PDA

View Full Version : October 26, 2005: Three years later

thomas35forever
10-26-2008, 01:14 AM
Happy anniversary, everyone! It's now three years to the date of the best moment in White Sox history! Plan on watching the World Series DVD today.:)

On October six-and-twenty, foom foom foom
Jermaine Dye drove in Willie Harris for the only run
It was in the eighth inning
Celebrations were beginning
Foom foom foom

Uribe threw to Paul Konerko for the final out
And then there was rejoicing
Our team praises we were voicing
Foom foom foom

JGarlandrules20
10-26-2008, 01:29 AM
Happy Day the Sox won the World Series! And 5 years for me on WSI, hah. :D:

I wrote this little summary a while back, but I feel like sharing it:

Once upon a time, there was a franchise known for it's most recent medocrity. They were constantly overshadowed by another team in town. It seemed they had it all on paper, but never showed it when playing the actual game. It was second place finish after second place finish. The determined general manager decided it was time for a shakeup and under the radar he went and made moves that filled in every hole this former trouble ridden team had. They were unstoppable the first half but every media outlet screamed fluke. Unphased by these accusations, the team played on. They stumbled a bit in the second half, but clicked right when they needed to and took home the biggest prize of them all, tying for the best post season run in recent baseball history. They were the team with no stars, just pitching and excecution. There were no Cy Youngs or batting champs. Just teammates working together to reach the same goal. They finally gave their city something to celebrate about after 88 years of nothings. Long live the 2005 Chicago White Sox.
The end. :smile:

doublem23
10-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Happy Anniversary, White Sox fans!

Let us relive that glorious, glorious day...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61100

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61107

ChiSoxGirl
10-26-2008, 02:14 AM
Happy Anniversary! I'm going to try and make time to watch the Game 4 DVD tomorrow. I watched the 7th & 9th innings of Game 2 the other night- I was feeling nostalgic. Let us toast the greatest day of our lives as Sox fans! :cheers:

palehozenychicty
10-26-2008, 10:25 AM
That was an unreal day. Not only did they win, but it's my brother's birthday. When it ended, I ran out to the street from this bar and just yelled at the top of my lungs. Unbelieveable feeling. :cool:

TornLabrum
10-26-2008, 10:36 AM
And herein lies the loser mentality of White Sox fans: celebrating the one World Series victory they've had in 91 years three years after the date instead of demanding a dynasty.

That said, aside from my marriage and the birth of my son, it was the greatest day in my life, and I'll always remember it...and be pissed off we haven't been able to follow up with another World Series appearance.

October26
10-26-2008, 10:42 AM
This is the only day of the year I update my signature. :cool:

It is a special day in our home as my husband and I celebrate twenty-two years of marriage today. :D:

This is also a very happy day for White sox fans as we remember the joyful occasion of the Sox winning the World Series. I have watched my World Series DVDs over and over and still do not get tired of watching the final out of the 2005 World Series!

As we celebrate today, let us hope that our White Sox bring home many more World Series trophies in the near future. As others have said, watching the White Sox win the World Series was the most incredible feeling.

Have a great day and Happy October 26th!

palehozenychicty
10-26-2008, 10:45 AM
And herein lies the loser mentality of White Sox fans: celebrating the one World Series victory they've had in 91 years three years after the date instead of demanding a dynasty.

That said, aside from my marriage and the birth of my son, it was the greatest day in my life, and I'll always remember it...and be pissed off we haven't been able to follow up with another World Series appearance.

To this day, I believe that if they had gotten into the postseason in 2006 that they would have won it all again. We'd be a preminent team for the decade. But alas.......

And old habits die hard. :D:

DumpJerry
10-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Let's not forget that we won not one, but two, World Series games three years ago today.

Next year!

voodoochile
10-26-2008, 11:23 AM

Why do the two items have to be mutually exclusive?

Can't we both celebrate past greatness and look forward to and expect/demand more greatness to come?

The Sox didn't miss making a serious run by much this year. They made the playoffs and a few more timely hits in the second game in Tampa and the series might have gone 5. With Buehrle on the hill at that point, anything could happen.

Yeah, it's just speculation, but add in the fact that the Sox are now younger and better than they were to start last season and things seem to be headed in the right way. A tweek or two this offseason and their is no reason to believe the Sox won't compete again next year.

I for one am not satisfied, but I'm still gonna' have fun remembering this day for a long long time. Even if we win 5 more, the first will always be special...

TommyJohn
10-26-2008, 11:39 AM

Can't we both celebrate past greatness and look forward to and expect/demand more greatness to come?

