PDA

View Full Version : Mark Prior?

gogosox16
10-21-2008, 10:23 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/10/prior-ready-for.html
Would anyone be interested at giving Prior a shot? I would love the Sox to give him a 1 year deal with incentives. You never know. You could catch lightning in a bottle with him and he could have a big year. What are your thoughts?

thomas35forever
10-21-2008, 10:28 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/10/prior-ready-for.html
Would anyone be interested at giving Prior a shot? I would love the Sox to give him a 1 year deal with incentives. You never know. You could catch lightning in a bottle with him and he could have a big year. What are your thoughts?
Nope. I think his best days are behind him. He could come back, but I'm also saying the same thing about Mark Mulder.

Boondock Saint
10-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Nope. I'm not willing to give a roster spot to a guy that isn't going to last a month, when we could be using that spot on someone that may actually help our team. The Cubs stuck with him and he could never stay healthy. The Padres took a chance with him and he couldn't stay healthy. The next team to take a chance with him won't see him pitch, either.

kittle42
10-21-2008, 10:45 PM
We don't have enough towels.

DumpJerry
10-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Pass.

This is the one issue where I actually think Mike North is somewhat right on. He's (Prior) a head case. Coop can work mechanics, but he's not a shrink.

october23sp
10-21-2008, 10:57 PM
He might be a good long reliever but I doubt he would accept that role.

Domeshot17
10-21-2008, 10:59 PM
the only way I would do it is if he made a full commitment to getting healthy. You could maybe get the bonus out of him by sticking it to the Cubs, but who knows. Is he worth the 300k and incentives, probably. If anything though, his future is in the bullpen, not the rotation, unless he pulls a Chris Carpenter like Miracle.

october23sp
10-21-2008, 11:05 PM
the only way I would do it is if he made a full commitment to getting healthy. You could maybe get the bonus out of him by sticking it to the Cubs, but who knows. Is he worth the 300k and incentives, probably. If anything though, his future is in the bullpen, not the rotation, unless he pulls a Chris Carpenter like Miracle.

Or we could put him in CF like Ankiel

WhiteSox5187
10-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Good God no.

LITTLE NELL
10-22-2008, 04:55 AM
No way, I hated this guy when he was with the Flubs. He's done.

WSox597
10-22-2008, 06:03 AM
But, he's the all-time winner of simulated games!

A simulated Cy Young!

That scream in the background, "Nooooo!" was from Herm Schneider.

alohafri
10-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Could we use someone to hand out towels in the locker room? He is accomplished at handling towels afterall.

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-22-2008, 07:30 AM
But, he's the all-time winner of simulated games!

A simulated Cy Young!

That scream in the background, "Nooooo!" was from Herm Schneider.

Herm wouldn't scream - he'd code him and tag him and ship him to the morgue.

A previous poster was right - the only thing he's good for now is throwing in the towel (Hey NOW!) and stiffing an autograph session at Just Ducky.

soxpride724
10-22-2008, 08:38 AM
I'll pass.

palehozenychicty
10-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Mark Prior needs to apply for a job at Bed Bath and Beyond. Towel and Toiletries Coordinator. He is no longer a pitcher in MLB.

doublem23
10-22-2008, 08:44 AM
He might be a good long reliever but I doubt he would accept that role.

What's wrong with a good reliever?

october23sp
10-22-2008, 08:46 AM
What's wrong with a good reliever?

Nothing. I would love to see him in our pen but I don't think he wants to "lower" himself down to the level of Middle Reliever.

btrain929
10-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Bottom line is with guys like Prior and Mulder, there will be many teams willing to offer them a "1 year deal loaded with incentives." It's gonna come down to where they'll get the most opportunity to play, the exact $$ figures, and locale. I'd imagine Prior would prefer to stay out on the West Coast. Mulder might be more of a possibility since he's from here.

Foulke You
10-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Bottom line is with guys like Prior and Mulder, there will be many teams willing to offer them a "1 year deal loaded with incentives." It's gonna come down to where they'll get the most opportunity to play, the exact $$ figures, and locale. I'd imagine Prior would prefer to stay out on the West Coast. Mulder might be more of a possibility since he's from here.
I'd feel more comfortable giving an incentive based contract to Mulder over Prior for several reasons. For starters, Mulder was healthy for his first six straight seasons. Prior has had exactly 1 1/2 injury free seasons in the bigs. (half of '02 and all of '03) Mulder also has had experience in the AL. The biggest reason I'd prefer Mulder over Prior is in terms of brains. We know Mulder has the mental makeup to succeed in the bigs because he has shown it while Prior seems to be a mental midget and can't pitch through any sort of discomfort. Signing Prior would be $1 million wasted that we could spend on our team elsewhere.

khan
10-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I'd feel more comfortable giving an incentive based contract to Mulder over Prior for several reasons. For starters, Mulder was healthy for his first six straight seasons. Prior has had exactly 1 1/2 injury free seasons in the bigs. (half of '02 and all of '03) Mulder also has had experience in the AL. The biggest reason I'd prefer Mulder over Prior is in terms of brains. We know Mulder has the mental makeup to succeed in the bigs because he has shown it while Prior seems to be a mental midget and can't pitch through any sort of discomfort. Signing Prior would be $1 million wasted that we could spend on our team elsewhere.

