PDA

View Full Version : Cubs fans switching sides

ChiSox89
10-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Ever since the Cubs lastest collapse, i have about 3 or 4 friends of the family switching side, saying they were done with the Cubs. One cubs fan live in virginia and is becoming a orioles fan or nationals fan and another one is becoming a white sox fan. he burned all his cubs stuff and bought sox gear. we were over at a cubs fan house and the husband and cubs turned sox fan got into an argument because husband was saying the cubs have the best team and why give up now. they are right there. but the ex cubs fan can't stand it anymore. what side would you be on, give up or just wait they have a good team and do you know any cubs fans who are giving up on thier team.

WhiteSox5187
10-25-2008, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't be on either side as I am not now, and never shall be, a Cubs fan.

StillMissOzzie
10-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Ever since the Cubs lastest collapse, i have about 3 or 4 friends of the family switching side, saying they were done with the Cubs. One cubs fan live in virginia and is becoming a orioles fan or nationals fan and another one is becoming a white sox fan. he burned all his cubs stuff and bought sox gear. we were over at a cubs fan house and the husband and cubs turned sox fan got into an argument because husband was saying the cubs have the best team and why give up now. they are right there. but the ex cubs fan can't stand it anymore. what side would you be on, give up or just wait they have a good team and do you know any cubs fans who are giving up on thier team.

I have heard the hollow threats and empty promises before. They'll be back. They always come back. It's like a virus in their DNA.

SMO
:gulp:

guillensdisciple
10-25-2008, 02:38 AM
I have heard the hollow threats and empty promises before. They'll be back. They always come back. It's like a virus in their DNA.

SMO

My cousins did the same thing, they are Cubs fans and were going on and on throughout the year about the Cubs and their great season. As soon as they saw what was happening in the playoffs they began saying that they were rooting for the Sox and the Cubs were too pathetic to root for.

When they do well next year they will be back, and shoving it in my face more then ever if they do well again. Honestly, I want them to get into the playoffs so I can see that again.

RadioheadRocks
10-25-2008, 02:53 AM

SMO

... or like the annoying ******* customer who bitches about every little thing, causes nothing but problems and always threatens to NEVER shop in your store again. Of course they NEVER keep their promise and ALWAYS come back, only to cause more problems.

4 points
10-25-2008, 04:01 AM

If the situation was reversed, would you abandon the Sox? There`s your answer.:gulp:

alohafri
10-25-2008, 09:22 AM
A girl I work with was a casual cub fan. After the sweep, she threw away her office cub flag and bought a Sox flag.

getonbckthr
10-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Then when they sign Manny or someone else they will all return.

Marqhead
10-25-2008, 10:55 AM
My Uncle was on the fence for many years, mostly rooting for Chicago in general. He successfully made the switch over to 100% White Sox several years ago and hasn't looked back.

I think it helped that me, my Dad, my Grandfather, and my Uncle's son are all hardcore Sox fans.

Railsplitter
10-25-2008, 11:01 AM
My brother's BFF started as a Cubs fan, but has now been enlightened and is a Sox fan.

Jurr
10-25-2008, 12:19 PM
A girl I work with was a casual cub fan. After the sweep, she threw away her office cub flag and bought a Sox flag.
Well, you just answered the whole issue. A great deal of Cubs fans are casual fans. I know a good number of die-hard Cubs fans, and I have nothing but respect for them. They might as well have Sox jerseys on - they are into every pitch, know the history, and live and die by all 162 (or the current trend of 165) games on the schedule.

However, most people that pack the stadium and wear Cubs gear are there for the social aspect, and that's what becomes terribly irritating. Those are the "fans" that will be the first to get mouthy to a Sox fan when things are going well in Wrigleyville. It's typically not your diehards.

If you're a REAL baseball fan, you can't dump your team. You commit SO much time and money to following and supporting the franchise. Games become the background music to your life from April to October. Anybody who claims that they're leaving the Cubs fandom isn't much of a baseball fan to begin with.

