PDA

View Full Version : DHL Delivery Man of the Year

JermaineDye05
10-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Congratulations to....Brad Lidge :o:

I'm surprised, I thought Francisco Rodriguez was pretty much guaranteed it for breaking the saves record. Lidge is not a bad choice at all though, 41/41.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081027&content_id=3647755&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

CubKilla
10-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Good. Glad to see the award go to a guy who acts like he has saved a baseball game before once the final out is made.

DeadMoney
10-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Congratulations to....Brad Lidge :o:

I'm surprised, I thought Francisco Rodriguez was pretty much guaranteed it for breaking the saves record. Lidge is not a bad choice at all though, 41/41.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081027&content_id=3647755&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

IMO Lidge deserves it.

I think 41 of 41 (2-0) is more impressive than 62 of 67 (2-3). In fact, with the exception of saves (and the pitcher can't control how many he gets), Lidge has Rodriguez edged-out in everything else.

Boondock Saint
10-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Lidge and Rodriguez were the first names that came to mind when I saw the thread. Glad to see Lidge won it. In my eyes, a perfect season beats having an absurd amount of opportunities every day of the week. And look at which one is pitching in the World Series.

whitesox901
10-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Lidge and Rodriguez were the first names that came to mind when I saw the thread. Glad to see Lidge won it. In my eyes, a perfect season beats having an absurd amount of opportunities every day of the week. And look at which one is pitching in the World Series.

Ditto

BleacherBandit
10-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Good. Rodriguez is a piece of ****.

TheKittle
10-27-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm not a Yankee fan but Riveria had a great season. Maybe one of the best in history for a closer.

The Critic
10-27-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm glad Ball Park Frank didn't win it.
Lidge has definitely shaken off whatever was getting to him in Houston.

Foulke You
10-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Look, I hate Francisco Rodriguez too but don't you think it is a bit odd that they didn't give it to the guy who broke the single season saves record?! 62 saves isn't enough to be the delivery man of the year? I almost wonder if Rodriguez's demeanor on the mound cost him the award.

The Critic
10-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Look, I hate Francisco Rodriguez too but don't you think it is a bit odd that they didn't give it to the guy who broke the single season saves record?! 62 saves isn't enough to be the delivery man of the year? I almost wonder if Rodriguez's demeanor on the mound cost him the award.

I think they didn't want to see his celebration dance when the award was announced.

palehozenychicty
10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm not a Yankee fan but Riveria had a great season. Maybe one of the best in history for a closer.

Lidge deserved it over Rodriguez. He didn't save as many games, but he won far more important games over the season than KRod.

As for Rivera, the guy never ceases to amaze me. He's so good, like Pujols, that he's arguably underrated.

Konerko05
10-27-2008, 02:36 PM

I can see why Lidge won the award. By definition a closer's job is to close games. Lidge closed every save opportunity with a 100% success rate.

You are right about Rivera though. He had a 1.40 ERA with a .665 WHIP. He almost allowed half as many base runners as Lidge, but in this position saves are valued.

Eddo144
10-27-2008, 03:12 PM
I'd say the fact that Rodriguez was barely above average in save percentage cost him this award.

Seriously, he had 69 chances to get a save, and blew 7 of them. To put that in perspective, if Lidge would have needed 28 more chances to get to 69. Of those 28, he'd only need to save 21 of them, or 75%, which would be terrible.

Or another way: more than one out of ever ten appearances, Rodriguez blew his save opportunity. Lidge blew none all season in 41 attempts.

hellview
10-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah to pointless awards!!!!!!!!!!

btrain929
10-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Have they announced the ROY awards yet?

turners56
10-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Good. Glad to see the award go to a guy who acts like he has saved a baseball game before once the final out is made.

I'm glad they gave it to somebody who actually deserves it. Saving 41 out of 41 games and not taking a loss for the entire season is much more impressive than getting 69 save opportunities and blowing 7 of them. I think Lidge was the better pitcher this year.

MHOUSE
11-08-2008, 03:22 AM
Lidge was 10x better this year. All his peripheral numbers besides total number of saves were better and he saved 100% including the postseason where K-Rod looked worn out and got beat up by the Sawx. Before this year only 2 or 3 pitchers had ever had 57 save CHANCES let alone 69. It's no wonder he broke the record. Plus, as someone said before, Lidge will pump his fist, shakes hands with his catcher, and high-five his teammates. Act like you've been there before Frankie. I can't even imagine what circus sideshow would have gone on had he saved a clinching game in the W.S. Barf.

Congrat to Lights-Out Lidge! :gulp:

chisoxfanatic
11-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Have they announced the ROY awards yet?
Not that I've heard of yet. Unfortunately, I think Tampa is going to edge us out here. Longoria probably'll get it.

Brian26
11-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Not that I've heard of yet. Unfortunately, I think Tampa is going to edge us out here. Longoria probably'll get it.

Longoria deserves it over Alexei.

Huisj
11-10-2008, 03:07 PM
If DHL isn't going to make deliveries in the US anymore, can Brad Lidge still get saves in the US as the reigning DHL Delivery Man?