PDA

View Full Version : Who is your least hated and most hated rival in our division?

Whitesoxfan23
10-21-2008, 12:24 AM
For me hands down the least hated rival is KC. I'm not a fan or anything, but I hate them much less than the other teams in the AL Central. I was glad to see them get out of the cellar this year. I honestly think that the Royals are going to shock alot of people next season. As for my most hated Rival... Not even close.. The Twins. I hate their dome, I hate their ugly uniforms, I hate everything about that organization. What are yours?

BleacherBandit
10-21-2008, 12:29 AM
For me hands down the least hated rival is KC. I'm not a fan or anything, but I hate them much less than the other teams in the AL Central. I was glad to see them get out of the cellar this year. I honestly think that the Royals are going to shock alot of people next season. As for my most hated Rival... Not even close.. The Twins. I hate their dome, I hate their ugly uniforms, I hate everything about that organization. What are yours?

Royals: Don't have anything against them. Especially because they owned the twins for two straight games at the end of the season.

Tigers: Can't complain about anything about them in particular.

Twins: Hate their fans, Hate their players, hate their cheap ass owner who will now force our boys to play in their new open air baseball park in April--In Minnesota, hate their dome. Hate them. Period.

Indians: I just hate their obnoxious fans. They might be more obnoxious than Twins fans. That stupid drum they play in the bleachers and their heckling of Thome. One of these days I just want to Thome to run into the stands with his bat and teach those ****ers a lesson. I don't have a problem with any of their players or management though.

I want Mags back
10-21-2008, 12:40 AM
I think the Twins for most hated and Royals for least will be a popular answer

chisoxfanatic
10-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Least hated: Royals. Their fans are awesome, even when I went there for two Sox victories last year, and I like that they seem to try to get things going internally instead of having a huge payroll.

Most hated: Easily the Indians, and it's been that way since the mid 90s. I LOVED how they were unable to live up to all of the hype this season.

Sox4ever77
10-21-2008, 01:13 AM
Twins: Hate their fans, Hate their players, hate their cheap ass owner who will now force our boys to play in their new open air baseball park in April--In Minnesota, hate their dome. Hate them. Period.

Did you know for something like 20 years, the Twins played in an open air ballpark? It used to be where the Mall of America now stands. Met Stadium.

hellview
10-21-2008, 08:14 AM

Ive been hearing this from alot of people which makes no sense. You hate the dome, but hate that their new stadium has no roof. Baseball was played for 20 years outside in Minnesota before the dome opened.

asindc
10-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Least hated: Tigers. I went to high school in southwest Michigan, so my HS had Sox fans, Tigers fans, and Cubs fans. Never got much undue grief from Tigers fans. And yes, the Cubs fans were the most obnoxious even back then by general consensus of the Sox and Tiger fans.

Most hated: Twins. They remind me of the old Vikings and Broncos teams in the 70s and 80s that used their natural home weather advantage to gain 1-2 extra victories a year, but were exposed in the playoffs every year. In the Twins case, though, it is much worse because they play in the most unnatural environment in which a baseball team can play.

hellview
10-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Most hated: Twins. They remind me of the old Vikings and Broncos teams in the 70s and 80s that used their natural home weather advantage to gain 1-2 extra victories a year, but were exposed in the playoffs every year. In the Twins case, though, it is much worse because they play in the most unnatural environment in which a baseball team can play.

Ok I have a question cause I've ever heard that until I joined this board. But I've heard people say that the Twins aren't built for the postseason. I just don't get that, how is a team built for 162 games, but not built for a 5 games series?

asindc
10-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Ok I have a question cause I've ever heard that until I joined this board. But I've heard people say that the Twins aren't built for the postseason. I just don't get that, how is a team built for 162 games, but not built for a 5 games series?

Minny has for the past 15 years or so built their organization around developing mostly solid, but not spectacular players. They typical have 1 or 2 stud starters, a stud reliever, and 2 or 3 very good to great offensive players. The rest of the roster is filled with guys who have learned how to play baseball in a way that maximizes their home dome advantage. Nothing wrong with that, of course. (By the way, one of the reasons the Twinkees gave up on David Ortiz is that he failed to hit to the opposite field with consistency. As Ortiz puts it, they tried to turn him into a singles hitter.) This formula works well in the regular season because they will feast on mediocre to bad teams with their solid play. In other words, they will take advantage of bad teams' poor play. They also enjoy an incredible first-game-of-a-series-at-home advantage, the best in baseball if I recall correctly.