LITTLE NELL
10-25-2008, 02:10 PM
As a die hard Sox fan I would never give up my allegience to them, the Sox are like family and country. I'm sure there are Cubs that feel the same way. These Cub fans who are switching are not what you would call hard core and if the Cubs were to win a WS they would be back to wearing Cubbie blue.

voodoochile
10-25-2008, 02:20 PM

SMO

I am living proof that that isn't true. Of course when I switched neither team had made the playoffs in my lifetime.

whitesox901
10-25-2008, 02:32 PM
I was a switcher, Was A Cubs fan untill I was 13, in late 2003 my mom bought me a White Sox shirt, I went along with it

guillensdisciple
10-25-2008, 03:04 PM
When I came to America I was a fan of both and always was. Loved the Sammy Sosa era, loved Albert Belle on the Sox, loved and hated the early Jerry Manuel and later Jerry Manuel days. However during the '03 year, when the Cubs made that run, my high school had imploded with Cubs fans. I am talking the, we are the best and Sox suck type, from then I couldn't take it. I hated their character and their attitude so I put my allegiance into the White Sox since then and have not been pitiful to ANY Cubs fan. Loyal or not, I have lost all respect I used to have for that franchise, and enjoy each loss incurred. Yes, it makes me an *******, but after hearing and seeing their disrespect towards the White Sox, I believe they get every little thing they deserve.

PatK
10-25-2008, 04:56 PM
My Uncle was on the fence for many years, mostly rooting for Chicago in general. He successfully made the switch over to 100% White Sox several years ago and hasn't looked back.

I think it helped that me, my Dad, my Grandfather, and my Uncle's son are all hardcore Sox fans.

I was like that when I was younger- rooted for both, went to both team's games.

I kind of got sick of the carnival and frat-boy atmosphere, and the fact that the Cubs never won. I watched baseball for the baseball, and went to baseball games for the baseball. At Cubs games, that wasn't the point. People didn't seem to care if they one or lost- it became secondary to having a good time.

grv1974
10-25-2008, 05:13 PM

Repeat after me: Capitalization is our friend.

guillen4life13
10-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Repeat after me: Capitalization is our friend.

TBQH, the internet killed capitalization about fifteen years ago. Punctuation is much more important. I say this as someone who almost always uses capitals to being a sentence and uses punctuation where necessary.

I'm not in the Chicago area anymore but from the way ESPN covered the aftermath of the Cubs sweep, it seems like people are jumping off that bandwagon. That said, I hope it's the die-hard Cubs fans jumping off instead of the casuals because the casuals piss me off and I'd rather they stay Cubs fans and don't bring the bad reputation to Bridgeport.

whitesoxwilkes
10-25-2008, 08:15 PM
I am living proof that that isn't true. Of course when I switched neither team had made the playoffs in my lifetime.

Me too. I made the switch at the turn of the century.

turners56
10-25-2008, 09:59 PM
I tried to convert during the very early years of my fanhood, especially 2003. But I could never do it. I will be a Sox fan forever. It just didn't feel right to root for anybody but the Sox.

And on this Cubs fans turning into Sox fan thing, most of them will go back to the same old same old if the Cubs make it into the playoffs. People are like that.

cub killer
10-26-2008, 09:01 AM
I think we should welcome all the new converts and make sure they never switch back.

PatK
10-26-2008, 11:19 AM
I think we should welcome all the new converts and make sure they never switch back.

I know when I actually get them to the park (after criticizing it without having been there), a lot of them seem to be won over by the tailgating before they even get in the park.

And once they are in, they realize what a dump "The Shrine" is.

jabrch
10-26-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm a Sox fan - through and through....but for my friends who are real good true Cubs fans, I am ok with the Cubs winning as long as we aren't the victim in question.

turners56
10-26-2008, 01:53 PM
When I came to America I was a fan of both and always was. Loved the Sammy Sosa era, loved Albert Belle on the Sox, loved and hated the early Jerry Manuel and later Jerry Manuel days. However during the '03 year, when the Cubs made that run, my high school had imploded with Cubs fans. I am talking the, we are the best and Sox suck type, from then I couldn't take it. I hated their character and their attitude so I put my allegiance into the White Sox since then and have not been pitiful to ANY Cubs fan. Loyal or not, I have lost all respect I used to have for that franchise, and enjoy each loss incurred. Yes, it makes me an *******, but after hearing and seeing their disrespect towards the White Sox, I believe they get every little thing they deserve.

