PDA

View Full Version : Brooks On Radio Team, Blackout, Nancy etc...

Lip Man 1
10-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Here you go:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081022&content_id=3636323&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I noticed his comments about Hawk and Santo.

Lip

Scottiehaswheels
10-22-2008, 05:12 PM
I was thinking/hoping the blackout thing might in someway relate to the broadcast rules. Doh, how quickly some forget.

skobabe8
10-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Well, as far as I'm concerned, every year Nancy is back from here on out is gravy. Because I really dont expect her to come back at all.

chisoxfanatic
10-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Well, as far as I'm concerned, every year Nancy is back from here on out is gravy. Because I really dont expect her to come back at all.
It's too bad that she doesn't do many night games at all, so those of us with the Hit & Run plan don't get to hear much from her during games in our plan. I talked with her before game 4 of the ALDS, telling her how much she has been missed at night games, and that I hoped to hear her at more night games. She smiled, thanked me, and said "We'll see."

WhiteSox5187
10-22-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm glad to see that we're not going to be over doing the blackout thing which I feared.

CubKilla
10-22-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm glad to see that we're not going to be over doing the blackout thing which I feared.

Cardinals fans always wear red to every game and no one ever complans about them overdoing it.

If Sox fans want to continue wearing black to Sox games from here on out, more power to them.

Grobber33
10-23-2008, 09:45 AM
It goes without saying(although I will here)that I am thrilled that Nancy is back again! And it was great that she played for the Post Season games,even those at night! Nancy is a fantastic lady!

http://www.grobber.com/index.php?module=My_eGallery&do=showpic&pid=161&orderby=dateD

jdm2662
10-23-2008, 10:00 AM
It goes without saying(although I will here)that I am thrilled that Nancy is back again! And it was great that she played for the Post Season games,even those at night! Nancy is a fantastic lady!

http://www.grobber.com/index.php?module=My_eGallery&do=showpic&pid=161&orderby=dateD

She was even there for the tie-breaker game, and I was a good thing to hear!

SOXPHILE
10-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Here you go:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081022&content_id=3636323&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I noticed his comments about Hawk and Santo.

Lip

Liked the Santo comments. Because Brooks is a classy guy, he said "No disrespect to Santo...", when I'm pretty sure many of us here would have said something like "With all due and deserved disrespect to Santo..."

cheezheadsoxfan
10-23-2008, 11:49 AM
I wonder if there is any chance of Jack McDowell working with Farmer.

I hate to see Stone go because I can only get radio where I'm at and the difference between 2008 and 2007 on the radio was night and day.

I'll just have to move where I can get the TV broadcasts I guess.:cool:

Rockabilly
10-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Nancy is a very classy lady.. I am also thrilled that she will be back..

btrain929
10-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Can someone explain the situation with Nancy? I know who she is and know she's awesome, but there's gotta be a bigger story that I'm missing. Why is it such big news that she'll be back?

Mr.1Dog
10-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Can someone explain the situation with Nancy? I know who she is and know she's awesome, but there's gotta be a bigger story that I'm missing. Why is it such big news that she'll be back?

Because it seems that she is on the verge of permanent retirement and the fact that she will play day games, and I assume playoff games as well, is good news. So it's good news in the sense that she's still going to play at the stadium at all.

btrain929
10-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Because it seems that she is on the verge of permanent retirement and the fact that she will play day games, and I assume playoff games as well, is good news. So it's good news in the sense that she's still going to play at the stadium at all.

Any reason in particular why she is considering retiring?

Nellie_Fox
10-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Any reason in particular why she is considering retiring?Maybe because she'll be 62 by the start of next season and it will be her thirtieth year with the Sox? :dunno:

jabrch
10-23-2008, 02:23 PM
I wonder if there is any chance of Jack McDowell working with Farmer.

Unless Jack's children age at a very rapid rate, or he changes his mind, I wouldn't expect to see him in our booth full-time anytime soon.

tebman
10-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Maybe because she'll be 62 by the start of next season and it will be her thirtieth year with the Sox? :dunno:

Actually I think it'll be her 39th year with the Sox. If I remember right, she started in 1971.

But the point is the same -- she's done this a long time (I think only missing a few days over all those years) and she's chosen to reduce her schedule.

She's the best.

Nellie_Fox
10-23-2008, 02:52 PM
She started in 1970, and my math was wrong because I have such a problem realizing that makes FORTY seasons!!! 1970 doesn't seem all that long ago to me. :geezer:

tebman
10-23-2008, 02:55 PM
She started in 1970, and my math was wrong because I have such a problem realizing that makes FORTY seasons!!! 1970 doesn't seem all that long ago to me. :geezer:

:D: That makes two of us!

TDog
10-23-2008, 03:10 PM

I have a 1970 program in which there is a little story introducing Nancy Faust as the new organist. People talk about Harry Caray making the old ballpark fun in the 1970s, but he was on the radio and didn't have much impact for people attending the games. Nancy Faust provided the spontaneous, clever soundtrack for the games and had much more to do with the atmosphere than Harry Caray did.

btrain929
10-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Wow. I didn't know she was with the Sox that long and didn't know she was that old. She looks good for her age. Learn something new everyday....