PDA

View Full Version : Who is the worst person on ESPN?

Whitesoxfan23
10-24-2008, 05:15 PM
I say Berman. I just got my awesome 2005 White Sox World Series collection dvd set in the mail today, and this guy is such an obvious Red Sox homer, it makes me sick. Everytime the Red Sox scored, or made a good play it was brutally obvious. I'm so glad I can watch this knowing the wonderful outcome of the game :smile: P.S. This set is absolutely amazing. I love it.

RKMeibalane
10-24-2008, 06:17 PM
I say Berman. I just got my awesome 2005 White Sox World Series collection dvd set in the mail today, and this guy is such an obvious Red Sox homer, it makes me sick. Everytime the Red Sox scored, or made a good play it was brutally obvious. I'm so glad I can watch this knowing the wonderful outcome of the game :smile: P.S. This set is absolutely amazing. I love it.

There's no question that it's Berman. His ego is so massive that even the other ESPN personalities don't get along with him. Apparently, he shows up at staff meetings and throws his weight (all of it) around, in order to get coverage of an event or story that he wants. Since he has been with ESPN since the network began, no one questions him or tries to stop him. The guy is a grade-A jerk.

I'll never forget the look on his face when Curt Schilling made fun of Sosa at the 2002 Home Run Derby. It was priceless. I think there's a picture of it floating around here somewhere: it shows Berman trying to get Schilling to keep quiet, and Joe Morgan and Mike Piazza laughing.

WhiteSox5187
10-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Berman is by far the worst.

turners56
10-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Mr. Back-back-back-back GONE!

Or He. Will. Go. All. The. Way. Touchdown.

CMPDragRacing
10-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Steven A Smith

chisoxfanatic
10-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Chris Berman is awful when it comes to baseball. He should stick to football.

ChicagoG19
10-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Jay Marriotti

Whitesoxfan23
10-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Jay Marriotti

Yeah, that moron is without a doubt the worst, but every Sox fan knows that, so that is why I didn't even mention him. That moron isn't even worth talking about.

RKMeibalane
10-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Jay Marriotti

Jay is not a person. Jay is an "it," much like a certain someone who comes here to talk about the Twins.

Meixner007
10-24-2008, 08:13 PM
You're with me leather.

twentywontowin
10-24-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't mind Berman when he's not doing PBP or anything live. He's tolerable for the most part.

Stuart Scott kills me though. Very well spoken and educated, yet he chooses to talk like a bumbling idiot. Don't forget the eye.

skobabe8
10-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Berman is the no-brainer choice. Obviously, he SUCKS as a baseball announcer. But beyond that, his awful, out-dated attempts at nicknames is downright embarrassing.

FedEx227
10-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Berman no doubt.

It doesn't matter what he's covering. He is the ABSOLUTE worst.

TheOldRoman
10-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Berman is by far the worst. Steven A. Smith is also a joke. I will throw another mention in for Stuart Scott. I don't want to see his minstrel show "holla at a playa" routine and I don't want to hear someone spouting off rap lyrics while covering sports.

thomas35forever
10-25-2008, 12:41 AM
"Graffanino...OH NO!!! THROUGH HIS LEGS! EVERYONE'S SAFE!"

"MAYBE THAT'S THE LIFT BOSTON NEEDS!"

"OH, HE GETS HIM TO GO!"

"Iguchi, Konerko. The Red Sox dream to repeat is over."

Feel free to add more.

ChiSoxGirl
10-25-2008, 12:45 AM

"OH, HE GETS HIM TO GO!"

Feel free to add more.

:thumbsup: Nicely done. I think that about covers it for the 2005 ALDS!

StillMissOzzie
10-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Yes, I will give you all that Berman is a bumbling, Red Sox apologizing caricature of himself, but in the big picture he's harmless.

I can't stand Screamin' A Smith with a passion. He REALLY offends me.
Smarminess + Chip on shoulder attitude = :hurl:

SMO
:mad:

LoveYourSuit
10-25-2008, 01:42 AM
I hate John Kruk.

The next thought he sticks to from one night to the next will be his first.

The biggest flip flop on that station.

RadioheadRocks
10-25-2008, 01:50 AM

"OH, HE GETS HIM TO GO!"

Feel free to add more.

After "the El Duque inning" and while the White Sox are batting during the top of the 7th inning in Game 3:

"...oh by the way, Big Papi and Manny due up next inning"

TheKittle
10-25-2008, 02:06 AM
Lee Corso, what a fool.

roylestillman
10-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Steven A Smith

Agreed. How can somebody go through life so angry.

Didn't do himself a favor with his Barry Bonds rants either.