That's kind of what happened to me. I never really liked the Cubs ever though. What little respect I had for the North Side team dissipated in 2003.

BleacherBandit
10-26-2008, 03:39 PM
I have to admit: I've been to one Cubs game, when I was 5. I didn't really know anything about baseball, besides the fact that my favorite color was blue and that the Cubs use blue as their primary color. My mother bought me a Cubs hat at that game. I own a Cubs hat.

My father, who is from Iowa, wasn't a Cubs fan or a Sox fan, but a Twins fan. I know, it's ridiculous, but either way, he took me to both Sox games and that one Cubs game. I was a 'Cubs fan' (In parenthesis, because you're really not a actual fan of the game when you're 5,6,7 years old) until 1995. I've been a Sox fan ever since Ray Durham started playing.

SOXPHILE
10-26-2008, 06:11 PM
As soon as the Cubs string together 2 or 3 victories in April, those same people will be the ones holding up the WE BELIEVE, the IT'S GONNA HAPPEN, THIS IS THE YEAR, and HUNT FOR BLUE OCTOBER signs, while others confidently start waving the W flag and discussing possible playoff rotations after a tense, suspense filled 6-4 victory over the Pirates on a chilly April afternoon.

soxpride724
10-26-2008, 07:12 PM
The only "Cub" fans that will be switching sides are the casual fans that were on our bandwagon in 2005. These "fans" are just that,casual.

Hey if it drives up some ticket sales next year, why not? I have no problem with it.

Hitmen77
10-26-2008, 11:53 PM
I have never met any real Cub fans who would switch sides. Now those Johnny-come-latelys who moved to Chicago a few years ago, got a place in Lakeview, and became "big time Cub fans"?......yeah, I could see those clowns jumping sides.

The only good examples of switching sides I know of are similar to what some posters are saying here....people who used to like the Cubs when they were kids or used to liked both teams and decided to ditch one team for the other.

Speaking of switching sides, after the White Flag Trade in '97 the Trib ran an article in its sports section interviewing a bunch of "lifelong" Sox fans who had given up on the team in recent years and were now rooting for the Cubs. I wonder how many of those fools came crawling back in 2005?

chisoxfanatic
10-27-2008, 12:21 AM
I'd never even think of switching sides. My team always has been, is, and will always be the White Sox. I have no desire to back the team whose fandom seems to go against anything I'd want in a fanbase. I just wish people wouldn't have so many orgasms over them when they never come through. It's sickening.

esbrechtel
10-27-2008, 10:43 AM
That's kind of what happened to me. I never really liked the Cubs ever though. What little respect I had for the North Side team dissipated in 2003.

I never hated the cubs. To be honest I was a sox fan because when I was in grade school I wasn't allowed to watch TV until my homework was done. The Sox were on at night and I could watch them after dinner. I loved baseball and soon began loving the sox. It also helped that in 1993 they won the AL west (I was 9) and Bo Jackson, Frank Thomas and Robin Ventura were so cool :D:. I went to a few Sox games a year and maybe 1 Cub game.

I was a freshman in College in 2003 when the cubs made their magical run. I remember how awful I was treated by cub fans. My bitterness towards them started to grow.

Fast forward to 2005. As the sox entered the playoffs all my cub fan friends started giving me crap that they were going to get swept just like they did in 2000. As the sox continued to mow over the competition these Cubbie faithful told me the sox were just cheating and I should not be happy about the win in game 2. I just ignored their jeers as the sox continued to win. All I remember is how they tried to ruin the entire 2005 experience for me.

