10-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Good luck!
:tiphat:

BleacherBandit
10-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Go Phillies!

doublem23
10-19-2008, 11:42 PM
I would honestly like to see them put the "Devil" back in their name next year. If they're ****ty again, I promise, I'll start going back to church.

Gavin
10-19-2008, 11:43 PM
I'll take it.

(Please stop saying "worst to first")

Lip Man 1
10-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Fox's worst nightmare has come true...no Yankees, no Red Sox, no Cubs.

LOL

Good!

Hope Dave has a great call and a great time at the World Series.

Lip

chaerulez
10-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Cry boston cry

jenn2080
10-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Congrats Rays and **** you Boston.

aryzner
Thank you Rays. THANK YOU. But WHY DID YOU NOT FINISH IT SOONER?

Marqhead
Should be an exciting series.

Lots of young talent on display.

Congrats to both teams, I'm looking forward to this one!

Jjav829
:bandance:

Outstanding game by Garza.

Congrats, Rays! :gulp:

chisoxfanatic
10-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Rays...WIN...Party! Rays...WIN...Party!

Hell yea!!! :bandance:

The Dude
**** Boston!!!!! GO RAYS! Beat the god damn Phillies!
Anyone else glad as hell that Matt Garza is no longer in our division?

chisoxmike
I wasn't rooting for the Rays, but eat **** Red Sox Nation!

mccoydp
10-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Damn fine series, Rays! Congrats!

Beat the Phillies!

:gulp:

hi im skot
10-19-2008, 11:53 PM
What a great game.

Michstate45
10-19-2008, 11:55 PM
While this series will not be a big ratings draw, I will enjoy watching it. It's a refreshing change of pace, and I feel like it should be a series that will go at least 6 games

Medford Bobby
10-19-2008, 11:55 PM
I have a feeling no more NESN Pre-games with Amalie Benjamin (former NU gal) for just a while...:whiner:

Harry Potter
10-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Poor Boston - First the Patriots choke in the SuperBowl, now the Red Sox.

Gotta feel bad for Fenway

chisoxfanatic
10-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Although I'll still be pulling for the Phillies, I can still watch the World Series feeling calm.

kevingrt
10-19-2008, 11:58 PM
While this series will not be a big ratings draw, I will enjoy watching it. It's a refreshing change of pace, and I feel like it should be a series that will go at least 6 games

Same. I don't know why but I am kind of rooting for Philly. I like Cole, Rollins, and would like to see the old man Moyer pitch well.

soxpride724
10-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Way to go Tampa! I hate Boston almost as much as the Cubs.

doublem23
10-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Garza wins the ALCS MVP.

soxpride724
10-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Garza wins the ALCS MVP.

He deserves it.

hi im skot
10-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Garza wins the ALCS MVP.

No love for BJ Upton.

Hitmen77
10-20-2008, 12:03 AM
I can only imagine the final out if ESPN had broadcast tonight's game:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/chris.jpg
"....and the Boston Red Sox dream of repeating as world champs is over. Congratulations Boston Red Sox for a great season and congratulations Tampa Bay Rays."

chisoxfan4life
10-20-2008, 12:05 AM
If you're gonna lose, it's nice to lose to the best. I got jealous watching that celebration though. If only Carlos hadn't hurt himself...

I'm really happy for the Rays. I think this is a big night for the MLB. The young talent on the Rays and Phils is the future of this league. And this is the first post-steroids generation. It also is great to see the trend of teams making it to the World Series who don't excessively spend to get talent.

Sox4ever77
10-20-2008, 12:07 AM
**** ESPN. I switched over and saw Kruk and Steve Phillips kiss the ass of ****ing Boston. Kruk "Boston just gets baseball players." Phillips "Mark Kotsay doesn't have the best power. But he knows how to play baseball." Who gives a ****ing ****. The Rays just won. **** Boston. To think I thought I couldn't hate a team more than I hate the ****ing Yankees.

Uncle_Patrick
10-20-2008, 12:08 AM

This just about sums it up for me.

WhiteSox5187
10-20-2008, 12:09 AM
What a great game, congrats Tampa!

