PDA

View Full Version : 4 Players dropped from 40 man roster....

btrain929
10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081020&content_id=3634001&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lucy, Bourgeois, Phillips, and Sisco were dropped off the 40 man. Lucy is going back to AAA, but the other 3 elected to become free agents. With Contreras being put back on, the 40 man stands at 37.

DumpJerry
10-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Philips, huh? Looks like Toby Hall's agent will be getting a call from Kenny soon.

oeo
10-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Could care less about Phillips and Sisco, but I am sad to Bourgeois go. Would have been a nice replacement once Wise falls off the map next year.

Philips, huh? Looks like Toby Hall's agent will be getting a call from Kenny soon.

Yeah, since I'm sure he was in the plans as a replacement.

btrain929
10-20-2008, 06:06 PM

....to tell him that Toby's services won't be needed anymore because we signed Miguel Olivo to a 2 year deal to back up AJ.

btrain929
10-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Could care less about Phillips and Sisco, but I am sad to Bourgeois go. Would have been a nice replacement once Wise falls off the map next year.

Agreed. I was a huge Bourgeois fan.

chisoxfanatic
10-20-2008, 06:30 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081020&content_id=3634001&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lucy, Bourgeois, Phillips, and Sisco were dropped off the 40 man. Lucy is going back to AAA, but the other 3 elected to become free agents. With Contreras being put back on, the 40 man stands at 37.
Glad to see Sisco is gone. He never did anything for this organization.
I wouldn't mind Toby continuing to be AJ's back up.

oeo
10-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Agreed. I was a huge Bourgeois fan.

If it wasn't for a miserable start to the season, Bourgeois likely would have been the guy called up instead of Wise.

btrain929
10-20-2008, 06:34 PM
If it wasn't for a miserable start to the season, Bourgeois likely would have been the guy called up instead of Wise.

Good call. I was in love with his stats from years past and knew he had talent. But then I was down at Spring Training this year and saw the Sox/Cubs game where he stole 3 or 4 bases. He was unbelievable. I had hoped he'd be more than a career minor leaguer.

SoxNation05
10-20-2008, 06:59 PM
....to tell him that Toby's services won't be needed anymore because we signed Miguel Olivo to a 2 year deal to back up AJ.
Yeah, it's not like we initially traded him because he can't call a game or player personell hated him.

chaerulez
10-20-2008, 08:03 PM

If Wise is anything more than a 5th OF next year, we are in trouble.

veeter
10-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Agreed. I was a huge Bourgeois fan.I wasn't a huge fan, but I think he can play. This is surprising. He has excellent NL player written all over him, IMO.

JGarlandrules20
10-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah, it's not like we initially traded him because he can't call a game or player personell hated him.

I don't recall anything about player personnel hating him. I remember in '04 Kenny saying it was the hardest conversation he had with a player when he told Miguel he was traded.

Anyway, he wants to be a starter so he isn't an option for us.

btrain929
10-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Anyway, he wants to be a starter so he isn't an option for us.

He can WANT to be a starter all he wants. Doesn't mean he'll get that chance.

He may or may not get a starting gig, but I'd like him as a backup because he gives you better offense and waaay better defense then Hall did.

Lip Man 1
10-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Surprised that they would drop Phillips. Good chance Lucy is the back up next season unless Toby agrees to a massive pay cut.

Sisco was dead weight from day one and isn't any kind of a loss.

Lip

Lip Man 1
10-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Garland:

Ozzie was quoted directly as saying some Sox pitchers didn't like him behind the plate when they were pitching. Didn't think he called a good game. Daver would know more on this.

Lip

Daver
10-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Garland:

Ozzie was quoted directly as saying some Sox pitchers didn't like him behind the plate when they were pitching. Didn't think he called a good game. Daver would know more on this.

Lip

I know a Sox catcher hasn't called a game since Fisk was shown the door.

I also know Javy and Jose were not happy with his pitch selection, and raised some questions on his game prep.

Brian26
10-20-2008, 10:28 PM

I also know Javy and Jose were not happy with his pitch selection, and raised some questions on his game prep.

I think Lip was asking about Olivo. Neither Javy nor Jose ever pitched to Miguel. Contreras was acquired a month after the Sox traded Olivo to Seattle.

HomeFish
10-20-2008, 10:46 PM
I remember hearing that Olivo couldn't call a game too. His upside was always that he was a catcher who could hit, which justified the fact that he couldn't call a game. Then the Mariners, Marlins, etc. found out that he could not in fact consistently hit major league pitching.

I was a huge Olivo fan when he was here. I thought he would be a perennial All-Star for sure because of his bat. I was absolutely furious when he was traded; I even wrote a sad song about it that I posted on one of the Sox forums. But I admit now that I was wrong, and I don't think he'd contribute much as a backup here.

thomas35forever
10-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Looks like Sisco will be making his comeback elsewhere. I really wish I could've seen Bourgeois more. Good luck to all of them.

