PDA

View Full Version : Bartolo Colon

Jerry_Manuel
05-19-2002, 02:47 PM
If he is on the block, is there anyone who would like to see the Sox make a run at him? If people are willing to trade inside the division for Weaver, I don't see why it would be much different for Colon. I know he has some weight issues, but he is one of the better pitchers in the AL.

Buehrle, Colon, and Ritchie sounds like good 1-3 to me.

That's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Thoughts?

Daver
05-19-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
If he is on the block, is there anyone who would like to see the Sox make a run at him? If people are willing to trade inside the division for Weaver, I don't see why it would be much different for Colon. I know he has some weight issues, but he is one of the better pitchers in the AL.

Buehrle, Colon, and Ritchie sounds like good 1-3 to me.

That's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Thoughts?

Colon is in the last year of a contract with a 6 million option for next year,Weaver is under contract till 2005,that is the main difference.

If a trade was made I would rather it be for Weaver than Colon,Colon may eat himself out of the game in two years.

MarqSox
05-19-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by daver

Colon is in the last year of a contract with a 6 million option for next year,Weaver is under contract till 2005,that is the main difference.

If a trade was made I would rather it be for Weaver than Colon,Colon may eat himself out of the game in two years.

Good call, I see a lot of Wilson Alverez in Colon. I wouldn't be opposed to acquiring Colon, but I'd rather have Weaver.

Garrison
05-20-2002, 05:29 PM
Weaver over Colon any day! Colon is fat and he is going to keep gaining weight. Look at what happened to Wells with us. Colon is a decent pitcher but he's so fat and ugly that i wouldn't want to see him in a Sox uniform. Besides there are better pitchers at better prices/deals that Colon. He's not the best option right now. I'd like to see some stats on him. A little later perhaps.....

Garrison
05-20-2002, 06:07 PM
Wow, I pretty much take back what I said in my last post. I just checked out the numbers on Colon and he is a lot better than I thought. Some stats:

5-3 2.77 ERA (9 starts) 2 CG 1 SHO
65IP 22R(20ER)
52H 9HR 18BB(+2HBP) 41K

Those are some pretty good-looking numbers for a guy who would be our #2 guy most likely. Striking out 41 vs. only 20 free passes is a lot better than most of our pitching staff. Also he's averaging a little over seven innings per start with two complete games to boot. That would be a big help to our rotation. If a Buehrle, Colon, Ritchie top three could go 7-8 innings each start then we could help rest the bullpen for a weaker #4-#5 guys. Hopefully we could trade for a #4 guy and move Danny Wright to #5. Except for the weight problem, I wouldn't mind having Colon on the team. Trading within the division wouldn't be the best, but giving them C Lee won't put them over the top. Anyone know any contract/salary stats for Bartolo?

Paulwny
05-20-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Garrison
Anyone know any contract/salary stats for Bartolo?

According to Daver's post in this thread:

Colon is in the last year of a contract with a 6 million option for next year,Weaver is under contract till 2005,

OEO Magglio
05-20-2002, 09:46 PM
Espn and Peter Gammons(I know he's not very reliable) said that in the next couple of weeks Cleveland is going to be shopping Bartolo Colon around, and see what they can get for him, we wont go after him, but I think we should definetly make an offer, and try to get Colon, if we got Colon we would have 3 real good pitchers, and then we can take some time to get Garland or Wright devoloped, because with 3 solid starters and then with biddle coming back soon, we can have a pretty descent rotation, and maybe if our pitching pitches well, our hitting will actually look interested, and will become a real contender.

Garrison
05-20-2002, 09:52 PM
Buehrle
Colon
Ritchie
Biddle
Wright

That's what I want to see as our rotation. Go out and get Colon. Check out his stats. On a mediocre club the guy is pitching awesome. If they could get him to drop a few pounds he'd be a great guy to have. Ritchie isn't a #2 starter. He's at best a #3 and that's where he'd fit on this team. He gives us a chance to win every game and pitches well. Garland hasn't been able to prove he can start. Put him in the pen where he has pitched well before and maybe start him later on. Wright is going to be good if he has time to develop and get his stuff in order. At #5 he would have way less pressure than #3 and IMO blossom into a good future starter. Biddle can handle #4 WHEN HE IS HEALTHY. How does this sound to you guys?