Meanwhile, Bristol CT must be flooded with tears. And I'm sure Fox is wondering if it can dump the World Series this year.

Hitmen77
10-20-2008, 12:09 AM
:tiphat:

Congratulations, Tampa Bay Rays. You have earned the title of American League Champions.

This of course is their first World Series appearance. Now all four 1990s expansion teams have won a pennant. The only teams remaining that have never won a pennant are: Texas Rangers, Washington Nationals, and Seattle Mariners. Pretty small company. Since the expansion era began in 1961 only these 3 teams plus one of the original 16 franchises have not won a pennant.

chaerulez
10-20-2008, 12:10 AM

Can't help but be happy that the Red Sawx lose to their (now) rival.

The Red Sawx in the Series again would have made it unwatchable for me.

nccwsfan
10-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Great game, great series, and a very good World Series awaits us.

Off Topic, did anyone catch Chip Caray's final comments tonight? He was commenting on the '08 Rays and who they most reminded him of- the teams he brought up for comparison were the 69' Mets, the 91' Braves, and the 89' Cubs????? Huh??? The first two comparisons are fair, but what did the 89' Cubs do to be put in that list?

Shoeless_Jeff
10-20-2008, 12:12 AM
My dream of seeing every expansion team win a WS before the Cubs do is a little closer to actually happening.

sox1970
10-20-2008, 12:13 AM

Off Topic, did anyone catch Chip Caray's final comments tonight? He was commenting on the '08 Rays and who they most reminded him of- the teams he brought up for comparison were the 69' Mets, the 91' Braves, and the 89' Cubs????? Huh??? The first two comparisons are fair, but what did the 89' Cubs do to be put in that list?

I heard that too. What the **** was that?

Noneck
10-20-2008, 12:15 AM
I am waiting now for some kinda excuse, ghosts, curses etc from those smarmy blosox fans.

This series will be fun to watch.

JB98
10-20-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm so glad the Rays have knocked Boston out and spared us another October of glee from Red Sox Nation. Those arrogant Boston fans deserve to lose.

Since our Sox can't win, I'd like to be able to say we lost to the eventual World Series champion. I hope the Rays go ahead and finish this thing off and represent the American League well.

doublem23
10-20-2008, 12:16 AM
I am waiting now for some kinda excuse, ghosts, curses etc from those smarmy blosox fans.

This series will be fun to watch.

I'm waiting for the first douche to try and coin the "Curse of Manny Ramirez." I will then be glad I don't own a gun, because I would probably blow my brains out.

soxstarter
10-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Rays are alright....nice scrappy team. Go Rays!

EMachine10
10-20-2008, 12:29 AM
That's the way Rays!:gulp:

FedEx227
10-20-2008, 01:34 AM
I'm waiting for the first douche to try and coin the "Curse of Manny Ramirez." I will then be glad I don't own a gun, because I would probably blow my brains out.

It's just the Curse of Manny being the Curse of Manny.

:dead:

johnnyg83
10-20-2008, 01:35 AM
My dream of seeing every expansion team win a WS before the Cubs do is a little closer to actually happening.

What's funny is every expansion team has BEEN. Amazing. Amazing.

I popped in the 2005 WS DVD tonight. I get sentimental. And I still get gooesbumps.

Sox4ever77
10-20-2008, 01:35 AM

Oh ****, now you did it. Gave those *******s another excuse for the next 80 something years.

doublem23
10-20-2008, 01:42 AM
It's just the Curse of Manny being the Curse of Manny.

::dead::

http://k43.pbase.com/u40/maynard/upload/25993312.explodehead.gif

FedEx227
10-20-2008, 01:45 AM
Yeah, I shot myself. It's not worth living in a world where that phrase can be used by Chris "Your With Me Leather" Berman.

guillensdisciple
10-20-2008, 03:18 AM

I popped in the 2005 WS DVD tonight. I get sentimental. And I still get gooesbumps.

After watching them win I went to do the same thing, I just can't find the damn thing. I am going to buy a new one. Luckily I got a collection of clips from that year saved on the comp so I just re-watched all of them.