Railsplitter
10-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Stuart Scott, far and away. Berman at least tries (though not sucessfully, I'll grant that) to inject a little humor into things.

Lip Man 1
10-25-2008, 10:48 AM
There are so many to choose from but head and shoulders (and stomach) above everyone else is Chris Berman, the bloated gasbag.

Lip

Britt Burns
10-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Berman, by far.

Lukin13
10-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Berman sucks but Stephen A boiles my blood.

whitesox901
10-25-2008, 01:25 PM
I like Berman the most, dont really dislike anyone on there though

DSpivack
10-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Lee Corso, what a fool.

Fool, yeah, but I think he's funny in a senile old man kind of way. The mascot head thing every week is entertaining.

As for the worst person on ESPN, it's Chris Berman and it's not close at all [unless you count certain people on Around the Horn].

cards press box
10-25-2008, 03:06 PM
There are so many to choose from but head and shoulders (and stomach) above everyone else is Chris Berman, the bloated gasbag.

Lip

During the 2005 ALDS, Chris Berman did everything but wear a Red Sox cap during the broadcast. I can't recall ever seeing an announcer being more of a homer while calling a game on a national network for a national audience. Berman's complete and total bias in favor of the Red Sox was truly pathetic.

One more point: I'm sure many of the posters here remember the late Curt Gowdy who, for many years, called NBC's game of the week on Daturday afternoons. I could never imagine Gowdy -- who, unlike Berman, actually did play-by-play for the Red Sox during the season -- treating a Red Sox opponent (or their fans) with such blatant disrespect while calling a playoff series for NBC. Of course, Mr. Berman has taken shots at Sox fans before, notably in his post-game commentary after the 2003 All-Star game. For those who don't recall, he chastised Sox fans for booing rival players from the AL Central (such as Mike MacDougal) or the Cubs. Berman also criticized Sox fans for "cheering for Carl Everett, as though her were Harold Baines." As you all may recall, the Sox acquired Everett from Texas about two weeks before the All-Star game. Berman didn't like us when we cheered, when we booed or when we beat the Red Sox in a playoff series. Berman is certainly entitled to his opinions but he doesn't belong on national telivision shouting his bias to a national audience that includes Chicago White Sox fans. Or how about this -- maybe Berman should give a disclaimer before any broadcast he does involving the Red Sox or any other team he wishes to cheer on the air.

Berman, by far.

"Graffanino -- oh, no!!!!!"

RKMeibalane
10-25-2008, 03:44 PM
During the 2005 ALDS, Chris Berman did everything but wear a Red Sox cap during the broadcast. I can't recall ever seeing an announcer being more of a homer while calling a game on a national network for a national audience. Berman's complete and total bias in favor of the Red Sox was truly pathetic.

One more point: I'm sure many of the posters here remember the late Curt Gowdy who, for many years, called NBC's game of the week on Daturday afternoons. I could never imagine Gowdy -- who, unlike Berman, actually did play-by-play for the Red Sox during the season -- treating a Red Sox opponent (or their fans) with such blatant disrespect while calling a playoff series for NBC. Of course, Mr. Berman has taken shots at Sox fans before, notably in his post-game commentary after the 2003 All-Star game. For those who don't recall, he chastised Sox fans for booing rival players from the AL Central (such as Mike MacDougal) or the Cubs. Berman also criticized Sox fans for "cheering for Carl Everett, as though her were Harold Baines." As you all may recall, the Sox acquired Everett from Texas about two weeks before the All-Star game. Berman didn't like us when we cheered, when we booed or when we beat the Red Sox in a playoff series. Berman is certainly entitled to his opinions but he doesn't belong on national telivision shouting his bias to a national audience that includes Chicago White Sox fans. Or how about this -- maybe Berman should give a disclaimer before any broadcast he does involving the Red Sox or any other team he wishes to cheer on the air.

"Graffanino -- oh, no!!!!!"

Berman has openly admitted that he is a Red Sox fan, and that he sometimes roots for them while calling their games. It would be nice to see someone from the media call him out for such unprofessional behavior. And while I'm thinking about it, it would be nice not having to listen to Joe Buck crticize every aspect of a Ryan Howard at-bat, or Tim McCarver spewing out numerous factual errors. Honestly, could we have a worse play-by-play team for baseball's preimier event? Good gawd...

I've been thinking about this a lot this past week, and find myself extremely disappointed with Fox and Major League Baseball. More and more, it seems that baseball broadcasts are focused less on the events of the game itself, and more on providing entertainment. Although I certainly understand the desire to attract more fans to broadcasts, the fact that Fox and MLB have to jazz up broadcasts suggests that they don't believe that baseball, as it is, can market itself. They are, therefore, degrading their own product.

