PDA

View Full Version : Joey Cora to Seattle?

HomeFish
10-24-2008, 01:23 AM
I was reading something in the Sun-Times last week about Joey Cora being mentioned as a potential new manager for the Mariners. Is there any basis for this, or are our wonderful papers once again making things up?

Nellie_Fox
10-24-2008, 01:37 AM
Is there any basis for this, or are our wonderful papers once again making things up?Very similar to questions I've asked about many, many HomeFish posts in the past.

goofymsfan
10-24-2008, 06:07 AM
I was reading something in the Sun-Times last week about Joey Cora being mentioned as a potential new manager for the Mariners. Is there any basis for this, or are our wonderful papers once again making things up?

I know he was a part of the '95 Seattle team but honestly, I think Seattle needs to try and get someone in as manager that has experience handling what has the potential of being a fairly young team in terms of experience. Yes, I know there are still going to be veterns on the team, but I see there being quite a youth movement on the team as well.

delben91
10-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Didn't Joey interview in Washington or Pittsburgh the last few years? Seems the last few offseasons his name is mentioned next to managerial vacancies.

TheKittle
10-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Cora's not even mentioned in this story from ESPN. Riggleman and Yost seem to the the two candidates.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3662432

Tragg
10-26-2008, 12:09 PM
I strongly support the Mariners' hiring of Joey Cora.

btrain929
10-26-2008, 02:09 PM
I strongly support the Mariners' hiring of Joey Cora.

This is just my opinion, but I'm on the boat where I could really care less if he remains our bench coach or asst manager or whatever he is, or leaves for another gig. He seems more of a "yes" man to Ozzie than someone who actually brings a lot of knowledge and/or skill to his position.

Tragg
10-26-2008, 03:58 PM
He seems more of a "yes" man to Ozzie than someone who actually brings a lot of knowledge and/or skill to his position.
And he'd likely be replaced by another yes-man, so it probably wouldn't make much difference.
I would like to see a serious coach - a teacher - added to this staff.

btrain929
10-26-2008, 04:57 PM
And he'd likely be replaced by another yes-man, so it probably wouldn't make much difference.
I would like to see a serious coach - a teacher - added to this staff.

Agreed, and agreed.