or jan 23-24-25

Jan 30, 31 Feb 1

chisoxmike
10-26-2008, 05:25 PM
I believe its Jan. 30-Feb.1.

ohthosechisox
10-26-2008, 05:31 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/soxfest.jsp
Here's the official page for SoxFest, so you can check it when further details are posted. :-)

esbrechtel
10-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like tickets go on sale later and later every year? I remember in 05 getting them just after the sox had made the playoffs....

ChiSoxGirl
10-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like tickets go on sale later and later every year? I remember in 05 getting them just after the sox had made the playoffs....

Back in the day, circa SoxFest 1997, 1998, etc., I used to book my room at the Hyatt right after Christmas and could basically have my choice of rooms. Nobody went to this thing, and as someone who's only missed one SoxFest (the very first one), I can attest to that.

ohthosechisox
10-27-2008, 10:17 PM

I haven't been going to SoxFest for that many years, but what you're saying is definitely true since they switched to the Palmer House. In '06, I remember getting the hotel room/tickets in September before the season even ended. Last year, I believe they went on sale right after the playoffs ended in early November. It looks like they'll be selling them later on this year if they haven't posted any details yet.

SoxComms
10-31-2008, 01:03 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, October 31, 2008

SOXFEST 2009 HOTEL PACKAGES ON SALE NOVEMBER 10

Hotel Reservations and Weekend Passes Available

Together On White Sox Website this Year

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox have announced two-night hotel reservations at the Palmer House Hilton for SoxFest 2009, presented by U.S. Cellular, along with weekend passes to the event, will go on sale on Monday, November 10 at 10:00 a.m. CST on whitesox.com

The special SoxFest hotel rate is $249 (plus tax and applicable charges) for a two-night stay. White Sox fans may purchase up to two rooms per reservation, and fans who purchase a two-night stay are eligible to purchase up to four SoxFest weekend passes at $75 each. New this year, SoxFest hotel packages and weekend passes can be purchased in the same online transaction at whitesox.com, making the process even simpler for fans. Weekend passes are only available for purchase by fans who book the two-night stay.

SoxFest offers fans the opportunity to meet their favorite current and former White Sox players, attend question-and-answer sessions, participate in interactive baseball activities and visit the ever-popular annual Garage Sale. SoxFest 2009 will be held Friday, January 30, Saturday, January 31 andSunday, February 1, 2009. Dates and times are: Friday, 4:00 to 9:00 p.m.; Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; and Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

This is the third year the historic Palmer House Hilton will host the annual Chicago White Sox fan convention, now in its 17th year.

SoxFest Premium Packages, which include access to exclusive autograph and photo sessions and an MVP pass that allows quick entry to designated autograph sessions, among many other benefits, will be available again this year to fans who book a hotel room and purchase weekend passes. A limited number of SoxFest daily passes also will be available for purchase on whitesox.com. The White Sox will update fans on when the Premium Packages and daily passes go on sale.

For more information, fans should visit whitesox.com or call the SoxFest hotline at (312) 609-1915.

-30-

© 2008 Chicago White Sox

Editor’s Note: For more information, contact Lou Hernandez in the White Sox public relations department at (312) 674-5304. Please do not broadcast publish this number.

longtimesoxguy
10-31-2008, 01:32 PM
The Palmer House is a horrible place for this event. McCormick Place should hold this event. They can divide it up many different ways and everything there is top notch. I don't know is it to close to the auto show?

Scottiehaswheels
10-31-2008, 02:25 PM
SoxComms,

Any idea what the White Sox Training Academy set up will be like this year? We liked the set up from a couple years ago but were very disappointed in last years set up and probably won't go this year if they remain the same way as last. The instructors are fantastic though.

ohthosechisox
11-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Has anybody else gotten through to get their SoxFest reservations today? We've been waiting "in line" for almost 30 minutes now. :/

jkrohn
11-10-2008, 11:41 AM
I just got through and booked mine after like 15 minutes "in line" so to speak.

Ragator43
11-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Has anybody else gotten through to get their SoxFest reservations today? We've been waiting "in line" for almost 30 minutes now. :/

I did. Only took about 10 minutes from the "waiting in line" to the confirmation email for one room and two passes.

Jaffar
11-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm passing as of right now and will be taking my son next year but I'll probably be kicking myself for missing it again.

ohthosechisox
11-10-2008, 12:03 PM
I finally got through. I was really pissed off because Comcast decided to lose my internet connection for a while, but the second time I reloaded the page, I didn't have to do any waiting in line thankfully. Whew. Thanks for your replies.

esbrechtel
11-10-2008, 12:04 PM
I really wish the Hotel Packages included the passes like they used to....this is BS that you have to get a hotel room AND pay for the passes. I think it would be cool if they sold the rooms with 2 passes and you could buy 2 more at $75. for two people to go 200 bucks a piece to go isn't really that bad until you consider that you are paying 200 bucks for 5 autographs (of "star" players) tops and the opportunity to spend more money on overpriced game used stuff.

I love soxfest but I might skip this year and go next year. Maybe I will go to the Hawk convention this summer...

salty99
11-10-2008, 12:37 PM
don't forget the ticketmaster fees of $6 per pass as well.

Sockinchisox
11-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Were tickets this expensive last year?

Anyway, I'll be there.

Iwritecode
11-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I haven't been to Soxfest since they moved it to the Hilton and doubled the prices. It's just not worth it anymore.

kruzer31
11-10-2008, 01:32 PM
it just isnt the same at the Palmer House. It used to be phenomenal at the Hilton. I will pass this year and hope for a return to the Hilton.

J

tacosalbarojas
11-10-2008, 01:37 PM
I agree - it's not the same. Last year I got the weekend pass without the hotel room. If I can do that again, fine, if not, I'll be watching college basketball all weekend during Soxfest.

chisoxmike
11-10-2008, 01:44 PM
I haven't been to Soxfest since they moved it to the Hilton and doubled the prices. It's just not worth it anymore.

Fact.

The real ball kicker is that they no longer sell the individual day passes.

salty99
11-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Fact.

The real ball kicker is that they no longer sell the individual day passes.

False. This year there will be weekend and individual day passes as stated here: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/soxfest.jsp?partnerId=panel_CWS_2009SoxFest111008

Iwritecode
11-10-2008, 02:24 PM
False. This year there will be weekend and individual day passes as stated here: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/soxfest.jsp?partnerId=panel_CWS_2009SoxFest111008

Considering weekend passes are $75 a piece I can't imagine how much they will charge for single day or sat-sun passes.

Law11
11-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Not to be a downer but what's the big attraction to this.
Ive never gone. Ive had friends go and say they'll never go again.

Personally autographs dont do a thing for me, never have even as a kid.
Used game stuff isnt my thing either so other than the Q&A with kenny and Sox merchandise that I have too much of already (my closet looks like a souvenier stand) what goes on there that is such a huge draw?

Not trying to be negative just looking for what makes folks drop so much cash and go year after year.

BainesHOF
11-10-2008, 02:44 PM
It's all about the autographs and game-used stuff. The seminars, particularly those with Kenny Williams, are cool, too.

ohthosechisox
11-10-2008, 02:59 PM
It's all about the autographs and game-used stuff. The seminars, particularly those with Kenny Williams, are cool, too.

Yup, the autographs and the seminars for me are my main attraction to SoxFest. I also enjoy staying in the hotel with my friend for a whole weekend as a little winter retreat and a reminder that baseball is right around the corner. :smile:

I can imagine if you don't enjoy getting autographs, then it probably wouldn't be worth the price.

esbrechtel
11-10-2008, 03:10 PM
It is great to play the "I hope this guy gets good" game and jump in the lines of some of the rookies/younger guys that have no line. I got John Danks not too long ago which looks sweet now that said I have a few guys whose signiture is worth less than the ball it is written on. That said to get my No-Hitter Buehrle print signed we had to get a wristband 3 hours before he was signing. It was sweet to have the hotel room so we just went and took a nap :D:

I thought it was good last year and the hotel package is worth it, but if you aren't into autographs or game used stuff save your money. I used to love and see all of the vendors, but now there really aren't that many there. (I heard the space costs more now)

Basically you are paying to hurry up and wait in line...

Foulke You
11-10-2008, 03:49 PM
I agree. I have yet to go at the Palmer House. The Sox just priced me out of this event. I used to be able to buy single day passes for $15 each. I'd grab my Dad and my wife and we'd head down to the Hyatt Regency and have a great time with a few of the seminars and looking at the dealer room. (I've never been a big autograph hound and I hate long lines) I just can't justify spending a ton of money on this event now even though I'm a huge Sox fan. I'd rather spend this money on actual Sox games. I understand that they have to milk it for everything but it is disappointing that they have forgotten the little guy in recent years. I'll reserve judgment until I see how much they are charging for the single day passes but my bet is at least $30, maybe more. I also notice they have the caveat of "very limited amount" in the description of single day passes which leads me to believe it will sell out in the blink of an eye.

TheUpperTank
11-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I always did love going to the Hyatt...but such is life...last year I somehow missed when day/2-day passes went on sale...hopefully I'll be able to snag one this year (granted as mentioned, I'm sure those will go uber fast).

FarmerAndy
11-12-2008, 01:45 PM
I went a couple of times, earlier in the decade. It was fun to check out some of the vendors with old junk. I picked up an old Sox stocking cap and a vintage Sox WMAQ bumper sticker. Other than that, the only thing that was really cool was the seminar / Q&A w/ Kenny. That is easily the best thing this event has going for it.

But the way the prices have gone up over the last few years, there's no way I'd go. I'd have to be really bored with nothing else going on in my life to shell out those bucks to attend a little Sox flea market with autograph tables.

However, if you are somebody with plenty of expendable income, I'd tell you that it's worth it to go for a day and check out the seminar / Q&A with Kenny. It's pretty fun. I talked to John Rooney for a half hour afterward. I didn't want to be rude and take up his time, but he was the one that didn't stop talking. Super nice guy.

chisoxmike
11-15-2008, 05:35 PM
:rolling:

They still have the Nick Swisher photo on the SoxFest 2009 page.

Brian26
11-15-2008, 05:45 PM
:rolling:

They still have the Nick Swisher photo on the SoxFest 2009 page.

Maybe he's still planning on being at the bar on Friday night. :shrug:

yazz32
11-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Anyone know if the premium packages info got released yet?

Was supposed to be sent via email before 24/Nov from the website.

ohthosechisox
11-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Anyone know if the premium packages info got released yet?

Was supposed to be sent via email before 24/Nov from the website.

No it hasn't.

I believe the website says by November 24th, so it could be released up until or even on the 24th. :smile:

soxfandoug
11-26-2008, 02:11 PM
When do you guys think they will announce which players will be attending Soxfest? I am hoping Robin Ventura is there again... does Mark Buehrle go every year?

btrain929
11-26-2008, 02:21 PM
When do you guys think they will announce which players will be attending Soxfest? I am hoping Robin Ventura is there again... does Mark Buehrle go every year?

They might announce which players will be there before Christmas, but I don't think we'll know specifically which days and times certain players will be there until the beginning of January, in my opinion. HOPEFULLY sooner, though...

btrain929
11-26-2008, 02:22 PM
No it hasn't.

I believe the website says by November 24th, so it could be released up until or even on the 24th. :smile:

FYI, the Premium Package info is up on the site, now.

ChiSoxGirl
11-26-2008, 04:38 PM
FYI, the Premium Package info is up on the site, now.

While the Premium Package sounds cool, there's NO WAY I'm shelling out an additional $300 for it! I'm splitting a room with someone and the cost of that and a weekend pass is CHEAPER than this Premium Package. PASS!!!

soxfandoug
11-30-2008, 11:54 AM
I just bought the hotel stay and weekend passes for the wife and I! This will be our first Soxfest, I can't wait!

I assume the hotel stay is Friday and Saturday night? I know that is probably obvious, but I can't find anywhere in the Soxfest details where it mentions the nights of the hotel stay.

BainesHOF
11-30-2008, 07:53 PM
I assume the hotel stay is Friday and Saturday night? I know that is probably obvious, but I can't find anywhere in the Soxfest details where it mentions the nights of the hotel stay.

You are correct.

soxrepublican
11-30-2008, 07:59 PM
You are correct.

Yep.

esbrechtel
12-01-2008, 09:20 AM

I believe Burls has been there quite alot...although he was not there for Soxfest 06 and he is highly sought after, I would reccomend you get to where he is signing WELL in advance. I'm talking 2 or 3 hours, then you can't get any other autos until you are done getting Marks...