I'd agree with all of this. I'd also add to this that I've heard that Prior was a PED-user. Whether or not the PED issue is true or not, Prior is also a major ********, too.

I'd rather reserve the club's "Major ********" slot for Chone Figgins instead of Prior.

btrain929
10-22-2008, 11:09 AM

Good points.

ChiSoxFan81
10-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Sure, if we need a Game 1 starter for the Simulated World Series.

And if he comes with extra arms that can be popped in like a Crash Test Dummy.

FedEx227
10-22-2008, 11:27 AM
So exactly how are any of these idiots an upgrade over Clayton Richard? Because 4 years ago and 8 surgeries earlier they were decent pitchers.

Seems stupid to throw money at them when we have guys on our staff that can have 6+ ERAs.

khan
10-22-2008, 11:37 AM
So exactly how are any of these idiots an upgrade over Clayton Richard? Because 4 years ago and 8 surgeries earlier they were decent pitchers.

Seems stupid to throw money at them when we have guys on our staff that can have 6+ ERAs.

Why does it have to be EITHER Richard OR fill-in-the-blank-with-a-reasonably-priced-veteran? Why can't it be both?

Going into this season, none of us thought that DJ Carrasco would play a role in the big club, but he did. Few of us thought that Richard or Broadway would play a role in the big club, but they did. MOST of us thought that IF a SP went down, that it would've been Masset that would step up.

When Contreras got hurt, the real need for 6 or 7 SP-capable arms became clear. I don't know about you, but IF this team is to contend in 2009, I'd like to have 6 or 7 SP-capable arms. This, so that WHEN a SP gets hurt/is ineffective, there are other options.

Remember that going into 2008, the red sawks, despite having 5 proven SP in the 25 man roster, PLUS Clay Bucholz [he of the no-no in '07] in AAA, they STILL outbid KW for Gordo Colon.

I see exactly no reason NOT to pursue a reasonably-priced veteran SP as one of the teams 6 or 7 SP-capable arms. Be it Mulder, or whomever KW can find.

Chez
10-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Why does it have to be EITHER Richard OR fill-in-the-blank-with-a-reasonably-priced-veteran? Why can't it be both?

Going into this season, none of us thought that DJ Carrasco would play a role in the big club, but he did. Few of us thought that Richard or Broadway would play a role in the big club, but they did. MOST of us thought that IF a SP went down, that it would've been Masset that would step up.

When Contreras got hurt, the real need for 6 or 7 SP-capable arms became clear. I don't know about you, but IF this team is to contend in 2009, I'd like to have 6 or 7 SP-capable arms. This, so that WHEN a SP gets hurt/is ineffective, there are other options.

Remember that going into 2008, the red sawks, despite having 5 proven SP in the 25 man roster, PLUS Clay Bucholz [he of the no-no in '07] in AAA, they STILL outbid KW for Gordo Colon.

I see exactly no reason NOT to pursue a reasonably-priced veteran SP as one of the teams 6 or 7 SP-capable arms. Be it Mulder, or whomever KW can find.

You raise some good points, but I'd rather invest in scouting and player development so that when the need arises, we have options in our farm system rather than taking a flier on veterans with histories of major arm injuries. The lack of depth in our farm system is, in my opinion, the main issue which needs to be addressed. You mention Boston outbidding KW for Colon, but look at the internal options the Red Sox already had -- Lester, Buchholz, Masterson, Bowden etc. I think we need to emphasize and invest in growing our own.

FedEx227
10-22-2008, 12:19 PM
No, we're just going to continue to patchwork holes and "go for it" every year.

But seriously, why do we need either Mulder or Prior, they haven't been effective pitchers since 2005...

Foulke You
10-22-2008, 01:07 PM

Mulder was better than decent. He averaged 16 wins per season from 2000 thru 2005. He also has a 21 win season and a 19 win season on his resume. He is only 31 years old and has a track record of staying healthy in the past. Injuries have wrecked his 2006-2008 campaigns but it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he can make another healthy run. If you can sign him cheap with incentives, I don't see the harm in adding more pitching depth to have someone compete with Broadway and Richard in Spring Training. If he is a bust in Cactus League and has nothing left, at worst he ends up pitching for AAA Charlotte or you release him. However, the upside is if the old Mulder returns, you could have another 15-18 wins in your rotation for a bargain basement price.