The Sox didn't miss making a serious run by much this year. They made the playoffs and a few more timely hits in the second game in Tampa and the series might have gone 5. With Buehrle on the hill at that point, anything could happen.

Yeah, it's just speculation, but add in the fact that the Sox are now younger and better than they were to start last season and things seem to be headed in the right way. A tweek or two this offseason and their is no reason to believe the Sox won't compete again next year.

I for one am not satisfied, but I'm still gonna' have fun remembering this day for a long long time. Even if we win 5 more, the first will always be special...

Exactly what I was going to say (well, something like it) before I saw your post VC. Are we becoming so twisted in our desire not to be like "Cub sheep" that we can't still celebrate what was certainly the greatest night of our lives as White Sox fans? Come on! I do want to see the White Sox win more World Series, but we can still celebrate the past and be proud of the 2005 White Sox without being labeled as having a "loser mentality."

GreenWoman3212
10-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I'll forever remember everything about that day and the next day.

cbone
10-26-2008, 11:46 AM
I watched the ALDS clinher and the ALCS clincher this morning. :gulp: I'll watch the Series games throughout the day today.

Something I missed until now. In the clincher agianst Boston. It's the top of the 6th and El Duque starts warming up. Berman mentions this and Sutcliffe replies with,

"I think more than anything, he's just getting some work in. To me his time for pitching in a game has past."

We all know what happened in the bottom of the 6th. :bandance::gulp:

Lip Man 1
10-26-2008, 01:46 PM
It was a wonderful night wasn't it? Something I'll remember the rest of my life.

Lip

cub killer
10-26-2008, 02:09 PM
The footage I have of that glorious day include the last innings of Game 3 (Blum's HR, Buerhle's save). Then morning news clips talking about red-eyed Sox fans who didn't sleep much the night before. On the Ch.9 midday news, they interviewed an overweight cub fan who said he stayed up the night before, rooting against us. Then he lamentably admits "they're gonna do it. They got a good team." Then a clip of Da Mare mentioning Game 3 in a news conference, then hopping into a limo to take a flight to Houston for game 4 that night. Then Joe Buck talking over South Side footage, saying if this could be the night.

Then Steve Lyons in Jimbo's interviewing a woman who said "triple A plays on the north side." Then Edward James Olmos introducing the Latin Legends team (I recall the Puffer's crowd yelling "o-ver-rated!" at A-Rod during that). Then the tight pitchers' duel between Freddy and Backe. Then Backe gets pulled early for Brad Lidge who gives up that base hit up the middle by JD.

Then the final out. Jerry saying "for many years I asked, 'Why did you get me into this?'". Clips of the crowds at Cork and Kerry's, the United Center, 115 Bourbon Street and the celebration on the field at Minute Maid Park.

Exactly 19 years and 9 months after the Bears' Super Bowl win. One of the greatest days of my life.

TDog
10-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Let's not forget that we won not one, but two, World Series games three years ago today.

Next year!

If the Phillies win tonight, before midnight, they would be the second team to win two World Series games in one day, and the second to win two World Series games on October 26.

I hope the White Sox win more World Series titles in my lifetime, but that wouldn't diminish the memory of listening to Jon Miller and Joe Morgan describe the final out three years ago.

raul12
10-26-2008, 02:28 PM
I watched the World Series DVD this morning. After it was done, my wife asked me if I had gotten my "fix", lol.

I still get choked up seeing the replay of Pods homerun in Game 2 and Uribe leaping into the stands in Game 4 (especially hearing Rooney's voice). Listening to that sends chills up my spine!

Here's to many more WS titles in my lifetime, but waiting my entire lifetime for the first will always make the first one special. :smile:

soxpride724
10-26-2008, 02:43 PM
I can't believe it has been three years since, it feels longer to me for some reason. Anyway heres to that special night three years ago.:gulp:

ChiSox89
10-26-2008, 02:52 PM
One of the most memorable days of my life. That day was unreal.

chisoxmike
10-26-2008, 02:52 PM
How about we win another one...

I have this fear the '05 Sox are turning into the '85 Bears.

goon
10-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Ahh, the triumphant 2005 Chicago White Sox, I feel blessed for watching that team play.

:happybday

goon
10-26-2008, 03:06 PM

That's kind of a rash prediction. I'd just like to make the playoffs every season.

chisoxmike
10-26-2008, 03:10 PM
That's kind of a rash prediction. I'd just like to make the playoffs every season.

You can't expect a team to win a championship every year. But it shouldn't be too much to think the Sox can consistently be a playoff team. That's what I want, then take our chances in the playoffs.