I still do not "hate" the cubs team....Some of the players I do dislike (Soriano, Aramas) but I would hate them even if they played on the sox....I do, however, hate the cub fans that claim that all Sox fans care about is the Cubs and not how well their team is doing. In all reality there is a rivalry and there are fans of both teams that care about what happens to the opposition. I also hate the media lovefest that happens every baseball season.

Sorry for the long post :redface:

cub killer
10-27-2008, 11:11 AM
I never hated the cubs. To be honest I was a sox fan because when I was in grade school I wasn't allowed to watch TV until my homework was done. The Sox were on at night and I could watch them after dinner. I loved baseball and soon began loving the sox. It also helped that in 1993 they won the AL west (I was 9) and Bo Jackson, Frank Thomas and Robin Ventura were so cool :D:. I went to a few Sox games a year and maybe 1 Cub game.

I was a freshman in College in 2003 when the cubs made their magical run. I remember how awful I was treated by cub fans. My bitterness towards them started to grow.

Fast forward to 2005. As the sox entered the playoffs all my cub fan friends started giving me crap that they were going to get swept just like they did in 2000. As the sox continued to mow over the competition these Cubbie faithful told me the sox were just cheating and I should not be happy about the win in game 2. I just ignored their jeers as the sox continued to win. All I remember is how they tried to ruin the entire 2005 experience for me.

I still do not "hate" the cubs team....Some of the players I do dislike (Soriano, Aramas) but I would hate them even if they played on the sox....I do, however, hate the cub fans that claim that all Sox fans care about is the scrubs and not how well their team is doing. In all reality there is a rivalry and there are fans of both teams that care about what happens to the opposition. I also hate the media lovefest that happens every baseball season.

Sorry for the long post :redface:

It's sickening how they acted (and still act) in 2005. Nothing but jealousy and I hope you rubbed it in to them good when we won it all. As far as the myth that Sox fans hate them more than they hate us, nothing can be further from the truth.

Here's a thread that's only 1 example of the constant hatred that goes on in flub forums. They say things in there that would get us banned in here. It's absolutely disgusting on so many levels.

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=26023

Smokey Burg
10-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Cubkiller, I read through some of that post and it truly made me sad. I have completely underestimated the amount of venom cub fans have for the Sox.

When MLB went on strike during the summer of 1994 I found other things to be concerned about besides baseball. When baseball came back in 1995 I wasn't willing to commit to either team. The history of both teams since 1901 is pretty pathetic, so why should I place my loyalty to either bunch of under-performers? I told myself I'll become a fan of the first Chicago team that wins a WS.

Plus, it appeared to me that there have only been two times during my lifetime that cubs management was intent on putting a winning product on the field, those times being the mid to late 80's when Dallas Green, Jim Frey and Don Zimmer were in charge and recently, since 2003. Why pay attention to an organization that puts nine schmucks on the field and hopes that the drunken fans pay more attention to the party atmosphere in the bleachers than to the action on the field.

Also, my last trip to Wrigley Field (1997) was so unpleasant that I could not go back again. Concesion food was terrible, the concourses smelled like urinals, and the drunken, ******* trendy fans had taken over the place even at that time. It was a truly disgusting experience. I will never go back.

FielderJones
10-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Cubkiller, I read through some of that post and it truly made me sad. I have completely underestimated the amount of venom cub fans have for the Sox.

It's nothing new. Growing up in the 1960s I was a Sox fan that didn't even care one way or another what happened to the Cubs. I really never payed attention to them. That changed a lot during the summer of 1969 as Cubs fans became cocky about their "championship" and talked trash about the Sox. Then September came. Payback is a bitch. :wink:

chisoxfanatic
10-27-2008, 07:18 PM
I was a Senior down at ISU during that "magical" run, and I still kept wearing my Sox gear during October. I remember times where I'd be wearing my Sox gear, and then I'd see Cubs fans either hanging out on the quad or by their apartments yelling out, "White Sox suck!" and booing me until I wasn't within earshot anymore. It still didn't stop me from wearing my Sox gear. I wore my Frank Thomas jersey and a Sox hat to classes the day after they were eliminated by the Marlins, but still didn't say anything.