Ragator43
12-01-2008, 09:58 AM
I believe Burls has been there quite alot...although he was not there for Soxfest 06 and he is highly sought after, I would reccomend you get to where he is signing WELL in advance. I'm talking 2 or 3 hours, then you can't get any other autos until you are done getting Marks...

His Saturday autograph session last year was around 2:30 or 3 for 300 signatures. They planned to pass out the wristbands for the session to the people who had lined up around noon, but by 10:30 the wristband line was already over 300 deep and blocking the entrances for the conference rooms holding the 10 am sessions. They passed out the wristbands soon after, clearing the way for the morning auto sessions and giving me two hours more than I had expected to do whatever else I wanted.

esbrechtel
12-01-2008, 11:18 AM
His Saturday autograph session last year was around 2:30 or 3 for 300 signatures. They planned to pass out the wristbands for the session to the people who had lined up around noon, but by 10:30 the wristband line was already over 300 deep and blocking the entrances for the conference rooms holding the 10 am sessions. They passed out the wristbands soon after, clearing the way for the morning auto sessions and giving me two hours more than I had expected to do whatever else I wanted.

That is exactly right...my Soxfest goal last year was to get the No hitter print signed by Buehrle...thank god Pops and I got in line at 10.....

ChiSoxGirl
12-01-2008, 02:07 PM

This is how I lost my chance at a wristband last year. :angry: Two of my friends were in line with me and since wristbands weren't supposed to be handed out for over an hour, I'd gone up to my room to get the Wheaties box with Buehrle on the front because that's what I wanted him to sign. Since I thought I had time, I stopped to hear Rongey's interview with Kenny for a few minutes. In the meantime, my friends were calling my cell phone to tell me the line was moving and wristbands were being handed out, but since service was spotty, my phone never rang and I didn't get the texts they were sending me 'til it was too late.

esbrechtel
12-01-2008, 02:13 PM
I almost made the same mistake...because the print was so big it was a pain to carry around so I left it in the room, when we got in line I almost went to go get it for fear of them not handing out wristbands until way later....luckily, I held back the urge to go get it right away and waited it out....

ChiSoxGirl
12-01-2008, 02:16 PM
I almost made the same mistake...because the print was so big it was a pain to carry around so I left it in the room, when we got in line I almost went to go get it for fear of them not handing out wristbands until way later....luckily, I held back the urge to go get it right away and waited it out....

Well, I definitely learned my lesson- never leave the wristband line until the bands have been handed out, regardless of what time they tell you they'll be giving them out or how many of your friends are holding your place in line! In addition, the Palmer House has some dead zones as far as cell service is concerned.

btrain929
12-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Didn't Buehrle sign Sunday morning too? I remember I was going to go early Sunday just to get his auto, but I was so exhausted from all the standing and walking Fri and Sat that I took Sunday off.

ChiSoxGirl
12-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Didn't Buehrle sign Sunday morning too? I remember I was going to go early Sunday just to get his auto, but I was so exhausted from all the standing and walking Fri and Sat that I took Sunday off.

Yeah, but I had to leave by 8:15a on Sunday morning because of a school event I had to attend.

esbrechtel
12-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Sunday would have been the day to get him because everyone was trying to get Thome....

That said who all won an autographed picture from Thome from the drawing that day. Pops and I both got one in the mail...it was a really sweet shot of his 500th Home run signed in Blue marker with a letter from the Sox...

Did everyone who entered get one? Or was Pops and I just really lucky?

Ragator43
12-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Sunday would have been the day to get him because everyone was trying to get Thome....

That said who all won an autographed picture from Thome from the drawing that day. Pops and I both got one in the mail...it was a really sweet shot of his 500th Home run signed in Blue marker with a letter from the Sox...

Did everyone who entered get one? Or was Pops and I just really lucky?

Definitely lucky. My family and I went 0 for 5 on the Thome lottery. I still need to get him and PK on the '07 fan appreciation day poster so I can finally take it to get framed.

esbrechtel
12-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Well I guess I can no longer say "I never win anything!" :redneck PK isn't too hard at soxfest, (he usually does multiple signings) Thome is going to be the hard one to get...

btrain929
12-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Well I guess I can no longer say "I never win anything!" :redneck PK isn't too hard at soxfest, (he usually does multiple signings) Thome is going to be the hard one to get...

He was on White Sox Weekly a few weeks back when he was doing some charity work, and Christine O'Reilly said he felt really bad about missing last year's event, and will definitely be there this year. Maybe he'll feel so bad he'll be there everyday??

soxfandoug
12-08-2008, 07:18 PM
So I just want to make sure I understand exactly how this works. I will get in line for wristbands WAY in advance... once I get the wristband I want I basically just walk around until it is time for that signing? Or do I have stand in line forever for the actual autograph too?

I'm REALLY nervous that I'll screw up, and come home after the weekend with nothing but Chris Getz and Josh Fields lol.

btrain929
12-08-2008, 10:42 PM
So I just want to make sure I understand exactly how this works. I will get in line for wristbands WAY in advance... once I get the wristband I want I basically just walk around until it is time for that signing? Or do I have stand in line forever for the actual autograph too?

I'm REALLY nervous that I'll screw up, and come home after the weekend with nothing but Chris Getz and Josh Fields lol.

Well, you CAN go walk around until the signing, but if you come back right when it starts, you'll be waaaaay at the end of the line and it might take an hour or longer for the whole line to go and for you to get up there. If you get a bracelet once they start handing them out and go stand in line right then and there, then it'll probably only take 10-20 mins to get his auto and leave.

Plus another thing to keep in mind is you can only have 1 bracelet on at a time, so you can't go get a bracelet for this guy, then another for that guy, etc. You can't get another auto/bracelet until your current bracelet is cut off by a Soxfest staff right before you get your auto.

soxfandoug
12-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the response btrain. So the best bet is to stand in line for a bracelet, immediately get in line for that autograph, then get in line for the next bracelet?

I assume each bracelet is for a small group of signers? Probably grouped with one "big name" in each group? Are the signing times staggered?

Also, I have a Photofile wholesale account, and I was considering ordering 16x20 photos of Carlos Quentin and John Danks. To order 16x20s, I have to order a minimum of 25. Would anybody be interested in doing a group buy? I might also purchase a few other players if there is interest.

btrain929
12-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the response btrain. So the best bet is to stand in line for a bracelet, immediately get in line for that autograph, then get in line for the next bracelet?

I assume each bracelet is for a small group of signers? Probably grouped with one "big name" in each group? Are the signing times staggered?

Yep. Get a bracelet, wait in line, get the auto, and then walk around to see what bracelets are still available for the next time slots. The signing times are usually like 9am, 11am, 1pm, etc. The hard thing is, there's usually not a set time of when they hand out bracelets. Sometimes they start handing out the bracelets for the 11am session immediately after they're done passing out the 9am bracelets (which can be as early as 8-830am), or sometimes they wait a little wihle until they pass out the next set of bracelets. For each session, there will either be a group of players if they are lesser known players, or just 1 player if it's a star (Dye, Buehrle, Thome, PK, etc). Last year, I passed on the chance to get Danks, Fields, and Owens all in 1 session to get PK instead.

BainesHOF
12-09-2008, 02:19 AM
He was on White Sox Weekly a few weeks back when he was doing some charity work, and Christine O'Reilly said he felt really bad about missing last year's event, and will definitely be there this year. Maybe he'll feel so bad he'll be there everyday??

I think it's fair to expect Thome to sign for all three days this year after last year's no-show. I was in line at 5 a.m. on Sunday last year for him only to come up empty like everyone else. I didn't even get a picture in the make-up lottery.

If I remember correctly, Thome didn't do an announced signing the year before either. He jumped in to sign for something like 20 minutes alongside Konerko but that was it.

It's time for Thome to go 3-for-3 this time.

btrain929
12-09-2008, 02:22 AM
I think it's fair to expect Thome to sign for all three days this year after last year's no-show. I was in line at 5 a.m. on Sunday last year for him only to come up empty like everyone else. I didn't even get a picture in the make-up lottery.

If I remember correctly, Thome didn't do an announced signing the year before either. He jumped in to sign for something like 20 minutes alongside Konerko but that was it.

It's time for Thome to go 3-for-3 this time.

I hope so. They need SOMEBODY to fill Swisher and Vazquez' time slots now....:D:

esbrechtel
12-09-2008, 08:37 AM

Also, I have a Photofile wholesale account, and I was considering ordering 16x20 photos of Carlos Quentin and John Danks. To order 16x20s, I have to order a minimum of 25. Would anybody be interested in doing a group buy? I might also purchase a few other players if there is interest.

They usually try and get the stars to sign at basically the same time. PK and Dye and AJ will probably all be signing at the same time (they try to alleviate the pressure of the lines that way)

The strategy that I found to work the best is to wake up insanely early for the saturday and sunday events and get in line. If you are unsure about who you are going to pursue because they have a few stars pick one and go for it. I used to use friday as the day to find where all the stages are so you knew where to be to get wristbands. Try to get in the front of the line for the morning sessions then shoot for the sessions that will be 2 hours later. Last year on saturday I got Jenks in the morning and got in line immedately for Buehrle (who wasn't signing until 1 or 2) even though PK, and Dye were signing I made the decision to go for Dye on sunday.

I think I did pretty well last season. I got Swisher, Dye, Buehrle, Linebrink, Minnie, Roland Hemond, Ozzie, Jenks, Hawk and DJ, Bill Melton, biggest mistake is that I passed on Quentin :(. I also got the photo of Thome in the mail. All that and I left at 11 on sunday...

btrain929
12-09-2008, 03:24 PM
I think I did pretty well last season. I got Swisher, Dye, Buehrle, Linebrink, Minnie, Roland Hemond, Ozzie, Jenks, Hawk and DJ, Bill Melton, biggest mistake is that I passed on Quentin :(. I also got the photo of Thome in the mail. All that and I left at 11 on sunday...

Tell me about it. I just hope that now because he's hot **** he's not gonna only sign one day. He is notorious for not liking to sign at all.

I only went Fri and Sat (I was exhausted Sun by all the standing and running around the previous 2 days, but i'll bring my A game this year), so for 2 days I got: Swisher, Linebrink, Konerko, Kittle, Baines, Walker, Jenks, Danks, Floyd. I just need to land me a weekend pass (fri included) from a hotel stayer somehow. Hopefully Ebay will help me out with that.

Domeshot17
12-09-2008, 04:20 PM
The Thome thing was handled so piss poor. My Wife and I (well Fiance at the time) decided screw it, well get in line insanely early saturday, get Thome and go home for the weekend. So we get in line at like 130 am and we are like 10th or 20th in line. We sit for 6-8 hours whatever it was. Sleep on the floor, then they announce he isn't coming. At that point, it should be have been, Everyone waiting in line for thome, first 500 people get the mailed picture. Wife and I struck out but her mom won a picture.

I guess it works out in the end though, I found out through someone I know I can get his autograph fairly easily through them, which is nice.

esbrechtel
12-09-2008, 06:23 PM
The Thome thing was handled so piss poor. My Wife and I (well Fiance at the time) decided screw it, well get in line insanely early saturday, get Thome and go home for the weekend. So we get in line at like 130 am and we are like 10th or 20th in line. We sit for 6-8 hours whatever it was. Sleep on the floor, then they announce he isn't coming. At that point, it should be have been, Everyone waiting in line for thome, first 500 people get the mailed picture. Wife and I struck out but her mom won a picture.

I guess it works out in the end though, I found out through someone I know I can get his autograph fairly easily through them, which is nice.

I had suggested that they should have done it this way.

I know Thome was signing in the afternoon, so what they should have done was hand out wristbands for that "signing" then at the designated time they should have collected the info from the 500 people and they should have been mailed the photos. The draw back would have been you couldn't get in another line until your info was taken. But since that is what most people were planning to do anyways they probably would have been fine with it.

soxfandoug
12-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Are there typically any vendors there selling photos of Sox players to get signed? If so, do they have a good selection, or just the big guys like Thome and PK?

btrain929
12-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Are there typically any vendors there selling photos of Sox players to get signed? If so, do they have a good selection, or just the big guys like Thome and PK?

Usually in the big White Sox Garage Sale room, there's a vendor that just sells 8x10's of a good variety of players. But since you got til the end of January, it wouldn't hurt to look on ebay for some so you go in there prepared and not depend on finding something there.