This formula is less successful in the playoffs, however, because they are playing nothing but good to great teams who have an entire series to adjust to playing in the dome and on turf. The other teams in the playoffs also play solid baseball, but usually have more firepower to go with it. Hence, the Twinkees disadvantage in the playoffs.

white sox bill
10-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Royals--least disliked team, low payroll and down to earth team. No problem
Indians--Were harmless back many yrs ago, but since built new park, seem condescending at times. Don't mind the City itself though
Tigers- Don't like the city...team doesn't bother me. Always remember fight back in 2000
Twinks--Bad stadium,most disliked team. Like Twin Cities and Vikings. Can't stand Justin,Punto,Hunter etc

Yes I remember when Vikes and Twinks played at Met. Also Mall of America is also where the North Stars played at the Met Center until Norm Greene moved them to Dallas. Both stadiums are history of course

SOXfnNlansing
10-21-2008, 09:40 AM
I like the Royals and Tigers. I really don't like the Indians.

hellview
10-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Minny has for the past 15 years or so built their organization around developing mostly solid, but not spectacular players. They typical have 1 or 2 stud starters, a stud reliever, and 2 or 3 very good to great offensive players. The rest of the roster is filled with guys who have learned how to play baseball in a way that maximizes their home dome advantage. Nothing wrong with that, of course. (By the way, one of the reasons the Twinkees gave up on David Ortiz is that he failed to hit to the opposite field with consistency. As Ortiz puts it, they tried to turn him into a singles hitter.) This formula works well in the regular season because they will feast on mediocre to bad teams with their solid play. In other words, they will take advantage of bad teams' poor play. They also enjoy an incredible first-game-of-a-series-at-home advantage, the best in baseball if I recall correctly.

This formula is less successful in the playoffs, however, because they are playing nothing but good to great teams who have an entire series to adjust to playing in the dome and on turf. The other teams in the playoffs also play solid baseball, but usually have more firepower to go with it. Hence, the Twinkees disadvantage in the playoffs.

I don't care about the Twins I just wanna debate this...

Is that really getting exposed or just having the best team come playoff time. Have the Yankees been exposed for the last 5 years, or is 5 games an small smapling where anything can happen.

The Royals could beat the 1927 Yankees in a 5 games series cause at anytime a team can get very hot or very cold.

I'll always continue to believe that the playoffs are just a massive crapshoot. There's a reason that since 1992 only 2 teams that lead the regular season in wins went on to win the World Series(98 Yankees & 2007 Red Sox)

whitesox901
10-21-2008, 09:51 AM
I ****ing hate them all

1. Twins
2. Tigers
3. Indians
4. Royals

asindc
10-21-2008, 10:09 AM
I don't care about the Twins I just wanna debate this...

Is that really getting exposed or just having the best team come playoff time. Have the Yankees been exposed for the last 5 years, or is 5 games an small smapling where anything can happen.

The Royals could beat the 1927 Yankees in a 5 games series cause at anytime a team can get very hot or very cold.

I'll always continue to believe that the playoffs are just a massive crapshoot. There's a reason that since 1992 only 2 teams that lead the regular season in wins went on to win the World Series(98 Yankees & 2007 Red Sox)

While I generally agree that a single 5-game or 7-game series is much more subject to chance than the 162-game regular season, I base my opinion on the following:

2002: Lost to Anaheim 4-1 in ALCS (won ALDS 3-2 over Oakland);

2003: Lost to New York 3-1 in ALDS;

2004: Lost to New York 3-1 in ALDS; and

2006: Lost to Oakland 3-0 in ALDS.

These are the only playoff series the Twinkees have played in since winning the WS in 1991. They have won only one series in 4 trips to the postseason since then. Their playoff record in these 4 years is 6-15. Other than the series they won, they have failed to win more than one game in a series. That represents a pattern to me, rather than a random set of results.

JGarlandrules20
10-21-2008, 11:18 AM
It's a toss up for me depending on how good each team is that season. :tongue:

Has anyone noticed how much the sox are collectively hated by the other team's fans? I'm sure if you asked this to Twins/Tigers/Royals/Indians fans the sox would win the title as most hated by a landslide. At least that's what I've picked up on from those fans.

It doesn't make sense to me because it's not like we've won much. Maybe it's just the fact we're always competitive and they seem to hate on Ozzie/AJ/Hawk a lot.

ChiSoxFan81
10-21-2008, 11:56 AM
It's weird, because our "rival" has changed over the years. It pretty much depends on who is competing with us or happens to rub you the wrong way at the time. Right now, it's obviously the Twinks. In the 90s, definitely the Toons. KC no one cares about because they've never won. Even that one year they challenged for the first half, I didn't see them as a rival. The Tigers get a little hate because of prior brawls and beating us out in '06, but they've been generally bad too.

Ten years from now, we might be cursing those damn Royals.

soxfan21
10-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Least hated: KC, most hated: Twins, but as stated before the rivalry seems to change over the years, next year it might be the Twins and Cleveland, but we'll have to wait and see.

chisoxmike
10-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Most hated: Twins. Everything about them. Always have, always will. Even if they finish in last place for 10 years, they'll still be my most hated sports team.

Least hated: I guess the Royals, but I could probably find some hate for them. I'm not a fan of their park at all.