Lundind1
10-28-2008, 11:35 AM
It's sickening how they acted (and still act) in 2005. Nothing but jealousy and I hope you rubbed it in to them good when we won it all. As far as the myth that Sox fans hate them more than they hate us, nothing can be further from the truth.

Here's a thread that's only 1 example of the constant hatred that goes on in flub forums. They say things in there that would get us banned in here. It's absolutely disgusting on so many levels.

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=26023

It is interesting to read all those "nasty" little comments about "us". LOL. You notice how that thread got real quiet after the last post on October 26th, 2005 at 8:45 am. That is fine. They can talk their talk and I will laugh at them, just like the rest of America.

guillensdisciple
10-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Honestly, I just don't want to see that W flag again. I can't really fly the Sox flag except on my car, since my parents are cubs fans.

I expect a loss less of it next year.

rdwj
10-28-2008, 05:05 PM
My brother's BFF started as a Cubs fan, but has now been enlightened and is a Sox fan.

I was under the impression that only pre-teen girls had BFFs.

Frankfan4life
11-07-2008, 03:11 AM
I was a switcher, Was A Cubs fan untill I was 13, in late 2003 my mom bought me a White Sox shirt, I went along with itI also switched -- twice!!! I was born and raised a Sox fan and became a cubsfan for at least 5 years. I couldn't stand their losing tradition and shortly after 1969 I came back to the Sox for good.

Some people can and do switch teams.

FireMariotti
11-07-2008, 03:47 AM
This post is directed at older (WISER!) Sox fans than I.

I usually don't bother with these Cub threads because, frankly, I don't give two thoughts to the second team in town. My White Sox have always been my team, and I have little interest in what happens north of 35th and Shields. I'm 21, and my first-hand knowledge of the White Sox extends only as far back as the Thomas/Ventura era. My first memories as a baseball fan were 1993 and the strike that followed.

Growing up, I understood that Chicago was home to two baseball teams. However, I never really understood the rivalry between the two. Both played in separate leagues, and (before 1997) they only competed against each other in the exhibition crosstown classic. With the inception of interleague play, the Cubs/Sox rivalry has become a big deal. Now, people talk about the Sox and Cubs like they have been arch rivals for decades.

I ask, has the crosstown rivalry always been this fierce, or has interleague play created this stark division between the two fanbases?

Thome25
11-07-2008, 08:51 AM
This post is directed at older (WISER!) Sox fans than I.

I usually don't bother with these Cub threads because, frankly, I don't give two thoughts to the second team in town. My White Sox have always been my team, and I have little interest in what happens north of 35th and Shields. I'm 21, and my first-hand knowledge of the White Sox extends only as far back as the Thomas/Ventura era. My first memories as a baseball fan were 1993 and the strike that followed.

Growing up, I understood that Chicago was home to two baseball teams. However, I never really understood the rivalry between the two. Both played in separate leagues, and (before 1997) they only competed against each other in the exhibition crosstown classic. With the inception of interleague play, the Cubs/Sox rivalry has become a big deal. Now, people talk about the Sox and Cubs like they have been arch rivals for decades.

I ask, has the crosstown rivalry always been this fierce, or has interleague play created this stark division between the two fanbases?

I'd have to say that the rivalry IMO was MORE fierce before interleague play. The fact that the fanbases hated (and still hate.) each other and couldn't settle things on the field made it more so.

Interleague play has dulled the rivalry somewhat and made it more boring.

SOXPHILE
11-07-2008, 10:19 AM
From my experiences, it was always a rivalry, but it seemed to get really nasty in 1984 and since, as the new breed of "Cubs Game Fans" suddenly had this idiotic, misplaced sense of arrogance and entitlement. It dulled a bit for me for the next year + after the Sox won the series in '05. There was nothing for the cub fans to say, the argument was over. But now, the last couple of years, like a bad case of diarrhea, they've been flaring up again and thinking their team was the Yankees. That's why this year was so funny. It was supposed to be their year, but the Sox crashed the party to a certain extent, and they also got their asses swept for the 2nd straight year in the NLDS.

hellview
11-07-2008, 10:26 AM
I don't live in Chicago so I will never understand the hate for the Cubs. To me there just an NL team the Sox play 6 times a seasons.