But the last thing I want is the Sox to be is a one and done champion that doesn't do **** for 20-30 years, but fans still take about the championship like it happened the last season.

ChiSoxGirl
10-26-2008, 06:37 PM
I just watched the last two innings of Game 4 (no time to watch the whole game) and despite the fact it's three years later, I was still brought to tears. :redface:

I want nothing more than to win another World Series, as I don't want 2005 to be the 1985 Super Bowl all over again, but I'm willing to bet another World Championship won't compare to that first one- that one will always be most special and the one people reflect on the most; it'd be so hard for that not to happen.

DumpJerry
10-26-2008, 06:42 PM
I want nothing more than to win another World Series, as I don't want 2005 to be the 1985 Super Bowl all over again, but I'm willing to bet another World Championship won't compare to that first one- that one will always be most special and the one people reflect on the most; it'd be so hard for that not to happen.
The only way another WS championship could eclipse the 2005 one is if we sweep the Cubs.

Yeah. The Cubs in the World Series. Almost as funny as the Cubs making the NLCS. Why, how about the Cubs winning even one game in the NLDS?

I guess 2005 will always be The One!

chisoxfanatic
10-26-2008, 06:47 PM
What a great culmination to the greatest season we all can ever remember for this team. I will never forget that day, it will always remain special.

Bon Anniversaire!

BleacherBandit
10-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Wow, I could just imagine a poster like they have of the 2005 celebration with everybody jumping on Bobby on the mound, only with Cubs players walking off the field, or something like that.

wxkid23
10-26-2008, 08:34 PM
I will never forget that. I will feel blessed forever that I was there in person to witness a World Championship I honestly thought I would never see.

ChiSoxGirl
10-26-2008, 09:46 PM
I will never forget that. I will feel blessed forever that I was there in person to witness a World Championship I honestly thought I would never see.

That had to be incredible! I was just saying the other day that I'm so glad I was the age I was (I'd just turned 26) when they won- old enough to celebrate out at a bar in style, yet young enough to not only remember it, but have more Sox World Championships in my future!

MeteorsSox4367
10-26-2008, 10:36 PM
My sister's wedding day. The births of my three nephews and one niece. My parents' 25th and 40th anniversary parties. My two best friends' three weddings. All of these are days I'll never forget.

As for the Sox winning it all three years ago today, I know it's only a game, but I'll still admit to standing there in front of my TV crying and screaming for joy because my favorite team won the World Series.

I'll remember that day forever. And if it isn't asking too much, I'd like a couple more World Series titles and a couple of Stanley Cups from the Hawks as well.

LongLiveFisk
10-26-2008, 10:51 PM
I've been thinking about it all day. I can't believe three years has passed. And I always thought I'd be satisfied just seeing them win it once in my lifetime but I have to say, now that it has happened, I really miss that excitement and I want to experience it again sometime.

Hopefully, sometime soon! :smile:

doublem23
10-26-2008, 11:04 PM

Complaining about a World Series title?

:o:

Now I've seen it all. Things would be much better if this was year 91.

ohthosechisox
10-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Happy anniversary, fellow Sox fans! :smile:

The World Series was one of those things that feels so long ago and yet so recent at the same time. I have good faith that it will happen again.

tacosalbarojas
10-26-2008, 11:18 PM
I celebrated by reading Roger Angell's season recap from the New Yorker that year. Although Rodg has lost a bit off his fastball, he is still required reading for the mature baseball fan. And although a lot of the article focused on other parts of the postseason - Pujols' HR off Lidge gets considerable space as do the Yankees, Mets and Red Sox. But Angell does give us our props, and there are certain details and the way he describes them that are wholly his unmistakeable style, and I enjoyed re-reading the article.

chisoxmike
10-26-2008, 11:36 PM

How so?

I want them to win more.

RadioheadRocks
10-26-2008, 11:45 PM

Now that we've won one in my lifetime, I see it as trying to eat just one potato chip. I'd love to see more, but I'm not going to demand a dynasty either. I'll just enjoy it when it happens again!

doublem23
10-26-2008, 11:46 PM
How so?

I want them to win more.

I want to win more, too, but that doesn't mean we can't cherish the 1 that we have right now.

TornLabrum
10-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Exactly what I was going to say (well, something like it) before I saw your post VC. Are we becoming so twisted in our desire not to be like "Cub sheep" that we can't still celebrate what was certainly the greatest night of our lives as White Sox fans? Come on! I do want to see the White Sox win more World Series, but we can still celebrate the past and be proud of the 2005 White Sox without being labeled as having a "loser mentality."

