PDA

View Full Version : Will DJ be back?

soxrepublican
10-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Any info if DJ will be on the radio? If not, who will replace him?

chisoxmike
10-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Stone is replacing DJ on TV.

I think DJ is going to mlb.com

Daver
10-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Steve Stone.

soxrepublican
10-18-2008, 09:00 PM
I know he wont be on TV, but was wondering whats going to happen on the radio.

BleacherBandit
10-18-2008, 09:07 PM
As long as DJ gets a job somewhere, I don't really care where he ends up. I wish the best for him, but I don't want him back with the Sox.

turners56
10-18-2008, 09:22 PM
I don't want DJ's "GOING, GOING, GONE"s or "UH OH"s anywhere near the Sox organization. Especially the radio, please keep him away from there.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-18-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I still want him playing right field like always. :scratch:

... I hope he takes the job on the radio... or at least not take the Sox letting him go to hard, I hope he can just get a job somewhere. :tongue:

oeo
10-18-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I still want him playing right field like always. :scratch:

... I hope he takes the job on the radio... or at least not take the Sox letting him go to hard, I hope he can just get a job somewhere. :tongue:

He shouldn't have trouble finding a job. He always sounded good on FOX; Hawk brought him down.

kevin57
10-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Good bye and good luck.

GoGoCrede
10-18-2008, 11:12 PM

I love your sig banner. It's awesome. And I too hope he finds a good job somewhere.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-18-2008, 11:41 PM
I love your sig banner. It's awesome. And I too hope he finds a good job somewhere.Haha, have it changed for probably not even an hour and someone notices! :D: If you want one I can make you one, but I don't know what I'd put for playoff attendance, it doesn't look like you went to one? :?: Anyway, JD didn't seem to depressed when Hawk was talking about DJ last broadcast actually being his last... so maybe he's fine with it. I know people hate his "It's going going gone!" thing... I like it, and some other team or our radio listeners will have to learn to like it. :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
10-19-2008, 12:12 AM
I wish the best for him, but I don't want him back with the Sox.Then you don't wish the best for him.

Brian26
10-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Anyway, JD didn't seem to depressed when Hawk was talking about DJ last broadcast actually being his last... so maybe he's fine with it.

Jackson was quoted several times in the paper stating that he wanted to stay here and his first wish was to continue to be teamed with Hawk on television. People are going to continue to believe what they want to believe, of course, similar to the Jon Garland situation.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Jackson was quoted several times in the paper stating that he wanted to stay here and his first wish was to continue to be teamed with Hawk on television. People are going to continue to believe what they want to believe, of course, similar to the Jon Garland situation.I know he wants to stay, I was just saying I'm sure he not going to kill himself over it. Anyway, any announcer is going to say he wants to stay right where he is. Just like any pitcher is going to say they can play even when they feel some pain. :rolleyes:

Brian26
10-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Anyway, any announcer is going to say he wants to stay right where he is.

I don't remember Chip and Steve saying they wanted to stay towards the end of the 2004 season. Harry made it clear he wanted out towards the end of '81. We all remember what happened with John Rooney. Sometimes announcers get fed up, and sometimes they get a better offer.

GoGoCrede
10-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Haha, have it changed for probably not even an hour and someone notices! :D: If you want one I can make you one, but I don't know what I'd put for playoff attendance, it doesn't look like you went to one? :?: Anyway, JD didn't seem to depressed when Hawk was talking about DJ last broadcast actually being his last... so maybe he's fine with it. I know people hate his "It's going going gone!" thing... I like it, and some other team or our radio listeners will have to learn to like it. :tongue:

Nope, didn't go to any playoff games, maybe someday though!

I loved how in the last week it was obvious that DJ was saying anything he wanted because he knew it was over soon. Made for some entertaining broadcasts.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I don't remember Chip and Steve saying they wanted to stay towards the end of the 2004 season. Harry made it clear he wanted out towards the end of '81. We all remember what happened with John Rooney. Sometimes announcers get fed up, and sometimes they get a better offer.Of course there are acceptations... but I'd think most would.

Brian26
10-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Of course there are acceptations... but I'd think most would.

Of course. Rooney acceptated the St. Louis job offer, Chip acceptated a job with TBS, and Harry acceptated an offer from the Cubs.

ode to veeck
10-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Any info if DJ will be on the radio? If not, who will replace him?

anyone else would be an improvement

stoney would be great

michned
10-19-2008, 01:10 PM
He shouldn't have trouble finding a job. He always sounded good on FOX; Hawk brought him down.

Agree 100%. He seemed like a totally different broadcaster on the Fox games.

kittle42
10-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Haha, have it changed for probably not even an hour and someone notices! :D:

You spelled swagger wrong.

russ99
10-19-2008, 04:18 PM

DJ will get a job in TV. Going to radio wouldn't be a lateral career move.

That said, DJ's a member of the Sox family, and I'd expect him to return when Hawk retires.

PushinWeight
10-19-2008, 04:24 PM
If his playing days are over, give the job to Frank Thomas.

Lip Man 1
10-19-2008, 06:02 PM
From folks in the organization they are telling me the search has already begun for D.J.'s replacement for what that may be worth.

Lip

MrRoboto83
10-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Didn't Tommy John interview for the job before they ended up giving it to Singleton?

