PDA

View Full Version : Hank Aaron Award Winners...WOW!

JermaineDye05
10-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Kevin Youkilis in the AL

and

Aramis Ramirez in the NL

:puking::puking:

Methinks Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton got snubbed.

MLB fans

http://samuelpablo.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/epic_fail.jpg

TheOldRoman
10-26-2008, 06:56 PM
I can't stand Youkilis, but he isn't a jagoff as far as I know. But Ramirez? Wow.

In other words, Barry Bonds is receiving an award for humanitarian of the year.

Eddo144
10-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Um...wow indeed.

First of all, Albert Pujols had an utterly phenomenal season. He basically lapped the field. They could rename the award in his honor. No, not really, but he's just on another level out there.

Secondly, Aramis Ramirez? Did voters select "Ramirez" thinking they were choosing Manny? Aramis had a fairly pedestrian year.

Third, Hamilton did not get snubbed. He wasn't even the second best hitter on his own team; both Kinsler and Bradley had better years. I'd say the AL award could have gone to Mauer, Youkilis, or A-Rod before Hamilton, so the voters didn't really mess that one up too much.

Fourth, Albert Pujols just had too good a year to be ignored. What a joke.

Fifth, Pujols.

Sixth, Albert P., the one on the Cardinals.

Get my point?

BleacherBandit
10-26-2008, 07:03 PM
What? No Lastings Milledge?

chisoxmike
10-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Meaningless award.

Lip Man 1
10-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Folks:

The fans voted the winners...Cub fans...Red Sox fans...that's all you need to know.

Lip

Rdy2PlayBall
10-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Haha! Don't the fans vote? Id be surprised If Fukudome didn't get the award over Pujols with the way Cubs fans swarm. Seriously though... those winners kind of seem like a joke to the whole season. :scratch:

WOW!!! After looking at the stats of Pujols compared to Ramirez's... that is just pathetic! Pujols pulled out nearly the same stats everyone was projecting Quentin was going to get, and Ramirez's 94 SO beats Pujols 54!? Seriously, any Cubs fan lurking these boards, stop ruining baseball. :mad:

RKMeibalane
10-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Folks:

The fans voted the winners...Cub fans...Red Sox fans...that's all you need to know.

Lip

Lip is exactly right. When the worst fans in baseball- if they can even be considered such- are voting, nothing good can come out of it. Cubs fans worship trash and are trash, and Red Sox fans aren't much better.

turners56
10-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Folks:

Lip

Yeap. Sad but true. How do you think Fukudome got into the ASG?

Dibbs
10-26-2008, 08:04 PM
If I was Aramis Ramirez, I honestly think I would be embarassed to accept that award.

TDog
10-26-2008, 08:18 PM
If I was Aramis Ramirez, I honestly think I would be embarassed to accept that award.

Internet voting from Japan didn't hurt.

Awards based on fan voting, as others have noted, are meaningless.

TheOldRoman
10-26-2008, 10:10 PM
I just read about the award. I thought it was going to the classiest player (that is the Clemente). Knowing this, picking Ramirez is even more of a joke.

Lip Man 1
10-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Chris DeLuca had a story on this in the Sun-Times where he says Ramirez told him that even he thought Pujols had a better year and was surprised he got it.

Ramirez then thanked Cub fans for giving him the award.

LOL

Lip

ChiSoxFan81
10-27-2008, 11:32 AM
This award, like the ASG starters, is a joke.

Obviously based on fan votes, but still ***?? Sure, all the Flubbie fans and Red Sawx Nation could get these guys a bunch of votes, but what about all the sane fans? They couldn't overcome these two fan bases?

Albert Pujols?
Ryan Howard?
Josh Hamilton?

What a farce. They really need to change ASG voting too. I like the NFL where the fan vote counts for a percentage, and the player and coach vote counts for the rest. Usually, even popular guys who get lots of fan votes but are having less than stellar years don't get selected.

This year, Joe Crede had no business being an All-Star. A couple of years in the past, absolutely (along with getting robbed of Gold Gloves). But not this year. Joe Crede cost JD a deserved All-Star spot. If Crede wasn't selected, Longoria would have already been on the team, and JD would have won the fan vote, and deservedly so.

Rant over.

Eddo144
10-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah, fan voting sucks and all that, but it only counted for 30% of this award.

Even if every single fan vote was for Aaramis Ramirez, less than 3 out of every 7 broadcasters would have needed to vote against Pujols. With the year he had, he should have gotten every single "expert" vote.

CubKilla
10-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Errormis can get all the Hank Aaron Awards he wants as long as he looks like a busher every season come playoff time.

The Critic
10-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Um...wow indeed.

First of all, Albert Pujols had an utterly phenomenal season. He basically lapped the field. They could rename the award in his honor. No, not really, but he's just on another level out there.

Secondly, Aramis Ramirez? Did voters select "Ramirez" thinking they were choosing Manny? Aramis had a fairly pedestrian year.

Third, Hamilton did not get snubbed. He wasn't even the second best hitter on his own team; both Kinsler and Bradley had better years. I'd say the AL award could have gone to Mauer, Youkilis, or A-Rod before Hamilton, so the voters didn't really mess that one up too much.

Fourth, Albert Pujols just had too good a year to be ignored. What a joke.

Fifth, Pujols.

Sixth, Albert P., the one on the Cardinals.

Get my point?

I'm sorry, who did you think should have won?
:D:

SOXPHILE
10-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Yeap. Sad but true. How do you think Fukudome got into the ASG?

The same way Jason Varitek did, when he was hitting something like .220 or .230 at the time.

turners56
10-27-2008, 03:18 PM
The same way Jason Varitek did, when he was hitting something like .220 or .230 at the time.