Celebrating the past in this case makes us exactly like the Cubs sheep. Why should we only have one anniversary to celebrate that any of us remember? As PHG is fond of saying, Sox fans hate losing. I'll carry that one step further for this Sox fan. I hate the celebration of what has been a once-in-a-lifetime event without the explicit demand for "more pie."

chisoxmike
10-26-2008, 11:47 PM
I want to win more, too, but that doesn't mean we can't cherish the 1 that we have right now.

I do.

I've always said if I could relive any day of my life, it would be the night the Sox won.

thomas35forever
10-27-2008, 12:01 AM
It is now 11:01 CDT and these words were spoken at that time.

JR: "Here's the 1-2 pitch to Palmeiro...a ground ball past Jenks up the middle of the infield. Uribe has it. He throws...OUT! OUT! A WHITE SOX WINNER, AND A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP! THE WHITE SOX HAVE WON THE WORLD SERIES, AND THEY'RE MOBBING EACH OTHER ON THE FIELD!"

EF: "This was a great ballgame tonight."

RadioheadRocks
10-27-2008, 12:12 AM

JR: "Here's the 1-2 pitch to Palmeiro...a ground ball past Jenks up the middle of the infield. Uribe has it. He throws...OUT! OUT! A WHITE SOX WINNER, AND A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP! THE WHITE SOX HAVE WON THE WORLD SERIES, AND THEY'RE MOBBING EACH OTHER ON THE FIELD!"

I have that as a ringtone, and I also have the bottle opener and pizza cutter. :bandance:

wxkid23
10-27-2008, 12:48 AM
That had to be incredible! I was just saying the other day that I'm so glad I was the age I was (I'd just turned 26) when they won- old enough to celebrate out at a bar in style, yet young enough to not only remember it, but have more Sox World Championships in my future!

It was surreal for sure. I was 19 at the time and my father was with me who was sure he would never see a WS winner after being a fan his whole life. I would love to see another 2 or 3 at least in my lifetime... :D:

HomeFish
10-27-2008, 02:04 AM
They could win 10 straight championships in the next 10 years, and none of them will mean as much to me as the one they won in 2005.

I was convinced that I would never see a White Sox World Championship in my lifetime. That's what made 2005 so magical for me. I'm sure it was the same for many of you, you're just less willing to admit it than I am.

RadioheadRocks
10-27-2008, 02:07 AM
I really wouldn't get so worked up over Cub fans telling us to "stop living in the past". The sheep are going to believe whatever they want to believe, and to this day many of them still go on and on about 1969, 1984, Bartman, etc.

Can you say "pot meet kettle"? I knew ya could!

cub killer
10-27-2008, 07:28 AM
I really wouldn't get so worked up over Cub fans telling us to "stop living in the past". The sheep are going to believe whatever they want to believe, and to this day many of them still go on and on about 1969, 1984, Bartman, etc.

Can you say "pot meet kettle"? I knew ya could!

I too, have to deal with flub fans saying "stop living in the past". One had the audacity to say "We're better because we look to the future, to next year, while you guys still think about the past." I can't believe the stupidity of those people. It's astounding.

Sometimes I wonder if my screen-name is inappropriate, but then I run into scrub fans like that and realize it isn't.

Hitmen77
10-27-2008, 09:41 AM

:o:

Now I've seen it all. Things would be much better if this was year 91.

My reaction exactly! Why can't we celebrate the 3 yr anniversary of the pinnacle event in White Sox history and still want more titles? I certainly feel like we can do both.

I love my fellow Sox fans, but sheesh, leave it to them to turn a thread celebrating the 3 yr anniversary of the World Series title into a gripefest about us having a loser mentality. Unbelieveable.

....and what's all this talk about us "becoming the '85 Bears"? Would the Sox and Bears be the only teams in American pro sports history to only win 1 title and not repeat within the same era? Face it folks, we're becoming just like most other championship teams who find that it is very tough to repeat. How many baseball teams in the last 20 years not named the Yankees or the Red Sox (with their enormous revenue streams and payrolls) have repeated as champs? I only count the Marlins and Blue Jays. I guess every other WS champ team are a bunch of losers. Why even bother rooting for a team? Anything short of TWO titles just smacks of loserdom.

Yes, I want to be like the Yankees and Red Sox. To do that, the Sox will need to build a better farm system. It's almost impossible to repeat without any minor leaguers stepping to fill in holes left by aging/injured/declining players. But at the same time I'm still going to happy that we're like the Angels, Diamondback, and Cardinals too. Anyone rather be like the Tigers who actually blew their best chance at a WS title? Or perhaps we should be like some of the elite MLB teams like the Dodgers and Mets who haven't won it in 20+ years. On the NFL side, I guess the '85 Bears are the ultimate losers. I never heard of the '96 Packers, the '99 Rams,.....and I guess it's never too early to throw the '06 Colts into that heap too.

