PDA

View Full Version : TBS makes benchmark will keep playoff contract

Fenway
10-23-2008, 11:39 PM
TBS will keep its contract to cover the post-season after attracting enough viewers for the ALCS to keep MLB happy. Game 7 on Sunday was the second most watched program on cable in 2008 and the highest viewership in TBS history. The game attracted nearly 14 million viewers. MLB had an opt out if viewership did not meet a certain figure.

Game 1 of the World Series attracted nearly 16 million viewers which was 15 percent down from last year but better than 2006.

One thing MLB wants to change is to allow over the air simulcasts in the home markets similar to what the NFL does.

So we will have Chip to at least 2013.

I want Mags back
10-23-2008, 11:57 PM
One thing MLB wants to change is to allow over the air simulcasts in the home markets similar to what the NFL does.

I was very suprised they didnt have that to begin with. I remember in '00 and '05 WGN got to pick up the simulcast from ESPN.

Hitmen77
10-24-2008, 12:28 AM
I'll take TBS over Eastern Seaboard Programming Network for playoff games. I'll take Chip over that overgrown BoSox cheerleader that did the 05 ALDS.

I remember way back in 1983 I believe they actually let the local Sox station (WFLD?) broadcast the ALCS games with our own announcers (Drysdale and Hawk). Those days are long gone.

Boondock Saint
10-24-2008, 02:26 AM
Hooray! Frank TV ads for all!!!

Another year of that? ****ing shoot me.

Nellie_Fox
10-24-2008, 02:36 AM

Another year of that? ****ing shoot me.Do what I do. Use your remote. Don't watch ads.

Boondock Saint
10-24-2008, 02:47 AM
Do what I do. Use your remote. Don't watch ads.

I don't have cable, so I watched the majority of the playoffs at various sports bars, where channel surfing is less tolerated. :redneck

On the other hand, digital TV is going to be mandatory by the time playoffs come around next year, so there's hope for me yet.

Chez
10-24-2008, 10:24 AM
I like everything about the TBS package except Chip and Harold Reynolds. After hearing his comments about the White Sox during the Tampa series, I don't think Harold does his homework. The rest of the broadcast crew is solid -- I especially enjoy the studio team.

BleacherBandit
10-24-2008, 10:35 AM
I like everything about the TBS package except Chip and Harold Reynolds. After hearing his comments about the White Sox during the Tampa series, I don't think Harold does his homework. The rest of the broadcast crew is solid -- I especially enjoy the studio team.

Jesus, how many times did Chip Caray make me think that somebody hit a home run? He's just no suited for announcing games. Either that or he needs to learn how to not become so excited.

SOXPHILE
10-24-2008, 11:47 AM

What is that ? Some sort of new show ? I haven't seen any promos for it. Frank who ? Sinatra ?

VenturaFan23
10-24-2008, 12:04 PM

I can handle that if it means the booyah network doesn't get a sniff of the playoffs yet again.

ChiSoxFan81
10-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Damn. I was hoping that Vs. would get them.

soxpride724
10-24-2008, 01:49 PM
I can handle that if it means the booyah network doesn't get a sniff of the playoffs yet again.

I'm cool with that also. ESPN has ruined many great playoff games for me.

PatK
10-24-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm happy with it, except for Chip.

I'm torn about who I dislike more- chip or Joe Buck.

palehozenychicty
10-24-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm happy with it, except for Chip.

I'm torn about who I dislike more- chip or Joe Buck.

Joe is just so damn smug. At least with Chip you have a sense of pity for his goofy demeanor.

Palehose Pete
10-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Jesus, how many times did Chip Caray make me think that somebody hit a home run? He's just no suited for announcing games. Either that or he needs to learn how to not become so excited.

