PDA

View Full Version : I want the Sox to re-sign Freddy Garcia

Whitesoxfan23
10-24-2008, 08:06 PM
It really wouldn't hurt. It's a very low risk move. Due to his situation, I seriously doubt he is going to expect a lot of money. Why not give it a shot?

Meixner007
10-24-2008, 08:12 PM
I would think at this point in his career he's going to want to be guaranteed a major league spot. With Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, and Javy I don't see that happening.

oeo
10-24-2008, 08:22 PM
I would think at this point in his career he's going to want to be guaranteed a major league spot. With Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, and Javy I don't see that happening.

Pssst...that's only four rotation spots.

As a last resort, sure, let's bring him back. Put him in the same role El Duque was in, in 2005. We were very careful with him to make sure he stayed healthy for most of the year. He wasn't anything special, but he wasn't terrible, either. Richard's there for spot starts throughout the season.

Worth a shot, I think.

Sargeant79
10-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Man...people have really short memories around here.

oeo
10-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Man...people have really short memories around here.

I guess my memory is so short that you're going to have to explain this one to me.

turners56
10-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Detroit's probably going to give him a spot in their rotation. I personally think he's gonna stay with them.

DumpJerry
10-24-2008, 10:41 PM
If we sign him, we'll have to remind him that this year we had to win every single game we won to make the playoffs. This means every game is a Big Game.

soxpride724
10-24-2008, 10:43 PM
With Jose down til mid year next year, why not.

DumpJerry
10-24-2008, 11:06 PM
With Jose down til mid year next year, why not.
Because his shoulder is made of paper mache.

FedEx227
10-24-2008, 11:32 PM
...You guys are kidding right?

He's awful. He was throwing up 84-85 mph meatballs to the White Sox in that final game.

I don't care what the final score was, ask anybody, ask Freddy himself if he had any good amount of stuff in that game, they would all tell you Freddy was lucky the Sox didn't drop 10 on him.

Add in the fact, like Dump said, his arm is gone. He's another shoulder surgery waiting to happen.

oeo
10-24-2008, 11:59 PM
...You guys are kidding right?

He's awful. He was throwing up 84-85 mph meatballs to the White Sox in that final game.

I don't care what the final score was, ask anybody, ask Freddy himself if he had any good amount of stuff in that game, they would all tell you Freddy was lucky the Sox didn't drop 10 on him.

Add in the fact, like Dump said, his arm is gone. He's another shoulder surgery waiting to happen.

Actually he was hitting in the upper-80s, but that's alright. His major problem was lack of control early on, then he settled down.

As I said, as a last resort, it wouldn't be a bad option. Make sure you keep him healthy, giving Richard spot starts here and there throughout the season. It won't be anything great, but it won't be terrible, either.

This is actually a realistic option, unlike signing Derek Lowe for instance.

LoveYourSuit
10-25-2008, 01:20 AM
I look at our current options of Richard and Broadway......... Freddy easily becomes plan A of that bunch.

The El Duque example is there for you. Pitch him only when the 5th slot is needed to save his arm.

TDog
10-25-2008, 02:14 AM
I look at our current options of Richard and Broadway......... Freddy easily becomes plan A of that bunch. ...

I doubt White Sox management considers Garcia worthy of any plan at all.

LoveYourSuit
10-25-2008, 02:17 AM
I doubt White Sox management considers Garcia worthy of any plan at all.

I don't think he's worthy either, let's just hope the Sox do have an actual plan for the 5th slot and that plan not involving any of the 3 I mentioned.

4 points
10-25-2008, 02:49 AM
I don't think he's worthy either, let's just hope the Sox do have an actual plan for the 5th slot and that plan not involving any of the 3 I mentioned.

He`s not worthy, he`s not worthy.:bandance:

tm1119
10-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Im not sure about Garcia but i think we should sign a vet starter along those lines. Maybe a Penny, Colon, Pavano, or Hampton. Use Richard out of the pen and for spot starts early and for a backup plan for 1 of those starters.

btrain929
10-25-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm sorry to hear that...