Hitmen77
10-27-2008, 09:53 AM

That was a great moment. I seriously doubted I'd ever see a Sox WS title in my lifetime. It was a long journey from June 30, 1988 when I went to bed sure the Chicago White Sox were dead and moving to Florida to 10/26/05 when they were world champs.

It was an amazing 2 year turn around for my experience as a Sox fan living in this city. Only 24 months earlier, everyone we rubbing my face in the Cubs pennant ride (before the Bartman game). Everywhere I turned people were saying the Sox were irrelevant, will never ever compete, and that we should all get behind Chicago's only real baseball team. 2005 was sweet payback for all the crap I endured in '03....and actually all the crap I endured for just about my entire life as a Sox fan for that matter.

Here's to the '05 World Champs! :cool:

areilly
10-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Not to be too self-promotional but I posted a pair of goodies yesterday some of you might like:

Link (http://www.sox35th.com/index.php/223/your-2005-world-series-champion-chicago-white-sox)

doublem23
10-27-2008, 10:13 AM
They could win 10 straight championships in the next 10 years, and none of them will mean as much to me as the one they won in 2005.

I was convinced that I would never see a White Sox World Championship in my lifetime. That's what made 2005 so magical for me. I'm sure it was the same for many of you, you're just less willing to admit it than I am.

That's exactly how I feel, too.

russ99
10-27-2008, 12:02 PM
As amazing that night was, the parade was so much sweeter. Watching the Sox win the World Series in Houston was incredible, but having millions of us there celebrating with them on LaSalle (and putting to rest forever the notion that the Sox fanbase is small and insignificant) was much more memorable to me.

cub killer
10-31-2008, 05:32 AM
That was a great moment. I seriously doubted I'd ever see a Sox WS title in my lifetime. It was a long journey from June 30, 1988 when I went to bed sure the Chicago White Sox were dead and moving to Florida

Would you have remained a Sox fan if they moved to Florida? I would have. We'd still be able to follow the team by watching highlights on SportsCenter and we could still see them live when they'd play Milwaukee at County Stadium.

Iwritecode
10-31-2008, 10:31 AM
As amazing that night was, the parade was so much sweeter. Watching the Sox win the World Series in Houston was incredible, but having millions of us there celebrating with them on LaSalle (and putting to rest forever the notion that the Sox fanbase is small and insignificant) was much more memorable to me.

I still run into people to this day that claim "The Sox have no fans. They never show up to the ballpark."

I guess those millions of fans lining the streets for the parade were just figments of our imagination. :rolleyes:

SOXPHILE
10-31-2008, 10:40 AM
I still run into people to this day that claim "The Sox have no fans. They never show up to the ballpark."

I guess those millions of fans lining the streets for the parade were just figments of our imagination. :rolleyes:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2008-10/2565201-08112616.jpg "Those were mostly Cubs fans, who wanted to see what was going on and check out the parade."

jabrch
10-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Celebrating the past in this case makes us exactly like the Cubs sheep. Why should we only have one anniversary to celebrate that any of us remember? As PHG is fond of saying, Sox fans hate losing. I'll carry that one step further for this Sox fan. I hate the celebration of what has been a once-in-a-lifetime event without the explicit demand for "more pie."

Torn - why is celebrating our history parallel to not demanding more pie?

I don't get it. Am I misreading you?

Can't I cherish past greatness and look forward to future greatness? I will always cherish The 83 Sox, but that doesn't mean I didn't want 05 to happen.

I will always celebrate 05, regardless of what happened/happens in 06-08 or onward. I still celebrate 85, 83, 90-91 (BB), 92-93 (BB), 97-98 (BB), 92 (H), 05 (NCCAB), 89 (NCAAB), 08 (NCAAF), 84 (NCCAF), etc. as some of my favorite years/teams to watch. If that makes me a "sheep" in someone's eyes - I guess that's their perrogative. I could hardly give a crap.

The 2005 White Sox have been, in my lifetime, the most successful MLB team in this city. If anyone chooses to use that as a negative, they are welcome to do so - it is their right. I'm also entitled to think less of them for it.

palehozenychicty
10-31-2008, 10:56 AM
You can't expect a team to win a championship every year. But it shouldn't be too much to think the Sox can consistently be a playoff team. That's what I want, then take our chances in the playoffs.

But the last thing I want is the Sox to be is a one and done champion that doesn't do **** for 20-30 years, but fans still take about the championship like it happened the last season.

