PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Alexi

ChiSox89
10-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Alexei Ramirez's glove flip play vs. Texas was named Baseball tonights #1 Web gem of the year:bandance::bandance::bandance:

oeo
10-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Alexei's infant son is making web gems already? Sign the kid up.

turners56
10-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Alexi Ramirez's glove flip play vs. Texas was named Baseball tonights #1 Web gem of the year:bandance::bandance::bandance:

But it wasn't even on ESPN's top 10 plays list? :scratch:

Konerko05
10-20-2008, 08:19 PM
John Danks was also a nominee for the pitcher position. The play when he charged in hard for the bunt and dove to tag the runner trying to score. I can't remember who it was against.

I thought A.J. should have been a nominee for the catcher position. There were several plays consisting of the catcher getting run over and holding on to the ball. A.J.'s was a little more difficult as he basically came up with the ball and got hit by the runner at the same time. In terms of importance, it could have been the difference between the Sox winning the division or going home.

chisoxfanatic
10-20-2008, 08:36 PM
John Danks was also a nominee for the pitcher position. The play when he charged in hard for the bunt and dove to tag the runner trying to score. I can't remember who it was against.
That was in the top of the 2nd inning in that Friday night game against Tampa (Elvis Night). I'd say that was one of the top 5 best plays of the season.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Still can't spell it right huh? :tongue: That's ok. :wink:

Alexei is probably one of my FAVORITE Sox players. I REALLY hope he can get Rookie of the Year, but I think Longoria has that taken. :(: For Christmas... I'm probably getting 2 jerseys, should I get Ramirez and Quentin... or Ramirez and Griffey just cause he's Griffey? @_@

whitesox901
10-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Still can't spell it right huh? :tongue: That's ok. :wink:

Alexei is probably one of my FAVORITE Sox players. I REALLY hope he can get Rookie of the Year, but I think Longoria has that taken. :(: For Christmas... I'm probably getting 2 jerseys, should I get Ramirez and Quentin... or Ramirez and Griffey just cause he's Griffey? @_@

May i suggest all three :D:

Alexai is one of my favs now too

chisoxfanatic
10-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Still can't spell it right huh? :tongue:

Alexai is one of my favs now too
I'm not saying, just saying! :redneck

BleacherBandit
10-20-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm not saying, just saying! :redneck

No way! Alexaeii is one of my favs too!

Nellie_Fox
10-20-2008, 11:53 PM
I'd fix the thread title, but anyone who hasn't learned how to spell his name by this point deserves to have it out there for all to see.

oeo
10-21-2008, 12:02 AM
I'd fix the thread title, but anyone who hasn't learned how to spell his name by this point deserves to have it out there for all to see.

Buerhle agrees.

BleacherBandit
10-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Buerhle agrees.

Do Die and Tomme agree as well?

oeo
10-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Do Die and Tomme agree as well?

LOL, Tomme? Haven't seen that one yet...that's awful.

But Denks definitely agrees.

chisoxfanatic
10-21-2008, 01:00 AM
But Denks definitely agrees.
I dunno, I might have to ask Ay Jay Peerzinsky. :tongue:

esbrechtel
10-21-2008, 08:00 AM
What about Aaron Wassermannnn does he agree?

eriqjaffe
10-21-2008, 08:29 AM
What about Aaron Wassermannnn does he agree?Yeah, and so do Mike McDougal and Javier Vasquez.

MeteorsSox4367
10-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Or according to Dick Stockton and his henna rinse hair, White Sox catcher A.G. Pierzynski.

Frontman
10-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Alexei's play (and Konerko's bare-handed grap) deserved it; as did Danks' dive for home.

I still think they could of included Brian Anderson's dive in game #163. They showed a number of diving plays, but was an entire season hanging on the player making the catch?

I don't think so.

hi im skot
10-21-2008, 09:24 AM
This thread needs more mispelled player names.

No, not really.

oeo
10-21-2008, 09:26 AM
This thread needs more mispelled player names.

No, not really.