If Fox would focus more on the game that's actually being played, and less on commericials and additonal features to their broadcasts, perhaps people would be more interested in watching.

PaleHoser
10-25-2008, 04:03 PM
he chastised Sox fans for booing rival players from the AL Central (such as Mike MacDougal)

My English teacher in high school would have called this "foreshadowing". I wonder if Berman thinks it's OK that I still boo him even though he plays for my team?

Back on topic, Stephen A. Smith. I watch Smith and try to calculate how much lunch money he had beaten out of him in elementary school. It helps me tune him out.

Rockabilly
10-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Skip Bayless is the biggest loser on ESPN

I hate that guy with a passion..

PatK
10-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Berman for is the worst to listen to

Stuart Scott is the worst to look at.

I don't mind Bayless as much because I learned years ago (especially when he was in Chicago), that he's pretty much a journalistic equivalent of an internet message board troll.

Frontman
10-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Steven A. Smith. Berman is tolerable, Jim Rome is funny, Skip Bayless is ESPN's troll.

But Steven A. is just way, way, WAAAAAAY to angry of a man for my liking.

Although, I wish WSCR would drop Murph so I could avoid Scott Van Pelt. He's climbing the rungs to reach the top of the intolerable ladder.

guillen4life13
10-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Steven A. Smith. Berman is tolerable, Jim Rome is funny, Skip Bayless is ESPN's troll.

But Steven A. is just way, way, WAAAAAAY to angry of a man for my liking.

Although, I wish WSCR would drop Murph so I could avoid Scott Van Pelt. He's climbing the rungs to reach the top of the intolerable ladder.

I think the better question for this thread would have been, "Who is actually tolerable on ESPN?"

But, for the worst, Berman probably wins, but here are runner ups:

-The BBTN crew except Karl Ravech. Gammons can be alright also.
-Stuart Scott. He used to be good but over this decade he has exemplified ESPN's downward spiral.
-Brent Musberger can tick me off but he's relatively alright.
-Steven A. Smith. Do I really need to say more?
-Bayless and Marriotti
-I might get flamed for this, but Mike Ditka can annoy me with his style of delivery as an analyst.

RadioheadRocks
10-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Berman has openly admitted that he is a Red Sox fan, and that he sometimes roots for them while calling their games. It would be nice to see someone from the media call him out for such unprofessional behavior.

FWIW, during the "El Duque inning", at one point Rick Sutcliffe said something to the effect that "we're supposed to be impartial here". :thumbsup:

Frontman
10-25-2008, 07:49 PM
-I might get flamed for this, but Mike Ditka can annoy me with his style of delivery as an analyst.

You and me both. For a guy who advised others to quote "Not live in the past" sure has made a ton of money off of living in the past.

BleacherBandit
10-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Worst:

-Chris Berman, it's been said enough already.
-Steven A. Smith, too hyper, yells too much.
-Skip Bayless, see above.
(however, when Smith and Bayless analyize together on First and Ten, it's hillarious. The host can't stop them sometimes.)
-Jim Rome. His show is all about complaining, but he doesn't have any statistical warrants to back himself up. He basically just goes on his show and complains about people's character for thirty minutes. I hate him.
- I used to love Peter Gammons, but he's losing his touch. Maybe it's time for him to retire.

Best:

-Steve Berthume is hillarious on BBTN. His sayings are hillarious, but he shouldn't get too involved like Chris Berman does....

-Neil Everett is hillarious too

-Lee Corso is funny enough, and I don't get overwhelmed by him like all of you do because I don't really follow College Football.

-The Asian guy who works for ESPN News is very CNN like too.

Lip Man 1
10-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Cards:

This is for you:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3016

Lip

PKalltheway
10-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Cards:

This is for you:

Lip
I absolutely love reading this article. It never gets old.

Great work, Lip!:thumbsup:

ChiSoxFan81
10-27-2008, 11:37 AM
I was at 2005 ALDS game 2, sitting in the LF bleachers. The Iguchi HR was pandemonium. I couldn't wait to hear the audio of the HR call. When I heard Berman's pathetic description, I wanted to puke.

SOXPHILE
10-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Berman and Screamin' Steven in a sissy slap fest cage match. Two men enter, neither one leaves.

Irishsox1
10-29-2008, 03:21 PM
The biggest problem with ESPN is that it has no real competition and as a result the place is full of garbage.

From sportscenter, to the announcers, to the website it's all full of the bottom of the barrel. The place is a cesspool for the hacks in broadcasting.