I miss our White Sox, lets just start next season now!

LITTLE NELL
10-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Since I retired to Florida, I've adopted the Rays as my 2nd favorite team. I have followed them from their first year and If the Sox can't be in the WS its great to see the Rays in it. Its extra special because they beat the hated Red Sox. Go Rays!!!

cheezheadsoxfan
10-20-2008, 06:58 AM
After watching them win I went to do the same thing, I just can't find the damn thing. I am going to buy a new one. Luckily I got a collection of clips from that year saved on the comp so I just re-watched all of them.

I miss our White Sox, lets just start next season now!

I watch the DVD every October. Still makes me teary.:smile:

Good for the Rays. Hope they take the Series.

chaerulez
10-20-2008, 08:43 AM

Every expansion team from the 1990's has now made it to a World Series. But the Rangers, Mariners and Nationals are all considered expansion teams and are actually the three franchises never to have played in a World Series.

Hitmen77
10-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Every expansion team from the 1990's has now made it to a World Series. But the Rangers, Mariners and Nationals are all considered expansion teams and are actually the three franchises never to have played in a World Series.

Yep, those are the only 3 franchises that haven't ever won a pennant. The Rangers have been a franchise since '61, the Nationals since '69, and the Mariners since '77.

The other eleven expansion teams (Angels, Mets, Astros, Royals, Brewers, Padres, Blue Jays, Marlins, Rockies, Diamondbacks, and Rays) have all won at least one pennant.

In fact besides the Cubs, Rangers, Nationals, and Mariners, all other MLB teams have won at least 1 pennant since 1979.

EDIT: By the way, here's the Wikipedia list of longest pennant droughts that shows the 3 teams that have never advanced to the World Series. What's really pathetic is the Texas Rangers franchise (which has been around for nearly a half century) is the only MLB franchise that has never won a postseason series and has never played in a "League Championship Series".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MLB_franchise_post-season_droughts#MLB_franchises_with_the_longest_cu rrent_league_pennant_drought

ode to veeck
10-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Thank you Rays. THANK YOU. But WHY DID YOU NOT FINISH IT SOONER?

It was much more exciting the way it played out, of course

was that one of the biggest pile ons at the end of the game?, must have been 6 feet deep in big humans on the mound there

ode to veeck
10-20-2008, 11:55 AM

actually '89 Cubs were a young exciting team that got slightly outhit by the Giants in the playoffs to enable the quake series in SF; prolly the team of Chip's youth dreams

kittle42
10-20-2008, 12:08 PM
I hope Tom Brady does something of note in his recovery over the next two weeks so ESPN has something to talk about.

spiffie
10-20-2008, 12:27 PM
While the Rays deserve all the praise in the world for being an excellent team, right now all I can think is how heartbreaking this game must have been for Red Sox Nation. It looked as though destiny was going to be on their side, lifting their beloved Sox to another incredible comeback. To lose this way has to be added to the annals of sorrow along with Mookie, Buckner, and Dent. It is a credit to their fans neverending dedication that despite these sorrows they stuck around and saw their patience justly rewarded with 2 WS titles in four years. Sadly the most dedicated fans in sports won't be given another chance to bask in the reflected joy of a repeat title, but they can rest their heads easily knowing how hard their guys fought, and that through such incalcuable sorrows is the path to the greatest triumphs.

hi im skot
10-20-2008, 12:32 PM
While the Rays deserve all the praise in the world for being an excellent team, right now all I can think is how heartbreaking this game must have been for Red Sox Nation. It looked as though destiny was going to be on their side, lifting their beloved Sox to another incredible comeback. To lose this way has to be added to the annals of sorrow along with Mookie, Buckner, and Dent. It is a credit to their fans neverending dedication that despite these sorrows they stuck around and saw their patience justly rewarded with 2 WS titles in four years. Sadly the most dedicated fans in sports won't be given another chance to bask in the reflected joy of a repeat title, but they can rest their heads easily knowing how hard their guys fought, and that through such incalcuable sorrows is the path to the greatest triumphs.

