PDA

View Full Version : Who's the surprise team in 2009?

ChiSox89
10-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Since 2005, each World Series has had a surprising team in it.

'05: Our White Sox and the Astros
'06: Tigers
'07: Rockies
'08: Rays
'09: ????

If I had to pick one surprise team to make the Series, I'd pick the Reds. They have a good young offense and one more stater and a couple of bullpen guys could really help them contend.

Who's your surprise team?

RadioheadRocks
10-20-2008, 11:26 PM

If I had to pick one surprise team to make the Series, I'd pick the Reds. They have a good young offense and one more stater and a couple of bullpen guys could really help them contend.

Since no one in the "outside world" seems to notice us, how about... the White Sox!!!!!!

LoveYourSuit
10-20-2008, 11:28 PM
KC.

Same Recipe as the TB, young and hungry.

They are putting a pretty nice starting roation together over there. Ask the Twins how good KC was down the stretch.

Add the fact that their stadium is getting a complet face lift...... Good things might be happenin in KC.

If not, I still can't wait to make my annual road trip up there to feast on some BBQ.

pmck003
10-20-2008, 11:41 PM

I like the Reds too (thought they would contend this year); Wonder what Baltimore will do this offseason.

BleacherBandit
10-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Could you imagine a White Sox-Reds World Series? That would stink for anybody who's not a fan of either team.

RadioheadRocks
10-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Could you imagine a White Sox-Reds World Series? That would stink for anybody who's not a fan of either team.

... in which case they can just build a bridge and get over it! :D:

LoveYourSuit
10-21-2008, 12:26 AM

I think that can be said for every possible match-up...like the one this year.

The ultimate match-up for the entire US and some parts of the world would be a Cubs vs Red Sox / Yankees Series. I think that would even out-draw (ratings) a Cubs vs White Sox series....sad to say.

chisoxfanatic
10-21-2008, 12:57 AM
I think that can be said for every possible match-up...like the one this year.

The ultimate match-up for the entire US and some parts of the world would be a Cubs vs Red Sox / Yankees Series. I think that would even out-draw (ratings) a Cubs vs White Sox series....sad to say.
I'd just LOVE to see a TB/Cincy World Series at some point just to see how pissed off ESPN and FOX would get.

Sox4ever77
10-21-2008, 01:18 AM
KC.

They are putting a pretty nice starting roation together over there. Ask the Twins how good KC was down the stretch.

Add the fact that their stadium is getting a complet face lift...... Good things might be happenin in KC.

If not, I still can't wait to make my annual road trip up there to feast on some BBQ.

There is only one good BBQ in KC, Gates!!! :)

Whitesoxfan23
10-21-2008, 01:37 AM
I already love Kauffman Stadium. It's about to get even more nice...

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-21-2008, 03:18 AM
I'd say KC as well. Just a matter of time before they break out like the Rays.

doublem23
10-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Marlins

DumpJerry
10-21-2008, 06:31 AM
I'd say KC as well. Just a matter of time before they break out like the Rays.
Nope. Unlike the Rays who hold onto their players, the Royals trade their good ones away (and the mediocre ones to the White Sox).

hellview
10-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Toronto if the finally add a bat.

But I'll go with the Indians, a healthy Victor, Hafner, Carmona, Westbrooke. If they fill the holes at 2b and 3b I think they'll be dominate again.

ode to veeck
10-21-2008, 07:29 AM
the white sox of course

itsnotrequired
10-21-2008, 07:50 AM
I'd just LOVE to see a TB/Cincy World Series at some point just to see how pissed off ESPN and FOX would get.

Why would ESPN care? They aren't showing any playoff games.

Craig Grebeck
10-21-2008, 07:55 AM
The Royals don't have the talent the Rays do. It's not happening for awhile.

palehozenychicty
10-21-2008, 08:54 AM
The Royals don't have the talent the Rays do. It's not happening for awhile.

Exactly. There's nobody in that lineup that you have to worry about on a daily basis. Iwamura-Upton-Crawford-Longoria-Pena-Navarro-Bartlett is as balanced a lineup as there is in the game.

I think the Marlins will finally get the pitching needed to beat out the Phillies next year. All of their starters were hurt for most of 2008. If they tighten up that defense with a trade or two, then an all-Florida WS could happen some day?! :o:

btrain929
10-21-2008, 09:25 AM
I'll say the Reds like everyone else, but also add a new team: the Braves. They are starting to build a good young nucleus over there with McCann, Johnson, Escobar, Kotchman, Franceour, etc. They also have a good farm system. I see them being active with FA's and trades this offseason to fix that rotation and put them back on the map.

ChiSoxFan81
10-21-2008, 09:52 AM
2009 World Series

Pirates vs. Rangers

whitesox901
10-21-2008, 09:53 AM
The White Sox

doublem23
10-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Toronto if the finally add a bat.

