PDA

View Full Version : Rays impressed by the blackout

doublem23
10-25-2008, 10:04 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-25-series-briteoct25,0,3733641.story

soxgirl617
10-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Love it! I thought the blackouts were all great (was at all three), but it's great to hear that the other team was a bit intimidated.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-25-2008, 04:41 PM
By next year, I bet half the teams do something like this.

Frankfan4life
10-25-2008, 04:47 PM
The blackout was awesome and should have gotten more press in Chicago than it did. Sox fans were the best playoff fans in Chicago and arguably the best in the playoffs. We never booed our team (with the exception of Javy and I thought that was disgusting) and never got down and walked out even when it was pretty obvious we were going to lose the game.

DrCrawdad
10-25-2008, 04:48 PM
In the article Maddon commended the Sox and Sox fans. How'd that get past the Cubune editors?

chaerulez
10-25-2008, 04:50 PM
The blackout was awesome and should have gotten more press in Chicago than it did. Sox fans were the best playoff fans in Chicago and arguably the best in the playoffs. We never booed our team (with the exception of Javy and I thought that was disgusting) and never got down and walked out even when it was pretty obvious we were going to lose the game.

With the money Javy gets paid, I think he should be able to handle a little booing.

Especially after the comments about how at the end of his career he'll just go home to Puerto Rico and still be the same guy. That didn't sit well with fans. I understand that the game doesn't mean the same way to most players as it does to the die hard fans. And it shouldn't, they should approach this as a job. However, Javy should know those type of comments, fans aren't going to like hearing that.

Frankfan4life
10-25-2008, 05:53 PM
With the money Javy gets paid, I think he should be able to handle a little booing.

Especially after the comments about how at the end of his career he'll just go home to Puerto Rico and still be the same guy. That didn't sit well with fans. I understand that the game doesn't mean the same way to most players as it does to the die hard fans. And it shouldn't, they should approach this as a job. However, Javy should know those type of comments, fans aren't going to like hearing that.I understood why Javy was booed but I think that when you're on a national stage, it's important to show support for your team. Sometimes things like booing can have a lasting negative impression.

soltrain21
10-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I understood why Javy was booed but I think that when you're on a national stage, it's important to show support for your team. Sometimes things like booing can have a lasting negative impression.

Why is it important to support your team on a national stage? If you suck you will probably get booed. I think it's more ridiculous when a pitcher gives up four or five runs but still gets a standing O as he gets yanked.

I don't think clapping for a ****ty performance will make the "national audience" think we are good fans.

Jurr
10-25-2008, 10:19 PM
That Sunday crowd was absolutely AWESOME. It was one of the most electric crowds I've ever been a part of. I miss baseball.

Nellie_Fox
10-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Why is it important to support your team on a national stage? If you suck you will probably get booed. I think it's more ridiculous when a pitcher gives up four or five runs but still gets a standing O as he gets yanked.

I don't think clapping for a ****ty performance will make the "national audience" think we are good fans.Why is everything "all or nothing" to so many internet posters? You don't have to boo or cheer when a pitcher is removed. I think a little "thundering silence" can say a lot more than boos.

nasox
10-26-2008, 03:21 AM
So booing Gandhi during the 03 All Star game was wrong? If anything, it just affirmed how passionate we are about the sox.

decolores9628
10-26-2008, 04:36 AM
I was only at one blackout game (the playoff game we won) and its good to see that it rattled the opposing team, especially garza since he beasted the BoSox in the ALCS. I'm glad that we got to him and not that Boston crowed.

As for the Javy booing, i just didnt clap for him. I figured that I didn't really want to boo him because he is still part of the team, but I sure as hell didn't want to cheer for him either.

goon
10-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Why is everything "all or nothing" to so many internet posters? You don't have to boo or cheer when a pitcher is removed. I think a little "thundering silence" can say a lot more than boos.

Yep, that is the reaction I have in those situations, it gets the point across as well.

CubKilla
10-27-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't think clapping for a ****ty performance will make the "national audience" think we are good fans.

And you'd come off as a tool

chisoxfanatic
10-27-2008, 07:00 PM
That Sunday crowd was absolutely AWESOME. It was one of the most electric crowds I've ever been a part of. I miss baseball.
That was indeed an awesome and electric crowd; but, I personally think the original black-out (the tie-breaker with the Twins) was the most electric crowd of the season. I hadn't heard Comiskey as loud as when Brian Anderson made that final diving catch to clinch the final playoff spot since the 2005 ALCS.

GoGoCrede
10-27-2008, 07:18 PM
That was indeed an awesome and electric crowd; but, I personally think the original black-out (the tie-breaker with the Twins) was the most electric crowd of the season. I hadn't heard Comiskey as loud as when Brian Anderson made that final diving catch to clinch the final playoff spot since the 2005 ALCS.

I agree, and I almost think that AJ throwing out Cuddyer at home was even louder than Thome's home run.

The blackout was awesome because it was all hardcore fans, too, who didn't get to see their team clinch in 2005.

Palehose Pete
10-28-2008, 02:28 PM

I thought that I heard one of the announcers on Monday Night Football say that the Titans handed out blue t-shirts to each fan to wear during the game under a promotion called "Code Blue."

I guess that takes that idea away from the Cubs!

hi im skot
10-28-2008, 02:57 PM

Well, it's not like the Sox invented it...

:shrug:

spawn
10-28-2008, 03:09 PM
I agree, and I almost think that AJ throwing out Cuddyer at home was even louder than Thome's home run.

I didn't know AJ played in the outfield.

esbrechtel
10-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I love when people split hairs just to irritate other people :redneck

guillensdisciple
10-28-2008, 04:44 PM
We are the most passionate fans in baseball, and the "blackout" is proof of that.

Anyone who tried this is always going to be second to the White Sox.

GoGoCrede
10-28-2008, 05:30 PM
I didn't know AJ played in the outfield.

Griffey made the throw, AJ tagged him out. :redneck It was a great play, I should've given Junior his props.