PDA

View Full Version : Letter from The Trop - Game 6 ALC.S

Fenway
10-19-2008, 05:13 AM
MERCY

So now the 2008 AL Pennant comes down to one game.

The mood in Pinellas County this morning is dark and honestly the long term future of the Rays franchise is at stake. Fans and media here fret that the Rays are the new Flubs.

4 hours later my head still hurts from cowbells and the other noise generated by 8,000 more seats sold. The feeling was/is that the Rays had to win Game 6.

It seems impossible that Boston can come back from 1-3 yet again but they have done the hard part getting it to Game 7.

Tonight should be a classic.

Frankfan4life
10-19-2008, 05:59 AM
IF the Rays don't win the ALCS, they have nothing to feel bad about. They had a dream season. They have already gone further than the two teams with the best records in their respective leagues. The Rays have revitalized their fan base whom I don't see abandoning them next year just because they didn't play in the World Series.

As far as this noise thing is concerned, I don't understand why the media is making such a big deal out of it. I agree that the Rays fans are very supportive but THE RAYS PLAY INSIDE A DOME! Obviously, sounds made inside of an enclosed structure would be a lot louder than those made in an outdoor ballpark. The cowbells also add to the cacophony. I recall how angry and upset the Astros and their fans were in 2005 when MLB wouldn't allow them to close their roof during the World Series. They knew that the noise levels would be more intense with the roof closed rather than open, which would give them more of a home-field advantage. I guess in a way I'm kind of pissed off because I felt that Sox fans were extremely loud during our "five-game" play-off series and we got no recognition. I replayed parts of the division-clinching game today and at times, the commentators could barely be heard over the crowd noise yet they said nothing about it. Of course I'm disappointed but not surprised.

Whitesoxfan23
10-19-2008, 06:44 AM
*Hands Fenway a bottle of Tylenol. I hate those stupid cowbells.

DrCrawdad
10-19-2008, 08:44 AM
May there be lots and lots of joyful cowbell tonight!

http://www.gifshare.com/uploads/images/20060914/thumb/6914_will-ferrell-cowbell.gif

Brian26
10-19-2008, 09:37 AM
IF the Rays don't win the ALCS, they have nothing to feel bad about.

They had a nice season, but up until the 7th inning on Thursday night, they owned Boston and looked like a lock to go to the Series and destroy the Phils. Now, they may not even make it there.

The Rays have revitalized their fan base whom I don't see abandoning them next year just because they didn't play in the World Series.

I can easily see those carpet-bagging, bandwagon fans forgetting baseball even exists next April.

Brian26
10-19-2008, 09:40 AM
4 hours later my head still hurts from cowbells and the other noise generated by 8,000 more seats sold. The feeling was/is that the Rays had to win Game 6.

It seems impossible that Boston can come back from 1-3 yet again but they have done the hard part getting it to Game 7.

Tonight should be a classic.

At least the Rays fans bought enough tickets to take the tarps off the upper deck seats. Seeing those tarps on for the previous playoff games was embarrassing.

I enjoyed watching the game last night on DVR. That's the way to do it. I zoomed through it in about 45 minutes and still caught all of the top plays. Tonight should be a good game, and I'm almost rooting for the Carmines at this point.

Fenway
10-19-2008, 11:35 AM
At least the Rays fans bought enough tickets to take the tarps off the upper deck seats. Seeing those tarps on for the previous playoff games was embarrassing.

I enjoyed watching the game last night on DVR. That's the way to do it. I zoomed through it in about 45 minutes and still caught all of the top plays. Tonight should be a good game, and I'm almost rooting for the Carmines at this point.

Maddon is taking a lot of heat over not having his runners trying to steal on Papelbon when he was ahead 7-0 in the top of the 7th Thursday night.

Still it is fitting these 2 teams go to one final game.

Brian26
10-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Maddon is taking a lot of heat over not having his runners trying to steal on Papelbon when he was ahead 7-0 in the top of the 7th Thursday night.

Still it is fitting these 2 teams go to one final game.

I'm sure the same critics would be lambasting him for running up the score in a clinching game if the Red Sox had not come back. Maddon's brilliant managing is the reason the Rays have made it this far.

Lester will be tough to beat tonight.

Frankfan4life
10-19-2008, 12:02 PM

I enjoyed watching the game last night on DVR. That's the way to do it. I zoomed through it in about 45 minutes and still caught all of the top plays. Tonight should be a good game, and I'm almost rooting for the Carmines at this point.I hate to say it but, me too. I think Red Sox fans had a lot to do with the increased attendance. However, I'm giving the Rays the edge today.

Fenway
10-19-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm sure the same critics would be lambasting him for running up the score in a clinching game if the Red Sox had not come back. Maddon's brilliant managing is the reason the Rays have made it this far.

Lester will be tough to beat tonight.

The beauty of baseball is no lead is bullet proof. No clock you just need 27 outs.

Big leads can vanish in a heatbeat at Fenway. Boston was behind 10-0 in a game this summer and came back to win. One game I will never forget happened in the early 60's. Boston was playing Washington and was trailing 12-4 with 2 outs in the 9th and WON the game 13-12.

cards press box
10-19-2008, 01:05 PM
MERCY

So now the 2008 AL Pennant comes down to one game.

The mood in Pinellas County this morning is dark and honestly the long term future of the Rays franchise is at stake. Fans and media here fret that the Rays are the new Flubs.

I can understand that concern but regardless of the outcome of Game 7, the Rays are not the new Cubs. The Rays are a very young team and, to be sure, are bound to have some growing pains. Nonetheless, I expect the Rays to be a force in the AL East and, for that matter, the AL for years to come. This deciding game looks daunting for the Rays and to have a decent shot at winning, the Rays need a big time performance from Matt Garza. Experience and momentum would appear to make the Red Sox the favorite tonight.

