PDA

View Full Version : Yankees/Cubs exhibition game?

jcw218
10-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Don't know if this should be here or in talking baseball, but there is a possibility of the flubs playing an exhibition game or games in the New Yankee Stadium. Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3656197)

DumpJerry
10-21-2008, 09:53 PM
It'll snow, it'll snow.....

The real opener of the new YS is on my birthday!

Rdy2PlayBall
10-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Wow... I hate the Cubs even more now. :scratch:

GoGoCrede
10-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Could be the first time I watch a baseball game and root for both teams to lose.

DumpJerry
10-21-2008, 10:09 PM

Could be the first time I watch a baseball game and root for both teams to lose.
Why? It'll be an exhibition game. It does not count. Outside of the Bronx and ESPN, who cares about the first game at YS?

GoGoCrede
10-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Why? It'll be an exhibition game. It does not count. Outside of the Bronx and ESPN, who cares about the first game at YS?

Fans of both those teams, in one stadium? :o:

Steelrod
10-22-2008, 02:09 AM
Why not. They never played in old Yankee Stadium!

cub killer
10-22-2008, 02:09 AM
That'll really cheapen the actual first game that's scheduled against Cleveland. They better not go thru with this. C'mon Selig, have some respect for the integrity of the game. Exhibitions should be in AZ and FL. Only games that matter should be in the teams' home ballparks.

DumpJerry
10-22-2008, 06:38 AM
Why not. They never played in old Yankee Stadium!
1932 and 1938 saw the Cubs in the original Yankee Stadium.

kittle42
10-22-2008, 08:44 AM
That'll really cheapen the actual first game that's scheduled against Cleveland. They better not go thru with this. C'mon Selig, have some respect for the integrity of the game. Exhibitions should be in AZ and FL. Only games that matter should be in the teams' home ballparks.

MLB has been playing the last preseason game in several actual parks for the past several years. Agreed, though, that it is silly to have an opener of a new stadium be an exhibition.

Law11
10-22-2008, 09:02 AM

They'll do this simply to try to get the kinks out of the system before the actual first game. Make sure everything is up and running etc.

champagne030
10-22-2008, 09:09 AM

I was there when the White Sox opened Miller Park, with an exhibition, in 2001. I didn't see anything wrong with it. :shrug:

kobo
10-22-2008, 09:25 AM
You hate them more because the Yankess want to play the Cubs in an exhibition game in their new stadium? Yeah, that makes sense.

kittle42
10-22-2008, 09:52 AM
You hate them more because the Yankess want to play the Cubs in an exhibition game in their new stadium? Yeah, that makes sense.

People will Cubbie-hate for any reason. I wonder if anyone would care if the opposition had been the Orioles or something.

SOXPHILE
10-22-2008, 10:45 AM
They can market it as "History Unfolds: History's Best Team vs. History's Worst Team

bigsoxfan420
10-22-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't understand why the Yankees would want this game to be with the Cubs. What sort of history do they have, other than Baba Ruth hitting a home run at Wrigley Field. It makes me think that MLB is behind this and the Yankees organization is playing second fiddle/mouth piece. Because we all know how much MLB loves the Cubs.

ChiSoxFan81
10-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Come on, guys. That stadium cost over a billion dollars. Besides pillaging the fans, they have to pay for it somehow. What better way than to invite the media machine that is the Scrubs to come play a meaningless game that will bring in big bucks?

I agree that it is a travesty to "open" the stadium with an exhibition. But the almighty dollar is king.

Stoky44
10-22-2008, 11:23 AM
I just think its stupid to open the stadium with a game that doesn't count, it cheapens the opening of the new stadium.

They could play this game at the old stadium... word is they are not doing any sort of demo until spring. The stadium itself won't be torn down until 2010, which doesn't make much sense.

DSpivack
10-22-2008, 11:49 AM
I just think its stupid to open the stadium with a game that doesn't count, it cheapens the opening of the new stadium.

They could play this game at the old stadium... word is they are not doing any sort of demo until spring. The stadium itself won't be torn down until 2010, which doesn't make much sense.

Every stadium does this. The Nats last year had an exhibition game vs the Orioles. It's just to get the kinks out, make sure everything is up and running, etc.

As for demo, it might have something to do with NYC laws, they have to tear it down very carefully, almost piece by piece.

hi im skot
10-22-2008, 12:11 PM
People will always find something to complain about.

PKalltheway
10-22-2008, 12:41 PM
1932 and 1938 saw the Cubs in the original Yankee Stadium.
Don't forget that they also played a 2005 interleague series there too.

Every stadium does this. The Nats last year had an exhibition game vs the Orioles. It's just to get the kinks out, make sure everything is up and running, etc.
Exactly. I remember going to a Reds/Indians exhibition game at Great American in 2003, just before its "official" opening.

kittle42
10-22-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't understand why the Yankees would want this game to be with the Cubs. What sort of history do they have, other than Baba Ruth hitting a home run at Wrigley Field. It makes me think that MLB is behind this and the Yankees organization is playing second fiddle/mouth piece. Because we all know how much MLB loves the Cubs.

Yes, it's a big conspiracy. :rolleyes:

soxfan21
10-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I saw this on ESPN's bottom line last night when I was watching BBTN. Just sorta blew my mind. Wonder how much tickets will cost/ be goin for to see this game?

C-Dawg
10-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Of course, everyone knows the Red Sox should christen the new Yankee Stadium!!

Stoky44
10-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Of course, everyone knows the Red Sox should christen the new Yankee Stadium!!

