PDA

View Full Version : Jim Hendry 4 year extension

JermaineDye05
10-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere

Link (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081020&content_id=3633505&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc)

I'm actually surprised that they extended him. Sure they've won back-to-back titles thanks to him. However also thanks to him their hands are tied with contracts like Fukudome's, Soriano's, etc.

kittle42
10-21-2008, 05:35 PM
I still think he's a good GM.

JermaineDye05
10-21-2008, 05:40 PM

The only thing I think Hendry is good at is throwing around money and making trades wth The Pirates. Aside from that he's mediocre at best IMO.

Brian26
10-21-2008, 08:14 PM
However also thanks to him their hands are tied with contracts like Fukudome's, Soriano's, etc.

I heard some great propagada on WGN over the weekend. It may have been Kap, not sure, blaming the Fukudome contract on the White Sox. Kenny drove up the price. :rolling:

WhiteSox5187
10-21-2008, 08:19 PM
I do too, especially when you look at the shape of the franchise when he took over (2002, no?). He's gotten them within five outs of the World Series and into the playoffs for back to back years for the first time since 1907-1908. While I don't think he is as good a GM as Kenny, he still has done a good job and deserved his contract to be renewed.

kittle42
10-21-2008, 08:58 PM
The only thing I think Hendry is good at is throwing around money and making trades wth The Pirates.

The Ramirez and Lee trades are two of the best of the past 10 years. Give him credit for being the one to make them.

turners56
10-21-2008, 09:38 PM
The only thing I think Hendry is good at is throwing around money and making trades wth The Pirates. Aside from that he's mediocre at best IMO.

Don't forget the Marlins as well.

oeo
10-21-2008, 09:38 PM
The Ramirez and Lee trades are two of the best of the past 10 years. Give him credit for being the one to make them.

I'll give him credit for pouncing on stupidity, sure.

turners56
10-21-2008, 09:39 PM

Yeah, it just so happened that both were dumping salary. Good trades, but overrated as well.

JermaineDye05

Lee was a free agent who he signed. I'll give him credit for that because I don't think he gave him too lucrative of a deal, I believe it was fairly decent to what Lee ended up producing. The Ramirez trade was a steal. The Derosa deal was also pretty good.

These past couple of offseasons though he's just been shelling out money to mediocre pitchers. 21 million to Jason Marquis, 40 Million to Ted Lilly. It's probably not fair to throw Lilly into that category considering he's given them 15+ wins each season. I believe he was a .500 pitcher when he signed with the Cubs though. Fukudome for 48 million. 136 million to Soriano.

I don't know how many of the Cubs big contract players have NTC, I believe Soriano, Lee and Ramirez do.

turners56
I heard some great propagada on WGN over the weekend. It may have been Kap, not sure, blaming the Fukudome contract on the White Sox. Kenny drove up the price. :rolling:

Pfft. I think the Cubs outbid themselves.

turners56
10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Lee was a free agent who he signed. I'll give him credit for that because I don't think he gave him too lucrative of a deal, I believe it was fairly decent to what Lee ended up producing. The Ramirez trade was a steal. The Derosa deal was also pretty good.

These past couple of offseasons though he's just been shelling out money to mediocre pitchers. 21 million to Jason Marquis, 40 Million to Ted Lilly. It's probably not fair to throw Lilly into that category considering he's given them 15+ wins each season. I believe he was a .500 pitcher when he signed with the Cubs though. Fukudome for 48 million. 136 million to Soriano.

I don't know how many of the Cubs big contract players have NTC, I believe Soriano, Lee and Ramirez do.

Lee was traded for Hee Seop Choi dude. The Marquis deal was laughable, but he did produce mediocre value for a decent price in the pitching market of today.

FedEx227
10-21-2008, 10:11 PM

He's also had the benefit of a pretty much blank check while the Tribune was selling the team. Hence the ridiculous back-loading of all the deals.

Nobody else got near making plays for Soriano, DeRosa or Lilly after the Cubs destroyed any other teams offers.

hellview
10-21-2008, 10:14 PM
I think Jim is a solid GM, he's had his goods and his bads but so has every GM.