DaveFeelsRight
12-12-2008, 09:34 PM
im glad i got TCQ's sig last year. wont have to struggle to get one this year.

btrain929
12-13-2008, 12:16 AM

You smart, lucky bastard. :D:

ChiSoxGirl
12-13-2008, 12:23 AM

I got his last year, too! :wink:

btrain929
12-23-2008, 01:14 AM
For my autograph-hounds out there:

Tyler Flowers (the main piece of the Vazquez deal) will be doing a signing in Chicago on January 17th. It'll be at this sports place called Big John and Little Debbie's on Devon in Chicago. He'll be signing items for $10 each. If he's not at Soxfest (which I doubt he will be), it's not too bad of a price if you like autographs.

JermaineDye05
12-25-2008, 10:44 AM
I will be attending this year, my dad got me a weekend pass for Christmas :bandance::bandance::bandance:.

Oh and I feel I should mention that the last time I attended Sox Fest, we won the world series :cool:. Perhaps I'm good karma?:tongue:

soxfan21
12-25-2008, 01:48 PM
I will be attending this year, my dad got me a weekend pass for Christmas :bandance::bandance::bandance:.

Oh and I feel I should mention that the last time I attended Sox Fest, we won the world series :cool:. Perhaps I'm good karma?:tongue:

Also got soxfest passes for the weekend from my parents for Christmas! First time going to it in the palmer house, should be a fun time.

JermaineDye05
12-29-2008, 02:23 PM
So have any players been confirmed for Sox Fest this year? I think Danks mentioned in his interview last week that he'd be there. I assume high profile players like Quentin, Dye (if not traded), Konerko (if not traded), and Thome will be there. Who else can we expect?

turners56
12-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Unless he makes some big move soon (I don't see it happening), Kenny isn't going to have a very good time at Soxfest. Mainly because his Question and Anger segments will contain more anger than usual.

JermaineDye05
12-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Unless he makes some big move soon (I don't see it happening), Kenny isn't going to have a very good time at Soxfest. Mainly because his Question and Anger segments will contain more anger than usual.

Yeah, I feel like I'm going to be part of the minimum. People who actually like what Kenny has done this offseason. I know a lot of people on this board like to look at the bigger picture and knew this offseason was inevitable and Kenny appears to have gotten some great prospects and our future looks pretty good. Kenny has earned a lot of our trust with the successful moves he's made and the bold decisions he's stuck with so I'm with him here. If we do bad in 2009, I won't be too upset because I wouldn't be surprised if both Viciedo and Beckham are both ready in 2010 to join the big club and with a couple years under Gavin and Danks belt plus a year under Marquez's they should only get better.

btrain929
12-29-2008, 04:01 PM
I keep checking the website, but it doesn't look like the players and times have been released yet. I would expect them no later than the 2nd wk of Jan.

The past few years, all of the big names have been there basically. We don't have any new "big names" in Chicago that we have to wonder about, so all the usuals will probably be there, along with a lot of kids. I'm guessing there will be 1 or 2 autograph sessions that will have 3 players per session (Getz, Fields, Richard, Marquez, Lillibridge, Owens, BA, etc). Plus I'll guess and say they'll have a session dedicated to the '59 team as a 40 year anniversary thing. Billy Pierce being a local could be there. Luis Aparicio would be sweeeet.

I love looking at the schedule of players and sessions and trying to plan out all the scenarios as far as who to go to for autographs, who my plan B's will be if bracelets are gone for my plan A, etc :D:.

JermaineDye05
12-29-2008, 05:48 PM
I keep checking the website, but it doesn't look like the players and times have been released yet. I would expect them no later than the 2nd wk of Jan.

The past few years, all of the big names have been there basically. We don't have any new "big names" in Chicago that we have to wonder about, so all the usuals will probably be there, along with a lot of kids. I'm guessing there will be 1 or 2 autograph sessions that will have 3 players per session (Getz, Fields, Richard, Marquez, Lillibridge, Owens, BA, etc). Plus I'll guess and say they'll have a session dedicated to the '59 team as a 40 year anniversary thing. Billy Pierce being a local could be there. Luis Aparicio would be sweeeet.

I love looking at the schedule of players and sessions and trying to plan out all the scenarios as far as who to go to for autographs, who my plan B's will be if bracelets are gone for my plan A, etc :D:.

I forgot about the bracelets for autograph sessions. Where and when do we get these? I want to get my Danks and Quentin ones asap.

btrain929
12-29-2008, 06:17 PM
I forgot about the bracelets for autograph sessions. Where and when do we get these? I want to get my Danks and Quentin ones asap.

They give out the bracelets outside of the room they will be signing in. They can hand out bracelets anywhere from 45 minutes - 3 or 4 hours before the signing. It's hard to say exactly.

skobabe8
12-30-2008, 10:36 AM
They give out the bracelets outside of the room they will be signing in. They can hand out bracelets anywhere from 45 minutes - 3 or 4 hours before the signing. It's hard to say exactly.

Does it depend on the popularity of the player? Or is it completely random?

BainesHOF
12-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Does it depend on the popularity of the player? Or is it completely random?

It's first come, first served for each session so it's totally dependent on the popularity of the player.

Chrisaway
12-31-2008, 02:38 PM
I will be attending for the first time since 2005. My goal is to have a beer with BA. Who's with me?

ChiSoxGirl
12-31-2008, 05:15 PM
I will be attending for the first time since 2005. My goal is to have a beer with BA. Who's with me?

I'm in. The guy bought me a shot at the Big Bar back in 2005, so why not?!

Ragator43
12-31-2008, 06:23 PM

Count me in.

JermaineDye05
12-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Count me in.

I'm in. The guy bought me a shot at the Big Bar back in 2005, so why not?!

I'm out :(:. Just turned 20 this year, I have to wait 9 more months until I can have a drink with one of the players. Oh well Sox Fest 2010 is only 13 months away.

yazz32
01-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey did anyone hear back from the Palmer House Hilton via
email or phone to confirm names of all guests staying in the room.

I did not hear from Palmer House, but wondering if I am the only one?

LoveYourSuit
01-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Hey did anyone hear back from the Palmer House Hilton via
email or phone to confirm names of all guests staying in the room.

Due to lack of player movement from the Sox, the event has been cancelled... :tongue:

SOXfnNlansing
01-05-2009, 06:51 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20090105&content_id=3733216&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnerId=ed-2167450-55436272&source=ed-2167450-55436272

BainesHOF
01-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Buehrle, Jenks, Pierzynski and Ramirez are not mentioned. Hopefully at least the first three will be added. Ramirez gets a pass from me if he isn't living in this country.

Also, there was talk that some 1993 players would be in attendance, but that idea looks to have been scrapped.

JermaineDye05
01-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Buehrle, Jenks, Pierzynski and Ramirez are not mentioned. Hopefully at least the first three will be added. Ramirez gets a pass from me if he isn't living in this country.

Also, there was talk that some 1993 players would be in attendance, but that idea looks to have been scrapped.

Hopefully Buehrle Jenks and AJ show, cause I'm bring my 2005 scrapbook. Hoping to get all remaining 05 players to sign it, at least Konerko, Dye, Ozzie, KW, Hawk, and DJ will be there to sign it.

BainesHOF
01-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Where's Joey Cora?!

I want answers.

btrain929
01-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Hopefully guys like Jenks, Buehrle, etc will be announced a week before Soxfest to make one last drive on ticket sales. I'm just glad guys like Thome and Quentin will be there (this might be Thome's last year here, and Quentin is impossible to get autographs from outside of team gatherings like these.)

Also don't understand why Wassermann would be there, but Thornton wouldn't. Either way hopefully some more additions will be made before the "final draft" is presented to us. Oh well, I just can't wait for the time schedules of the autograph sessions to come out so I can come up with my plan of attack :redneck

soxfandoug
01-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Damn, Buehrle is my favorite current Sox player, and I was really jazzed about meeting him :whiner:.

I'm really hoping Thome will be there on Friday, when the crowd should hopefully be a bit smaller.

Brian26
01-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Hopefully Buehrle Jenks and AJ show, cause I'm bring my 2005 scrapbook. Hoping to get all remaining 05 players to sign it, at least Konerko, Dye, Ozzie, KW, Hawk, and DJ will be there to sign it.

I wonder what kind of psychological effect, if any, it has on the players to constantly have to be reminded of the 05 World Series by signing photos and balls.

I'm reminded of what I heard in line last year. Someone asked Konerko to inscribe the World Series ball w/ "05 Champs" or something like that, and he told the guy, "that's in the past...time to think about this year."

soxfandoug
01-05-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm reminded of what I heard in line last year. Someone asked Konerko to inscribe the World Series ball w/ "05 Champs" or something like that, and he told the guy, "that's in the past...time to think about this year."

So I take it he didn't do the inscription? Was Jermaine Dye still doing his MVP inscription last year? I assume Thome won't do any 500 HR inscriptions?

I understand that adding inscriptions makes it take a bit longer, and occasionally players are prohibited by memorabilia contracts they have signed, but I wish players were more accomodating regarding inscriptions. Say what you will about the man, but I have NEVER heard Chipper Jones refuse to add a 99 NL MVP! inscription to an item at Braves spring training camp.

Hell, I'd like to see you prevent Ron Kittle from adding his ROY inscription to a somewhat premium item... he does it without even asking!

I admit this is a sore spot for me, as I ask for inscriptions from anybody that has done anything remotely worth inscribing. I think it adds a ton to the aesthetic value (please note that I said aesthetic, not monetary) of the item... particularly on baseballs and 16x20 photos.

esbrechtel
01-05-2009, 10:16 PM
last year I asked Dye to write "WS MVP" and he did....

Rdy2PlayBall
01-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Looks like I'm trading in my chances of going to this by getting my mom to get me the 13 game Ozzie plan instead... Good or bad? :tongue:

LoveYourSuit
01-05-2009, 11:03 PM
I wonder what kind of psychological effect, if any, it has on the players to constantly have to be reminded of the 05 World Series by signing photos and balls.

:D:

Good. I wish you would have punched the fan in the mouth right after signing it.

I hope that 2005 team does not become that circus the '85 Bears became with how annoying some of our fans became.

SOXfnNlansing
01-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Looks like I'm trading in my chances of going to this by getting my mom to get me the 13 game Ozzie plan instead... Good or bad? :tongue:

13 ball games or a weekend up close with the Sox. I'd take the 13 games, but it is a close call.

Brian26
01-05-2009, 11:07 PM
last year I asked Dye to write "WS MVP" and he did....

Dye seems to be an enigma. He's the same guy who wouldn't sweet spot any balls at Soxfest 2005 due to his Reebok contract, and he's intentionally screwed up World Series ball by signing them an inch lower under the WS logo, but then he'll do inscriptions for free.

esbrechtel
01-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Dye seems to be an enigma. He's the same guy who wouldn't sweet spot any balls at Soxfest 2005 due to his Reebok contract, and he's intentionally screwed up World Series ball by signing them an inch lower under the WS logo, but then he'll do inscriptions for free.

I was actually surprised that he did it. I have it on a white sox batting helmet. I'll post pictures later if you guys are interested....

ohthosechisox
01-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Hey did anyone hear back from the Palmer House Hilton via email or phone to confirm names of all guests staying in the room.

I just received an e-mail about guests' names today.

yazz32
01-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check my email!

Brian26
01-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Current players, coaches and staff scheduled to attend are Ken Williams, Ozzie Guillen, Brian Anderson, Harold Baines, Jeff Cox, John Danks, Jermaine Dye, Chris Getz, Paul Konerko, Scott Linebrink, Juan Nieves, Jerry Owens, Carlos Quentin, Clayton Richard, Adam Russell, Jim Thome, Mark Salas, Ehren Wassermann, Greg Walker and Dewayne Wise. Announcers Ken “Hawk” Harrelson, Steve Stone and Ed Farmer also will be in attendance.

Legendary White Sox executives and players also will attend SoxFest, include: Roland Hemond, Kevin Hickey, Ron Kittle, Bill Melton, Minnie Minoso and Moose Skowron. This year marks the 50th anniversary of the American League champion “Go-Go Sox” team. Commemorating the occasion, former White Sox players Jim McAnany, Jim Landis, Billy Pierce, Jim Rivera and Bob Shaw are scheduled to attend SoxFest.

BainesHOF
01-09-2009, 03:33 AM
That adds up to a total of 13 players who could play in 2009. Not exactly a great turnout of current players so far, though it's nice that many of the big names will be there.

AZChiSoxFan
01-09-2009, 03:15 PM
13 ball games or a weekend up close with the Sox. I'd take the 13 games, but it is a close call.

I've never been to Soxfest, but I would take 13 games over Soxfest and not think twice about it.

soxfandoug
01-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Do they have a nice selection of pens at each signing table? I'm planning on bringing some jerseys that I would like signed in silver. Are they likely to have decent silver pens?