If you say so, hai i'm scot.

hi im skot
10-21-2008, 09:27 AM
If you say so, hai i'm scot.

:lol:

hellview
10-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I still think they could of included Brian Anderson's dive in game #163. They showed a number of diving plays, but was an entire season hanging on the player making the catch?

I don't think so.

Yeah but on one was on base that would have tied the game if BA doesn't catch that ball.

It's not like BA saved the season by making that catch.

ChiSoxFan81
10-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Adolfo Soriano approves of this thread.

Frontman
10-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Yeah but on one was on base that would have tied the game if BA doesn't catch that ball.

It's not like BA saved the season by making that catch.

Do not diminish the greatness of BA

I still think it should of been in consideration. Some of the other catches were not final outs of a game; much less ones in a pressure situation.

soxfan21
10-21-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm happy Alexi got the #1 web gem of the year, kinda hard to believe it though because I was watching this last night on BBTN and was surprised that they gave a sox player the #1 web gem over the bo sox or the cubs, it was a great play though.

hellview
10-21-2008, 12:14 PM
I was watching this last night on BBTN and was surprised that they gave a sox player the #1 web gem over the bo sox or the cubs, it was a great play though.

You just had to say didn't ya...

I still think it should of been in consideration. Some of the other catches were not final outs of a game; much less ones in a pressure situation.

Yeah but how what is a pressure situation, Ba doesn't make that catch and at worst Casilla is at 1st base. They're still two outs and a guy on 1st. It's not like the catch saved a run, and kept the Sox season alive.

It was a nice catch, but come on.

doublem23
10-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Yeah but how what is a pressure situation, Ba doesn't make that catch and at worst Casilla is at 1st base. They're still two outs and a guy on 1st. It's not like the catch saved a run, and kept the Sox season alive.

:?:

It's still a 1-run lead in a do or die game against a team that had swept us less than 2 weeks ago.

Great catch in a big situation. Way more impressive than a great catch in the middle of June.

Frontman
10-21-2008, 02:13 PM
You just had to say didn't ya...

Considering that in Minnesota; the Sox led in 2 of the 3 games; only to see it fall apart only a week earlier?

Yeah, a missed catch COULD cost the game at that point.

And like someone else said, a final catch of the regular season in a playoff game is more impressive than a dive in June to end an inning.

turners56
10-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Did Olando Cabrara get nominated? He's always the overrated one. What about Nick Squisher?

BadBobbyJenks
10-21-2008, 04:41 PM
:gulp:It is a party in this thread:gulp:

Oh the hilarity of spelling players' names wrong.

ChiSoxGirl
10-21-2008, 08:38 PM
:gulp:It is a party in this thread:gulp:

Oh the hilarity of spelling players' names wrong.

Sure is! Don't forget your namesake... Bobby Jinks! :wink:

turners56
10-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Sure is! Don't forget your namesake... Bobby Jinks! :wink:

Gosh! Spell it right you uneducated person! It's Booby Jynx! You know, like the Pokemon!

http://www.x-entertainment.com/updates/pics/shrek2/jynx.jpg

ChiSoxGirl
10-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Gosh! Spell it right you uneducated person! It's Booby Jynx! You know, like the Pokemon!

:rolling: Nice!

BleacherBandit
10-22-2008, 12:00 AM

That is the worst Pokemon ever. Really, it is. It looks like a tranny opera singer.

drewcifer
10-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Hasn't this been going on for like 2 days now?

*Edit - And I see the guy took the time to correct the #1 post. *** are we doing here?

Nellie_Fox
10-22-2008, 12:17 AM

*Edit - And I see the guy took the time to correct the #1 post. *** are we doing here?It's the off-season.

Boondock Saint
10-22-2008, 12:20 AM
This thread makes my head explode.

oeo
10-22-2008, 12:23 AM

*Edit - And I see the guy took the time to correct the #1 post. *** are we doing here?

Kicking ass and taking names.

Nellie_Fox
10-22-2008, 01:23 AM
He can fix it in his post, but the evidence remains in the thread title.

Konerko05
10-22-2008, 01:49 AM
He can fix it in his post, but the evidence remains in the thread title.