:rolling:

Spiffie, you never disappoint.

TommyJohn
10-20-2008, 12:39 PM

I'm sure we'll see this in a Boston column today! Funny stuff!

Bump34
10-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks to the folks at WSI for your support of the Rays!!! Its been a great ride and I don't want it to end!!!

Cheers!!!:gulp::gulp::gulp:

FedEx227
10-20-2008, 04:41 PM

Now they can go back to their favorite role: the ever-popular "Feel sorry For us even though we have a similar payroll to the Yankees"

Fenway
10-20-2008, 05:15 PM

Stick a sock in it :tongue:

You don't see me :whiner:

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/galleries/p110202008.jpghttp://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/galleries/Sports_10202008.jpg

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-20-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm so glad the Rays have knocked Boston out and spared us another October of glee from Red Sox Nation. Those arrogant Boston fans deserve to lose.

No kidding. It was especially nice to see the Red Sox lose after they started what looked to be another dramatic comeback, which half of their "fans" didn't even see because they had given up. They are so proud of their Red Sox ability to come back in '04 and '07, but they revealed their true bandwagon nature by leaving the stadium and turning off the TVs in Game 5. Plus, they were booing Ortiz earlier in the game. This is just desserts for the way they acted after sweeping the Rockies last year. If there hadn't been a 9 day layoff between the NLCS and the World Series, that series would have played out differently.

And while I'm ranting on the Red Sox, can we agree that they are definitely not "The Sox"? Their uniforms and hats do not say "Sox", they say either "Boston" or "Red Sox" or just "B". The White Sox are the true "Sox". It really pisses me off when people refer to the Red Sox as the "Sox". I realize it's a somewhat arbitrary distinction, but I don't care.

DumpJerry
10-20-2008, 07:45 PM
And while I'm ranting on the Red Sox, can we agree that they are definitely not "The Sox"? Their uniforms and hats do not say "Sox", they say either "Boston" or "Red Sox" or just "B". The White Sox are the true "Sox". It really pisses me off when people refer to the Red Sox as the "Sox". I realize it's a somewhat arbitrary distinction, but I don't care.
That's why we here at WSI call the White Sox the Real Sox.:D:

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-20-2008, 07:58 PM
That's why we here at WSI call the White Sox the Real Sox.:D:

Now if only we can get the rest of the world to realize this.

That should probably be teal.

DSpivack
10-20-2008, 08:38 PM

Now if only we can get the rest of the world to realize this.

That should probably be teal.

They are the "Sux" or the "Sawx" but not the Sox.

chisoxfanatic
10-20-2008, 09:16 PM
They are the "Sux" or the "Sawx" but not the Sox.
Right on.

I have been watching the Penguins/Bruins game on NESN tonight, and during the intermissions, they do a little Boston sports report. It was nice seeing all of the Red Sox players packing it up at Fenway Park today!

Sox4ever77
10-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Right on.

I have been watching the Penguins/Bruins game on NESN tonight, and during the intermissions, they do a little Boston sports report. It was nice seeing all of the Red Sox players packing it up at Fenway Park today!

Did Papel****er pack his douchebags?

Andy T Clown
10-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Thanks to the folks at WSI for your support of the Rays!!! Its been a great ride and I don't want it to end!!!

Cheers!!!:gulp::gulp::gulp:

I wish I could get the Tampa radio broadcast on the internet.

chisoxfanatic
10-21-2008, 12:13 AM

All I can say is he WASN'T doing the River Dance on the field.

RadioheadRocks
10-21-2008, 12:45 AM

... and the world heaves a collective sigh of relief!!!

Sox4ever77
10-21-2008, 02:22 AM

I hated Papel****er before, but after his BS antics in Game 6, he can stick that finger us his ass. What a douchebag that mother****er is.

chisoxfanatic
10-21-2008, 02:57 AM
I hated Papel****er before, but after his BS antics in Game 6, he can stick that finger us his ass. What a douchebag that mother****er is.
What did he do during game 6? I was watching Hockey Night in Canada.