Iwritecode
01-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Do they have a nice selection of pens at each signing table? I'm planning on bringing some jerseys that I would like signed in silver. Are they likely to have decent silver pens?

They usually have a black pen, a blue pen, a silver sharpie and a black sharpie.

Brian26
01-09-2009, 07:49 PM

You can bring your own pen if you're worried about it. Last year they had those silver paint pens for bats and helmets.

soxfandoug
01-09-2009, 08:06 PM
I have silver sharpies I could bring, but those don't turn out very well on jerseys in my experience. I had Steve Sax sign a White Sox jersey with a silver sharpie earlier this year, and it isn't very bold looking. The same week I had Bo Jackson sign a Sox jersey with a silver "paint pen" and it looks great... I just don't know what brand the pen was.

Helmets and mini helmets, however, look great signed in silver sharpie.

ChiSox89
01-09-2009, 08:46 PM
i hope that one of these years, maybe even this year, that the sox announce that they have made a move, a big move. that would be pretty cool. i cant wait for soxfest, i'll be there the whole weekend:)

JermaineDye05
01-13-2009, 01:36 AM
Well a late christmas gift, my dad informed me over the weekend that he has upgraded me to the premium package :bandance::bandance::bandance:.

Since I've only been to soxfest once before and those weren't premium, I'd appreciate it if anyone could inform me on what I could expect. My dad read me some of the exclusive stuff, i.e. private autograph/photo sessions.

BainesHOF
01-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Well a late christmas gift, my dad informed me over the weekend that he has upgraded me to the premium package :bandance::bandance::bandance:.

Since I've only been to soxfest once before and those weren't premium, I'd appreciate it if anyone could inform me on what I could expect. My dad read me some of the exclusive stuff, i.e. private autograph/photo sessions.

I believe part of the perks of a premium ticket is the ability to go to the front of the line with other premium ticket holders at the start of a session. As you mentioned, you'll also get a private autograph session or two.

My suggestion is to take full advantage of of the opportunity by coming prepared. Decide what you want to get signed - baseball, photos, a bat, etc. The players will have a variety of markers.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-13-2009, 03:12 AM
Completly forgot individual tickets went on sale today, so Saturday was sold out, and I can't go both days, so got Sunday. I just hope some of the bigger named guys are there since it's Super Bowl Sunday, lol.

esbrechtel
01-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Current players, coaches and staff scheduled to attend are Ken Williams, Ozzie Guillen, Brian Anderson, Harold Baines, Jeff Cox, John Danks, Jermaine Dye, Chris Getz, Paul Konerko, Scott Linebrink, Juan Nieves, Jerry Owens, Carlos Quentin, Clayton Richard, Adam Russell, Jim Thome, Mark Salas, Ehren Wassermann, Greg Walker and Dewayne Wise. Announcers Ken “Hawk” Harrelson, Steve Stone and Ed Farmer also will be in attendance.

Legendary White Sox executives and players also will attend SoxFest, include: Roland Hemond, Kevin Hickey, Ron Kittle, Bill Melton, Minnie Minoso and Moose Skowron. This year marks the 50th anniversary of the American League champion “Go-Go Sox” team. Commemorating the occasion, former White Sox players Jim McAnany, Jim Landis, Billy Pierce, Jim Rivera and Bob Shaw are scheduled to attend SoxFest.

Kinda glad I decided to opt out this year. I have autos from all but 9 of those guys and of the 9 I would only really want to get 3 of the (Quentin I should have got last year :angry: but I blew it)

esbrechtel
01-13-2009, 11:12 AM
I forgot to mention to bring your own pens....sometimes those pens have signed over 200 autos and if you are getting a jersey signed make sure you are using a good silver pen...

soxfandoug
01-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Are there usually any unannounced guests? I know Jim Thome showed up at Paul Konerko's table that one time... is stuff like that typical? Any chance Robin Ventura will show up, lol?

Chrisaway
01-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Are there usually any unannounced guests? I know Jim Thome showed up at Paul Konerko's table that one time... is stuff like that typical? Any chance Robin Ventura will show up, lol?I believe Bo Jackson showed up unannounced for a day in '05.

Ragator43
01-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Anyone know what time room checkout is scheduled for on Sunday?

BainesHOF
01-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Anyone know what time room checkout is scheduled for on Sunday?

Since the Palmer House clearly pushed the Sox into having Soxfest on Super Bowl weekend, the least it can do is offer attendees a 3 p.m. checkout time.

officerron
01-19-2009, 05:09 PM
What about picking up your Soxfest passes? I know you pick up your 3 day passes when you check in, so when's the earliest you can check-in?

Also, if you got just a 2 day pass, can you pick it up on Friday, or have to wait til Saturday?

soxwon
01-19-2009, 05:23 PM
whoo hoo rejoice, a REVERAND FREE soxfest!!!!!!!

soxfandoug
01-19-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm checking into the Palmer house on the Thursday night prior to Soxfest. I'll post if I find out any info when I get to the hotel.

salty99
01-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Add Jenks to the list of attendees.

officerron
01-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Add Jenks to the list of attendees.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp183/mcbtrain929/GIF%20Files/342.gif

JermaineDye05
01-21-2009, 01:50 AM
What time do festivities end typically during Soxfest? because my family has tickets to spamalot and originally had a ticket for me but then got me the sox fest tickets. My family has offered to pick me up from the hotel to see the show, I'd like to spend as much time at Soxfest as I could though, however if the festivities for that particular day end before the show then I'll try and go to both.

EDIT: NVM, I just found the schedule online.

officerron
01-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Wasn't Gavin Floyd on the original list of players to be at Soxfest? It looks like he was taken off...

soxfandoug
01-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Yes, Floyd was on the original list. It looks like Jim McAnany has been taken off of the list as well.

soxwon
01-21-2009, 07:43 PM
will andruw jones be listed?

OfficerKark
01-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Good Stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpgloOssBR4

soxfandoug
01-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Are they ever going to announce the dates and times that the players will be there?

If I'm there for all three days, is it unrealistic to hope that I can get autographs from Jim Thome, Paul Konerko, Jermaine Dye, and John Danks? I've spent quite a bit on items for those 4 to sign, and it only recently dawned on my there is a chance I won't be able to get all 4. Of course I'd like others as well, but if I can get those 4 I'll be a happy Sox fan :D:.

Sockinchisox
01-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Are they ever going to announce the dates and times that the players will be there?

If I'm there for all three days, is it unrealistic to hope that I can get autographs from Jim Thome, Paul Konerko, Jermaine Dye, and John Danks? I've spent quite a bit on items for those 4 to sign, and it only recently dawned on my there is a chance I won't be able to get all 4. Of course I'd like others as well, but if I can get those 4 I'll be a happy Sox fan :D:.

The schedule will probably be posted early next week. And no, it's not unrealistic, it all depends on scheduling really.

Ragator43
01-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Anyone have any insider info on why AJ and Buehrle are MIA from that list?

officerron
01-21-2009, 11:46 PM

I wouldn't say it's unrealistic, but it'll be challenging and good planning is gonna be needed. What they did last year is book all of the bigger names at the same time (usually the first time in the AM). So my guess is on Sat and Sun, Thome/Konerko/Dye will all be doing signings at the same time. So what you need to do is make sure you get there nice and early each morning to get one of them each day to guarantee you get 2 of them to sign for you.

The only wrench that might be thrown into the equation is if Thome only signs 1 day (last year, he was only scheduled to sign Sunday, then had to cancel last second). Hopefully, he signs 2 days (maybe 3), but if he only signs 1, it'll be extremely difficult to get him.

I expect the morning signings to be full with Konerko/Dye/Thome/Quentin/Jenks, so you should have no problem getting Danks later on in the day.

Again, that's all just my opinion. I'll be on a similar hunt, trying to get Quentin/Thome/Konerko/Jenks, so hopefully some big names will be signing Friday, not just Wise/Richard/Wassermann/'59 team, etc.

soxfandoug
01-21-2009, 11:51 PM
If Thome is only signing 1 day, I think I'll get in line right now.

Funny thing is, I've gotten Thome's autograph in person a bunch of times... but he was on the Indians then, so that stuff is meaningless, lol.

salty99
01-22-2009, 12:51 PM
No pull-a-pencil booth this year

krohnjw
01-22-2009, 01:30 PM

Lame :o: that was always a great deal and seemed to pay off reasonably often with non-junk prizes

Sockinchisox
01-22-2009, 01:32 PM
I hope they have discounted authentic jersey's again this year, I might buy a Danks one if they do.

sox60
01-23-2009, 07:21 PM
hi, i have a weekend pass for soxfest 2009 , but i haven't been to the palmer yet ... does anyone know where you can park for the soxfest 2009 .... i was planning on getting down there realy early a.m prob for both days ...thanks

soxwon
01-23-2009, 07:47 PM
hi, i have a weekend pass for soxfest 2009 , but i haven't been to the palmer yet ... does anyone know where you can park for the soxfest 2009 .... i was planning on getting down there realy early a.m prob for both days ...thanks

take the L, not alot of parking.

soxwon
01-23-2009, 07:48 PM

Hal's not going? wowie zowie

sox60
01-23-2009, 08:53 PM
take the L, not alot of parking.
i was planning on getting to the hotel around 4 or 5 am can i catch the L to get downtown and to the hotel that early?

whitesoxwilkes
01-23-2009, 09:34 PM

Source?

salty99
01-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Source?

The charity renewal form I got in the mail.

Sockinchisox
01-26-2009, 08:45 PM
AJ will not be at SoxFest because he is going to the Super Bowl.

DumpJerry
01-26-2009, 09:01 PM
i was planning on getting to the hotel around 4 or 5 am can i catch the L to get downtown and to the hotel that early?
Can you check in that early? Most hotels have check-in times later in the morning. Your room might be in use at 4:00 a.m.

The Red Line runs 24 hours and stops right next to the hotel.

Sockinchisox
01-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Can you check in that early? Most hotels have check-in times later in the morning. Your room might be in use at 4:00 a.m.

The Red Line runs 24 hours and stops right next to the hotel.

He has a weekend pass, he's not staying at the hotel.

soxfandoug
01-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Buddy Bell and Doug Loumann will also be at Soxfest.

salty99
01-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Hotel packages are now sold out.

Ragator43
01-27-2009, 06:37 PM
For those planning to drive, Lot A will be open for SoxFest attendees to park in from 12 pm Friday til 5 pm Sunday.

skobabe8
01-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Isnt soxfest usually the weekend before super bowl?

sox60
01-28-2009, 11:50 AM
For those planning to drive, Lot A will be open for SoxFest attendees to park in from 12 pm Friday til 5 pm Sunday.
how often and from what times do they take you over from the cell to the hotel...thanks

hi im skot
01-28-2009, 11:54 AM
how often and from what times do they take you over from the cell to the hotel...thanks

You can park and take the red line right to the hotel.

sox60
01-28-2009, 12:05 PM
You can park and take the red line right to the hotel.
got it... just called ...thanks

sox60
01-28-2009, 12:09 PM
hi, does anyone know how will call works at the hotel ? can u pick your tickets up for sat and sun any time? i was planning on getting there at the hotel real early around 4 or 5 to line up for autos depending on who's signing 1st ....but i wondered , if it will be easy then to get your tickets ? ...thanks

Brian26
01-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Schedule is up.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/y2009/soxfest09_sked.pdf

All the heavy hitters sign at 4:45pm on Friday.

Sockinchisox
01-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Damn, I was trying to get Quentin, Danks and Ramirez but it looks like I'll have to settle for 2 of them.

salty99
01-28-2009, 04:20 PM
It looks like Thome is only there on Sat., Konerko on fri/sat, and Jenks Sat./Sun.

soxfandoug
01-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed by the schedule. I was really hoping Thome would be there more than 1 day.

Is there any chance of getting 2 big name people that are signing at roughly the same time? For example, on Sunday Danks and Alexei are both signing at 9am. If I was truly the first person to get Danks or Alexei, is there ANY chance that wristbands would still be available for the other player?

Also, when you get in line really early, like people will be doing for Thome on Saturday, where does the line form? Indoors, I assume?

Damn, I just realized that there is probably no way to get Dye, Thome, and Konerko! Thome is only there Saturday, Dye & Konerko Friday/Saturday. This really sucks, I bought jerseys =(

Sockinchisox
01-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed by the schedule. I was really hoping Thome would be there more than 1 day.

Is there any chance of getting 2 big name people that are signing at roughly the same time? For example, on Sunday Danks and Alexei are both signing at 9am. If I was truly the first person to get Danks or Alexei, is there ANY chance that wristbands would still be available for the other player?