Indeed. The Sox should always be at or near the top of this division, as they have more resources than everyone except Detroit, who has an owner willing to spend.

Dan Mega
10-31-2008, 11:03 AM
While we're at it, can we have another appreciation thread for Aaron Rowand?

voodoochile
10-31-2008, 12:06 PM
While we're at it, can we have another appreciation thread for Aaron Rowand?

It must be so cool to be able to act all aloof and above everyone else like you do. I mean, how do you do manage to suck the life out of everything with your constant negativity and supreme hater attitude. I bet in HS you were all the rage.

How many years ago was that now? :rolleyes:

Dan Mega
10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
It must be so cool to be able to act all aloof and above everyone else like you do.

You mean like where I said the Sox "fans", or claimed the Sox fanbase as a whole was horrible, or said that I was entitled to look down upon people for sharing a different opinion than I did?

You sure that was me? Or was that your buddy from post #54?

Dan Mega
10-31-2008, 12:30 PM

I remember the headlines being "hundreds" and then someone being told to "get over it" by one of Trib's writers. Was that Mitchell?

TornLabrum
10-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Torn - why is celebrating our history parallel to not demanding more pie?

I don't get it. Am I misreading you?

Can't I cherish past greatness and look forward to future greatness? I will always cherish The 83 Sox, but that doesn't mean I didn't want 05 to happen.

I will always celebrate 05, regardless of what happened/happens in 06-08 or onward. I still celebrate 85, 83, 90-91 (BB), 92-93 (BB), 97-98 (BB), 92 (H), 05 (NCCAB), 89 (NCAAB), 08 (NCAAF), 84 (NCCAF), etc. as some of my favorite years/teams to watch. If that makes me a "sheep" in someone's eyes - I guess that's their perrogative. I could hardly give a crap.

The 2005 White Sox have been, in my lifetime, the most successful MLB team in this city. If anyone chooses to use that as a negative, they are welcome to do so - it is their right. I'm also entitled to think less of them for it.

Past greatness? One year. Are Yankees fans waxing nostalgic about their glorious 2000 season? **** no! Yankees fans may be *******s, but at least they have the good sense to demand nothing less than championship caliber baseball year in and year out. We celebrate the one championship we've had in 91 years as if it were some earth shattering event.

You can celebrate the near misses and the one bullseye all you want, but if you consider the history of the team, our record is more pathetic even than that of the Cubs, who at least made it to the World Series on numerous occasions between 1908 and 1945 while the Sox went forty years from 1919 to 1959 and then another 46 years until 2005 to even make it to the Series.

Think less of me if you want. I just cringe when I see our fans scrambling for superlatives about the one great team we've had in those 91 years since 1917, and the few teams between them that made it to the post season only to lose.

Of course it could be worse. We could have been the St. Louis Browns. Oh, wait. They moved to Baltimore and won a few World Series, didn't they? Okay, it could be worse. We could be the Cubs.

WhiteSoxOnly
11-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Past greatness? One year. Are Yankees fans waxing nostalgic about their glorious 2000 season? **** no! Yankees fans may be *******s, but at least they have the good sense to demand nothing less than championship caliber baseball year in and year out. We celebrate the one championship we've had in 91 years as if it were some earth shattering event.

You can celebrate the near misses and the one bullseye all you want, but if you consider the history of the team, our record is more pathetic even than that of the Cubs, who at least made it to the World Series on numerous occasions between 1908 and 1945 while the Sox went forty years from 1919 to 1959 and then another 46 years until 2005 to even make it to the Series.

Think less of me if you want. I just cringe when I see our fans scrambling for superlatives about the one great team we've had in those 91 years since 1917, and the few teams between them that made it to the post season only to lose.

Of course it could be worse. We could have been the St. Louis Browns. Oh, wait. They moved to Baltimore and won a few World Series, didn't they? Okay, it could be worse. We could be the Cubs.

Go ahead and pop that '05 dvd in there Hal,you'll feel much better.

TommyJohn
11-01-2008, 12:28 AM

Actually, go on nyyfans.com and you'll see threads in which Yankee fans wax nostalgic about their championship teams-one thread asked what everyone's favorite team was between 1996-2000. Why they even wax nostalgic about near-miss teams like the 1985 Yankees, who came close. I went on that thread and cracked wise that I thought that celebrating near-misses was the intellectual property of Chicago baseball fans. So they wax nostalgic, they just have more to choose from.

