thedudeabides
10-28-2008, 03:57 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_10837562

turners56
10-28-2008, 04:01 PM
This guy was on the Olympic team.

ChiSox89
10-28-2008, 04:03 PM
nice. not a big move now, but who knows, maybe he can turn into a solid 2nd basemen with us

SoxSpeed22
10-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Worth a shot.

btrain929
10-28-2008, 04:10 PM
So how were we able to sign him? I don't think he was a free agent because I don't think he had the service time. Was he non-tendered? Was he not protected on the 40-man, so we could just claim him? I'm confused, but happy with the pickup. In the minors, he always showed good power along with decent speed (10-20 sb's). Since he hits righty, he can definitely battle Getz for the 2B starting job. We might see a little bit of a platoon here. Does anyone know if he plays any other positions, or strictly 2B?

thedudeabides
10-28-2008, 04:16 PM
So how were we able to sign him? I don't think he was a free agent because I don't think he had the service time. Was he non-tendered? Was he not protected on the 40-man, so we could just claim him? I'm confused, but happy with the pickup. In the minors, he always showed good power along with decent speed (10-20 sb's). Since he hits righty, he can definitely battle Getz for the 2B starting job. We might see a little bit of a platoon here. Does anyone know if he plays any other positions, or strictly 2B?

He was a former SS, but was converted right away to 2b. He has played a handful of games at 3b in the minors. So, he is pretty much just a 2b. He is suppose to have a solid glove and decent speed, decent pop, and of course strikes out a lot.

thedudeabides
10-28-2008, 04:18 PM

And to answer your first question, Colorado released him last week to clear room on their 40-man.

Madvora
10-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Probably a way to get Uribe out of the way. They might build up a few backups like Getz and Nix to make sure they won't need Juan around anymore.

btrain929
10-28-2008, 04:33 PM
And to answer your first question, Colorado released him last week to clear room on their 40-man.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks.

btrain929
10-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Probably a way to get Uribe out of the way. They might build up a few backups like Getz and Nix to make sure they won't need Juan around anymore.

Uribe is a Free Agent. He is already out of the way.

DeadMoney
10-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Not surprising ... it's such a KW move.

In fact, he sure works his ass off to try and find bargains like these that can have a massive impact (or fail with no huge consequences).

btrain929
10-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Chris Getz is in a batting cage as we speak.....

Craig Grebeck
10-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Good. Someone has to play 2nd in Charlotte.

Foulke You
10-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Uribe is a Free Agent. He is already out of the way.
Yep, and the word from Uribe's agent is that he prefers a starting job and there was a blurb in the papers a couple weeks ago that the Reds could have interest in him. I think Uribe is going to be playing elsewhere next season.

kittle42
10-28-2008, 05:38 PM

Nix was a plague on my fantasy team last season. He wasn't worth the $1 I paid for him.

oeo
10-28-2008, 05:46 PM

Not the case at all. Getz and Nix (I'm assuming since he hasn't played SS since rookie ball) are not versatile like Uribe is. We lose Uribe, and we have no real utility infielder. I guess Getz could fill that role, just not very well.

BubblingCalderon
10-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Great! Another guy who can't bunt

decolores9628
10-28-2008, 06:33 PM
I like it. Can't hurt that much.

thomas35forever
10-28-2008, 06:48 PM
I don't see him making the 25-man roster right away. He and Getz will probably battle it out during ST though.

kittle42
10-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I say the Sox also sign Laynce Nix and then get both of them to spell their first names in a more common way. :D:

btrain929
10-28-2008, 07:06 PM
I wonder who will be the first poster to welcome Jason Nicks to our team....

soxwon
10-28-2008, 07:57 PM

no chance getz or nix starts at 2b for us.
we need a vet after ramirez moves to ss.

Madvora
10-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Not the case at all. Getz and Nix (I'm assuming since he hasn't played SS since rookie ball) are not versatile like Uribe is. We lose Uribe, and we have no real utility infielder. I guess Getz could fill that role, just not very well.
I'm not considering Nix and Getz to both be up at the same time, and I'm not considering them to be versatile like Uribe, I think that they are just looking to build up a number of choices in the minor leagues that we can go to to any infield spots as necessary.

Zisk77
10-28-2008, 09:45 PM
I wonder who will be the first poster to welcome Jason Nicks to our team....

How about Stevie Nicks ... Stand Back

DumpJerry
10-28-2008, 10:18 PM
:KW
He is The Jayson Nix. TJN.

chisoxmike
10-28-2008, 10:19 PM
:KW
He is The Jayson Nix. TJN.

I don't think that one is going to catch on.

DumpJerry
10-28-2008, 11:06 PM
I don't think that one is going to catch on.
We said that about Quentin in December last year.

Craig Grebeck
10-28-2008, 11:17 PM
We said that about Quentin in December last year.
teal?

BleacherBandit
10-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Wasn't this guy on the olympic squad?

Isn't that a bad omen?

DumpJerry
10-29-2008, 07:18 AM

Isn't that a bad omen?
Why? Jon Garland was on the Oly sqaud, IIRC. He worked out very nicely.

Zisk77
10-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Why? Jon Garland was on the Oly sqaud, IIRC. He worked out very nicely.

Because Nix bunted a ball into his face.

hi im skot
10-29-2008, 10:49 AM

Isn't that a bad omen?

Ventura sucked.

lpneck
10-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Kenny being Kenny- I love it.