The Lee and Ramirez deal are two of the best trade of the last 10 years. I don't like the Soriano deal but I understand they needed to make a big splash after 2006. I think people are a being a bit harsh on the Fukadome signing, he had a rough second half, but I think he's still gonna be a decent player. You also gotta think of the money he brings in from Japan, I can't call it a bad signing after 1 year.

Overall I'd call him a pretty good gm, not great but good.

kittle42
10-21-2008, 10:44 PM
I'll give him credit for pouncing on stupidity, sure.

Yeah, it just so happened that both were dumping salary. Good trades, but overrated as well.

Hey, somebody had to pounce on them, and 29 other teams lost the race.

Luis11
10-21-2008, 10:58 PM
How long is MLB going to allow the Tribune Company to spend the new owners money? A four year contract for a GM and Manager that will certainly be replaced by New Ownership.
First the back-loaded contracts...now this...
If I'm a prospective new owner I'm begging to please get the checkbook out of the Tribs hands! Please....

champagne030
10-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Don't forget the Marlins as well.

Nah, the Marlins stiffed the Flubbies in the Pierre trade. And they didn't do too well in the Clement/El Pulpo trade either.

Anyway, I would've really looked around the league if I was Hendry. His resume isn't going to look so good when his contract expires. The Flubs are going to be seriously screwed in a couple of years unless the new ownership plans on bumping payroll into the $160+ area......

WhiteSox5187
10-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Nah, the Marlins stiffed the Flubbies in the Pierre trade. And they didn't do too well in the Clement/El Pulpo trade either.

Anyway, I would've really looked around the league if I was Hendry. His resume isn't going to look so good when his contract expires. The Flubs are going to be seriously screwed in a couple of years unless the new ownership plans on bumping payroll into the $160+ area......
I thought the Cubs got Pierre via free agency? And I thought that was the case with Clement as well, although it wasn't as bad as Dontrelle Willis for Alfonseca.

Upon further research I see that in fact Clement WAS part of that trade...oops! Yea, probably not a good trade.

JermaineDye05
10-22-2008, 01:25 AM
I thought the Cubs got Pierre via free agency? And I thought that was the case with Clement as well, although it wasn't as bad as Dontrelle Willis for Alfonseca.

Upon further research I see that in fact Clement WAS part of that trade...oops! Yea, probably not a good trade.

Nope I believe they traded Ricky Nolasco, Sergio Mitre, and another player for Pierre.

TDog
10-22-2008, 03:46 AM
Argue that Jim Hendry could have done a better job if you will, but it is ridiculous to argue that he doesn't deserve an extension after the Cubs made the postseason in successive years. There might be a debate about the Mets extening Omar Minaya, but I see no reason why anyone should question why the Cubs should be happy with Jim Hendry.

palehozenychicty
10-22-2008, 08:37 AM
He has done enough to make them a postseason factor, which isn't too difficult in a weak league and division. The type of revenue they generate should keep them in the mix for awhile. As for Minaya, I can rant about his incompetence in another thread. :D:

soxpride724
10-22-2008, 08:44 AM

Interesting. I thought it was the Sox that offered him more money. It's not like they outbid us.

russ99
10-22-2008, 10:47 AM
It should be interesting to see how Hendry does with more payroll restraint and the impending sale.

Also, I'm not defending the guy, but the Pierre trade was balanced by the Derek Lee for Hee-Seop Choi steal.

kittle42
10-22-2008, 12:48 PM
It should be interesting to see how Hendry does with more payroll restraint and the impending sale.

Also, I'm not defending the guy, but the Pierre trade was balanced by the Derek Lee for Hee-Seop Choi steal.

Why not defend him? I'd let him GM my team. And [here comes the flame war], I might take him over Williams. They're at least even.

turners56
10-22-2008, 03:12 PM

But they did get Derrek Lee for Hee Seop Choi.

WhiteSox5187
10-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Why not defend him? I'd let him GM my team. And [here comes the flame war], I might take him over Williams. They're at least even.
There are certainly a few GMs I'd take over Williams, but Hendry is not one of them.

jabrch
10-22-2008, 03:46 PM

They are projecting a 150mm + payroll next year. How is that more restraint? Sale will likely loosen the reigns and result in more spending. If I were a GM, and wanted to win, I'd want that job.

jabrch
10-22-2008, 03:48 PM
He has done enough to make them a postseason factor, which isn't too difficult in a weak league and division. The type of revenue they generate should keep them in the mix for awhile.