The Tigers fans are quickly crawling up my list as hated fan bases.

PKalltheway
10-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Most Hated: Twins, by far.

Least Hated: Tigers.

I've never cared for the Royals. As for the Indians, I don't really hate the team, I just hate Cleveland fans in general.

chisox616
10-21-2008, 02:53 PM
I dunno, I got heckled pretty bad by some KC fans when I went to Kauffman in July, but they were beyond wasted and no one else was really that bad. Just the drunks. Plus, going to school at Mizzou, a lot of my friends like KC, so in the end, I don't have anything against them.

Right now I wanna say Twins, but overall I might have to go with the Indians. I mean, booing Thome is...pretty low. No doubt he did a ton for that club. And all those Indian 'chants' they do...yeesh. Although some would argue we have them to thank for 2005 so I dunno.

Hitmen77
10-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Royals: Don't have anything against them. Especially because they owned the twins for two straight games at the end of the season.

Tigers: Can't complain about anything about them in particular.

Indians: I just hate their obnoxious fans. They might be more obnoxious than Twins fans. That stupid drum they play in the bleachers and their heckling of Thome. One of these days I just want to Thome to run into the stands with his bat and teach those ****ers a lesson. I don't have a problem with any of their players or management though.

Agreed.

turners56
10-21-2008, 03:29 PM
I think everybody will say the Twins as their most hated. Least hated has to be KC until they find a way to win consistently again.

thomas35forever
10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Least Hated: The Tigers since we always seem to own them.

Most Hated: The Twins. No explanation needed.

BleacherBandit
10-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Ive been hearing this from alot of people which makes no sense. You hate the dome, but hate that their new stadium has no roof. Baseball was played for 20 years outside in Minnesota before the dome opened.

There are two options that would make it better:

1. Have Pohlad not insist on the state paying for a lot of the stadium's cost, which will only be enough to build an outdoor stadium

2. Buckle up, and build a retractable roof stadium, which is pretty much the best option, if you'd like to see some sunlight. I suggest this. However, these are tough economic times, but they decided to build it now anyways.

For me, it's not a hatred towards domes in general, just the Metrodome. Sure, domes are hated by lots of people, but I would have many less complaints if it wasn't so freaking ugly.

illini81887
10-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Most Hated:Twins

Least Hated:Royals

GoGoCrede
10-21-2008, 06:25 PM
KC Royals are my least hated, mainly because they let our boys stay in the division late this year when we couldn't win a game against Cleveland. If you had told me that Minnesota would sweep us but then drop 2 against Kansas City I'd think you were nuts. But if the Royals emerge strong next year, I'm sure I'll find a way to hate them.

Twins are my most hated for obvious reasons, but I'll name a few this season:

- One of them (may have been Punto or Gomez) said that going down to Chicago for the tiebreaker was no problem, that they'd just have to celebrate on our turf.

- Celebrating like they'd won the WS after they swept us. They thought they were on easy street. Come to think of it, it fired up our boys big time and worked out in our favor.

- Gomez sniffing his bat. Just annoying

- Mauer called our fans "brutal" at the tiebreaker, but Twins fans were the ones who tossed caps and other crap on the field in July, causing Ozzie to pull his players off the field.

- Nathan whining about the coin toss

First time we play them next season will be very, very interesting.

chisoxfanatic
10-21-2008, 06:27 PM
2. Buckle up, and build a retractable roof stadium, which is pretty much the best option, if you'd like to see some sunlight. I suggest this. However, these are tough economic times, but they decided to build it now anyways.
I've heard that Minnesota tax payers were not wanting to foot the bill for the extra cost a retractable roof would cost, so they did away with the idea. I don't understand why the tax payers of Minnesota have to pay the entire bill, though. Pohland certainly has enough money to foot the bill of that retractable roof himself! I've read reports on him actually being one of the richest owners in sports! I seriously think that a ton of owners are greedy ****ers who like having people who make less than 0.1% of their gross annual salary pay for everything they have.

Bucky F. Dent
10-21-2008, 08:37 PM
K.C., least
Twins, most

MarySwiss
10-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Cleveland least. The AL version of the Cubs.

Twins most.

nccwsfan
10-21-2008, 09:10 PM
:notwinks

Respect them but don't like them. The other teams are fine as long as they finish below the White Sox

Red Barchetta
10-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Least hated - The Royals primarily because I was a big George Brett fan growing up. Plus, I always liked their ballpark and I'm glad they decided to renovate it instead of following the retro trend.

Most hated - The Indians mostly because their fans are the most obnoxious. I've been to many divisional games at the Cell and it seems like the Indians crowds are the most rowdy. During the Indians division champions after the Jake opened, we would get big crowds of Indians fans. I remember a few fights breaking out in the beer lines, etc.

I don't like the Twins or their dome, however the fans seem a little more respectful when the visit the Cell.