Jimmy Piersall
11-07-2008, 02:02 PM
I don't live in Chicago so I will never understand the hate for the Cubs. To me there just an NL team the Sox play 6 times a seasons.

That's it right there...if you live in Chicago,or at least used to like i did
then you'd get it easily.To have that weak,blue,teddy bear bull****
shoved up your ass on a constant basis can be downright aggravating.

TDog
11-07-2008, 02:04 PM
... I ask, has the crosstown rivalry always been this fierce, or has interleague play created this stark division between the two fanbases?

I only go back to the late 1960s when Cubs fandom emerged, and I wasn't living in the Chicago area in 1984 when the paradoxical myth of the loveable-losers/team-of-destiny Cubs was born, along with the idea that they had always drawn 2 million fans.

The bullies at my grade school in Munster, Indiana, in 1968 were Cubs fans who preyed on the fewer Sox fans. In 1969, it got worse. My grandfather was a Cubs fans. My father moved to Chicago in 1959, and knew a winner when he saw it, although I became much less fair weather a baseball fan. My first baseball game was the Sox-Cubs Boys' Benefit Game, with my father and Sox-hating Cubs fans from grandfather's auto parts store.

As I understand it, there was time when the Sox and Cubs played a series after the season to determine a Chicago baseball champion, if neither team got to the World Series. If memory serves, the series ran from 1903 into the World War II years. I also understand the White Sox domination led to the series dying out. I have read that the commissioner didn't like the series because it drew attention away from the World Series, which was being played at the same time. Of course, all of this happened long before I was born.

Konerko05
11-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I was a Senior down at ISU during that "magical" run, and I still kept wearing my Sox gear during October. I remember times where I'd be wearing my Sox gear, and then I'd see Cubs fans either hanging out on the quad or by their apartments yelling out, "White Sox suck!" and booing me until I wasn't within earshot anymore. It still didn't stop me from wearing my Sox gear. I wore my Frank Thomas jersey and a Sox hat to classes the day after they were eliminated by the Marlins, but still didn't say anything.

Wow, that's really funny. I had the same exact experience at ISU in 2003. Everytime I would walk into a party with my Sox hat on, the whole party would direct their attention to me. Everyone would be screaming "Sox suck!!!" for about ten minutes. Everyone would be decked out in their shiny new Cubs gear they bought three days ago.

I made sure I wore my Sox hat everywhere. I actually kind of enjoyed it. I thought it was hilarious even though the Cubs were close to the World Series, Cub "fans" were still so concerned about the White Sox. In 2005, I forgot the Cubs even existed.

chisoxfanatic
11-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Wow, that's really funny. I had the same exact experience at ISU in 2003. Everytime I would walk into a party with my Sox hat on, the whole party would direct their attention to me. Everyone would be screaming "Sox suck!!!" for about ten minutes. Everyone would be decked out in their shiny new Cubs gear they bought three days ago.

I made sure I wore my Sox hat everywhere. I actually kind of enjoyed it. I thought it was hilarious even though the Cubs were close to the World Series, Cub "fans" were still so concerned about the White Sox. In 2005, I forgot the Cubs even existed.
Do you remember the huge mob that roamed around the entire ISU campus after the Cubs eliminated Atlanta? God, was that thing loud! I lived on the 22nd floor of Watterson and could STILL hear it! And I was preparing for an exam I had the next day.

People at the parties I used to go to knew me as "Sports Girl" or something like that, so they were saying to me "You must be happy the Cubs are going to win the World Series!" like the Cubs were entitled to it and they assumed that, being from Chicagoland, the Cubs were my team. Nevermind the fact that I would be wearing Sox gear at times.