On an unrelated note, I assume, Fenway, that you have been a Red Sox fan for many years. Going back to the '70's, I have enjoyed seeing the Red Sox as a visiting team in Chicago because the Boston fans who showed up were regular, knowledgeable fans who were a lot of fun. After 2004, however, many new members (i.e., bandwagon jumpers) of the so-called Red Sox nation started to show up at the Cell, leading many on this board to dub the Red Sox with a new name: the Red Cubs. Any thoughts on this new breed of Red Sox fan?

Fenway
10-19-2008, 01:26 PM
I can understand that concern but regardless of the outcome of Game 7, the Rays are not the new Cubs. The Rays are a very young team and, to be sure, are bound to have some growing pains. Nonetheless, I expect the Rays to be a force in the AL East and, for that matter, the AL for years to come. This deciding game looks daunting for the Rays and to have a decent shot at winning, the Rays need a big time performance from Matt Garza. Experience and momentum would appear to make the Red Sox the favorite tonight.

On an unrelated note, I assume, Fenway, that you have been a Red Sox fan for many years. Going back to the '70's, I have enjoyed seeing the Red Sox as a visiting team in Chicago because the Boston fans who showed up were regular, knowledgeable fans who were a lot of fun. After 2004, however, many new members (i.e., bandwagon jumpers) of the so-called Red Sox nation started to show up at the Cell, leading many on this board to dub the Red Sox with a new name: the Red Cubs. Any thoughts on this new breed of Red Sox fan?

I hate the entire concept of Red Sox Nation and I am bemused by the number of so called fans who jumped ship on Thursday night.

Sure it looked bleak but a true fan would stick it out to the end and applaud the team for a good season and to congrat the Rays on their first pennant.

What is sad is a lot of the hardcore fans who went to 20 or more games a year are now lucky to get to one or two games.

I am simply enjoying what this team has done the past 4 years and even a Boston hater has to admire the grit Boston has showed in coming back in a series yet again.

oeo
10-19-2008, 01:47 PM
The Rays have revitalized their fan base whom I don't see abandoning them next year just because they didn't play in the World Series.

"Re-vitalized" it? I didn't know they had one to re-vitalize.

I think we'll see much of the same in terms of attendance at Rays games next year.

ode to veeck
10-19-2008, 01:54 PM
I hate the entire concept of Red Sox Nation and I am bemused by the number of so called fans who jumped ship on Thursday night.

Sure it looked bleak but a true fan would stick it out to the end and applaud the team for a good season and to congrat the Rays on their first pennant.

What is sad is a lot of the hardcore fans who went to 20 or more games a year are now lucky to get to one or two games.

I am simply enjoying what this team has done the past 4 years and even a Boston hater has to admire the grit Boston has showed in coming back in a series yet again.

I didn't jump ship, and I'd still like to see the young Rays take the Red Sox out tonight

soxpride724
10-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Boston gets lucky yet again. If the Rays don't send those *******s back home tonight this will be a huge dissapointment. I'm not a Rays fan but this was theirs for the taking.

turners56
10-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Boston's probably going to go to the WS again. If the Rays lose this series, I blame Maddon for his horrible bullpen management in game 5.

TheOldRoman
10-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Sadly, I think we are going to see those ****ers win a pennant tonight, and I have a feeling the game wont even be close. I hope I am wrong.

However, I am hoping for my dream scenario. Boston leads the entire game. Up 2-1 in the 8th, Papelbon comes in to get the last out, and then celebrates like a monkey again. The Red Sox pick up 2 more in the 9th, leading it 4-1. After getting the first two outs of the bottom of the ninth, and having two strikes on the next batter, Papelbitch jumps off the mound and falls to his knees in celebration thinking the next pitch was a strike, only to see it was ball one. The next pitch is lined back at Papelbon, hitting him in the groin - infield single. He walks it off briefly, and wants to stay in. Next batter, 0-2 pitch lined up the middle, once again, smashing Papelbon in the groin for an infield single. He still stays in. Next batter, first pitch, you guessed it - square in the junk. At this point, the only thing keeping him in the game is his desired to use this new dance he has developed for winning the pennant. Next pitch is crushed into the left field upper deck.

A guy can dream, right?

RKMeibalane
10-19-2008, 04:25 PM
ESPN is creaming themselves over this. They'll probably want to do a documentary on the "comeback of '08" in order to set things up for the World Series on Wednesday.

Red Barchetta
10-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I hate to say it but, me too. I think Red Sox fans had a lot to do with the increased attendance. However, I'm giving the Rays the edge today.

The tarps had nothing to do with ticket sales. They had the seats tarped off because they have restricted views due to the light supports.

The team decided to take off the tarps due to local pressure to increase attendance even if they were restricted views.

They could have sold more seats to the White Sox games as well, however originally decided to wait until the World Series to sell restricted view seats. That probably changed due to the "Bauston" uproar. :D:

Red Barchetta
10-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Boston's probably going to go to the WS again. If the Rays lose this series, I blame Maddon for his horrible bullpen management in game 5.

There should not have been any bullpen management in that game. Kazmir should have stayed in the game until Boston formed an offensive threat. It probably boost the Red Sox confidence to see Kazmir leave. I have seen a lot of good games lost due to pitch count strategy.

That's why our 2005 season was so special. Ozzie let the starting pitchers dictate the outcome.

RTI_SoxFan
10-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Where is the game 7 letter from the Trop?

BYE BYE SAWX!