PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Nite last night on TCM

soxfan21
10-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Don't know if anyone caught it, but i was kinda bored and was channel surfing last night when I saw that eight men out was airing on Turner Classic Movies. I watched it for a while til it ended then the guy that talks between movies noted that another white sox movie would be on next called The Stratton Story, about Monty Stratton and starring jimmy stewart. I know that this was well before my time, but it was cool to see Old Comiskey in the movie and all of the old white sox uniforms of that time. Jimmy Dykes also had a small part in the movie, and thought that it was cool to see how he acted and talked rather than reading about it in books.

LITTLE NELL
10-25-2008, 03:56 PM
A real bummer what happenned to Stratton. I often wonder how many games he would have won had it not been for the gun accident. Also how many pennants the Sox could have won if not for the 1919 scandal.

PatK
10-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Amazing that the man was able to come back and pitch pro ball again, even if it was the minors

Frankfan4life
10-25-2008, 06:01 PM
What!!! No Field of Dreams????

RadioheadRocks
10-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Don't know if anyone caught it, but i was kinda bored and was channel surfing last night when I saw that eight men out was airing on Turner Classic Movies. I watched it for a while til it ended then the guy that talks between movies noted that another white sox movie would be on next called The Stratton Story, about Monty Stratton and starring jimmy stewart. I know that this was well before my time, but it was cool to see Old Comiskey in the movie and all of the old white sox uniforms of that time. Jimmy Dykes also had a small part in the movie, and thought that it was cool to see how he acted and talked rather than reading about it in books.

I have this on DVD... great movie, you might have to do some searching for it but it's well worth it.

Lip Man 1
10-25-2008, 11:58 PM
November 27, 1938 - Sox star pitcher Monty Stratton, an American League All Star in 1937 and one of the best young players in the game, accidentally shoots himself in the leg when his .32 caliber pistol discharges when he was replacing it in his holster. Stratton had been out hunting. Unable to get help, he crawled a half mile to a road leading into Greenville, Texas. The bullet pierced a femoral artery which stopped circulation to the limb and it had to be amputated. His four year career was ended. He eventually came back to play in a few minor league games using a wooden leg. In 1948 Hollywood made ‘The Stratton Story,’ starring Jimmy Stewart, June Allyson and former Sox manager Jimmy Dykes.

Lip

Brian26
10-26-2008, 12:24 AM
The White Sox seem to have an epic history in regards to off-the-field injuries. Carlos May blew his thumb off with a mortar in the Marine Reserves. Monty Stratton shot himself in a freak hunting accident. My all-time favorite is Bill Melton missing the end of the '72 season and possibly costing the Sox the pennant because he fell off his garage.

thomas35forever
10-26-2008, 12:48 AM
I'd never heard of Monty Stratton until last night. I would've watched it if there was nothing else on TV.

nasox
10-26-2008, 03:23 AM
The White Sox seem to have an epic history in regards to off-the-field injuries. Carlos May blew his thumb off with a mortar in the Marine Reserves. Monty Stratton shot himself in a freak hunting accident. My all-time favorite is Bill Melton missing the end of the '72 season and possibly costing the Sox the pennant because he fell off his garage.

Yeah, and TCQ had a freak, albeit on the field, accident this year.

But we never had a slugger strain his back by sneezing.

Lip Man 1
10-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Melton actually fell off his garage roof the previous November trying to get his son down. He tried playing through the pain in the spring and in the early part of the season but it kept getting worse and worse so he was finally shut down in June.

Bizarre injuries also badly hurt the Sox chances in a few other seasons, seasons where you could make the case that they cost the Sox a shot at a pennant...I'm referring to injuries to guys like Dick Donovan, Sherm Lollar, Joe Cunningham, Johnny Buzhardt and basically the entire team in 1973 after Memorial Day.

Lip

TommyJohn
10-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Melton actually fell off his garage roof the previous November trying to get his son down. He tried playing through the pain in the spring and in the early part of the season but it kept getting worse and worse so he was finally shut down in June.

Bizarre injuries also badly hurt the Sox chances in a few other seasons, seasons where you could make the case that they cost the Sox a shot at a pennant...I'm referring to injuries to guys like Dick Donovan, Sherm Lollar, Joe Cunningham, Johnny Buzhardt and basically the entire team in 1973 after Memorial Day.

Lip

One 1973 injury takes the cake-Brian Downing injuring his knee making his first major league play in his first major league inning.

Also, for those who love seeing the Sox and Comiskey Park of that era-Comiskey Park can also be seen in "The Pride of the Yankees." (The way they show it is false-as the park where Lou Gehrig begins his 2,130 game streak).

Lip Man 1
10-26-2008, 08:06 PM
TJ:

Here you go:

May 31, 1973 - It was an inauspicious debut for a player whod make himself into a fine big league hitter. In a game at Chicago, Brian Downing had just entered the game in the 7th inning making his major league debut. On his first play in the big leagues, Downing caught a foul pop off the bat of the Tigers Dick McAuliffe, diving to make the catch. On the catch though hed tear up his knee and have to be placed on the disabled list. Downing would collect his first big league hit in August, an inside the park home run.

Lip