And since when the hell did marking the anniversary of a great moment in your life become such a terrible thing? I don't get it. It was a moment we'll all never forget. It doesn't mean we don't want more, and it doesn't mean we have a "loser" mentality. I just don't get where this is coming from. Do the White Sox have a great and glorious history? Nope. But why not celebrate the great moments in team history that mattered to us fans?

cub killer
11-01-2008, 05:22 AM
TornLabrum says that we're more pathetic than the flubs then he says it could be worse, we could be the flubs. Um, ok.

Anyway, we are not more pathetic than the scrubs. We have 3 championships. They have 2. That's all that matters. They may have had the tiebreaker before 2005, having more pennants than us. But not anymore. We are better than them.

And there is not a single member of this board who is content with just 2005 and doesn't care if we win another one. We all want more, it just stings alot less now when we don't do it because we have 2005 to fall back on. But anyone who says that anyone here has a "loser mentality" does not know the White Sox fanbase. The loser mentality is on the north side, not here.

TornLabrum
11-01-2008, 11:51 AM
TornLabrum says that we're more pathetic than the flubs then he says it could be worse, we could be the flubs. Um, ok.

Anyway, we are not more pathetic than the scrubs. We have 3 championships. They have 2. That's all that matters. They may have had the tiebreaker before 2005, having more pennants than us. But not anymore. We are better than them.

And there is not a single member of this board who is content with just 2005 and doesn't care if we win another one. We all want more, it just stings alot less now when we don't do it because we have 2005 to fall back on. But anyone who says that anyone here has a "loser mentality" does not know the White Sox fanbase. The loser mentality is on the north side, not here.

Wow, we have three championships since 1903 and they have two. That's worth ****ing celebrating. How many do the Yankees have?

My attitude always has been and always will be, "What have you done for me lately?" The answer is "Nothing for the past three years." Before that it was nothing for the past 46 years. Before that it was nothing for the past 42 years.

Wax nostalgic all you want. We have such a rich tradition of winning.

voodoochile
11-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Wow, we have three championships since 1903 and they have two. That's worth ****ing celebrating. How many do the Yankees have?

My attitude always has been and always will be, "What have you done for me lately?" The answer is "Nothing for the past three years." Before that it was nothing for the past 46 years. Before that it was nothing for the past 42 years.

Lip?

TL, I understand your points to an extent, but to treat this team like it's been a one year wonder seems extreme. For only the second time in team history, they made the playoffs twice in a 4 year span. Add in another 90 win season and it's hard to say they've done nothing unless you are truly willing to say, "it sucks unless we win it all". Want to try this year again with a healthy Contreras and TCQ down the stretch and for the playoffs? Just because they failed to win it all doesn't make the season a bust, IMO.

I really didn't expect to get past the first round the way we were playing at the end, but to fight as hard as they did and have some of the most memorable regular season moments in team history with the 3 must win games to make the playoffs shows how far this team has come from a decade ago.

Sox fans have a reason to be celebrating and hopeful with the changes in personnel and the recent successes and three playoff appearances in the last 9 years and two more just misses (I'll take that on a consistent basis). The team is revitalized. The team is a serious player for top talent and for playoff slots year in and year out and we've got a WS championship in our pocket for the first time in 9 decades.

Why wouldn't I be celebrating those facts?

RedPinStripes
11-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Not that 05 made it okay to lose now, but I'm not an angry Sox fan anymore. I didn't expect them to do much this year . They did more then I thought they would.

KW does a nice job with finding the "lost players" we'll say, but he's really screwed up this farm system. I might get a little frustrated if he adds more old power hitting slow guys.

Not sure what he has planned for 09. He don't have many cards to deal. He better figure out a way to build up the farm again.

To KW's credit, this team would have been in 4th place without Floyd, Danks, and Quentin.

Brian26
11-01-2008, 03:14 PM

Your attitude seems like a sure way to lead a miserable life.

My suggestion would be to enjoy 2005 as much as you can because it was a magical and perfect season, and stop worrying about what you cannot control in the past.

If the White Sox had won 30 straight World Series titles between 1920 and 1950, would it make 2005 any more or any less significant to the people who experienced the 2005 title run? The answer is no.

TornLabrum
11-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Lip?

TL, I understand your points to an extent, but to treat this team like it's been a one year wonder seems extreme. For only the second time in team history, they made the playoffs twice in a 4 year span. Add in another 90 win season and it's hard to say they've done nothing unless you are truly willing to say, "it sucks unless we win it all". Want to try this year again with a healthy Contreras and TCQ down the stretch and for the playoffs? Just because they failed to win it all doesn't make the season a bust, IMO.

I really didn't expect to get past the first round the way we were playing at the end, but to fight as hard as they did and have some of the most memorable regular season moments in team history with the 3 must win games to make the playoffs shows how far this team has come from a decade ago.

