PDA

View Full Version : Sox Shopping Carlos Lee For Starting Pitcher

Unregistered
05-18-2002, 10:19 PM
this according to ESPN...
The White Sox have shopped Carlos Lee for a starting pitcher, ESPN.com's Peter Gammons reported in his May 18 Diamond Notes. Chicago is heavily right-handed and have Jeff Liefer waiting in the wings. They talked to Oakland about Cory Lidle, were turned down and now Lidle is on the DL with a sore shoulder.
that may have something to do with why carlos wasnt in the lineup tonight...

Chisox_cali
05-18-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered

that may have something to do with why carlos wasnt in the lineup tonight...

I dont want Lidle what is he like 0-5 this year? Looks like last year may have been a fluke for him

FarWestChicago
05-18-2002, 10:30 PM

that may have something to do with why carlos wasnt in the lineup tonight... According to Gammons? Now there's a reliable source. :D:

duke of dorwood
05-18-2002, 10:37 PM
:boston

I'm just the poor man's Bruce Levine

Soxheads
05-18-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
According to Gammons? Now there's a reliable source. :D:

Wasn't it him that said not to be surprised to see Corwin Malone starting this year?

Ahhhh....I love Boston Bashing!

TimChamp
05-18-2002, 11:12 PM
Didn't Oakland offer Lidle for Rowand straight-up in the offseason??? I think I don't want Lidle now...he might just have been a one-year wonder like you guys said...I would really LOVE to have Paul Byrd though...I would do it if it was Lee for Byrd, straight-up...

Garrison
05-18-2002, 11:20 PM
I'd do Lee for Byrd any day of the week. But would KC? He has like half of their wins when he starts. It'd be a huge loss for them. But what do we care? Either C Lee got the night off, or they are close to a deal. Why else would you not play someone you were shopping? Glover went five which was nice. Got the win. But five relievers? I missed the game, but it must have been an over-management extravaganza.

Spiff
05-18-2002, 11:59 PM

The White Sox have shopped Carlos Lee for a starting pitcher, ESPN.com's Peter Gammons reported in his May 18 Diamond Notes. Chicago is heavily right-handed and have Jeff Liefer waiting in the wings. They talked to Oakland about Cory Lidle, were turned down and now Lidle is on the DL with a sore shoulder.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh Jeff Liefer! 'Scuse me while I piss my pants with excitement.

Liefer gets a shot before Crede. This organization is so ****ed up.

MarqSox
05-19-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Spiff

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh Jeff Liefer! 'Scuse me while I piss my pants with excitement.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels remarkably underwhelmed by the prospects of Liefer playing regularly.

BearSox
05-19-2002, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Spiff

You wanna put Crede in left field?

Jjav829
05-19-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by BearSox

You wanna put Crede in left field?

:crede
"If it will get me to the bigs, I'll do it!!"

GASHWOUND
05-19-2002, 10:38 AM
I do think Lee wll be traded since we have Leifer and Rowand who can replace him. How about Lee for Fogg straight up?lol
Nah, I think we're gonna need a veteran pitcher, even though Fogg is tearing it up.

WinningUgly!
05-19-2002, 11:37 AM
I guess if the Sox are going to deal away someone for pitching, Carlos is the logical one to trade. I just hate the thought of letting that much "raw potential" get away. The Sox have made that mistake a few times already in recent years. Lee could end up being an offensive stud in a few years, who knows? Then again he could just stay at his current production level his entire career, too. If a deal is done, I just hope it's for somebody that will be able to be a significant contributor to this team for at least a few seasons. A Scott Erickson-type doesn't do much for me...not when I think about how Lee could achieve his potential ala Sosa/Cameron! Erickson is old & coming off a major injury...bad combo :(:

Rowand & Liefer platooning in left doesn't sound all that bad for now. There's always the possibility of Valentin getting some time in the OF, if Crede gets the callup. And then there's that Borchard guy. :D:

rmusacch
05-19-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Garrison
I'd do Lee for Byrd any day of the week. But would KC? He has like half of their wins when he starts. It'd be a huge loss for them. But what do we care? Either C Lee got the night off, or they are close to a deal. Why else would you not play someone you were shopping? Glover went five which was nice. Got the win. But five relievers? I missed the game, but it must have been an over-management extravaganza. '

They definitely need to find a starter that can go longer than five innings. Every time Glover pitches, they have to burn out the bullpen.

foulkesfan11
05-19-2002, 01:06 PM
I think Glover will do better the more he plays. Last year after playing a lot, he did well. As for losing Carlos, I really don't mind it. He has his days, but then again, he has many off days too.

Tragg
05-19-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I guess if the Sox are going to deal away someone for pitching, Carlos is the logical one to trade. I just hate the thought of letting that much "raw potential" get away. :D:

Yes that's the problem - lee has potential, but all we'll get for him will be an average pitcher - perhaps yet another inning eater - perhaps an expensive one who we won't sign next year.
KW needs to be patient and find a good deal, if one exists, and not force one if one doesn't. This guy actually traded a player for Alan Embree, don't forget.
On the other hand, he got virtually nothing for Baldwin (32 year old career minor leaguer - "the trade stands"), so perhaps it's our turn to find a prospective free agent for free as well.