PDA

View Full Version : I love WSI!!

AZChiSoxFan
10-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Yesterday, just for kicks, I started checking out some of the fan forums from other MLB teams (I used the links from the thread at the top of this section of WSI).

Man oh man, most of them are absolutely brutal!!

Looking at some of them inspired me to make this post stating how much I love WSI!!

doublem23
10-17-2008, 02:27 PM
WSI loves you too... But only as a friend.

spawn
10-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Speak for yourself.:tongue:

Sox4ever77
10-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Yesterday, just for kicks, I started checking out some of the fan forums from other MLB teams (I used the links from the thread at the top of this section of WSI).

Man oh man, most of them are absolutely brutal!!

I checked the Dodgers boards after they lost the NLCS and that board is among the worst. Not even sure why WSI has a link to that board.

AZChiSoxFan
10-17-2008, 02:48 PM
I checked the Dodgers boards after they lost the NLCS and that board is among the worst. Not even sure why WSI has a link to that board.

TOTALLY agree with you. That might be the worst. That place is beyond awful. I don't think you're allowed to post there unless you include 4 or more cuss words in each post.

MarySwiss
10-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Actually, MotownSports isn't bad, and I think we can give Oblong a lot of credit for that.

turners56
10-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Actually, MotownSports isn't bad, and I think we can give Oblong a lot of credit for that.

MotownSports minus Timbetroll is decent. With Timbertroll, it's stupid yet hilarious at the same time.

IronFisk
10-17-2008, 05:00 PM
MotownSports minus Timbetroll is decent. With Timbertroll, it's stupid yet hilarious at the same time.

I think you people have far too much time on your hands. I can hardly keep up with this board.

Daver
10-17-2008, 05:11 PM

Who elected you to speak for the group?

turners56
10-17-2008, 05:21 PM
I think you people have far too much time on your hands. I can hardly keep up with this board.

I only go there when I'm really really bored. Which is like once a month.

LoveYourSuit
10-17-2008, 05:57 PM
I am hugging each and one of you thru my computer as I type.

Peace and Love to you.

chisoxfanatic
10-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Not just the huge volumes of posters that are here (this place never gets that "dead" feel that so many other boards get), but this is really a great community as well. This is an enjoyable place to come to even during the offseason.

BleacherBandit
10-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Not just the huge volumes of posters that are here (this place never gets that "dead" feel that so many other boards get), but this is really a great community as well. This is an enjoyable place to come to even during the offseason.

IMO, most boards seem imposing and huge at first, what with all of the established posters, people with 20,000 posts and all of that. After a while, you settle in and feel at home. It took me a month or so for that to happen at WSI, but now everything seems familiar. The activity level is good here, but it isn't completely imposing, even in gameday threads. :smile:

Some of the forums on that list are completely dead. The Phillies one has about 1/3 the activity WSI had when their team advanced to the playoffs. That feels really lonely.

Boondock Saint
10-17-2008, 08:10 PM

True that. I think the reason that this place does so well is that people on here have an incredibly low tolerance for bull****, and people (especially the mods) do a fantastic job of keeping the rabble in check. There's a few forums that I read regularly, but never post on becasue I just can't relate to the people that post there. WSI has a very welcoming vibe about it.

Oblong
10-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks Mary, I appreciate it.

Turner, he/she is really good for comic relief. The obsession with all things Chicago has been exposed. It's really funny to read on a non Chicago MB.

WSI is one of the best sports boards I've been on and the reason I've stuck around for a few years.

Props to the moderators. It's can be hard work at times, especially when the team's doing very well. Then you get a bad game and people think it's college football where your season can be over after 2 losses.

goofymsfan
10-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Thanks Mary, I appreciate it.

Turner, he/she is really good for comic relief. The obsession with all things Chicago has been exposed. It's really funny to read on a non Chicago MB.

WSI is one of the best sports boards I've been on and the reason I've stuck around for a few years.

Props to the moderators. It's can be hard work at times, especially when the team's doing very well. Then you get a bad game and people think it's college football where your season can be over after 2 losses.

Agreed, this is why I've stayed even after the reason I came here in the first place is no longer with the sox and my favorite team is the Mariners.

Nellie_Fox
10-18-2008, 01:29 AM
I am hugging each and one of you thru my computer as I type.Get your paws offa me, you pervert.

DumpJerry
10-18-2008, 07:56 AM
It isn't?

You're welcome and thanks for the props.

whitesox901
10-18-2008, 02:10 PM
:D: I love you all dearly..not queerly

voodoochile
10-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Get your paws offa me, you pervert.

Group hug on Nellie!

If that fails, let's dogpile him...:D:

cub killer
10-20-2008, 08:47 AM
I've known all my life that the White Sox fan base is one of the most special in all sports. The Bears fan base is the Sox fan base, with a cub fan addition that we gracefully allow. I love the culture of brats and" Poelish Sassage", Western Avenue and Connie's Pizza. Catholic League sports and all the ethnic diversity. I have yet to see at other ballparks the diversity you see at Comiskey. I think if you work for a living, you will find it hard to judge someone on anything other than strength of character.

And now, instead of having to go to the barber shop or a little league game or Comiskey itself, all one needs to do is log on to talk to fellow Sox fans. And there is enough White Sox culture and history to keep everyone talking, even thru the offseason and losing seasons. I hope this site continues to grow and provide us a place to look forward to after a day at work, hearing recent sports or general news, or discussing a topic with friends.

All I would request would be a youtube section loaded with Sox videos. Other than that, WSI is a top notch forum.