But I'll go with the Indians, a healthy Victor, Hafner, Carmona, Westbrooke. If they fill the holes at 2b and 3b I think they'll be dominate again.

I'm tempted to say Toronto, but Burnett will leave and Marcum is out for the year, so I'd say they won't be ready to make another run again until 2010.

palehozenychicty
10-21-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm tempted to say Toronto, but Burnett will leave and Marcum is out for the year, so I'd say they won't be ready to make another run again until 2010.

Bingo. They have to fill two holes in that rotation and get a true left fielder for that outfield. Ricciardi will unfortunately get one more year to do that.

hellview
10-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Bingo. They have to fill two holes in that rotation and get a true left fielder for that outfield. Ricciardi will unfortunately get one more year to do that.

They have Adam Lind and and the monster prospect Travis Snider to fill LF and DH. I think Burnett will be back, they have good pitching depth, they just need offense.

Maybe sign Giambi and let Snider play 2009 at AAA, get a real SS and 2b and IMO they're right up there with TB, NY and Boston.

LoveYourSuit
10-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I think the Blue Jays with an $80-90 million payroll and a history of being a very good franchise plus the fact they still have the best pitcher in baseball ......... I don't think that's a surprise at all.

KC, Cin, Pit, Tex, Florida ,,,,, that would be huge surprise.

johnnyg83
10-21-2008, 11:30 AM
I'll join the Reds rally cry. Good arms in the rotation. Lots of young talent in the field. They're a lot like the Rays ...

hellview
10-21-2008, 11:30 AM
I think the Blue Jays with an $80-90 million payroll and a history of being a very good franchise plus the fact they still have the best pitcher in baseball ......... I don't think that's a surprise at all.

KC, Cin, Pit, Tex, Florida ,,,,, that would be huge surprise.

The Giants have a 80-90 million dollar payroll, a history of being a good franchise and have one of the best pitchers in baseball too.

I know I'd be pretty surprised if they won the NL West next season.

oeo
10-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Marlins

That's who I'm saying. Although it wouldn't be a Rays like surprise since they've been gradually improving. But...1997, 2003, and now it's 2009, so it's about that time the Marlins make their push.

doublem23
10-21-2008, 12:51 PM
That's who I'm saying. Although it wouldn't be a Rays like surprise since they've been gradually improving. But...1997, 2003, and now it's 2009, so it's about that time the Marlins make their push.

The Rays are a historic surprise team; only a few teams would be as surprising as Tampa Bay if they were to make it, like Pittsburgh, Kansas City, or maybe Washington, since they've been miserable for so long. It's very unlikely we'll see someone as surprising as the Rays advance to the World Series for some time.

PKalltheway
10-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm really liking the Reds for next year. For the first time in ages, they have a solid rotation, and they have a decent lineup going into next year. A couple of questions I have about the Reds for next year is whether or not Harang can bounce back from his down year this year, and whether or not Homer Bailey can finally pull his head out of his ass, and pitch effectively. All they basically need him to do is be a decent #5 guy, and he still hasn't proven that he can throw strikes at the major league level yet.

Their bullpen needs to turn it around, too. For the first time in ages, they have a closer in Francisco Cordero, not just a shuffle between David Weathers and Todd Coffey. Bill Bray is a solid setup man as well.

Corey Patterson is FINALLY gone as well, so his lack of presence in the lineup should make the team somewhat better. Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, and Edwin Encarnicon all look to improve next year, too. Brandon Phillips should continue to put up solid numbers as well. Ryan Freel is the closest thing to a lead-off man they have, so he should be serviceable in the lead-off spot. The only criticism of the Reds' lineup in recent memory is that they have been too home run reliant in recent years, but Bruce and Votto look to be better all-around hitters, instead of your prototypical all-or-nothing home run hitters.

Dusty Baker did okay managing the pitching staff this year, but the only criticism that many people around here had of him is that he inexpliciably left Corey Patterson in the starting lineup wayyyy too long.

The Rays' bullpen cutting their collective bullpen ERA in half is a big reason why they are where they are this year. If the Reds can stabilize their pitching, and their lineup continues to produce (i.e. become more of a complete lineup, and not just club 200-230 homers per year) they should be pretty solid next year.

SoxSpeed22
10-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Houston was really close to beating out Milwaukee and the Mets for the wild card until Hurricane Ike happened. If they can land Jake Peavy and resign Valverde, they will be a team to be reckoned with, with that offense.

LITTLE NELL
10-21-2008, 02:56 PM
The Cubs will surprise with a major meltdown and will finish under .500.

oeo
10-21-2008, 03:03 PM
The Cubs will surprise with a major meltdown and will finish under .500.

If that happens, Piniella will be gone sometime in 2010. And in defense of the Cubs, for once, it would be the right move. Unlike Dusty, who was a bad manager, Piniella actually has a championship caliber team to work with. Dusty almost took that 2003 team, which was very mediocre, to the World Series. Piniella had the best team in the NL in 2008 and couldn't win a game. Some will say it's the players, and that's part of it, but the manager has to prepare the troops.

johnnyg83
10-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Be nice to see the NL central get strong throughout.