Also, when you get in line really early, like people will be doing for Thome on Saturday, where does the line form? Indoors, I assume?

No way, I'd like to get Quentin at 10 on Sat. and then go to Danks at 12 but that's pretty much impossible as well.

And yes, you line up indoors, in the ballroom I think it is.

soxfandoug
01-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Are the wristband lines all together? Or do you line up for the wristbands near each stage where that player will be signing?

Sockinchisox
01-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Are the wristband lines all together? Or do you line up for the wristbands near each stage where that player will be signing?

You line up for wristbands at the place where the player will be signing. After you get the wristband you're free to go wherever because you're guaranteed a autograph.

Domeshot17
01-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Hopefully Thome actually shows up this time, You think after the debacle last year he would have been there more than 1 day this year.

all*star quentin
01-28-2009, 09:47 PM

Damn, I just realized that there is probably no way to get Dye, Thome, and Konerko! Thome is only there Saturday, Dye & Konerko Friday/Saturday. This really sucks, I bought jerseys =(

There's a red box in the lower right corner of the schedule, that says
**Important information regarding wristbands for autographs **

BainesHOF
01-28-2009, 11:36 PM
With his one appearance this year, Thome is now 1 for 9 on possible Soxfest days since he joined the organization. (I don't count his jumping in Konerko's line for a few minutes one day in his first year.)

Ragator43
01-28-2009, 11:49 PM
No way, I'd like to get Quentin at 10 on Sat. and then go to Danks at 12 but that's pretty much impossible as well.

And yes, you line up indoors, in the ballroom I think it is.

The line Sunday morning last year was pretty ridiculous, primarily for Thome. People lined up at the entrance just past midnight in an attempt to improve their odds of getting a wristband for him. I'm sure this year will be the same Friday night.

That said, I look forward to staying up all night and spending it in line to hopefully get the one signature that eluded me last year.

salty99
01-28-2009, 11:52 PM
With his one appearance this year, Thome is now 1 for 9 on possible Soxfest days since he joined the organization. (I don't count his jumping in Konerko's line for a few minutes one day in his first year.)

Incorrect. Thome was there in 2006 Friday night only. 2007 is when he jumped in line. 2008 he couldn't make it. 2009 only Saturday.

soxfandoug
01-28-2009, 11:54 PM
My wife isn't looking forward to standing in line all night, lol. I think I know the answer to this question, but I assume it would be frowned upon for her to sleep in a little bit, and join me in line a bit later? We've done that in other scenarios (like standing in line to get an iPhone), but I don't know how ruthless this crowd will be, lol.

Ragator43
01-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Does anyone have a general number of how many hotel rooms and corresponding passes were sold this year?

BainesHOF
01-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Incorrect. Thome was there in 2006 Friday night only. 2007 is when he jumped in line. 2008 he couldn't make it. 2009 only Saturday.

Thanks for correcting me. That makes him 2 for 12 - if he shows up this year.

sox60
01-29-2009, 09:50 AM
i have tickets for sat and sun , and i was told that you have to pick up your tickets at will call at the hotel .... i was planning on getting to the hotel very very early sat morning to try to get an autograph from jim thome ....do you have to be a guest at the hotel to line up over night to get his autograph ?.... i just talked to someone at the white sox and she said they won't open the doors until like 8 sat morning for people with tickets for sat....is this true? does anyone know if you can't get in until sat at like 8 ? ... there would be no way for non hotel guests then to get the early autographs

esbrechtel
01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
My wife isn't looking forward to standing in line all night, lol. I think I know the answer to this question, but I assume it would be frowned upon for her to sleep in a little bit, and join me in line a bit later? We've done that in other scenarios (like standing in line to get an iPhone), but I don't know how ruthless this crowd will be, lol.

My personal feelings (they do not reflect those of the mob) is that if it is 1 for 1 you shouldn't have a problem. Now if you stand in line all night and 3 or 4 people come the next morning to wait with you you will have issues, if its just your wife I am sure you will be fine....

Sockinchisox
01-29-2009, 11:22 AM
i have tickets for sat and sun , and i was told that you have to pick up your tickets at will call at the hotel .... i was planning on getting to the hotel very very early sat morning to try to get an autograph from jim thome ....do you have to be a guest at the hotel to line up over night to get his autograph ?.... i just talked to someone at the white sox and she said they won't open the doors until like 8 sat morning for people with tickets for sat....is this true? does anyone know if you can't get in until sat at like 8 ? ... there would be no way for non hotel guests then to get the early autographs

In past years, the only people who were allowed to wait at like 4 or 5 were hotel guests, not sure if that's changed or not.

MCHSoxFan
01-29-2009, 09:00 PM
So is AJ/MB FOR SURE NOT going to be there? Thanks for info!

Sockinchisox
01-29-2009, 09:59 PM
So is AJ/MB FOR SURE NOT going to be there? Thanks for info!

Not gonna be there, neither of them are on the schedule.

(http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/www.twitter.com/jimmyissooper)

soxfandoug
01-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Well, that was awesome. I just stepped out of my room to go check things out, and I practically ran into Alexei Ramirez. He just signed a SS ROMLB for me, not 20 feet from my hotel room. :redneck

salty99
01-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Other sites are also reporting Danks, Hemond, and Shaw have signed. Dye did not. Ramirez, Konerko, Wise, Floyd, Danks and Ozzie signed going into the special event at ESPN Zone.

#1swisher
01-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Well, that was awesome. I just stepped out of my room to go check things out, and I practically ran into Alexei Ramirez. He just signed a SS ROMLB for me, not 20 feet from my hotel room. :redneck

Sweet, that's why you should get the hotel package!:cool:

Sockinchisox
01-30-2009, 12:55 PM
For those interested I'll be liveblogging all 3 days of SoxFest via twitter. I'll be at three seminars tonight so there should be some fun info.

http://www.twitter.com/jimmyissooper

ChiSox89
01-30-2009, 12:56 PM
cant wait for soxfest!!! i'll be there all three days:smile:

#1swisher
01-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Does anyone have a general number of how many hotel rooms and corresponding passes were sold this year?

As of 12:20pm today, 2 day passes still available.

kruzer31
01-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know how much longer its gonna be at the Palmer house. The days at the Hyatt with the Atrium Bar were incredible drinking with A.J., Rowand, Melton, Ozzie, Cora, and others. I went the first year at the Palmer house and really did not enjoy it. Then again, Im not one for change.

JEFF

all*star quentin
01-30-2009, 06:51 PM
For those interested I'll be liveblogging all 3 days of SoxFest via twitter. I'll be at three seminars tonight so there should be some fun info.

http://www.twitter.com/jimmyissooper

Hey, so I'm on twitter...Kenny said that fans will be wearing Josh Fields t-shirt next season, give me more!

You should start a new thread titled...LIVE FROM SOXFEST 09
Thanks for the cool updates. So who's in the team photo? I only can name Dye,BA, Danks

Lip Man 1
01-30-2009, 08:39 PM
If the twitter poster had this accurately, it says a lot in my opinion:

Ozzie on coaches teaching players at MLB level: we're here to win, not to teach

Considering the Sox minor league operation can't seem to teach them that puts the big league team in quite a spot doesn't it?

No wonder they can't bunt well, run the bases well, or hit the other way.

Wonderful.

I agree with Ozzie in theory, these guys should easily know how to do this stuff by the time they get to the big leagues...but they don't and if the big club won't teach them, then who the hell will?

Lip

Lip Man 1
01-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Another thought...it's hard to play "Ozzie-ball" when you can't do the fundamentals, no?

Lip

soxfandoug
01-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Day 1 (including the 1 auto last night):

Paul Konerko - jersey, 05 WS Ball
Jermaine Dye - jersey
Carlos Quentin - 16x20
John Danks - 16x20 (inscribed 2008 Tiebreaker Win), 2 cards, 2 photos
Alexei Ramirez - 2 8x10s, 1 SS ROMLB
Ozzie Guillen - 2 cards
Harold Baines - 16x20, 8x10
Bill Melton - 16x20 (inscribed 1971 AL HR Champ)
Gavin Floyd - 2 8x10s
Bob Shaw - 2 8x10s
Clayton Richard - 1 8x10, 1 card
Jim Landis - 1 Gold Glove Baseball (inscribed 5x GG)
Jeff Cox - 2 cards
Ed Farmer - 2 cards
Chris Getz - 2 cards
Hawk Harrelson - 2 cards
Kevin Hickey - 2 cards
Jerry Owens - 2 cards
Billy Pierce - 1 card
Adam Russell - 2 cards
Ehren Wassermann - 2 cards

EuroSox35
01-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for that Twitter link, very cool

Trib is also doing a live update thing, but doesn't seem to be getting updated http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/soxfest-2009/
and their photo gallery http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-2009-soxfest-photos,0,1064771.photogallery

Cowley has his Twitter going too, his is just depressing though, I'm not the pollyanna type, but he's getting annoyed at any thing positive at all is mentioned, which is inturn is much more annoying in itself imo. Ripping the fanbase (and what do you expect from a team at a fanfest, esp one that went to the playoffs that year), probably not the best move to attract readers

JermaineDye05
01-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I was happy to get my Quentin autograph first, and it wasn't just an autograph from a player like Carlos Quentin it was THE Carlos Quentin. I even got him to sign it "The Carlos Quentin" :cool:

SoxGirl4Life
01-30-2009, 10:42 PM
I was happy to get my Quentin autograph first, and it wasn't just an autograph from a player like Carlos Quentin it was THE Carlos Quentin. I even got him to sign it "The Carlos Quentin" :cool:

Very cool. Did he act like he knew the story behind it? Or did he just look at you funny?

JermaineDye05
01-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Very cool. Did he act like he knew the story behind it? Or did he just look at you funny?

He laughed and was like "If you want." The other people at the table cracked up, I don't know if he knew the meaning behind it.

SoxandtheCityTee
01-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Just sighted on the WGN News at 9 coverage of SoxFest: ChiSoxGirl, front and center with a big smile on her face!

DirtySox
01-30-2009, 11:23 PM
I suppose this can go in the SoxFest thread:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-31-white-sox-bits-chicagojan31,0,3019510.story

Apparently Danks put on 15 pounds of muscle in the offseason, and on the other end of the spectrum Ozzie says Dotel is out of shape.

Any of you SoxFest attendees notice the difference?

Lip Man 1
01-30-2009, 11:33 PM
I asked Mark Gonzales about Ozzie's "comment" on teaching at the big league level. Here is what he's sent back:

FYI:

"Mark,

Great to hear from you. Hope you had a good winter and survived all the snow.

I don't know if those were Ozzie's exact words, but I've heard him say that in the past, specifically about the decision to keep Ramirez on the major league roster last year.

I can tell you this I heard for sure: Ozzie told the crowd about using a "half field" where players THROUGHOUT the organization would work on their bunting and situational hitting. Coach Jeff Cox acknowledged this as well (feel free to use this). I know that the LA Dodgers already have constructed their bunting pit at Glendale (under the supervision of Roger Bossard - called Maury's Pit for Maury Wills).

But we heard this at this time last year, and we saw the awful results. And I actually did see them once work on situational hitting, but that was before the first exhibition game.

I think they forced themselves into a situation where they HAVE to play some small ball (because of their new personnel), or they're looking at a second-division finish. But they can't ignore the long ball in their park. I'm curious to see, with a long spring training ahead of us, how much time is devoted to using this half field and employing situational hitting drills.

Oh, and Ozzie also told us that the third base is Josh Fields' job to lose."

Lip

IlliniSox
01-30-2009, 11:39 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-31-white-sox-bits-chicagojan31,0,3019510.story

Apparently Danks put on 15 pounds of muscle in the offseason, and on the other end of the spectrum Ozzie says Dotel is out of shape.

Danks, (I think??):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2009-01/44795763.jpg

chisoxfanatic
01-30-2009, 11:44 PM
and on the other end of the spectrum Ozzie says Dotel is out of shape
He sure seemed out of shape even DURING the season, so I don't think that is a surprise.

WhiteSox1989
01-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Oh man...That picture of Danks is providing me with some laughs.

Sockinchisox
01-31-2009, 12:34 AM
Hey guys, glad your enjoying the twitter stuff. I just got back to my room after about 2 and a half hours of boozing ha. But it's been fun so far, I'm not a big autograph seeker but I love the atmosphere and I really love the seminars and find them funny and insightful.

And Lip regarding the Ozzie comment, someone asked about the lack of situational hitting. And the response he basically gave was that they should be taught that at the minor league level and that at the major league level they shouldn't need to be taught this stuff.