Sargeant79
10-26-2008, 03:27 PM
I guess my memory is so short that you're going to have to explain this one to me.

By the end of the 2006 season, most Sox fans, especially those on this board, would have personally volunteered to drive Freddy Garcia to whichever city Kenny Williams could trade him too. People cited a drop in velocity, his tendency to give up runs early and start the offense out behind, as well as the preception that he was getting more and more out of shape as reasons why his career was on a downward path. When he was finally moved to the Phillies, the bitching wasn't about the fact that he got traded, but that Kenny didn't get enough in return (of course we see how that turned out).

While I acknowledge the circumstances are different now and Freddy wouldn't be expected to perform in the same capacity as he was for us in '06, I just think it's funny that there are so many people now who think it's a good idea that he be brought back only two years after most couldn't wait to run him out of town.

kittle42
10-26-2008, 04:58 PM
by the end of the 2006 season, most sox fans, especially those on this board, would have personally volunteered to drive freddy garcia to whichever city kenny williams could trade him too. People cited a drop in velocity, his tendency to give up runs early and start the offense out behind, as well as the preception that he was getting more and more out of shape as reasons why his career was on a downward path. When he was finally moved to the phillies, the bitching wasn't about the fact that he got traded, but that kenny didn't get enough in return (of course we see how that turned out).

While i acknowledge the circumstances are different now and freddy wouldn't be expected to perform in the same capacity as he was for us in '06, i just think it's funny that there are so many people now who think it's a good idea that he be brought back only two years after most couldn't wait to run him out of town.

2005!

khan
10-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Im not sure about Garcia but i think we should sign a vet starter along those lines. Maybe a Penny, Colon, Pavano, or Hampton. Use Richard out of the pen and for spot starts early and for a backup plan for 1 of those starters.

Sure. Or Mulder or whomever KW finds to be a suitable veteran to plug in at the 5th spot. [At least to start the season.

As I've posted in the Mulder and Prior threads, I can't see any reason NOT to bring on a reasonably-priced veteran as the 5th starter, for several reasons. Where Danks and Floyd had been up in the bigs for extended periods of time, neither Richard nor Broadway have been vetted at this level. At least, not to the same degree as Danks and Floyd had been prior to 2008.

Iwritecode
10-27-2008, 09:26 AM
The El Duque example is there for you. Pitch him only when the 5th slot is needed to save his arm.

Which during the season is usually every 5th day.

russ99
10-27-2008, 10:57 AM
I look at our current options of Richard and Broadway......... Freddy easily becomes plan A of that bunch.

That just states the obvious that the Sox need to bring in an inexpensive veteran arm to compete for the 5 spot.

But regardless of Freddy's relationship with Ozzie and our good memories of 2005, I doubt that Garcia's going to be the guy.

Jimmy Piersall
10-27-2008, 11:10 AM
If we want to continue on as the easiest team to steal bases
against,then Freddie's our guy.

oeo
10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
By the end of the 2006 season, most Sox fans, especially those on this board, would have personally volunteered to drive Freddy Garcia to whichever city Kenny Williams could trade him too. People cited a drop in velocity, his tendency to give up runs early and start the offense out behind, as well as the preception that he was getting more and more out of shape as reasons why his career was on a downward path. When he was finally moved to the Phillies, the bitching wasn't about the fact that he got traded, but that Kenny didn't get enough in return (of course we see how that turned out).

While I acknowledge the circumstances are different now and Freddy wouldn't be expected to perform in the same capacity as he was for us in '06, I just think it's funny that there are so many people now who think it's a good idea that he be brought back only two years after most couldn't wait to run him out of town.

Why is it funny? It's two entirely different situations. With the emergence of Danks and Floyd, we can afford to have a guy like Freddy. I'm the one with the short memory? Even before 2008, there's no way I bring Freddy in. Now that we have a solid four to build around, that changes.

I hate when people bring up 'flip flopping' as a valid argument. Things change, opinions change with them.