Nellie_Fox
10-20-2008, 12:39 PM
The Bears fan base is the Sox fan base, with a cub fan addition that we gracefully allow.Historically incorrect; backwards, in fact. The Bears played at Wrigley and the Cardinals played at Comiskey, and the fan bases were roughly as you'd expect given the geography. There were lots of Cards/Sox fans who never switched their allegiance to the Bears when the Cards moved to St. Louis.

voodoochile
10-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Historically incorrect; backwards, in fact. The Bears played at Wrigley and the Cardinals played at Comiskey, and the fan bases were roughly as you'd expect given the geography. There were lots of Cards/Sox fans who never switched their allegiance to the Bears when the Cards moved to St. Louis.

Correct. Remember, the Bears played their home games at Wrigley until 1969 (?). I have a buddy who grew up a flubbie fan living in Cicero. His Mom was a Cardinals fan and when they left town he never jumped on the Bears' bandwagon. He's a Steeler fan through and through. Still, his pattern is opposite of most people.

MeteorsSox4367
10-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Historically incorrect; backwards, in fact. The Bears played at Wrigley and the Cardinals played at Comiskey, and the fan bases were roughly as you'd expect given the geography. There were lots of Cards/Sox fans who never switched their allegiance to the Bears when the Cards moved to St. Louis.

As was the case with my grandfather. Loved the Sox, loved the Cardinals, wasn't that nuts about the Bears. Even now with my own Dad, he's a Sox fan who'll watch the Bears, but doesn't live and die with the team.

Nellie_Fox
10-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Even now with my own Dad, he's a Sox fan who'll watch the Bears, but doesn't live and die with the team.That pretty much describes me. The Cardinals moved away when I was ten or eleven years old, and I didn't pay any attention to football at all after that until late in high school. My connection to the Bears is very luke-warm.

DSpivack
10-20-2008, 03:36 PM
As was the case with my grandfather. Loved the Sox, loved the Cardinals, wasn't that nuts about the Bears. Even now with my own Dad, he's a Sox fan who'll watch the Bears, but doesn't live and die with the team.

That pretty much describes me. The Cardinals moved away when I was ten or eleven years old, and I didn't pay any attention to football at all after that until late in high school. My connection to the Bears is very luke-warm.

Might it also matter which sport you like more?

My dad liked football more than baseball, was a huge Bears fan, but a baseball fan in general, didn't root strongly for any one team (I could never figure it out, he liked the Cubs, Sox and Cardinals). Me, I like baseball more, love the Sox and the Bears.

doublem23
10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Might it also matter which sport you like more?

My dad liked football more than baseball, was a huge Bears fan, but a baseball fan in general, didn't root strongly for any one team (I could never figure it out, he liked the Cubs, Sox and Cardinals). Me, I like baseball more, love the Sox and the Bears.

There are always exceptions, but Nellie is correct, for a very long time the rule was Cub fans were Bear fans and Sox fans were Cardinal fans.

asindc
10-20-2008, 04:19 PM
I generally agree with the posts here. I found this forum during the playoff run in 2005. One of the things small regrets I've always had about moving out here to DC is that I lost some connection to the important things I grew up with. Being able to come here and comiserate with fellow Sox fans (and belittle the occasional rival fan, Oblong excluded, of course:smile:) leaves me feeling less disconnected from the Sox.

It makes not being able to see most of the games a bit more bearable. Now if we can just get MLB to offer the Extra Innings package a la carte...

cub killer
10-22-2008, 03:01 AM

Well from what I've seen in the present day, is that 95% of Sox fans are Bears fans while about 80% of cub fans are Bears fans. You're more likely to hear a cub fan say that Bears games are "too violent" for them than a Sox fan would.

There's a post in the archives here that mentions how the SNL Superfans were more likely to be Sox fans than cub fans. I agree with that 100%. I was pissed when they had a new Superfan go on Weekend Update in 2003 to lament about the cubs. What they should have done, in 2005 when they had Pods on the show, was to have Pods meet the Superfans and have the Superfans cheer about the cubs' ineptitude rather than cheer the Sox' WS title, which would baffle Podsednik. The exagerration of the cub-hating stereotype woulda been hilarious.

decolores9628
10-22-2008, 03:50 AM
I know I don't post much, but i honestly LOVE it here. Definately one of my favorite sites ever.

voodoochile
10-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Well from what I've seen in the present day, is that 95% of Sox fans are Bears fans while about 80% of cub fans are Bears fans. You're more likely to hear a cub fan say that Bears games are "too violent" for them than a Sox fan would.

There's a post in the archives here that mentions how the SNL Superfans were more likely to be Sox fans than cub fans. I agree with that 100%. I was pissed when they had a new Superfan go on Weekend Update in 2003 to lament about the cubs. What they should have done, in 2005 when they had Pods on the show, was to have Pods meet the Superfans and have the Superfans cheer about the cubs' ineptitude rather than cheer the Sox' WS title, which would baffle Podsednik. The exagerration of the cub-hating stereotype woulda been hilarious.

You've got some really odd perceptions of flubbie fans... I've never heard a single one of them say that about football.

Anyway, it might be that more flubbie fans are out of town football fans because they jumped on the flubbie bandwagon as a young adult when they moved to town, but continued to root for their home town football team.

esbrechtel
10-22-2008, 11:17 AM
A college friend introduced me to WSI right after the World Series Victory in 2005. All I remember is that I was so mad I didn't know about it sooner. It would have helped get me through the tough times....

This is by far the best fan site on the web. The knowledge on the site is second to none. I come here first when it comes to any happenings in ANY sport. I love reading posts in the Parking Lot and discussing Hawks Hockey and Bears football almost as much as I love discussing our beloved White Sox in the Clubhouse. This board has better discussion about the bears than any bears fan board.

THANKS WSI FOR A GREAT PLACE TO CHAT!