Sockinchisox
01-31-2009, 12:47 AM

Actually, ya Danks looked a lot bigger than I'm used to seeing him.

TheOldRoman
01-31-2009, 01:27 AM
On Sportsnight, they just showed some guy asking Ozzie "how do you expect the situational hitting to improve under Greg Walker when it has been bad for five years?"

Just so everyone knows, that was not me.:D:

JermaineDye05
01-31-2009, 01:28 AM

Proof of my autograph from "The" Carlos Quentin :cool:

Rocky Soprano
01-31-2009, 11:06 AM

Proof of my autograph from "The" Carlos Quentin :cool:

That is bad ass!

Lip Man 1
01-31-2009, 12:57 PM
This and that from Friday's Sox Fest. Five notes.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/soxfest-2009/

Also read in the Sun-Times Kenny's quote that "he should have fired (Duane) Schaeffer earlier..." Duane was the farm system director and Kenny regretted not getting rid of him sooner when the farm system wasn't producing.

Lip

BainesHOF
01-31-2009, 08:09 PM
None of the Griffey jerseys showed use. I was hoping to buy a game-worn one, but they didn't have any of Griffey. Some prices were strangely inappropriate.

I'll report more later. I made a pit stop at home and am heading back to the hotel to gear up for Sunday.

Viva Medias B's
01-31-2009, 09:17 PM
I was at Soxfest today and the morning seminar with Kenny and Ozzie was interesting. Some fans got on Kenny for "not spending enough money," but KW pointed out that we are about fifth in MLB when it comes to payroll. He also said that he would make trades he does not necessarily like to keep certain people on the roster. One case in point was a trade he made so that the Sox could keep Mark Buehrle. Also, Kenny got hot at a fan who got up to the microphone and said "Good riddance to Joe Crede." KW implied that we would not have won the World Series without Crede and that Crede busted his ass every day.

The true highlight was when a kid made a good point at the microphone, and KW invited him to sit right up on the dais. The kid stayed there until the end of the seminar and made several good points on several topics. He was the star of the seminar for sure.

I also attened the seminar with Brooks Boyer who fielded several critical questions from the fans. He did answer them to most fans' satisfaction. Brooks also said, which I am sure has been mentioned here at WSI already, that there will be a new LED out of town scoreboard that will show the player at bat, the pitcher, and the base situation. It will also provide all kinds of stats pertinent to the Sox game going on.

Finally, I was at the seminar with TCQ, Gavin Floyd, and Jeff Cox. Cox is just plain goofy, and it played well with the crowd. The packed seminar was a strong measure of how popular Quentin has become, with a majority of fans directing their questions toward him. Steve Stone, co-hosting the seminar with Hawk, fielded a comment from a fan who is delighted that he is here and not on the North Side. Hawk went on to say that while Sox fans have passion, Cub fans have beer.

I also watched part of the Score broadcast next to one of the autograph areas with Chris Rongey and a very raspy-voiced Ozzie Guillen Jr.

getonbckthr
01-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Oh man...That picture of Danks is providing me with some laughs.
Put some blonde wacked out facial hair on him and you got Nick Swisher.

soxfan1983
01-31-2009, 09:39 PM
I was at Soxfest today and the morning seminar with Kenny and Ozzie was interesting. Some fans got on Kenny for "not spending enough money," but KW pointed out that we are about fifth in MLB when it comes to payroll. He also said that he would make trades he does not necessarily like to keep certain people on the roster. One case in point was a trade he made so that the Sox could keep Mark Buehrle. Also, Kenny got hot at a fan who got up to the microphone and said "Good riddance to Joe Crede." KW implied that we would not have won the World Series without Crede and that Crede busted his ass every day.

The true highlight was when a kid made a good point at the microphone, and KW invited him to sit right up on the dais. The kid stayed there until the end of the seminar and made several good points on several topics. He was the star of the seminar for sure.

I also attened the seminar with Brooks Boyer who fielded several critical questions from the fans. He did answer them to most fans' satisfaction. Brooks also said, which I am sure has been mentioned here at WSI already, that there will be a new LED out of town scoreboard that will show the player at bat, the pitcher, and the base situation. It will also provide all kinds of stats pertinent to the Sox game going on.

Finally, I was at the seminar with TCQ, Gavin Floyd, and Jeff Cox. Cox is just plain goofy, and it played well with the crowd. The packed seminar was a strong measure of how popular Quentin has become, with a majority of fans directing their questions toward him. Steve Stone, co-hosting the seminar with Hawk, fielded a comment from a fan who is delighted that he is here and not on the North Side. Hawk went on to say that while Sox fans have passion, Cub fans have beer.

I also watched part of the Score broadcast next to one of the autograph areas with Chris Rongey and a very raspy-voiced Ozzie Guillen Jr.

I was at that seminar with the kid too. it was so funny when he put those d-bags in their place for ragging on kenny. some "fans" were so opinionated of everything kenny has done. so annoying.

one last thing... my buddy mike was one of the two who won those split-season tickets. it was so funny when ozzie couldn't pronounce mike's last name. i was the one in the konerko jersey taking pictures. kinda crazy that he won and they gave him and the girl who won those oversized tickets and both kenny and ozzie signed them for him and her. pretty bada$$. we got treated really well the whole day. limo there and back, free entrance into soxfest and got to meet ozzie and kenny. the white sox are definitely class.

JohnTucker0814
01-31-2009, 10:14 PM

It's about time! I don't recall reading about this on here anywhere... I'm glad to see it though!

whitesoxwilkes
01-31-2009, 10:23 PM
I was there for a bit today. Saw Thome and BA heading to auto sessions and chatted with Brian26 for a while.

Bought a Crede game-used bat and a Civil Rights Game jersey. $100 each.

Soxfest ain't what it used to be.

Brian26
01-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Friday:
Konerko on World Series ball
Wise on 8 x 10
Getz on 8 x 10
Garage Sale: Uribe GU bat for my 2005 collection ($20 steal) & Fisk bobblehead

Saturday:
Konerko on 2005 ASG ball
Konerko on 2006 ASG ball
BA on Division Clinching Catch 8 x 10
Wassermann on 8 x 10
Richard on 8 x 10

Sunday should be a quick day. Hope to get any two of Danks, Floyd, TCQ or TCM.

Good seeing Salty, Wilkes, BainesHOF and Ranger there.

Sunday Update:
Quentin on 2008 ASG ball
Floyd on 8 x 10

Brian26
01-31-2009, 11:02 PM

I like Hawk, but he seems to come up with one bull**** line every year at Soxfest. In 2006, he said Ozzie would have been two-for-two if Frank and Mags didn't go down in 2004. Today he said if TCQ and Crede didn't go down last year, the Sox would have won the World Series because everyone knew we were the best team. :rolleyes:

JermaineDye05
01-31-2009, 11:53 PM
I was at that seminar with the kid too. it was so funny when he put those d-bags in their place for ragging on kenny. some "fans" were so opinionated of everything kenny has done. so annoying.

one last thing... my buddy mike was one of the two who won those split-season tickets. it was so funny when ozzie couldn't pronounce mike's last name. i was the one in the konerko jersey taking pictures. kinda crazy that he won and they gave him and the girl who won those oversized tickets and both kenny and ozzie signed them for him and her. pretty bada$$. we got treated really well the whole day. limo there and back, free entrance into soxfest and got to meet ozzie and kenny. the white sox are definitely class.

I was there too, and to be honest I enjoyed the kid but I was a little irritated because it didn't give me a chance to ask a question. That wasn't all on the kid though, there were a lot of fans who while I understand they have a ton of knowledge and all, but seriously could you cut the question down a bit? They give you 1 question for a reason, but please don't take 5 minutes asking that question. I make sure my questions last under a minute.

EDIT: Oh and some blame goes to Hawk, jeez can he meander or what?

JermaineDye05
02-01-2009, 12:05 AM
For the MVP people: Did anyone else see Ozzie, right before the private autograph session Friday, sneak up on Rongey and scream in his ear? My friend and I were dying when we saw that.

skobabe8
02-01-2009, 11:41 AM
The new out of town board sounds like its going to be a really high tech board with lots of info.

soxfanreggie
02-01-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm just hoping next year that they don't schedule it the same weekend as the ISU-Bradley game. Since I'll be on temporary assignment next year at this time, I would love to fly back for this weekend.

Chrisaway
02-01-2009, 02:28 PM
None of the Griffey jerseys showed use. I was hoping to buy a game-worn one, but they didn't have any of Griffey. Some prices were strangely inappropriate.

I'll report more later. I made a pit stop at home and am heading back to the hotel to gear up for Sunday.I saw one for 2500$. I believe it was a cool base one.

itsnotrequired
02-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Mod edit: copyrighted material removed.

itsnotrequired edit: http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2009-01/44795758.jpg

:noevil:

itsnotrequired commentary: probably should remove the other tribune hotlinked image in this thread

Brian26
02-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Chalk this up to one of the most awkward moments in Soxfest history.

Some knucklehead got into a spat with Cox at today's morning seminar. Without mentioning Cox's name, he told Ozzie that he didn't want to see any more runners thrown out by 50-feet at home this year (by the way, to put this in perspective, the guy had a drink in one hand and took the microphone off of the stand to ask his question). Cox then told the guy to quit mumbling and step up to the microphone if he had something to say (which is rather funny since all Cox does is mumble). Cox is insane and the fan seemed half drunk, so it was an uncomfortable moment.

But this is the best part...

Then Ozzie goes on to say that he takes the blame if anyone gets thrown out at home because he and Cox have signs and sometimes Ozzie wants someone to be thrown out at home on purpose depending on who's coming up to bat to start off the next inning. :scratch: It was one of those moments when you can't believe you just heard that come out of his mouth.

skobabe8
02-01-2009, 03:02 PM
I saw one for 2500$. I believe it was a cool base one.

I beg your pardon?

Domeshot17
02-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Just got back, here was my recap of this years event:

Overall, the smoothest it has been since the move. They seemed prepared for most of the expected problems.

Friday was a ton of fun as usual. I love that it is hotel Guests only as it gives you time to get around and do more.

Saturday was insane. We were in line around 230-245 am and in the first 50-100 people or so. It was jammed for Thome as expected. Security did a great job of keeping people in their place. I have no problem with people holding A spot or 2 in line personally. 2 people holding a spot or 1 person holding 1 spot fine. My thing is the other person SHOULD be there still early (6ish). Security at about 7 finally said enough was enough if you are holding a spot good look they should have been down here sooner. We got moved up into the hallway from the big waiting room around 630-7 am. Some kids tried to sneak into the back of that line but some random lady at the end was policing it really good.

The only real problem was Security was so tight on the lines they didn't have people watching the elevators so a fair amount of jumpers snuck in. Overall there had to be 1000 people trying to get inline for Thome. You had to feel bad for the people who just missed the cut for the wristbands, especially if they had been waiting since 4 or 5 am and people jumped.

After that we stayed in the same area, I got Anderson to sign a 16x20 of his diving catch to win the division and he signed it Division Clinching Catch. My wife jumped in Ozzie's line after that to get a world series program signed for my Dad. We worked it really well too just hanging out until the line was about dead so we never really split up.

Sunday we took it easy. My wife got up early to get something signed by Quentin then we just waited around for his photo booth. I felt bad I guess I embarrased the heck out of her. She wanted to be in the middle of me and carlos for the picture but I said it a little loud and got a decent laugh out of he crowd. Oh Well.

Overall this is the best it has been since the World Series. I think part of it was this year we just targeted certain guys and didn't run around trying for everyone.

The Garage Sale had some good Finds. I picked up a Game Used Cool Base Adam Russell jersey for 25 bucks and had him sign it. You could tell the economy impact in the Vending Area. Usually there are 4-5 tables of pictures and already signed autographs there, and this year there was only 1. I also picked up a 16x20 signed photo of Uribes World Series catch in the stands at the booth.

Getz was a nice kid. I told him I think he is going to be the AL Rookie of the Year, he laughed, said he hopes so but he has some tough competition both on the Sox just to be a starter.

The guy who seemed to love SoxFest the most was by Far Alexei! When he signed his english was much improved, asking us how big and where to sign. We saw him in the hall with a security guard waiting for the private elevator and my wife yelled ALEXEI!!!! and he got a huge smile, waived, gave her a hug and shook my hand. Brian Anderson also was very personable. Some of the staff sucked (the white sox staff not the hotel) but overall I grade this Soxfest an A.

Chrisaway
02-01-2009, 03:30 PM
I beg your pardon?