Sox fans have a reason to be celebrating and hopeful with the changes in personnel and the recent successes and three playoff appearances in the last 9 years and two more just misses (I'll take that on a consistent basis). The team is revitalized. The team is a serious player for top talent and for playoff slots year in and year out and we've got a WS championship in our pocket for the first time in 9 decades.

Why wouldn't I be celebrating those facts?

I'm much more optimistic about 2009 than I was about 2008. I'm hopeful that Floyd and Danks repeat their success of this year and build on it. I was close to stunned that we managed to hang on and win the division despite the losses of Crede and TCQ. This team showed real character.

On the other hand, the Sox fan of 53 years in me says that Thome is a year older, Dye is approaching the decline phase of his career, and Konerko is a head case. We still don't have a real centerfielder (and least one who can actually hit) or leadoff hitter. Still I have cause for hope.

The point is, I'm looking forward. What was it that Ditka said about those who look back at the past?

I guess my point is that it's pretty pathetic to have one event in MY lifetime to look back at and celebrate. I've been a Sox fan since 1955, and have one World Series championship to look back fondly on. Maybe the younger folks around here just don't comprehend that.

So let me put it another way. My father was born after the 1919 World Series ended. He died in 1995. It took the Sox another ten years after that to win a World Series. He did not see a White Sox championship in his entire life. During the time between Sox Series titles, the Yankees only did it 26 times. Twenty-six times! And we go ape**** over one three years after the fact!

May I say it's kind of like celebrating the one time in your life you had great sex. It really shouldn't be that rare an event.

TommyJohn
11-01-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm much more optimistic about 2009 than I was about 2008. I'm hopeful that Floyd and Danks repeat their success of this year and build on it. I was close to stunned that we managed to hang on and win the division despite the losses of Crede and TCQ. This team showed real character.

On the other hand, the Sox fan of 53 years in me says that Thome is a year older, Dye is approaching the decline phase of his career, and Konerko is a head case. We still don't have a real centerfielder (and least one who can actually hit) or leadoff hitter. Still I have cause for hope.

The point is, I'm looking forward. What was it that Ditka said about those who look back at the past?

I guess my point is that it's pretty pathetic to have one event in MY lifetime to look back at and celebrate. I've been a Sox fan since 1955, and have one World Series championship to look back fondly on. Maybe the younger folks around here just don't comprehend that.

So let me put it another way. My father was born after the 1919 World Series ended. He died in 1995. It took the Sox another ten years after that to win a World Series. He did not see a White Sox championship in his entire life. During the time between Sox Series titles, the Yankees only did it 26 times. Twenty-six times! And we go ape**** over one three years after the fact!

May I say it's kind of like celebrating the one time in your life you had great sex. It really shouldn't be that rare an event.

Ditka should talk. 1985 made him what he is today, and he has been living off of it ever since.

forte
11-01-2008, 04:36 PM

Wow, I really don't think thats very appropriate for this forum.

voodoochile
11-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Wow, I really don't think thats very appropriate for this forum.

Tell ya what, let the mods (of which TL is one) do the moderating, 'k?

Thanks...

RedPinStripes
11-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I saw that coming. :D:

Iwritecode
11-03-2008, 11:56 AM

I agree that it shouldn't be that rare an event but hey, nobody ever said life is fair. It was a great moment in our lives and we'll all remember it fondly until the day we die.

Until then, all we can do is hope the team provides us with another great moment. But we as fans have little to no power in "demanding" a good team every year. The best we can do is go to the ballpark everyday, spend our money and cheer for the players. Past that, it's up to the management and the team on the field.

Lundind1
11-03-2008, 12:29 PM
I do it for the beer on a hot summer night. I do it for a grilled kosher dog with onions. I do it for the sounds of the fans, the music, the fireworks. I do it because I am a White Sox fan.

I will celebrate that winner till the end of my days. It was such a great story scripted better than most of the pieces of garbage that come out of Hollywood today. My father has been around for a long time and the night after the World Series winner in 05 he told me to enjoy it as much as possible, as long as possible because it all goes so fast.

I tend to look forward in life, but that is one moment that I will look back and remember for the rest of my life. I say have it both. Look back with fond memories and keep your eyes sharp to build for the next one.

Anyway, with all the trades and the players that we had that year, how many people actually believed we could win it all. I remember going to a game in July that year where we were ahead in the division by some ungodly amount and there were still only 18,000 at the most at the game. After the disappointments of many years past, you couldn't believe it....a winner. So lets enjoy this and do our part as fans so the champaign tastes sweeter with the next winner.