Come on Nelli Fox, cut the guy some slack.

turners56
10-22-2008, 03:15 PM
That is the worst Pokemon ever. Really, it is. It looks like a tranny opera singer.

Nintendo's running out of ideas. You should see the newer Pokemon.

Frontman
10-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Nintendo's running out of ideas. You should see the newer Pokemon.

No thanks. I avoid them if at all possible.

guillensdisciple
10-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Alexei Ramirez and Carlos Quentin will be one of the best 1-2 punches in baseball for years to come. They will be fighting for MVP's.

BadBobbyJenks
10-23-2008, 02:28 AM
Alexei Ramirez and Carlos Quentin will be one of the best 1-2 punches in baseball for years to come. They will be fighting for MVP's.

As much as well all love Alexei, I dont think he will ever be in the running for MVP. He does not walk at all, it will be interesting to see how he handles getting nothing but breaking balls low and away next year.

Quentin on the other hand was a fluke injury away from already having an MVP.

oeo
10-23-2008, 03:35 PM
As much as well all love Alexei, I dont think he will ever be in the running for MVP. He does not walk at all, it will be interesting to see how he handles getting nothing but breaking balls low and away next year.

Those of you that act like he's a swing-out-of-your-shoes Juan Uribe type were not paying attention very well. Not walking does not necessarily mean bad pitch recognition. Alexei is a good example of that, as is Vlad Guerrero.

Yes, he's going to go up there swinging; that's because he's really got a large hitting zone. When behind in the count, though, he becomes more selective in the pitches he swings at. So if your prediction turns out to be true (which it won't), then Alexei will be walking an awful lot next year.

turners56
10-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Those of you that act like he's a swing-out-of-your-shoes Juan Uribe type were not paying attention very well.

Everybody talks about Alexei's ability to adjust in the middle of a game or even in the middle of an at bat...or at least those who watch closely.

I wonder why some people are thinking he won't adjust next year. I think those are the people who look at his pitch/at bat stats and just think "Juan Uribe".

BadBobbyJenks
10-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Those of you that act like he's a swing-out-of-your-shoes Juan Uribe type were not paying attention very well. Not walking does not necessarily mean bad pitch recognition. Alexei is a good example of that, as is Vlad Guerrero.

Yes, he's going to go up there swinging; that's because he's really got a large hitting zone. When behind in the count, though, he becomes more selective in the pitches he swings at. So if your prediction turns out to be true (which it won't), then Alexei will be walking an awful lot next year.

Interesting I missed the part where I called him Juan Uribe. But a .317 OBP is horrendous. He is going to have to adjust next year, there is no doubt about it. He doesn't walk at all, Vlad Guerrero Walks.

kitekrazy
10-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Everybody talks about Alexei's ability to adjust in the middle of a game or even in the middle of an at bat...or at least those who watch closely.

I wonder why some people are thinking he won't adjust next year. I think those are the people who look at his pitch/at bat stats and just think "Juan Uribe".

There's always the possibility of a sophomore slump. You also have to look that in his 2nd season he's more aware of what the pitchers are throwing.

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
10-24-2008, 09:47 AM
I He doesn't walk at all, Vlad Guerrero Walks.

But AR doesn´t struck out to often also (only 61 in 480 AB) so I think all that he needs is to be a little more patient at the plate.

On anyway he came from a league (Cuban) where the players use to swing freely at almost any pitch and in his former 3rd spot in the Pinar del Rio team he was overprotected by the huge slugger Yosvani Peraza in the 4th spot, so he used to take almost any pitch, he as to learn that in MLB things are quite different, but we hope he will do.

russ99
10-24-2008, 10:42 AM
There's always the possibility of a sophomore slump. You also have to look that in his 2nd season he's more aware of what the pitchers are throwing.

The reason I don't think that would happen is that this entire year he hit solely off instinct. As you alluded to, once Alexei learns the pitchers around the league, there's more room for drastic improvement. Plus the kid has shown he's got a mentality to work, learn and adjust, and that's half the battle.