PDA

View Full Version : Is Football that Important in Tampa?

kevingrt
10-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Read this: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Mike-Alstott-not-apathy-annihilates-ALCS-ticke;_ylt=Au.UcIXtnQd1GPRYkNE6SxE5nYcB?urn=mlb,11 5875

That makes me feel sick as a White Sox fan that for any post season game I need to throw down above face value for tickets because I cannot afford season tickets. Very sad for the city of Tampa and the state of baseball in Florida.

Athrun
10-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Thats pretty pitiful.

DSpivack
10-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Sounds like a whiny Sawx fan to me.

thomas35forever
10-19-2008, 11:04 PM
For the team's sake, they better win the whole thing. Anything less than that and they'll again become the afterthought they once were.

kevingrt
10-19-2008, 11:09 PM
For the team's sake, they better win the whole thing. Anything less than that and they'll again become the afterthought they once were.

Sad but true. Unless they turn it into long term success and make the postseason next year as well. But that will be tough with the Yankees, Red Sox, BlueJays in the division.

BleacherBandit
10-19-2008, 11:34 PM

Hey! Kind of like the Rockies last year?

Noneck
10-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Hey! Kind of like the Rockies last year?

Don't compare them to the Rockies, The Rockies drew more than the Sox this year and have had many huge attendance years.

johnnyg83
10-20-2008, 12:31 AM
The Rockies are also in the middle of the hippest neighborhood in the city. Sound somewhat familiar? emphasis on somewhat.

BleacherBandit
10-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Don't compare them to the Rockies, The Rockies drew more than the Sox this year and have had many huge attendance years.

I didn't mean attendence. I meant the national media not giving a crap about them this year. Maybe that had to do something with how they played, but I bet a normal, non-baseball worshiping person can't remember that they were in the world series last year. The Rays better not be swept.

DSpivack
10-20-2008, 01:12 AM
The Rockies are also in the middle of the hippest neighborhood in the city. Sound somewhat familiar? emphasis on somewhat.

There's a big difference there: I like LoDo. :tongue:

chaerulez
10-20-2008, 07:52 AM
I think it should be noted professional baseball didn't exist in Florida until 1993. People didn't grow up with baseball, a culture of baseball didn't exist. It might take a generation of people to grow up liking the local baseball team. The Mariners never caught on in Seattle until Griffey arrived and they had that famous ALDS game 5 against the Yankees that "saved Seattle baseball". And this happened almost 20 years after the team was in MLB. The Rays have been around for only 11, if they win they will attract fans.

itsnotrequired
10-20-2008, 08:30 AM
I think it should be noted professional baseball didn't exist in Florida until 1993. People didn't grow up with baseball, a culture of baseball didn't exist. It might take a generation of people to grow up liking the local baseball team. The Mariners never caught on in Seattle until Griffey arrived and they had that famous ALDS game 5 against the Yankees that "saved Seattle baseball". And this happened almost 20 years after the team was in MLB. The Rays have been around for only 11, if they win they will attract fans.

Eh, the baseball culture has always been there, just not with the majors. Spring Training is huge down there (i.e. Dodgertown (RIP), the Red Sox, etc.). There are currently 13 affiliated minor league teams in Florida, the most of any single state. Hell, the FSL has been around for nearly 90 years (minor hiccup in the late 20s-early 30s and in WWII).

ChiSoxFan81
10-20-2008, 11:39 AM
This is just wrong. An ALCS game 7 for the first time in franchise history, and you're going to a regular season NFL game? Pathetic. Having finished the Sawx, I am now pulling for the Phillies. TB fans do not deserve this.

Good thing there wasn't a local college FB game going on. The Trop would have been 1/2 empty.

Fenway
10-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Florida is like Texas and Western Pennsylvania ...football is king.

The only people who follow baseball in Florida are transplants and the same goes for hockey. You do see some transplants switching to the Rays from places like Cincinnati and Pittsburgh where the teams have been bad for over a decade.

The Florida State League's attendance has always been the worst in the minors but the parent clubs just suck it up because most have 12 month operations in Florida. I suspect you will soon see a FSL type league formed in Arizona as more teams shift spring training there.

Last night anybody who wanted to see Game 7 in person could do so and pay face value or less. Part of the reason is nobody would go to The Dome without a ticket because outside of one large sportsbar next to The Trop there is nothing there.