Sox4ever77
10-21-2008, 05:52 PM
What did he do during game 6? I was watching Hockey Night in Canada.

He was doing that douchebag dance but this time, holding up one finger, as if to say One More Win. What a ****ing douchebag. I really can't wait to see his "Kirk Gibson" moment.

Eddo144
10-21-2008, 06:32 PM
**** ESPN. I switched over and saw Kruk and Steve Phillips kiss the ass of ****ing Boston. Kruk "Boston just gets baseball players." Phillips "Mark Kotsay doesn't have the best power. But he knows how to play baseball." Who gives a ****ing ****. The Rays just won. **** Boston. To think I thought I couldn't hate a team more than I hate the ****ing Yankees.
I heard that too, what a joke. I'm pretty sure every player on every team in the history of baseball knew how to play baseball. The **** that passes for analysis these days.

chisoxfanatic
10-21-2008, 06:41 PM
He was doing that douchebag dance but this time, holding up one finger, as if to say One More Win. What a ****ing douchebag. I really can't wait to see his "Kirk Gibson" moment.
Oh, god, I'm glad I wasn't watching it then. I'd probably vomit more times than I did when I suffered food poisoning! I did see him in Game 5 looking all cocky (when is he NOT cocky, actually?). Papelbitch needs some serious humbling! It would be great for us to trail in each of the 8 games with them next season and have him blow each save opportunity! At Fenway Park, Bobby Jenks can come in and get the saves and show him how to act.

Funny thing people like Jenks, who has been there and won the World Series as well, can act properly; but, Papelbitch can't.

GoGoCrede
10-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Oh, god, I'm glad I wasn't watching it then. I'd probably vomit more times than I did when I suffered food poisoning! I did see him in Game 5 looking all cocky (when is he NOT cocky, actually?). Papelbitch needs some serious humbling! It would be great for us to trail in each of the 8 games with them next season and have him blow each save opportunity! At Fenway Park, Bobby Jenks can come in and get the saves and show him how to act.

Funny thing people like Jenks, who has been there and won the World Series as well, can act properly; but, Papelbitch can't.

You're dead on.

I was talking about this a few weeks ago during the ALDS. Boston and the Angels were playing one another, and both used their closers. Neither Papelbon nor K-Rod got the saves, yet both acted insufferable after getting big outs - K-Rod pointed to the sky, Papelbon screamed an audible "YES."

I contrasted it with what happened with our Sox earlier that day- Bobby got the save against Tampa, had all the reason to act cocky on the mound, but he simply pumped his fist and high-fived AJ. I've never been happier to have Bobby as our closer.

chisoxfanatic
10-21-2008, 07:22 PM
You're dead on.

I was talking about this a few weeks ago during the ALDS. Boston and the Angels were playing one another, and both used their closers. Neither Papelbon nor K-Rod got the saves, yet both acted insufferable after getting big outs - K-Rod pointed to the sky, Papelbon screamed an audible "YES."

I contrasted it with what happened with our Sox earlier that day- Bobby got the save against Tampa, had all the reason to act cocky on the mound, but he simply pumped his fist and high-fived AJ. I've never been happier to have Bobby as our closer.
Bobby Jenks didn't even act cocky when he got the World Series-clinching save! If that doesn't tell you how humble our closer is, nothing will. Papelbon acts cocky when recording a save against the Kansas City Royals in early April! As far as I'm concerned, he and Carlos Gomez are hated players 1a and 1b.

cub killer
10-22-2008, 02:26 AM
Bobby Jenks didn't even act cocky when he got the World Series-clinching save! If that doesn't tell you how humble our closer is, nothing will. Papelbon acts cocky when recording a save against the Kansas City Royals in early April! As far as I'm concerned, he and Carlos Gomez are hated players 1a and 1b.

Bobby Jenks is truly a class act. If you guys remember the press conference after WS game 1, when a reporter asked him what he thought of Ozzie's "tall and wide" signal for Jenks out of the bullpen. Jenks took it all in stride and chuckled about it himself. You can tell he appreciated being in the WS and he was justly rewarded.