Teams bring in veteran pitchers all the time to Spring Training to compete for rotation spots and I think this coming year the White Sox would be smart to do this given the injury to Jose Contreras. Sometimes you hit paydirt and get 21 wins out of an Esteban Loaiza. Other times, you end up with Tomo Ohka, Gil Heredia, or Hideo Nomo who never saw the light of day in a White Sox uniform outside of Spring Training.

SoxNation05
10-22-2008, 05:16 PM
no, we're just going to continue to patchwork holes and "go for it" every year.

But seriously, why do we need either mulder or prior, they haven't been effective pitchers since 2005...
2005!!!!!

khan
10-22-2008, 07:24 PM
You raise some good points, but I'd rather invest in scouting and player development so that when the need arises, we have options in our farm system rather than taking a flier on veterans with histories of major arm injuries. The lack of depth in our farm system is, in my opinion, the main issue which needs to be addressed.

Oh, I agree with you. Which is EXACTLY why a reasonably-priced-veteran-SP is a must for 2009. Particularly when you consider that the team has only 4 big league-vetted/healthy SPs as I type this.

IMO, neither Richard nor Broadway nor Poreda are ready for the rigors of 30 starts at the big league level, for various reasons. Hence, I'd rather have a cheap vet @ the 5th spot to start 2009 instead of any of the youngsters getting their brains beaten every 5 days. I'd rather that the club take their time with these guys instead of rushing them to the bigs. Or at a minimum, that only ONE of these three is in the bullpen to start 2009.

This gives the big club an experienced arm to start the season, and gives Richard/Broadway/Poreda more time to learn in AAA. It also gives KW perhaps another tradeable piece to use in a deal.

Now, for 2010, I'd rather have Richard or Broadway or Poreda as the #5. By that time, perhaps Poreda can learn a 3rd pitch, or maybe he'll be groomed for the bullpen. Maybe Richard can gain better command of his secondary pitches. Maybe KW can sucker some other GM into taking Broadway as part of a trade. Meanwhile, one would hope that the system would identify some other arms that can vie for a 6th or 7th spot in the rotation's "depth chart."

khan
10-22-2008, 07:35 PM
No, we're just going to continue to patchwork holes and "go for it" every year.
Considering the age and salaries of some of the players in the roster, that's EXACTLY what Kenny should do. At least until something of value emerges from the minor league system and/or more money comes off the payroll.

There simply aren't enough moveable parts that would return anything of value at the big league level. There simply aren't enough high-level prospects to foresee this club being competitive based ONLY on what's in the minors. KW HAS to go patchwork through free agency. KW HAS to go for it, since the minor league system has little in it right now.

But seriously, why do we need either Mulder or Prior, they haven't been effective pitchers since 2005...
I can't speak SPECIFICALLY to Mulder or Prior, but in terms of needing a reasonably-priced-veteran-SP:

Because there are only 4 healthy/fully big league-vetted SPs in the 40 man roster, when a team minimally needs 5. Because successful teams have 6 or 7 SP options in the 40 man roster. Because neither Richard nor Poreda nor Broadway appear to be big league ready to start 2009. Because stud SPs cost waaaaay more than they're worth in MLB right now, and for other reasons as well.

palehozenychicty
10-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Considering the age and salaries of some of the players in the roster, that's EXACTLY what Kenny should do. At least until something of value emerges from the minor league system and/or more money comes off the payroll.

There simply aren't enough moveable parts that would return anything of value at the big league level. There simply aren't enough high-level prospects to foresee this club being competitive based ONLY on what's in the minors. KW HAS to go patchwork through free agency. KW HAS to go for it, since the minor league system has little in it right now.

I can't speak SPECIFICALLY to Mulder or Prior, but in terms of needing a reasonably-priced-veteran-SP:

Because there are only 4 healthy/fully big league-vetted SPs in the 40 man roster, when a team minimally needs 5. Because successful teams have 6 or 7 SP options in the 40 man roster. Because neither Richard nor Poreda nor Broadway appear to be big league ready to start 2009. Because stud SPs cost waaaaay more than they're worth in MLB right now, and for other reasons as well.

This is the overall paradigm that the team and organization is in right now. It's not clear what value is on the major league club to address our weaknesses, and it isn't clear what tradeable assets we have in the minors. After the 1990s and the Mitchell Report, it's clear that the game is shifting from a power-laden complex into one where all facets of play are necessary to win. We won't know until next spring what value our roster has for others, but our lack of organizational depth has been a longstanding problem and is hopefully getting addressed.