Mohoney
10-20-2008, 03:24 PM

It is a pretty interesting similarity between the Rays and the Mariners. Both franchises fielded lousy teams in sterile domes for a long time.

Eddo144
10-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Football generally outdraws baseball wherever the two compete. As hard as it is to get Cubs tickets, it's that much harder to get Bears tickets here.

While ALCS game sevens are rare, remember that fans have a chance to see 81 home baseball games every year, as opposed to only eight home football games.

Fenway
10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
It is a pretty interesting similarity between the Rays and the Mariners. Both franchises fielded lousy teams in sterile domes for a long time.

The 1995 playoffs allowed the public to approve Safeco Field.

I was in the Montreal press box one night and remarked to the late Larry Whiteside that Stade Olympique had to be the worst and he said 'never been to the Kingdome I take it.'

I can't stress how much the location of The Trop hurts the Rays from drawing. If they were on the Tampa side of the bay they would draw better. People in Hillsboro County (Tampa) will not make that 20 mile drive to St Pete. As far as Tampa residents go St Pete is as far away as Miami. When I lived there I never understood why but that is the way it is.

Hitmen77
10-20-2008, 04:27 PM
The 1995 playoffs allowed the public to approve Safeco Field.

I was in the Montreal press box one night and remarked to the late Larry Whiteside that Stade Olympique had to be the worst and he said 'never been to the Kingdome I take it.'

I can't stress how much the location of The Trop hurts the Rays from drawing. If they were on the Tampa side of the bay they would draw better. People in Hillsboro County (Tampa) will not make that 20 mile drive to St Pete. As far as Tampa residents go St Pete is as far away as Miami. When I lived there I never understood why but that is the way it is.

What is the latest news on the Rays new stadium proposal? I thought I heard it has been shelved. If the St. Pete location is killing the Rays, then they'd still have the same problem if this new ballpark gets built.

Fenway
10-20-2008, 04:34 PM
What is the latest news on the Rays new stadium proposal? I thought I heard it has been shelved. If the St. Pete location is killing the Rays, then they'd still have the same problem if this new ballpark gets built.

Yes they would......it appears they will hang on for a couple of years and then in 4 years they can buyout of the lease. It will cost them but it may come to that.

Frontman
10-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Considering less than a year ago, this team was viewed as a joke? I'm not suprised that people aren't just jumping on the bandwagon.

The Buccaneers however, have won the Superbowl, with Allstot as part of the team that did it. As a White Sox fan, I'm sure I would be trying to get to game 7 of the ALCS if the Sox were on the verge of the first trip to the Series EVER; but lets say it was Walter Payton or Mike Singeltary being honored at the same time as Soldier Field?

I can't say I wouldn't be tempted to go to the Bears game at cost versus paying for a scalped playoff ticket.

And finally, again this is a column by a sports "blogger" ie:

An internet poster who just happened to find someone willing to pay him to do what we all do for free. His opinion (as well as not needing to follow any sort of investigative integrity) is his own; and is no more or less important than someone elses.

kevingrt
10-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Considering less than a year ago, this team was viewed as a joke? I'm not suprised that people aren't just jumping on the bandwagon.

The Buccaneers however, have won the Superbowl, with Allstot as part of the team that did it. As a White Sox fan, I'm sure I would be trying to get to game 7 of the ALCS if the Sox were on the verge of the first trip to the Series EVER; but lets say it was Walter Payton or Mike Singeltary being honored at the same time as Soldier Field?

I can't say I wouldn't be tempted to go to the Bears game at cost versus paying for a scalped playoff ticket.

And finally, again this is a column by a sports "blogger" ie:

An internet poster who just happened to find someone willing to pay him to do what we all do for free. His opinion (as well as not needing to follow any sort of investigative integrity) is his own; and is no more or less important than someone elses.

You just compared Mike Alstott to Singletary or Payton. Wrong. Great player but not the same caliber as Payton or Singletary. Hell I would vote for Alstott in the HoF, but not in that category.

Frontman
10-20-2008, 09:36 PM
You just compared Mike Alstott to Singletary or Payton. Wrong. Great player but not the same caliber as Payton or Singletary. Hell I would vote for Alstott in the HoF, but not in that category.

You're mis-understanding me (which I'll be honest, I didn't clarify it so "My bad.")

Alstott is as popular in the Tampa Bay area as Singletary or Payton was to Chicago. As far as play; no comparison.