I might have agreed with you before the WS started, but, man, I think I might be getting dumb from listening to Tim McCarver and "He Whose Name Shall Not Be Spoken." McCarver can suck the IQ out of a Mensa convention. If it's a choice between those two and Chip Caray, death not being an option, I'll take Chipper, thank you.

russ99
10-24-2008, 03:36 PM
I can understand giving some Division Series games to a cable outlet, but it's a huge disservice to baseball to put the AL and NL Championship Series on a network that some cannot watch.

But since when was Bud interested in not doing huge disservice to baseball when profits are involved... It's the same mentality at work that has the NHL on Versus.

DumpJerry
10-24-2008, 04:11 PM
MLB had an opt out if viewership did not meet a certain figure.
....and yet the Frank Caliendo Show lives on with zero viewers? How is that possible?

palehozenychicty
10-24-2008, 04:49 PM
....and yet the Frank Caliendo Show lives on with zero viewers? How is that possible?

For real. I think the ads have gotten more viewing time than the actual show.

Zisk77
10-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Sweet! My bros best friend works for TBS sports and did the Sox/rays series so I was able to score free tickets to game 4. He had some amazingly funny Guillen stories.

PKalltheway
10-24-2008, 06:27 PM
I'll echo the same sentiments that others have on here. If it means that ESPN won't get the playoffs, so be it.

Besides, I really enjoyed the TBS studio crew with Dennis Eckersley, and Cal Ripken, Jr.

doublem23
10-24-2008, 06:59 PM
But since when was Bud interested in not doing huge disservice to baseball when profits are involved... It's the same mentality at work that has the NHL on Versus.

But at least in MLB's case, TBS ponied up the money for the contract, right? I understand the argument to maximize your viewers, but as with a lot of things, the bottom line makes a lot of decisions. The NHL is on Versus not because they wanted to, but because ESPN told them to go **** themselves when they didn't want to pay the league the same they'd paid before the sport nearly killed itself with a lock-out.

Right now, comparing any sports league to the NHL is a serious insult to that league.

EuroSox35
10-24-2008, 07:47 PM
I like TBS except for Chip (both Orsillo and Stockton are better) and how they handled that Game 6, which was terrible. You can scroll a technical difficulty message, then update the people with some game information. There goes another HR...oops...

Railsplitter
10-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I'll take TBS over Eastern Seaboard Programming Network for playoff games. I'll take Chip over that overgrown BoSox cheerleader that did the 05 ALDS.

I remember way back in 1983 I believe they actually let the local Sox station (WFLD?) broadcast the ALCS games with our own announcers (Drysdale and Hawk). Those days are long gone.

That was the last year of that arrangement. I remember Schlub fans whining about not getting to see Harry Caray on TV.

soxgirl617
10-25-2008, 12:38 PM
I can understand giving some Division Series games to a cable outlet, but it's a huge disservice to baseball to put the AL and NL Championship Series on a network that some cannot watch.

I completely agree, and would even go farther: the division series games should also be on broadcast TV. While many people have cable/satellite, many people don't....and in some areas of the country, don't have cable as an option.

ViPeRx007
10-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Chip >>>>>>>> Joe Buck

Brian26
10-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Chip >>>>>>>> Joe Buck

I agree. Chip is much better than Joe Buck, and Buck Martinez is outstanding.

BleacherBandit
10-25-2008, 11:41 PM
I agree. Chip is much better than Joe Buck, and Buck Martinez is outstanding.

How about this? Chip Caray and Joe Buck both suck. However, at least Joe Buck doesn't make you think every routine fly is going to be a homerun. Chip seems to be calling the game from the upper deck, behind homeplate.

Brian26
10-26-2008, 12:17 AM
How about this? Chip Caray and Joe Buck both suck. However, at least Joe Buck doesn't make you think every routine fly is going to be a homerun. Chip seems to be calling the game from the upper deck, behind homeplate.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. The upper deck behind homeplate is the best location in the entire ballpark to judge flyballs. I've had season tickets there and know how easy it is to read a ball right off the bat, judge the arc and watch the outfielders start-in or glide back.