FedEx227
10-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Marlins or Royals.

turners56
10-21-2008, 03:28 PM
KC.

I agree.

palehozenychicty
10-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Marlins or Royals.

I really like their team, if they get a healthy rotation to start 2009 and tighten up the infield defense, then they could be NL champs next year.

Whitesoxfan23
10-21-2008, 04:18 PM
I'll say the Reds like everyone else, but also add a new team: the Braves. They are starting to build a good young nucleus over there with McCann, Johnson, Escobar, Kotchman, Franceour, etc. They also have a good farm system. I see them being active with FA's and trades this offseason to fix that rotation and put them back on the map.

The Braves and Cardinals are my favorite NL teams. I sure would like to see the Braves get back on track next season. If they can stay healthy for a change, they have a great shot at it.

AzureJazzMan
10-21-2008, 08:25 PM
I may as well chip in here. The two surprise teams in the playoffs next year...the Rangers and Giants.

chisoxfanatic
10-21-2008, 09:02 PM
I may as well chip in here. The two surprise teams in the playoffs next year...the Rangers and Giants.
If the Rangers can get some pitching, that is. I still think it's absurd to think about surprise teams of the next year when this year's not complete yet.

FedEx227
10-21-2008, 09:55 PM
I really like their team, if they get a healthy rotation to start 2009 and tighten up the infield defense, then they could be NL champs next year.

That's the big thing for me, they have absolutely the WORST infield defense I've ever seen.

Dan Uggla is horrendous, people thought the All-Star Game was bad, try watching a couple games of him.

and Hanley, despite being an amazing offensive player, is VERY weak at that position. I still like their chances though, but they really need to find a way to tighten it up a bit, but if you lose Uggla you love a big part of that offense.

october23sp
10-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Rangers and Tigers. If any 3 pitchers on either team get hot or either team acquires one we should look out.

Brian26
10-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Could you imagine a White Sox-Reds World Series?

I bet the Sox wouldn't have a chance

oeo
10-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Rangers and Tigers. If any 3 pitchers on either team get hot or either team acquires one we should look out.

The Tigers have one of the highest payrolls in baseball. That's your surprise team?

Besides, the Tigers problems go beyond just three pitchers.

october23sp
10-21-2008, 10:54 PM
The Tigers have one of the highest payrolls in baseball. That's your surprise team?

They have a high payroll but noone including most people here think they will do anything.

palehozenychicty
10-22-2008, 08:30 AM

They need about 8 pitchers. Their bullpen especially is shot. Their starters are weak aside from Verlander and Galarraga had a respectable year, but can he do it again? Bonderman still can't throw a change-up. I can't understand why they traded Jurrens for Renteria, when they needed starters.

johnr1note
10-22-2008, 09:22 AM
No one picked the Nats. If they went to the Series, now THAT would be a surprise!

palehozenychicty
10-22-2008, 11:22 AM
No one picked the Nats. If they went to the Series, now THAT would be a surprise!

It'd be more unprecedented than Tampa. The world may just end.
Their roster could lose to a good double-A squad. There may not be a more atrocious or directionless franchise in the game.

Craig Grebeck
10-22-2008, 11:30 AM
It'd be more unprecedented than Tampa. The world may just end.
Their roster could lose to a good double-A squad. There may not be a more atrocious or directionless franchise in the game.
It all starts at the top. They have a terrible GM and have very few worthy prospects throughout the entire system. How Bowden still has a job is beyond me.

palehozenychicty
10-22-2008, 01:33 PM
It all starts at the top. They have a terrible GM and have very few worthy prospects throughout the entire system. How Bowden still has a job is beyond me.

You see that now with Tampa. Sure, they had the chance to draft high for years, but they didn't blossom until they got an owner and management team that knew what they were doing and stuck to their guns. It's not easy, but that's really all it is for a team to be successful.

I don't know how any owner with a tenth of a brain believes in Jim Bowden. The Lerners' stewardship has been lame.

Sox4ever77
10-22-2008, 01:58 PM

After the crappy way Dud Selig treated that franchise, no owners for 2-3 years and tv/radio deal since he gave the rights to the O's owner, they are just barely recovering from that.

They can't do it overnight.

jabrch
10-22-2008, 03:33 PM
If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise.

Rockabilly
10-22-2008, 04:18 PM
I am going to say the Blue Jays...

getonbckthr
10-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Houston Astros.

HomeFish
10-22-2008, 06:05 PM
I am going to say the Blue Jays...

The Blue Jays are the perennial favorites to be a surprise team. They have never put it together.

Boondock Saint
10-22-2008, 10:32 PM

The Braves are my pick, as well. I don't think they were as bad as their record, and have quickly and quietly rebuilt.