I know that's pretty ridiculous. Paulie and Dye were only 500$. I got an Ozuna for 75$ :D:. I'll post my full recap after the superbowl.

soxwon
02-01-2009, 03:50 PM

key is mod edit: the key is not to use WSI as a way to tell people how to circumvent Sox security policies.

soxwon
02-01-2009, 03:52 PM
where did the players drink this weekend? did anyone here party with them at the hotel?
Thats why i miss the hyatt, half the team is at the bar on friday nights.

Domeshot17
02-01-2009, 03:58 PM
where did the players drink this weekend? did anyone here party with them at the hotel?
Thats why i miss the hyatt, half the team is at the bar on friday nights.

Not nearly as cool but Baines Melton and a few others had dinner at Miller's Pub while we were there for dinner. I was thinking of sending a round over but ultimately decided against it.

ChiSoxGirl
02-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Just sighted on the WGN News at 9 coverage of SoxFest: ChiSoxGirl, front and center with a big smile on her face!

Apparently, I was actually the only person on the screen for at least 15 seconds during the 5:30p news on WGN... three people texted me at the same time to tell me. In turn, I texted my out-of-town friends and family who get WGN to give them a heads-up if they'd like to catch a glimpse of me. One of the people to text me just before 6p was a friend from school; God only knows how many students also saw me! :o:

According to friends and family, I also made appearances on NBC 5 and CLTV, in addition to being in a picture on the Tribune's online photo gallery! I think it's safe to say I was the most-photographed WSIer of this year's SoxFest. :redface: The Trib. photographer who took many pictures of us did so prior to the Opening Ceremony as we were watching highlights of last season, then made sure he got each of our names with their correct spellings and where we were from. He initially told us we'd be in the paper, but then retracted that and said that if we didn't make the paper, we'd be in the online photo gallery. I see the link to the picture I'm in, but can't find it in the actual gallery. Did it get updated daily or something?

ohthosechisox
02-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Overall this is the best it has been since the World Series. I think part of it was this year we just targeted certain guys and didn't run around trying for everyone.

I thought so as well. I met pretty much every player I wanted to this SoxFest (except Thome, but I gave up on that plan when I realized he'd only be there one day) because I targeted certain guys.

I ended up getting autographs from Quentin, Linebrink, Wassermann, Danks, Floyd, Ramirez, and the '59 players (Shaw, Pierce, Landis, and Rivera).

Also, all the seminars I went to this year seemed to have quite a few entertaining moments. My favorites were 'Heavy Hitters' from Friday night and the Saturday KW/Ozzie meeting with the whiz kid.

Sockinchisox
02-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I got back earlier today and it was fun.

Went to three seminars on Friday night which is usually all I do on the Friday night part, all three were really worth it. We chilled in the lobby Friday night and hung out with the usual old timers down at the bar (Kittle, Melton etc.). Kittle was going around talking to everybody, although I can't really remember what we talked about because I had had a few haha.

On Saturday I got in line around 7 and rode down on the elevator with Billy Pierce and his wife who were the nicest people ever. I went at 7 with the intention of getting Danks and Floyd at 12 but they put us in the same time they let the Empire Room in and I ended up getting Quentin at 10. I asked when they were gonna give out wristbands for Danks and Floyd but they said they had no idea so I didn't wanna wait around just to get wristbands so I went in(they were all signing in the same room.). Quentin was really cool, I kind of envisioned him being quiet guy who was there just to sign the auto's. But he was very much the opposite, he asked me where I wanted him to sign, what I wanted it to say etc. I congradulated him on his marriage (to which he said "Oh wow, thanks man I really appreciate that") and wished him good luck for next season.

I then met up with my group and we went to go get Ozzie at 2:30 which was nice. After that we attended a seminar and later that night we went to Ditka's where we ran into Farmer in the lobby and he chatted with us for a bit (I had no idea how insanely tall he is up close ha). Anderson came in a little later as well although we didn't get a chance to say hi.

Today my goal was to get Danks so I got in line at 5. A friend came down at 6 with coffee (thank god) and they put us in around 8. Danks was really cool, I had him sign an 8x10 of him pitching in game 163. I told him that he was quickly becoming one of my favorite players on the team and said that I'd be purchasing his jersey soon haha. I went over then to get Floyd at 11, he actually came in around 10:30 and started signing and this guy is one of the nicest players I've come into contact with at SoxFest. I swear he must have chatted with the fans for a good 1 to 2 minutes, I told him it was it was a real pleasure watching him grow into the fine pitcher that he is today and wished him luck on the season.

I also bought some Ad Prints at the Garage Sale and some photos, I had planned on buying a Danks authentic jersey but they didn't have any.

It was a pretty good experience but I heard a ton of people complained. The only complaint I had was the room we had which was about the size of two cubicles. But I was barely ever in the room other than to sleep so it wasn't a big deal.

ChiSoxGirl
02-01-2009, 06:02 PM
I thought so as well. I met pretty much every player I wanted to this SoxFest (except Thome, but I gave up on that plan when I realized he'd only be there one day) because I targeted certain guys.

I ended up getting autographs from Quentin, Linebrink, Wassermann, Danks, Floyd, Ramirez, and the '59 players (Shaw, Pierce, Landis, and Rivera).

Also, all the seminars I went to this year seemed to have quite a few entertaining moments. My favorites were 'Heavy Hitters' from Friday night and the Saturday KW/Ozzie meeting with the whiz kid.

Great choices on the seminars- I was at both and was highly entertained.

As for autographs, I got TCQ, Getz, and Wise on Friday night, and Ramirez, Richard, Russell, and Wassermann on Saturday. I was going to go for Floyd's autograph this morning, but decided that a picture with him would mean more to me. I was literally the third person in line at Gavin's photo session, and got right into the makeshift line for Quentin's photo session at noon. Around 10:10a, I was like the 40th person in line, so I imagine that line was closed about a half hour later. Having a picture with a guy like TCQ means so much more to me than a Floyd autograph (no disrespect to Gavin).

Side note on the Quentin photo session: I was HIGHLY impressed with him. As each person approached for the picture, he asked every single one of them their name and genuinely looked pleased to be accommodating us. He then addressed people by their names and asked how they were doing. He shook my hand after we took the picture and when I thanked him, he was very nice and extremely personable. :thumbsup:

Domeshot17, you and your wife were just ahead of me and my friends in line for pictures with Quentin and you guys were entertaining. :smile:

itsnotrequired
02-01-2009, 07:49 PM
He initially told us we'd be in the paper, but then retracted that and said that if we didn't make the paper, we'd be in the online photo gallery. I see the link to the picture I'm in, but can't find it in the actual gallery. Did it get updated daily or something?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2147833&postcount=215

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Chalk this up to one of the most awkward moments in Soxfest history.

Some knucklehead got into a spat with Cox at today's morning seminar. Without mentioning Cox's name, he told Ozzie that he didn't want to see any more runners thrown out by 50-feet at home this year (by the way, to put this in perspective, the guy had a drink in one hand and took the microphone off of the stand to ask his question). Cox then told the guy to quit mumbling and step up to the microphone if he had something to say (which is rather funny since all Cox does is mumble). Cox is insane and the fan seemed half drunk, so it was an uncomfortable moment.

But this is the best part...

Then Ozzie goes on to say that he takes the blame if anyone gets thrown out at home because he and Cox have signs and sometimes Ozzie wants someone to be thrown out at home on purpose depending on who's coming up to bat to start off the next inning. :scratch: It was one of those moments when you can't believe you just heard that come out of his mouth.

I think they continued when Cox was on 670. He was talking about a fan and then pointed him out and kindof got into it, but made it funny too. he said "there's no I in team but there is two in idiot" as he pointed at him.

JermaineDye05
02-02-2009, 12:12 AM

As for autographs, I got TCQ, Getz, and Wise on Friday night, and Ramirez, Richard, Russell, and Wassermann on Saturday. I was going to go for Floyd's autograph this morning, but decided that a picture with him would mean more to me. I was literally the third person in line at Gavin's photo session, and got right into the makeshift line for Quentin's photo session at noon. Around 10:10a, I was like the 40th person in line, so I imagine that line was closed about a half hour later. Having a picture with a guy like TCQ means so much more to me than a Floyd autograph (no disrespect to Gavin).

Side note on the Quentin photo session: I was HIGHLY impressed with him. As each person approached for the picture, he asked every single one of them their name and genuinely looked pleased to be accommodating us. He then addressed people by their names and asked how they were doing. He shook my hand after we took the picture and when I thanked him, he was very nice and extremely personable. :thumbsup:

Domeshot17, you and your wife were just ahead of me and my friends in line for pictures with Quentin and you guys were entertaining. :smile:

Quentin was definitely a great guy, Thome was real nice too but that's not unknown. He laughed when I asked him to sign the baseball "The Carlos Quentin" and I shook his hand, as you said he was very nice and personable.

JermaineDye05
02-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Mod edit: copyrighted material removed.

itsnotrequired edit: http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2009-01/44795758.jpg

:noevil:

itsnotrequired commentary: probably should remove the other tribune hotlinked image in this thread

Was that you? I definitely saw you multiple times at Soxfest. I feel bad I didn't say hello, 'cause I definitely was by you guys in the Quentin autograph line. I heard you guys say "TCQ" and I forgot that that was a WSI saying. I just thought everyone knew him as TCQ. Oh well, maybe next year.

JermaineDye05
02-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Overall Soxfest was great, however I wish I could have gotten a chance to ask Kenny my question which was "We all know that you like to fly under the radar with most of your moves. As a result it's usually the deals that no one's expecting that ends up happening. So taking that in account, when can we expect Jake Peavy on the south side?" I felt he would have gotten a kick out of that.

I did get a couple other questions answered though, I was glad to get Steve and Hawk to answer my question regarding Danks in the seminar with Russel Wassermann and Getz. I was the last one, for anyone who was there. Although they didn't agree that he's the ace of this staff, Stone did note that "John is in the infancy stages..." (he likes that expression, doesn't he?) "...of what will be a terrific career."

Domeshot17
02-02-2009, 02:11 AM

Yah Quentin was awesome. Felt a little bad, Wife was real embarrased about the Camera not being on then about the being in the middle thing. Oh well, I was running on fumes by that point with no sleep. I think at one point in line I got real confused about who takes the picture and something about a 25 dollar fee. Overall great weekend though. Seemed like there was a lot less guys, but outside of Konerko and to some extent Thome, the rest seemed really approachable.

One other funny moment. Gavin Floyd stopped to take a picture with a fan in the hallway. I was carrying a 16 x 20 photo and when he turned around after the photo nailed me with his elbow. Really nice about it, took me until he was walking away to realize who it was.

BainesHOF
02-02-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm a Soxfest veteran. Here's my take on this year's festival...

Overall, I had a good time once again. It's hard work if you're a collector trying to collect autographs, but the event, in general, is run pretty well, though it still could be improved. I think the amount of tickets sold for the Palmer House location is perfect. I heard capacity is 1,500 for Friday's hotel-guests-only day with 4,000 the figure on Saturday and again Sunday. I don't know how accurate those figures are, but that seems about right. I used to be against the exclusivity of Friday, but with how expensive a hotel stay and three-day pass has become, I think it's fair the hotel guests receive a day of their own Friday. Saturday and Sunday is more crowded, but still relatively manageable.

I got the general impression that this year's Soxfest was more perfunctatory than in recent years. A friend agreed with me. It seemed like the vibe of the staff was that they were just trying to get through the weekend instead of making sure everyone had a great experience. At one time Soxfest was more like a way to promote the team through the media and generate excitement among fans so they'd go out and buy tickets. Now it seems like it's become more of just another way to squeeze more money out of fans. Having Soxfest on Super Bowl weekend is not done with the fans in mind.

An example of this is the MVP package that is sold for a lot of money. This enables purchasers to go to the head of the line ahead of the rest of the crowd. It's a bit off-putting to wait for hours for an autograph, and then be forced to wait even longer as you watch the MVP people walk ahead of you. I think it's bad public relations. I think it'd be preferable to offer the MVP buyers their own autograph sessions.

The Sox continue to do a sometimes bad job of coordinating the autograph lines. The plastic wrist bands are a good idea because they're harder to tamper with than the old paper ones. However, some of the usher kids patrolling the entry of the rooms were not on the same page as the rules printed in the schedule. Supposedly, as printed, you were not allowed to enter an autograph line 30 minutes after a session started. Incredibly, I watched some of the workers on Level 6 bar people from entering a session 15 minutes into it. It was a bad scene to watch fans argue with the clueless workers. Personally, I don't understand even the 30-minute rule. If you have a wristband, you should be allowed to enter the line when you wish as long as the player is still signing. What's the big deal? You shouldn't have to spend the entire weekend waiting in lines. Some of the lines, like those for Alexei and the '59 group, moved extremely slow. You shouldn't be stuck in a line for two or more hours.