They won 97 games. That's impressive in any league/division.

champagne030
10-22-2008, 04:02 PM

I agree. I just wouldn't put them in the same light with the Pirates in that the Flubs always rip them off.

Brian26
10-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Interesting. I thought it was the Sox that offered him more money. It's not like they outbid us.

Correct, but Kap's whining point was that the Cubs could have signed him even cheaper if the Sox didn't offer so much. :rolleyes:

Brian26
10-22-2008, 09:43 PM

Kenny's team won the World Series after he tried to patch a team together after letting a high-priced free agent leave.

Hendry the Thief's teams are 0-6 in the post-season after he's broken the bank two years in a row on Soriano and Fukudome.

The comparison isn't even close. KW>Hendry. However, kudos to Hendry for ripping off the Marlins and Pirates for Lee and Ramirez because they didn't want to pay them arbitration.

oeo
10-22-2008, 09:45 PM

What the hell even happened with that guy? Haven't heard much since he collided with Kerry Wood (I think it was Wood).

Tragg
10-22-2008, 09:54 PM
However, kudos to Hendry for ripping off the Marlins and Pirates for Lee and Ramirez because they didn't want to pay them arbitration.
That's his accomplishment.
That and Roy the barber's daughter....

doublem23
10-22-2008, 09:57 PM

I see what you're saying, but in all honesty I think Hendry's best attribute as a GM is that he has a nearly endless supply of payroll to work with. That said, it's hard to argue with a guy who's gotten his team to the post-season two years in a row, an achievement Kenny nor any Sox GM can claim.

Brian26
10-22-2008, 10:08 PM
That said, it's hard to argue with a guy who's gotten his team to the post-season two years in a row, an achievement Kenny nor any Sox GM can claim.

Because the Sox don't play in the NL Central.

champagne030
10-22-2008, 10:26 PM

He's also been lucky. They needed someone just like Reed Johnson last season and he gets released late in ST. Had we had a Reed Johnson in 2006, we're in the playoffs......

That said, Hendry has produced as an above average GM. That might be due to his salary luxury or it might be because of talent evaluation......

doublem23
10-22-2008, 10:59 PM

Fair enough, but let's not pretend like our Central was a ferocious division this year.

PatK
10-24-2008, 02:17 PM
I think Jim is a solid GM, he's had his goods and his bads but so has every GM.

The Lee and Ramirez deal are two of the best trade of the last 10 years. I don't like the Soriano deal but I understand they needed to make a big splash after 2006. I think people are a being a bit harsh on the Fukadome signing, he had a rough second half, but I think he's still gonna be a decent player. You also gotta think of the money he brings in from Japan, I can't call it a bad signing after 1 year.

Overall I'd call him a pretty good gm, not great but good.

Were you in a coma the last two months of the season.

There was almost ZERO interest with Fukudome in Japan with the season he was having by the end of the year.

It was also mentioned that when they were playing their playoff games that the Japanese media wasn't even bothering to cover him.

hellview
10-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Were you in a coma the last two months of the season.

There was almost ZERO interest with Fukudome in Japan with the season he was having by the end of the year.

It was also mentioned that when they were playing their playoff games that the Japanese media wasn't even bothering to cover him.

I really doubt the Japanesse media who follow players from Japan like locus from town to town didn't put any coverage on Fukudome.

PatK
10-24-2008, 03:55 PM
I really doubt the Japanesse media who follow players from Japan like locus from town to town didn't put any coverage on Fukudome.

Here's some mention of it
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/little-interest-in-kosuke-fukudome-in-japan-10-05-2008.html

hellview
10-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Had we had a Reed Johnson in 2006, we're in the playoffs......

The white sox missed the playoffs by 5 games in 2006, Reed Johnson isn't a +5 win player at any point in his career.

champagne030
10-24-2008, 04:20 PM
The white sox missed the playoffs by 5 games in 2006, Reed Johnson isn't a +5 win player at any point in his career.

I guess you missed Mack O' Wack playing CF. His defense blew more than 5 games alone.