WhiteSox5187
10-20-2008, 10:50 PM

The thing that drove my dad nuts about Fisk (and it would drive me nuts too if I wasn't five when he got cut) was the fact that he was soooo slow!

When you're talking about Javy and Jose not liking his game prep, are you talking about AJ???

Daver
10-20-2008, 10:54 PM
The thing that drove my dad nuts about Fisk (and it would drive me nuts too if I wasn't five when he got cut) was the fact that he was soooo slow!

When you're talking about Javy and Jose not liking his game prep, are you talking about AJ???

No Toby.

oeo
10-20-2008, 10:55 PM
If Wise is anything more than a 5th OF next year, we are in trouble.

What gives you the idea that he would be? Hawk acting like he's some 19-year-old phenom?

salty99
10-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Surprised that they would drop Phillips. Good chance Lucy is the back up next season unless Toby agrees to a massive pay cut.

Sisco was dead weight from day one and isn't any kind of a loss.

Lip

I also wouldn't count out Cole Armstrong.

Steelrod
10-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Agree. I like Cole Armstrong!

btrain929
10-21-2008, 09:52 AM

Agree. I like Cole Armstrong!

I like his stick and he really impressed me in Spring Training. I don't know how his defense is or game calling. People always say "he won't be the backup cuz AJ hits lefty too." There's plenty of teams that have a catcher and a backup that both hit righty, so I don't see the big deal. Plus, if he is good with the bat on the major league level too, he could be a pinch hitter against righties.

khan
10-21-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't really like ANY of the backup catcher(s) that were in the 40 man roster.

But to the point of this thread, exactly HOW does Mike MacDougal keep his roster spot and ~$3M salary? Even a craptacular RP like Sisco is more cost-effective on the 40 man, given that he's every bit as bad at pitching as MacDougal, but at a lower price.

I too am disappointed that Bourgeois didn't get more of a look for '09.

But with THESE 4 gone from the 40 man, I'll have to look HARDER for a "Dewon Day" replacement as my "Favorite Current Sox Player" on my profile... I was going to go with Sisco, but too bad for me, I guess.

soltrain21
10-21-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't really like ANY of the backup catcher(s) that were in the 40 man roster.

But to the point of this thread, exactly HOW does Mike MacDougal keep his roster spot and ~$3M salary? Even a craptacular RP like Sisco is more cost-effective on the 40 man, given that he's every bit as bad at pitching as MacDougal, but at a lower price.

I too am disappointed that Bourgeois didn't get more of a look for '09.

But with THESE 4 gone from the 40 man, I'll have to look HARDER for a "Dewon Day" replacement as my "Favorite Current Sox Player" on my profile... I was going to go with Sisco, but too bad for me, I guess.

It is guaranteed.

whitesox901
10-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Too bad Bourgeois got cut, I had high hopes for him

khan
10-21-2008, 02:55 PM
It is guaranteed.

The roster spot, or the salary?

I'm well aware that his salary is guaranteed. But in any case, MacDougal's ****tyness in concert with his contract should lead to him being launched, IMO.

Foulke You
10-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Really? Perhaps my memory is failing me but I don't remember Karkovice looking into the dugout very often for pitch calling. Also, AJ only seems to do it occasionally. Olivo on the other hand I remember constantly was looking into the dugout for pitch selection. Olivo was a solid hitter for a catcher and had a cannon for a throwing arm but the rest of his game was a little weak.

Daver
10-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Really? Perhaps my memory is failing me but I don't remember Karkovice looking into the dugout very often for pitch calling. Also, AJ only seems to do it occasionally. Olivo on the other hand I remember constantly was looking into the dugout for pitch selection. Olivo was a solid hitter for a catcher and had a cannon for a throwing arm but the rest of his game was a little weak.

Calling pitches and calling games are two completely different things.

mccoydp
10-24-2008, 06:03 AM

Didn't we already do the Olivo thing a few years ago?

Let's re-sign Jamie Burke while we're at it.

MeteorsSox4367
10-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Has anyone started an Andrew Sisco appreciation thread?

4 points
10-25-2008, 02:32 AM
:bandance:....to tell him that Toby's services won't be needed anymore because we signed Miguel Olivo to a 2 year deal to back up AJ.

No, because we signed Chris Widger to a 2 year deal.:dtroll:

btrain929
10-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Didn't we already do the Olivo thing a few years ago?

Let's re-sign Jamie Burke while we're at it.

:bandance:

No, because we signed Chris Widger to a 2 year deal.:dtroll:

-Burke sucks.
-Widgers sucks.
-Olivo is better than all of them, including Toby. It probably won't happen, but he'd give us what we need from a backup catcher: a right-handed stick to face lefties, pop, and can throw out runners better than anyone mentioned above.