While we're on the subject of autographs, it's time for the Sox to stress to the players the importance of being cool with fans. There's far too many players who play games with fans in the autograph department. First, let me point out that guys like Konerko, Alexei, Danks, Anderson and Wise were absolutely fantastic with every fan from what I witnessed. I'm not sure why guys like Dye and even Thome feel the need to jag fans. Is it really necessary to go out of your way to not sign your name where a fan politely asks you to or to give a bad version of your signature for some unknown reason? Fans who spend money and time going to games and Soxfest are not the problem. Multi-millionaire prima donnas who get a perverse pleasure with jagging fans are the problem. Even Quentin was weird. On Friday, he signed a baseball in the so-called sweet spot for me with no problem. On Saturday I was hearing from some fans that he was no longer signing the sweet spot. I tried him again Sunday to get a ball signed for my little nephew, whose favorite player is Quentin. A security guard approached me as I got near Quentin and told me he's not signing on the sweet spot? ***? I asked Quentin anyway and he refused. I cajoled him and after an awkward exchange I gave him my nephew's name and he personalized it to him on the side and then autographed the sweet spot. He gave the ball back to me and asked me, seemingly genuinely, if that was OK. Sure it was. But again, what was the big deal in the first place?

Now that I'm complaining, I might as well continue with the Garage Sale. Some prices were ridiculous. I don't know if it's because the people putting it together don't know any better or if they're trying to take advantage of fans who don't know any better. The reported Griffey game-used jerseys they had for sale for $2,500 were not game used. They were, at best, worth $500 apiece as game-issued jerseys. Alexei jerseys were a whopping $1,000. Jenks was $750. They're overpriced by hundreds of dollars. I know it's for charity and that's great, but fans shouldn't be taking huge losses if they buy one. Bats with big chunks of wood missing were being sold for $300 when they're not worth more than $100. I don't understand it. It goes against the spirt of a "garage sale" and defies logic, really. The prices were particularly confounding given the state of the economy.

The photo sessions are a great thing. Unfortunately the one I took with Baines didn't turn out well enough for me to buy it, but I saw some fans get great pictures. And, if you had a camera, you could take your own pictures for free. It's a cool opportunity.

The seminars can be great. The ones with Kenny Williams and Ozzie have been popular with good reason for years. The one I saw Friday with Konerko, Dye and Quentin hosted by Hawk was awesome. The players came to play and were engaging and funny. I hope the hard-core autograph chasers found time to enjoy a seminar or two.

I know some people don't like that Soxfest is now held at the Palmer House, but I do. I like the feel of being in a historic hotel. It's elevators are particularly slow, but I can live with that. I thought the hotel's staff did a good job, especially in the way it handled and moved the lines to get into Soxfest each day.

All in all, it was a good event. I know some Sox employees put in a lot of work to make Soxfest happen. I appreciate their efforts.

Iwritecode
02-02-2009, 04:44 PM
I heard capacity is 1,500 for Friday's hotel-guests-only day with 4,000 the figure on Saturday and again Sunday. I don't know how accurate those figures are, but that seems about right.

If those numbers are correct, then they are way, way down from years past when it was at the Hyatt.

Granted it was way too crowded when they let in 25,000 people in 2005. But the years before that were usually 10,000 - 15,000.

As for the rest of your post, it looks like I haven't really been missing much the past few years...

Domeshot17
02-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I asked Quentin about the sweet spot thing. It is much different then him being a Jerk. Here is my input on a few of those guys.

Dye- For some reason he is so hit or miss. He has never been friendly to me, but to my wife and mother in law great. I have heard he is very uncomfortable sometimes when signing. If that is the case (say he might be an introverted person) I have no problem with it.

Quentin- I heard some fan running his mouth about him having a contract to not sign the sweet spot and how he is all about money. When I asked him about it he said he was always taught since he was a kid the Sweet Spot is only for the Coach and the players sign the other parts of the ball. It is just his tradition, it is more a respect thing and he was not trying to put down the fans. He was GREAT during the picture sessions, talked to us, laughed, was VERY approachable.

Thome- I like him as a player, but the guy is never into Sox Fest. He has shown up hardly at all, never for an entire weekend. He was decently friendly to my wife in line, saying it was awesome she lined up at 2 am to meet him.

Overall, I would really say guys like Quentin are Different then Thome and even Buehrle to an extent. Thome and Buehrle don't personalize much at sox fest if at all, and have their contracts to only No Hitter or 500th Homer and Dates at things like Steiner Shows.

salty99
02-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Well I kind of understand what Quentin is saying about the manager thing, I call BS on this one. Quentin has been a hot prospect for years and I can imagine he's been asked to sign on the SS for years and years even in the minor leagues. I heard the real story is he signed with a memorabilia company Friday night and it precludes him from signing on the SS from now on. It does look like however he'll do it if it's personalized.

I also agree with BainesHOF on most of his other points including the great seminar Friday night and the hilarious one with Moose and Roland Sunday afternoon. The really bad Konerko broken bats were marked down to $125 from $300 by Sunday and some of my friends were able to negotiate deals on some of the lesser jerseys.

on chisox.com they state that 9,000 people attended Soxfest

hi im skot
02-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Quentin- I heard some fan running his mouth about him having a contract to not sign the sweet spot and how he is all about money. When I asked him about it he said he was always taught since he was a kid the Sweet Spot is only for the Coach and the players sign the other parts of the ball. It is just his tradition, it is more a respect thing and he was not trying to put down the fans. He was GREAT during the picture sessions, talked to us, laughed, was VERY approachable.

It's interesting, since JermaineDye05 got Quentin to sign on the sweet spot AND included "The" in front of his autograph...

salty99
02-02-2009, 05:06 PM
It's interesting, since JermaineDye05 got Quentin to sign on the sweet spot AND included "The" in front of his autograph...

Yes he was signing on the SS on Friday. He changed on Sat. and Sunday.

Domeshot17
02-02-2009, 05:06 PM

yah that is kind of what I was saying. I think it is the way he is, but hell do it upon request. He personalized my wife's photo with her name on it, he just seemed like a completely awesome guy.

JermaineDye05
02-02-2009, 05:10 PM

Before Carlos was asking people if they were team balls, I assume the ones that said they were team balls, he wouldn't sign the SS. However he never asked me, I could care less. I was just glad to get him to sign it with "THE"

BainesHOF
02-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Before Carlos was asking people if they were team balls, I assume the ones that said they were team balls, he wouldn't sign the SS. However he never asked me, I could care less. I was just glad to get him to sign it with "THE"

On Friday, he was asking people if it was a team ball and then would sign the ball in a certain way depending on the answer. Something definitely changed from Friday to Saturday and Sunday. Him signing a contract with a memorabilia company would be a plausible explanation.

If that's the real explanation, I find it sad. A few extra thousand dollars when I'm making millions wouldn't be enough for me to have to be a jag to fans, who at Soxfest wait hours for a player's signature.

JermaineDye05
02-02-2009, 05:36 PM
On Friday, he was asking people if it was a team ball and then would sign the ball in a certain way depending on the answer. Something definitely changed from Friday to Saturday and Sunday. Him signing a contract with a memorabilia company would be a plausible explanation.

If that's the real explanation, I find it sad. A few extra thousand dollars when I'm making millions wouldn't be enough for me to have to be a jag to fans, who at Soxfest wait hours for a player's signature.

To be fair, I believe Carlos' contract is under a million.

skobabe8
02-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Reading all of these comments makes me glad I don't care about autographs.

Lorenzo Barcelo
02-02-2009, 05:58 PM

Second that. Been to every Soxfest from 91-07, but have stopped going. The number of vendors seems to shrink every year, in addition to the garage sale being outrageously priced have lured me away. I miss going to the town hall meetings though. If i were an autograph junkie, I guess I would think otherwise.

everafan
02-02-2009, 09:11 PM
I asked Quentin about the sweet spot thing. It is much different then him being a Jerk. Here is my input on a few of those guys.

Dye- For some reason he is so hit or miss. He has never been friendly to me, but to my wife and mother in law great. I have heard he is very uncomfortable sometimes when signing. If that is the case (say he might be an introverted person) I have no problem with it.

Thome- I like him as a player, but the guy is never into Sox Fest. He has shown up hardly at all, never for an entire weekend. He was decently friendly to my wife in line, saying it was awesome she lined up at 2 am to meet him.

Overall, I would really say guys like Quentin are Different then Thome and even Buehrle to an extent. Thome and Buehrle don't personalize much at sox fest if at all, and have their contracts to only No Hitter or 500th Homer and Dates at things like Steiner Shows.

I'm pretty surprised about the perception of Thome. I met him and got his autograph in Tucson last year and he could not have been more approachable and genuin.

Domeshot17
02-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm pretty surprised about the perception of Thome. I met him and got his autograph in Tucson last year and he could not have been more approachable and genuin.

It doesn't help the Sox Personnel who work the tables make it suck. During the Getz/Wise signing some little kid asked for a picture and this real rude girl working the table "WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY DROP AND MOVE DROP AND MOVE THANK YOU DROP IT TAKE IT AND MOVE" When I stepped up she was still complaining to Dewayne Wise, asking if it was a full moon because people requesting pictures and personalizations. Wise told her to chill out.

It was the same with Thome, I get they have to push along the lines, but the Sox staff overall was pretty rude the entire time in the autograph lines.

Chrisaway
02-02-2009, 09:46 PM
I got him to sign an 8x10 with "The"...
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/39/l_f30a5f7775f84d439f42a191df3ce8c2.jpg
He was cool about it. I asked him if alot of people asked him for it and he said a few and that he thought it was funny. Great guy.

ChiSoxGirl
02-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Was that you? I definitely saw you multiple times at Soxfest. I feel bad I didn't say hello, 'cause I definitely was by you guys in the Quentin autograph line. I heard you guys say "TCQ" and I forgot that that was a WSI saying. I just thought everyone knew him as TCQ. Oh well, maybe next year.

That was me (on the far right). I'm sure I saw you, too. I was hoping to meet more WSIers at SoxFest this year, but maybe next year....

Brian26
02-02-2009, 10:03 PM

I still think Soxfest is a lot of fun. I've always thought that the seminars are the best part, but I enjoy the garage sale and grabbing autographs too.

My experience is that you get as much out of it as you put into it. The weekend is a little stressful, but it's an oasis of fun I look forward to in the middle of a long winter every year.

I think the key is to go into the weekend with reasonable expectations. It's impossible to get every autograph and to see every seminar, so you have to manage a reasonable balance between the two. I always grab one item from the garage sale as a late Christmas present to myself. I try to catch as least two full seminars each day. I usually get there as early as possible to try to grab a big-name autograph in the morning and then go sit in the front for the seminars so I can see and hear what's going on.

And of course, with the autographs, the best part is to have a few moments of interaction with the players.

Overall, this was a really well-organized event by the organization...one of the best ones they've had in years.

One other note- Konerko has always been a class act at these events. He looks every single person in the eye when they meet him, he asks them where to sign if it's a ball or jersey, takes his time with the autograph, and then looks at them again as he gives it back.

Here are my best four autographs from the weekend:
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/White%20Sox%20Stuff/DSCN2215.jpg

ChiSoxGirl
02-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Well I kind of understand what Quentin is saying about the manager thing, I call BS on this one. Quentin has been a hot prospect for years and I can imagine he's been asked to sign on the SS for years and years even in the minor leagues. I heard the real story is he signed with a memorabilia company Friday night and it precludes him from signing on the SS from now on. It does look like however he'll do it if it's personalized.

I also agree with BainesHOF on most of his other points including the great seminar Friday night and the hilarious one with Moose and Roland Sunday afternoon. The really bad Konerko broken bats were marked down to $125 from $300 by Sunday and some of my friends were able to negotiate deals on some of the lesser jerseys.

on chisox.com they state that 9,000 people attended Soxfest

That is too cool!!!

Yes he was signing on the SS on Friday. He changed on Sat. and Sunday.

I went right away on Friday to hold seats for the Opening Ceremony, while two of my friends went for wristbands for Quentin's signing; when they came back, they held the seats and I ran up to the sixth floor for my wristband. Knowing he'd be a hot commodity for the rest of the weekend, I figured my best chance for a TCQ autograph would be Friday when SoxFest was closed to the public. He signed the baseball on the sweet spot for me, too. And I can't say enough how impressed I was with Carlos' extreme approachability and great interaction with the fans during his photo session.