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I give it two hours before he's rumored to be that elusive bat the cubs have to have.

palehozenychicty
10-29-2008, 11:13 AM

I do not want the Sox to pick this guy up, but some people think he had a bad year. Looking at his numbers, they are not bad. I am not sure why people are so down on him.

Again I do not want the Sox to get him, I am just wondering what you guys thought of his year. I know he is old and slowing down. Funny thing though is he would have been tied with 4th most stolen bases on our club this year, and would have lead the team in tripples.

I think he will produce as a 6th hitter for someone next year. Probably would rather have him over Griffey Jr.

That is just a damn shame. A team like Toronto could use him as a DH, but I don't know how he'd hold up on that carpet.

Stoky44
10-29-2008, 11:16 AM

Yeah, the last thing the Sox need is an aging OF.

I say it twice in my post, and what is the first comment. hahaha

Just wanted to make conversation about Garret Anderson that's all.

Rockabilly
10-29-2008, 11:22 AM
I think Anderson will sign with the Rays and Griffey will go back to Seattle...

doublem23
10-29-2008, 12:04 PM
I think Anderson will sign with the Rays and Griffey will go back to Seattle...

Do the Rays have room in their OF for Anderson? Seems they've got young up and coming studs at nearly every position.

Rockabilly
10-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Im thinking Anderson will be the Rays DH

TheKittle
10-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Signing GA would be like the Yankees signing, Tim Raines, Strawberry, Justice, etc. Good players at the end of their careers who can still contribute to a team, just not everyday.

At $5 million a year, he's would be a good pick for some teams. At $13 million he's overpaid.

HomeFish
10-29-2008, 02:22 PM
I'd take him over the outfielder named Anderson that the Sox currently have.

Stoky44
10-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Signing GA would be like the Yankees signing, Tim Raines, Strawberry, Justice, etc. Good players at the end of their careers who can still contribute to a team, just not everyday.

At $5 million a year, he's would be a good pick for some teams. At $13 million he's overpaid.

What makes you say he can't contribute everyday.
Last year stats:
G:145 AB:557 H:163 2B:27 3B:3 HR:15 RBI:84 BA:.293

If those are not "play everday" numbers, then there are a ton of not everyday players. Keep in mind I am not saying he should play the OF everyday, but he sure would be a pretty good DH.

AGAIN: NOT SAYING I WANT THE SOX TO GET HIM

DumpJerry
10-29-2008, 02:42 PM
I'd take him over the outfielder named Anderson that the Sox currently have.
Of course you would.

champagne030
10-29-2008, 02:57 PM
They're creating salary space for Paulie.

TheKittle
10-29-2008, 03:05 PM
What makes you say he can't contribute everyday.
Last year stats:
G:145 AB:557 H:163 2B:27 3B:3 HR:15 RBI:84 BA:.293

If those are not "play everday" numbers, then there are a ton of not everyday players. Keep in mind I am not saying he should play the OF everyday, but he sure would be a pretty good DH.

AGAIN: NOT SAYING I WANT THE SOX TO GET HIM

Last year was the first year he played in/produced over a full year. The past few years he's either been hurt or didn't produce. He's clearly on the downside of his career. Those 30 HR 90 more RBI's days are over and he's terrible in the field.

JermaineDye05
10-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Can he still play center field?

Hitmen77
10-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Was he the last member of the Angels to play for them when they were still the California Angels?

RKMeibalane
10-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Was he the last member of the Angels to play for them when they were still the California Angels?

He was.

Stoky44
10-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Last year was the first year he played in/produced over a full year. The past few years he's either been hurt or didn't produce. He's clearly on the downside of his career. Those 30 HR 90 more RBI's days are over and he's terrible in the field.

-I am not saying he is going to be a 30 (he only hit 30 or more in 1 season) and 90 guy, but that doesn't mean he can't be an everyday starter.
-He is on his downside (not a 30 hr and 115 rbi anymore) the guy is in his mid 30's, again doesn't mean he can't be an everday player with average to above average numbers (batting over 280, over 80rbi, and 15hr).
-He is terrible in the field, but that dose not stop a lot of teams from having playing bad fielders everyday... he could also become an everyday DH... or platoon DH/OF as an everyday player.
-Since he came up to the bigs there has only been 2 years where he did not play in over 140 games but still played over 100 games, 2007=108 games 2004=112games
-Never hit below .280 in a season
-Hit 15 HRs or more every year, except in 2004 (14hr) in 114 games
-Had over 80rbi in every season, except in 2004 (75rbi)

Those numbers are probably in the top half of starting OF and DH. Which means he probably has the numbers to be an everyday player.
Now for how long is debatable, but based off his numbers he is still an everyday player, although not a 30 hr guy anymore...but how many players are?

Not saying I want him on the Sox, but this year he had a higher BA then anyone on the team and only 3 players had more rbi.

Eddo144
10-30-2008, 08:11 AM
-I am not saying he is going to be a 30 (he only hit 30 or more in 1 season) and 90 guy, but that doesn't mean he can't be an everyday starter.
-He is on his downside (not a 30 hr and 115 rbi anymore) the guy is in his mid 30's, again doesn't mean he can't be an everday player with average to above average numbers (batting over 280, over 80rbi, and 15hr).
-He is terrible in the field, but that dose not stop a lot of teams from having playing bad fielders everyday... he could also become an everyday DH... or platoon DH/OF as an everyday player.
-Since he came up to the bigs there has only been 2 years where he did not play in over 140 games but still played over 100 games, 2007=108 games 2004=112games
-Never hit below .280 in a season
-Hit 15 HRs or more every year, except in 2004 (14hr) in 114 games
-Had over 80rbi in every season, except in 2004 (75rbi)

Those numbers are probably in the top half of starting OF and DH. Which means he probably has the numbers to be an everyday player.
Now for how long is debatable, but based off his numbers he is still an everyday player, although not a 30 hr guy anymore...but how many players are?

Not saying I want him on the Sox, but this year he had a higher BA then anyone on the team and only 3 players had more rbi.
While I can't speak to how his HR and RBI compare to league averages, baseball-reference.com does let you compare his AVG, OBP, and SLG to league average.

Anderson's slash line: .293/.325/.433
League Average slash line: .272/.340/.426

He's slightly above average in SLG, well below average in OBP. Overall, he's just about an average hitter among all players, let alone OFs and DHs, who should be putting up better offensive numbers than other positions (except 1B).

pythons007
10-30-2008, 12:44 PM
This thread is already too large for the topic!