Varitek got voted in by his peers. Which is understandable. He has a great reputation amongst other players.

whitesox901
10-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Haha! Don't the fans vote? Id be surprised If Fukudome didn't get the award over Pujols with the way Cubs fans swarm. Seriously though... those winners kind of seem like a joke to the whole season. :scratch:

WOW!!! After looking at the stats of Pujols compared to Ramirez's... that is just pathetic! Pujols pulled out nearly the same stats everyone was projecting Quentin was going to get, and Ramirez's 94 SO beats Pujols 54!? Seriously, any Cubs fan lurking these boards, stop ruining baseball. :mad:

Its their nature, its all they know

Lip Man 1
10-27-2008, 04:19 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/rosenblog/2008/10/they-only-way-y.html

Great story.

Lip

CubKilla
10-27-2008, 04:26 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/rosenblog/2008/10/they-only-way-y.html

Great story.

Lip

Read some of the comments below the story. Soriano and Ramirez didn't choke in the playoffs? WOW!

turners56
10-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Read some of the comments below the story. Soriano and Ramirez didn't choke in the playoffs? WOW!

Ramirez was actually good in 03. Soriano's never been good. Bottom line is, they're both bad players in October. It's funny that they think Rosenbloom is a Sox fan. He's not.

Eddo144
10-27-2008, 04:53 PM

Great story.

Lip
Ugh. It will be a cold day in Hell before I acknowledge anything Rosenbloom has written as "great".

He's nearing Mariotti territory; I think he roots for Chicago teams to lose just so he can criticize them the next day.

#1swisher
10-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Folks:

Lip

What he said.

Lip Man 1
10-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Eddo:

Unlike Jay, I think Steve is actually quite funny and he makes some valid points.

Lip

Eddo144
10-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Eddo:

Unlike Jay, I think Steve is actually quite funny and he makes some valid points.

Lip
That may be (and I was wrong with the Jay comparison, no one's at his level), but I still maintain that Rosenbloom is just too bitter to be credible. Most of his points are at the talk radio level (I actually thought the show he had with Salisbury wasn't half bad).

GreenWoman3212
10-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Fukudome should have had this.

WSox597
10-30-2008, 06:19 AM
Folks:

Lip

It's Chicago. Vote early, vote often.

What's next, does Ramirez get a Gold Glove too?

the gooch
10-30-2008, 09:49 AM
This award, like the ASG starters, is a joke.

Obviously based on fan votes, but still ***?? Sure, all the Flubbie fans and Red Sawx Nation could get these guys a bunch of votes, but what about all the sane fans? They couldn't overcome these two fan bases?

Albert Pujols?
Ryan Howard?
Josh Hamilton?

What a farce. They really need to change ASG voting too. I like the NFL where the fan vote counts for a percentage, and the player and coach vote counts for the rest. Usually, even popular guys who get lots of fan votes but are having less than stellar years don't get selected.

This year, Joe Crede had no business being an All-Star. A couple of years in the past, absolutely (along with getting robbed of Gold Gloves). But not this year. Joe Crede cost JD a deserved All-Star spot. If Crede wasn't selected, Longoria would have already been on the team, and JD would have won the fan vote, and deservedly so.

Rant over.I said my opinion on this before but here goes: Scott Boras told all his clients to peer-vote Crede in on a contract year.

hellview
10-30-2008, 12:20 PM
I said my opinion on this before but here goes: Scott Boras told all his clients to peer-vote Crede in on a contract year.

So your telling me that Scott Boras clients outnumber non-Boras clients around Major League Ballball?

turners56
10-30-2008, 03:28 PM
So your telling me that Scott Boras clients outnumber non-Boras clients around Major League Ballball?

Tony Abreu
Rick Ankiel
Josh Barfield
Carlos Beltran
Adrian Beltre
Chris Bootcheck
Alex Cora
Joe Crede
Johnny Damon
Chris Davis
J.D. Drew
Stephen Drew
Jacoby Ellsbury
Prince Fielder
Eric Gagne
Carlos Gomez
Jeremy Guthrie
Craig Hansen
Runelvys Hernandez
Luke Hochevar
Matt Holliday
Andruw Jones
Jair Jurrjens
Ian Kennedy
Byung-Hyun Kim
Gerald Laird
Kyle Lohse
Felipe Lopez
Rodrigo Lopez
Derek Lowe
Greg Maddux
Daisuke Matsuzaka
Kevin Millwood
Zach Miner
Xavier Nady
David Newhan
Magglio Ordonez
Micah Owings
Corey Patterson
John Patterson
Mike Pelfrey
Carlos Pena
Oliver Perez
Guillermo Quiroz
Manny Ramirez
Anthony Reyes
Alex Rodriguez
Ivan Rodriguez
Max Scherzer
Scott Schoeneweis
Bobby Seay
Julian Tavarez
Willy Taveras
Taylor Teagarden
Mark Teixeira
Jason Varitek
Ron Villone
Jarrod Washburn
Jeff Weaver
Jered Weaver
Brad Wilkerson
Barry Zito

Maybe not all of MLB, but that's a lot.

Eddo144
10-30-2008, 06:53 PM
They don't need to outnumber non-Boras clients, but rather just have enough membership to get Crede in (i.e. 25% of the 3B vote was probably good enough).

PennStater98r
11-03-2008, 12:25 PM
And Cubs fans wonder why those who hate them - hate them so much. I'd go so far as to say that Quentin deserved more of a shot than Youk btw.

JermaineDye05
11-03-2008, 01:04 PM
And Cubs fans wonder why those who hate them - hate them so much. I'd go so far as to say that Quentin deserved more of a shot than Youk btw.

Quentin wasn't a choice, I believe it was either Thome or Dye from the Sox.