The Critic
10-27-2008, 11:29 AM
I think Freddy will get some offers based on his performance with Detroit.
I doubt the Sox will bid against other teams for Freddy's services.
I still remember the headaches I got watching guys steal at will off of Freddy, but I guess as a #5 he'd be as good as anyone else if they can get him on the cheap.

Sargeant79
10-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Why is it funny? It's two entirely different situations. With the emergence of Danks and Floyd, we can afford to have a guy like Freddy. I'm the one with the short memory? Even before 2008, there's no way I bring Freddy in. Now that we have a solid four to build around, that changes.

I hate when people bring up 'flip flopping' as a valid argument. Things change, opinions change with them.

I wasn't making a comment about whether it would be a good idea...only that I found it funny how fickle that we, as a fan base, can frequently be.

Boondock Saint
10-27-2008, 06:44 PM
No thanks. Freddy's always been slow to the plate , and now he's throwing slow, too. That's just begging for every walk or single he gives up to become a double. That was one of the biggest gripes about him when he was with us, and nothing's changed that.

Frontman
10-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Let's re-sign Frank Thomas to ride the bench, Scotty Pods to play Center, see what El Duque is doing and try to recapture the magic of 2005!!!!

Thanks, but when a guy named "C.C." is on the market, I'd rather see money thrown his way.

khan
10-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks, but when a guy named "C.C." is on the market, I'd rather see money thrown his way.

I'd like to have whatever YOU'RE smoking.

kittle42
10-28-2008, 10:21 AM

I'd like to have whatever YOU'RE smoking.

No kidding. C'mon, Frontman, even in today's economy, we all know 50 cents is not equal to 1 dollar.

doublem23
10-28-2008, 10:26 AM

:rolling:

While we're wishing, can KW and JR buy every Sox fan their own personal pot of gold?

oeo
10-28-2008, 10:47 AM
No kidding. C'mon, Frontman, even in today's economy, we all know 50 cents is not equal to 1 dollar.

Lame.

kittle42
10-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Lame.

Perhaps, but until the Sox show otherwise, I'll continue to keep beating KW's words into the ground.

Frontman
10-28-2008, 01:29 PM

My point is don't settle on a beat-up, bottom-shelf tosser when there is prime material Ace out there in the market. Of course I know C.C. is going to go to the top bidder, and likely not the White Sox; but I certainly think its stupid not to even try and waste time on a guy like Freddie. Why focus on a low-level guy for the 5th spot? I want KW to think "who is out there who could be a one, two, or three; versus settling for a 5?"

I never want to see the White Sox fanbase turn into the Yankee/Red Sox fanbase; but I certainly think we shouldn't be competing with the Marlins level of cheap.

guillensdisciple
10-28-2008, 03:31 PM
My point is don't settle on a beat-up, bottom-shelf tosser when there is prime material Ace out there in the market. Of course I know C.C. is going to go to the top bidder, and likely not the White Sox; but I certainly think its stupid not to even try and waste time on a guy like Freddie. Why focus on a low-level guy for the 5th spot? I want KW to think "who is out there who could be a one, two, or three; versus settling for a 5?"

I never want to see the White Sox fanbase turn into the Yankee/Red Sox fanbase; but I certainly think we shouldn't be competing with the Marlins level of cheap.

I agree with you, but there has to be a little monetary considerations when talking about a fifth spot. After all isn't that what we are looking for, unless you believe that Mark Buerhle, Gavin Floyd, John Danks, and Javy aren't a solied 1,2,3,4?

Then again I think you are right because they would be a better 2,3,4,5 with a C.C type pitching for us.

kittle42
10-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Then again I think you are right because they would be a better 2,3,4,5 with a C.C type pitching for us.

Man, that would be one great rotation. Ah, to dream.

Frontman
10-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Man, that would be one great rotation. Ah, to dream.

Again, that's my point. Dream and aim big; don't settle for someone on the cheap.

kittle42
10-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Again, that's my point. Dream and aim big; don't settle for someone on the cheap.