It's a pickup with no potential downside, and it's a guy who was the last pick of the supplemental first round in 2001.

Kenny just keeps picking up these "under the radar" guys who were first round draft picks who did not pan out at first, and it seems they are always successful after a scenery change.

esbrechtel
10-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Kenny being Kenny- I love it.

It's a pickup with no potential downside, and it's a guy who was the last pick of the supplemental first round in 2001.

Kenny just keeps picking up these "under the radar" guys who were first round draft picks who did not pan out at first, and it seems they are always successful after a scenery change.

But sure enough someone on this site will rip this and say we should have spent this money some where else...this guy is horrible, kenny sucks blah blah blah...

Sorry, I was reading the Griffey Jr. tread too much....

oeo
10-29-2008, 05:03 PM
But sure enough someone on this site will rip this and say we should have spent this money some where else...this guy is horrible, kenny sucks blah blah blah...

Sorry, I was reading the Griffey Jr. tread too much....

We traded our best hitting prospect for Carlos who? Fire Kenny!

guillensdisciple
10-29-2008, 05:39 PM
If Kenny Williams pulls another gem out of his ass I am going to claim him to be the best GM in the history of baseball.

Seriously, Carlos Quentin, Alexei Ramirez, Danks, Floyd, Thornton, Jenks, and probably a few others I can't think of.

How much more does he have, baseball genius!

oeo
10-29-2008, 05:45 PM
If Kenny Williams pulls another gem out of his ass I am going to claim him to be the best GM in the history of baseball.

Seriously, Carlos Quentin, Alexei Ramirez, Danks, Floyd, Thornton, Jenks, and probably a few others I can't think of.

How much more does he have, baseball genius!

I wouldn't put Danks into that category. He was still very highly regarded when we acquired him. The Rangers felt like they could contend in 2007 (haha), and saw Danks as at least a year away, if not more.

soxfanreggie
10-29-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't mind this signing at all. If he's giving us something, it's going to come cheap (baseball cheap that is, $400,000 would be a NICE payday).

PalehosePlanet
10-30-2008, 12:36 PM
This is actually a typical KW move: Pick up a once highly touted post-hype prospect who failed to impress his first time in the bigs.

I like it; nothing to lose.

TheVulture
10-30-2008, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't put Danks into that category. He was still very highly regarded when we acquired him. The Rangers felt like they could contend in 2007 (haha), and saw Danks as at least a year away, if not more.

That's still a killer trade, though.

NLaloosh
10-30-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm not expecting anything at all from Nix. I don't think he'll end being a contributor. I don't consider this anything to get excited about.

But, it costs the Sox virtually nothing so it's worth the risk for the slight cahnce that he ends up being worth something.

btrain929
10-30-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm not expecting anything at all from Nix. I don't think he'll end being a contributor. I don't consider this anything to get excited about.

But, it costs the Sox virtually nothing so it's worth the risk for the slight cahnce that he ends up being worth something.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything from Ramirez or Quentin in '08 either. I thought Ramirez was going to AAA to get used to pro ball in the 'States, and Quentin would go to AAA to rehab his shoulder. You just never know.....

champagne030
10-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Quentin would go to AAA to rehab his shoulder.

He was until Owens, thankfully, got hurt.

AnkleSox
10-30-2008, 09:02 PM
The Nix family really likes their Y's. JaYson and LaYnce.

4 points
10-31-2008, 03:47 AM
We signed Nix! Might as well give us the world series rings now and cancel the 2009 season.:gulp:

NLaloosh
10-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything from Ramirez or Quentin in '08 either. I thought Ramirez was going to AAA to get used to pro ball in the 'States, and Quentin would go to AAA to rehab his shoulder. You just never know.....

Well, that's apples and oranges. Quentin, Ramirez and Jenks were highly touted with mentions of stardom.

Nix upside might be a solid regular.

btrain929
10-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Well, that's apples and oranges. Quentin, Ramirez and Jenks were highly touted with mentions of stardom.

Nix upside might be a solid regular.

Ramirez was a player who dominated a Cuban league that was compared by some to A ball or AA ball at best.

Quentin was a stud in the minors, but then had back to back disappointing seasons in the bigs and was bothered by injuries. People weren't sure if his "stardom" tag had passed him by.

Nix was very highly touted in the Rockies system a few years back. He's had back to back standout years in the minors, and on the Olympic Team. His situation reminds me a lot of Quentin's. If he can have half of the success as Quentin, I'll be thrilled.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Low risk move in getting Nix. The worst is he plays second at Charlotte.

This year, he was probably one of the few players on the Rockies to hit for a higher average away than at home. Not that .150 vs. .063 is saying much.

Craig Grebeck
11-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Ramirez was a player who dominated a Cuban league that was compared by some to A ball or AA ball at best.

Quentin was a stud in the minors, but then had back to back disappointing seasons in the bigs and was bothered by injuries. People weren't sure if his "stardom" tag had passed him by.

Nix was very highly touted in the Rockies system a few years back. He's had back to back standout years in the minors, and on the Olympic Team. His situation reminds me a lot of Quentin's. If he can have half of the success as Quentin, I'll be thrilled.
You are crazy if you think Quentin's debut in MLB was disappointing. Just stop. There's no comparison.

btrain929
11-01-2008, 11:30 AM
You are crazy if you think Quentin's debut in MLB was disappointing. Just stop. There's no comparison.

Ok, his 2007 was disappointing.