Linda Cohn in HD, who the heck thought this was a good idea?

soxnut67
10-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Dan Schulman and the morning update guy on the radio. Can they add any more extra syllables to words?? What a talent!:bandance:

Lundind1
10-31-2008, 01:38 AM
Berman is pretty bad, D- bad. Speaking of bad calls I really wish that Joe Buck would be done, I just heard no passion in his voice when the Sox won the pennant.

Stephan A. Smith would be living in a garbage can if he couldn't talk really fast. C+....maybe. I just don't like his style and his catering to the New Yorkers.

Lee Corso is just the man, he gets booed everywhere he goes it seems but he calls em like he sees em. B+

Bob Ley: now that is a sports reporter. One of the original two anchors that they have left. See D- for the other one. Outside the lines is one of the best sports shows out there. A

cards press box
10-31-2008, 03:56 AM
Cards:

This is for you:

Lip

Lip,

Thanks for the link -- the article is excellent. I've long thought that ESPN would be a markedly different product if the station had started in Kansas City, Mo. or Santa Fe, New Mexico or just about anywhere but Bristol, Conn. For example, if ESPN were located anywhere but Connecticut, would it have even hired Berman in the first place? Unless I'm mistaken, when ESPN started in 1979, Berman was a weekend sports anchor at the NBC affiliate in Hartford, Conn.

cub killer
10-31-2008, 05:31 AM
I was at 2005 ALDS game 2, sitting in the LF bleachers. The Iguchi HR was pandemonium. I couldn't wait to hear the audio of the HR call. When I heard Berman's pathetic description, I wanted to puke.

What did he say? All I remember was him saying, as runners crossed the plate... "Give any team, especially one as good as the White Sox, extra outs and they'll make you pay"

Oops, you're banned. If anyone else can answer, thanx in advance.

skobabe8
10-31-2008, 07:48 AM
What did he say? All I remember was him saying, as runners crossed the plate... "Give any team, especially one as good as the White Sox, extra outs and they'll make you pay"

Oops, you're banned. If anyone else can answer, thanx in advance.

I remember a 'Driven deep to left field....Gone!'

I think the part that you quoted was the ****ty part because to me he seemed mad at the Red Sox for the error.

SOXPHILE
10-31-2008, 08:57 AM
I remember a 'Driven deep to left field....Gone!'

I think the part that you quoted was the ****ty part because to me he seemed mad at the Red Sox for the error.

I remember that, and in all fairness, he did do it with the excitement in his voice that you would expect from a big home run in a playoff game, regardless of what team hit it. I'm the last guy to defend Berman, but in that series, he did at least have a few moments where he was o.k. But I was just watching my game 3 DVD a few nights ago, and he really was pretty insufferable with all his Red Sox love, and "oh, by the way, the team they're playing, the White Sox, are here too" attitude. A blatant one was when Oritz flew out deep to Rowand, and Berman thought it was going to be his second homer of the game. He was doing the HIT TO DEEP CENTER FIELD bit, but when Rowand caught it, he really sounded genuinely disappointed. "Rowand catches it 405 feet from home plant..."

bigfoot
11-06-2008, 03:06 PM
I suppose that it's a seasonal thing, but Lou Holtz has to be put down. The noise that comes out of the little leprechaun makes my finger twitch for the mute button. I realize this will bring down the wrath of the Loyal Sons, so while in the neighborhood I'll add Dickie V to my list. Both acts are old and tired, Dickie's passing of the kidney stone calls(OOOOOOOOH babeeeeee) are fingernails on the blackboard. And there are no mediocre coaches in basketball, in the Land of V.

MHOUSE
11-08-2008, 02:02 AM
I suppose that it's a seasonal thing, but Lou Holtz has to be put down. The noise that comes out of the little leprechaun makes my finger twitch for the mute button.

I completely agree. I've become a huge college football fan the last two years and Holtz is intolerable. You can't understand what he's saying half the time and it's almost like they just dress him up in Lou's Corner to see what he'll say and then laugh at him. That said, Herbstreet is a joke and the second biggest flip-flopper next to Kruk. Corso's act gets old, but at least he sticks to his guns. What you see is what you get.

I hate watching anything with Berman because all he does is interrupt the people around him to interject a bad nickname or pun. You can see guys on air almost rolling their eyes or just staring in disbelief at the guy! Steven A. is bad because he's so angry at everything and brings up race constantly in his arguments for no reason. Buck/McCarver is absolutely brutal, but Chip Caray is a complete hack as well. Bring back Scooter to Fox Baseball before any of those guys.

That said I love Colin Cowherd in the mornings on the radio and you can't beat Kenny Mayne for a off the wall story. I like pretty much everyone on Around the Horn or PTI (except Mariotti) and Tarico/Van Pelt is decent.