Well, yeah, but that really never happens with the Sox, especially with pitching. They tend to settle.

Frontman
10-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Well, yeah, but that really never happens with the Sox, especially with pitching. They tend to settle.

Then we should settle for someone better than Freddie, that's all.

kittle42
10-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Then we should settle for someone better than Freddie, that's all.

I'm fine with that.

Droso5
10-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Get him and get him now no matter the cost or his age or his injuries and partying.

Dude is a straight winner, he wins, he grinds, and does "stuff" all the time. No numbers needed here folks, he may have been in a steep decline, gotten older and been injured for a few years....but ****, he has "it" so get him and forget the other pitchers....get Ready Freddie and ride him to a championship.

spiffie
10-29-2008, 08:56 PM
:rolling:

While we're wishing, can KW and JR buy every Sox fan their own personal pot of gold?
Just remember, we have no idea how much money the Sox actually have to spend, unless of course you are their accountant or work in KW's office. There is no verifiable information that right now rules out Sabathia as a possible acquisition.

kittle42
10-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Get him and get him now no matter the cost or his age or his injuries and partying.

Dude is a straight winner, he wins, he grinds, and does "stuff" all the time. No numbers needed here folks, he may have been in a steep decline, gotten older and been injured for a few years....but ****, he has "it" so get him and forget the other pitchers....get Ready Freddie and ride him to a championship.

Implied teal?

kittle42
10-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Just remember, we have no idea how much money the Sox actually have to spend, unless of course you are their accountant or work in KW's office. There is no verifiable information that right now rules out Sabathia as a possible acquisition.

Just history every single year except Albert Belle, and he wasn't a pitcher.

Set your sights low during Sox offseasons and you won't be disappointed.

spiffie
10-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Just history every single year except Albert Belle, and he wasn't a pitcher.

Set your sights low during Sox offseasons and you won't be disappointed.
Over the last few years the Sox have given out big contracts to guys, only they have been for guys we already had. They signed Konerko to a big deal for the time. They stepped up and resigned Buehrle when he seemed to be out the door.

NEVER underestimate Kenny Williams.

oldcomiskey
11-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Id rather they took another shot at Garland if youre gonna bring back an old sox pitcher

Frontman
11-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Id rather they took another shot at Garland if youre gonna bring back an old sox pitcher

I agree with you there. Between the two of them; there is a larger upside to a re-signing of Garland compared to Garcia.

oldcomiskey
11-03-2008, 09:08 PM
hell Id rather they bring back Juan Pizzaro than Garcia. Tommy John anybody?
Gary Peters? Wilbur Wood aint but 206

Ziggy S
11-06-2008, 04:01 AM
Oh, what I wouldn't give to see Greg Hibbard take the mound, again.

mzh
11-06-2008, 06:22 PM

Two guys to pick up: bring back Jon Garland and stick him between Gavin Floyd and Danks, as it is my belief that Jose Contreras career is as good as over with that ankle; and second, probably the biggest favor Kenny could do is at least take a shot at bringing in Mark Texiera. All those guys on the market and the best Kenny could do was pick up Griffey. Give us a guy who can play third base or even the corner outfields if TCQ needs a day off.

While on the topic of former players, why not bring back Ray Durham, now a FA? The last two years he has hit .280 and .290 respectively, and I think he would be an excellent guy to hold down second base while Gordon Beckham matures in the minors, and provided Chris Getz doesn't work out, and I don't think we have seen enough of Getz to make any judgments.

Last, if there is one Sox pitcher I would like to see back from the past, it would have to be Black Jack McDowell. How can you ignore 91 wins in 6 seasons? What a stellar guy, year after year.

MetroPD
11-09-2008, 10:26 PM
So are we going to sign Esteban Loaiza again too?

Rohan
11-09-2008, 10:54 PM
David wells IMO...

soxinem1
11-10-2008, 02:01 PM
I think Bartolo Colon would be a more viable option in the Risk Free Agency category.....