Konerko05
10-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Didn't Tommy John interview for the job before they ended up giving it to Singleton?

Has anyone watched Singleton on Baseball Tonight? He is surprisingly very good. The only person on that show worth a damn. My brother also said he listened to him do a game on Fox (?) and he did an outstanding job.

That just shows how hard it would be working with an ******* like Ed Farmer in your first year of professional broadcasting. I don't think they gave Singleton enough time to develop as an announcer.

Brian26
10-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Has anyone watched Singleton on Baseball Tonight? He is surprisingly very good. The only person on that show worth a damn. My brother also said he listened to him do a game on Fox (?) and he did an outstanding job.

That just shows how hard it would be working with an ******* like Ed Farmer in your first year of professional broadcasting. I don't think they gave Singleton enough time to develop as an announcer.

Or maybe it goes to show you that someone can look semi-talented if they are afforded bountiful time to rehearse their lines and have the opportunity to read off a teleprompter with pre-written material. It doesn't make Singleton any better of a broadcaster and certainly doesn't qualify him to become a major league broadcaster again, which he unfortunately failed miserably at.

FWIW, from what I've seen of him on ESPN, he still has a tendency to look like a deer in headlights too.

grv1974
10-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Of course there are acceptations... but I'd think most would.

Did you mean exceptions by any chance?:smile:

Rdy2PlayBall
10-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Did you mean exceptions by any chance?:smile: Maybe. or maybe I like getting made fun of? :dunce:

Brian26
10-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Maybe. or maybe I like getting made fun of? :dunce:

Share the show, Passion....the swagger!

Rdy2PlayBall
10-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Share the show, Passion....the swagger!Look at font sizes and transparency values buddy, it's not that hard. :wink:

Konerko05
10-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Or maybe it goes to show you that someone can look semi-talented if they are afforded bountiful time to rehearse their lines and have the opportunity to read off a teleprompter with pre-written material. It doesn't make Singleton any better of a broadcaster and certainly doesn't qualify him to become a major league broadcaster again, which he unfortunately failed miserably at.

FWIW, from what I've seen of him on ESPN, he still has a tendency to look like a deer in headlights too.

Well you can interpret it however you want. I also noted my brother saying he did an oustanding job announcing an entire game this year. He said he sounded like a completely different announcer.

It's not as easy task to be thrown into a broadcast booth with Ed Farmer without any previous experience.

Lip Man 1
10-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Roboto:

Yes, Tommy did.

Lip

Pasqua's Mailman
10-19-2008, 09:36 PM
DJ will not be back next year. He was sincerly offered the radio gig but given the perception (and the reality) that he was demoted he didn't want to go through that humiliation. The Sox are working on getting him a spot on the new MLB Network but who knows where that will lead.

Look for them to get someone "inexpensive" to go along with Farmer.

BleacherBandit
10-19-2008, 09:54 PM
DJ will not be back next year. He was sincerly offered the radio gig but given the perception (and the reality) that he was demoted he didn't want to go through that humiliation. The Sox are working on getting him a spot on the new MLB Network but who knows where that will lead.

Look for them to get someone "inexpensive" to go along with Farmer.

Baseball Network, anybody?

FarmerAndy
10-24-2008, 11:56 AM
I like DJ, and I agree that he sounded much better when doing Fox games on Saturday. With Hawk's ego taking up so much space in the booth, I'd imagine it's not easy to work in such cramped quarters.

That being said, Steve Stone is an improvement. (That's no rip on DJ, but Stone is the best.) But my problem with this move isn't the addition of Stone in the TV booth, it's the subtraction of Stone in the radio booth that I don't like. When I watch on television, I can see what's happening. I think it's more important to have your best broadcasters on radio, where you actually rely on them to communicate what is happening.

I like Ed Farmer as an analyst better than I like him at play-by-play. The Rooney/Farmer team was the best. In my perfect word, we would still have Rooney/Farmer on the radio, and Stoney keeping Hawk in check on the television. But this isn't my perfect world, so I'd rather keep Stone on the radio.... I like his analysis when I can't see what's happening.

soxpride724
10-24-2008, 12:53 PM
I like DJ, and I agree that he sounded much better when doing Fox games on Saturday. With Hawk's ego taking up so much space in the booth, I'd imagine it's not easy to work in such cramped quarters.

That being said, Steve Stone is an improvement. (That's no rip on DJ, but Stone is the best.) But my problem with this move isn't the addition of Stone in the TV booth, it's the subtraction of Stone in the radio booth that I don't like. When I watch on television, I can see what's happening. I think it's more important to have your best broadcasters on radio, where you actually rely on them to communicate what is happening.

I like Ed Farmer as an analyst better than I like him at play-by-play. The Rooney/Farmer team was the best. In my perfect word, we would still have Rooney/Farmer on the radio, and Stoney keeping Hawk in check on the television. But this isn't my perfect world, so I'd rather keep Stone on the radio.... I like his analysis when I can't see what's happening.

I agree. I was actually exited to listen to the games on radio this year.

Frankfan4life
10-25-2008, 05:14 PM
DJ will get a job in TV. Going to radio wouldn't be a lateral career move.

That said, DJ's a member of the Sox family, and I'd expect him to return when Hawk retires.That would be my hope also. So, taking the radio job would keep him prepared to do that.