19 games a season....not enough, give us 2 more. ESPN will cover this thing like o other, i bet at least 6-7 hours of programing.

cub killer
10-23-2008, 06:35 AM
Don't forget that they also played a 2005 interleague series there too.

IIRC, the scrubs got SWEPT by the Yankees in that series. This, in addition to getting owned in every World Series between these 2 clubs.

Since the Yankees' organization absolutely has to have a warm up game there in order to work out the kinks, why not let High Schools or colleges play a coupla games there to test the Stadium out? I think that'd be cool, definitely a heck of an experience for the kids.

I just don't want to hear the media's BS again about the flubs' "storied tradition" and all that garbage. The scrubs are nothing, they are a joke. They are the Mtv, bubble-gum pop of baseball. The cubs are Paris Hilton, the Sox are Robert DeNiro. The cubs are Britney Spears while the Sox are Led Zepellin. If they were TV shows, the Sox are the Sopranos while the cubs are Hannah Montana.

doublem23
10-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Since the Yankees' organization absolutely has to have a warm up game there in order to work out the kinks, why not let High Schools or colleges play a coupla games there to test the Stadium out? I think that'd be cool, definitely a heck of an experience for the kids.

$$$

kittle42
10-23-2008, 09:24 AM
I just don't want to hear the media's BS again about the flubs' "storied tradition" and all that garbage. The scrubs are nothing, they are a joke. They are the Mtv, bubble-gum pop of baseball. The cubs are Paris Hilton, the Sox are Robert DeNiro. The cubs are Britney Spears while the Sox are Led Zepellin. If they were TV shows, the Sox are the Sopranos while the cubs are Hannah Montana.

Replace "Sox" with "Yankees" and I'd agree with you.

Yes, the Sox won a World Series in 2005, putting them well ahead of the Cubs right now, but let's not kid ourselves about the 88 years before that.

ChiSoxFan81
10-23-2008, 09:48 AM
IIRC, the scrubs got SWEPT by the Yankees in that series. This, in addition to getting owned in every World Series between these 2 clubs.

LOL. This reminded me of a Bloodhound Gang song. Fits the Cubs too.

We are "cop rock" we are Screech
We are z. cavaricci
We are laser removed
Tasmanian devil tattoos

We are third string we are puck
We are special people's club
We are the half shirts with
Irreverent spring break top ten lists

We are munsoned we are squat
We are flashing twelve o'clock
We are spread out butt cheeks
Pulled apart so just the air leaks

We are "ishtar" we are tab
We are no right turn on red
We are the moustaches
The beatles grew when they dropped acid

You are the heart dotting "i"
In the word "apologize"
Scribbled drunk on a postcard
Sent from somewhere volcanoes are
I am the heart with no name
Airbrushed on the license plate
Of a subaru that was
Registered in pennsylvania
We are zima we are barf
We are cinderblock yard art
We are baldwin brothers
Not the good one but the others

areilly
10-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Whatever. But if they were going for some kind of historical angle, why not choose any of the Mets, Dodgers, or Giants?

C-Dawg
10-23-2008, 03:39 PM
If it were up to me, the Mets and Yankees should play each other, one game apiece at each new ballpark, before the regular season starts.

EuroSox35
10-23-2008, 07:02 PM
They should do what Wash did and do some minor league game for their test run. Or tie in the WBC or something

soxpride724
10-23-2008, 07:28 PM
This is an exhibition game, who cares who plays who. If Steinbrenner wants to break in his new stadium that way so be it.

areilly
10-23-2008, 10:39 PM
They should do what Wash did and do some minor league game for their test run. Or tie in the WBC or something

In fact, it worked so well for the Nationals, they just stayed in the minor leagues.

Hey-o!

DSpivack
10-23-2008, 11:24 PM

The Nats opened their park with an exhibition game vs the Orioles.

kittle42
10-24-2008, 07:51 AM
This is an exhibition game, who cares who plays who. If Steinbrenner wants to break in his new stadium that way so be it.

We wouldn't even be talking about it if it wasn't the Cubs. Typical.

chisoxfanatic
11-18-2008, 01:43 AM
This is a "done deal" apparently. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3709143)

I want Mags back
11-18-2008, 08:03 AM
This is a "done deal" apparently. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3709143)

from the article

MOD EDIT: Copyrighted text

:rolling:

who you kiddin Hank? Stop pulling Flubs fans legs like that

ChiSoxFan81
11-18-2008, 10:19 AM
from the article

MOD EDIT: Copyrighted text

:rolling:

who you kiddin Hank? Stop pulling Flubs fans legs like that

Did he say it with a straight face? Gotta give him props if he did.

This spectacle is a barf-fest.

Demafrost
11-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Losing for 100 years is pretty historic.

JUribe1989
11-18-2008, 03:50 PM

Clearly you've never watched a Cubs-Twins interleague game. That defines pain.

kittle42
11-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Clearly you've never watched a Cubs-Twins interleague game. That defines pain.

Still, you have to root for the damn Cubs in those games - yuck.

chisoxfanatic
11-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Still, you have to root for the damn Cubs in those games - yuck.
Yes, during the regular season, when we're dealing with standings; but, if it were to come to the World Series, I'd prefer my civic sanity.

kittle42
11-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Yes, during the regular season, when we're dealing with standings; but, if it were to come to the World Series, I'd prefer my civic sanity.

Agreed.

cub killer
11-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Steinbrenner calls the scrubs "one of the greatest". Are you kidding me? Since when is losing for 100 straight years considered "greatest"? What is wrong with these people?

And there's already a flubs delusional who posted after that article that they're gonna win the '09 World Series. They will never cease their stupidity.