PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe it

AZChiSoxFan
10-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Last night, I stopped at the grocery store on my way home to pick up a few items. I passed by the magazine section so I stopped to look around. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a "magazine" there, put out by the Chicago Sun-Times entitled "The Chicago Cubs Magical 2008 Season." :angry::rolleyes::cuss::puking:

Keep in mind, I live in suburban Phoenix, AZ!

I didn't have time to find a manager to ask if those were now being given away.

DSpivack
10-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Last night, I stopped at the grocery store on my way home to pick up a few items. I passed by the magazine section so I stopped to look around. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a "magazine" there, put out by the Chicago Sun-Times entitled "The Chicago Cubs Magical 2008 Season." :angry::rolleyes::cuss::puking:

You mean Chicago's westernmost suburb? :tongue:

Craig Grebeck
10-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Man, if only you could have taken it to that damn manager! Keep fighting the good (read: useless) fight!

GoGoCrede
10-17-2008, 02:44 PM

Well, it's getting colder. You could always use extra kindling.

My parents have a house in Bullhead City. I love AZ. But whenever I go to Target or wherever, there are always Cubs and Boston hats available, scatted amongst the Dbacks stuff.

kittle42
10-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Up until 2005, any season in which a Chicago team made the playoffs was considered "magical."

Unfortunately, one side of town did not get the 2005 memo.

ChiSoxFan81
10-17-2008, 03:01 PM
The 2008 season for Chicago's Unsightly Baseball Stain was about as magical as David Blaine. If only their next trick was to disappear.....

cub killer
10-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Up until 2005, any season in which a Chicago team made the playoffs was considered "magical."

Unfortunately, one side of town did not get the 2005 memo.

Exactly. 83, 84, 89 and 93 were big deals for the city, they deserve the attention. But 2005 should have changed everything. These cub fans are like the little kids who stick their fingers in their ears and close their eyes. They want to deny it ever happened. We just gotta keep wearing our Sox colors (which isn't hard to do, we have the best logo in baseball, maybe all of sports) everywhere we go, year 'round and never shy about what our #1 hobby is: being Sox fans. So my advice to the original poster is to not let up the Sox Pride out there in AZ. If it annoys the cub sheep out there, even better.

I ran into a cub fan recently who was so sad about what happened this year. She said "Chicago just never wins anything." I brought up 2005, she goes "yeah, but it's just not the same." I wonder what the Sox organization did that was so wrong to get people to feel this way. Was it the tacky blue in the early years of New Comiskey? What's the deal? Are kickass uniforms, great ballpark food, excellent sightlines, ample parking and winning baseball just not enough?

C-Dawg
10-20-2008, 06:41 AM
I brought up 2005, she goes "yeah, but it's just not the same." I wonder what the Sox organization did that was so wrong to get people to feel this way.

I've heard more than a few Cub fans dismiss 2005 as a "fake World Series" or various other names along those lines. They REALLY refuse to believe it was real!

voodoochile
10-20-2008, 10:13 AM
They still consider 1969 a "magical season" why is this a surprise? Also, lots of displaced Chicagoans in AZ.

The Critic
10-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Well, it was magical.....in just three games, they disappeared.
(Sorry, CSF81, I just had to mutate your joke!)
:D:

ChiSoxFan81
10-20-2008, 11:28 AM
I've heard more than a few Cub fans dismiss 2005 as a "fake World Series" or various other names along those lines. They REALLY refuse to believe it was real!

Seriously. My buddy who is a big Cubs fan likes to tell me that it was a fluke because of the AJ play and Dye's phantom HBP and all that. I mean, for starters, we can't control what the umpires do. Oh, not to mention the fact that we led wire-to-wire, went 11-1 in the playoffs, and had 4 consecutive complete games in the ALCS. But all I ever hear about is how we ALMOST blew that 15 game lead, and about the umpiring calls. It's truly sad.

Smokey Burg
10-20-2008, 02:03 PM
I can believe it, I just don't understand it. Winning the division two years in a row without a playoff win is not magical, maybe delusional, but definitely not magical. I deal with a couple of dense-as-lead cub fans that always bring up the AJ play. What I consider one of the best examples of heads-up baseball play over the last 4 seasons, they consider cheating. I guess its just ones objectivity, or lack of it.

esbrechtel
10-20-2008, 03:01 PM
I love the cub fans that say, "AJ is a cheater." Is it really possible to cheat without actually breaking any rules?

ComiskeyBrewer
10-20-2008, 03:23 PM

I work in delavan Wi at a retail store(pays for college, kinda), we have had a setup for that for a few weeks now(too many cubs fans vacation up here), so the day after the cubs were knocked off, i decided to set it up front and center in the enterance of the store. :tongue:

johnr1note
10-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Well, it's getting colder. You could always use extra kindling.

My parents have a house in Bullhead City. I love AZ. But whenever I go to Target or wherever, there are always Cubs and Boston hats available, scatted amongst the Dbacks stuff.

My Dad has more proverbs than Aesop has fables, but one of them is,

"No matter where you go in the world, you are going to find some ******* wearing a Cubs hat."

HomeFish
10-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Everytime I see that book at the store, I laugh. How can anyone get angry at something so hilarious?

Dick Allen
10-21-2008, 06:03 PM

I didn't have time to find a manager to ask if those were now being given away.I thought it was just me. Last night, in one of the newsstands at the Dallas airport, I see the same book/magazine. Is this so people from all over the world can get a good laugh over this? Otherwise, who the $%@! would want one of these?

FedEx227
10-21-2008, 06:20 PM
My Dad has more proverbs than Aesop has fables, but one of them is,

"No matter where you go in the world, you are going to find some ******* wearing a Cubs hat."

Exactly. So why do people let it worry them. That's exactly true.

guillensdisciple
10-23-2008, 12:31 AM

The White Sox own Chicago, thats whats real or not, they represent Chicago in every way. **** the Cubs, I would never want 100 years of pathetic baseball as the representation of Chicago. The Sox will win another one before the Cubs win one and I am guaranteeing you many Cubs fans will eat their own ****. Even though they should be doing that right now.

cub killer
10-23-2008, 07:16 AM
The White Sox own Chicago, thats whats real or not, they represent Chicago in every way. **** the Cubs, I would never want 100 years of pathetic baseball as the representation of Chicago. The Sox will win another one before the Cubs win one and I am guaranteeing you many Cubs fans will eat their own ****. Even though they should be doing that right now.

Awesome post. When I look at the White Sox uniforms, colors and logo, they just scream Chicago. Add to that the hard working personnel we've had this decade (Paulie, Bobby, Mark, Ozzie, JD), and the team further exemplifies the spirit of this city. The nickname of our town is The City That Works. The White Sox are the baseball team that has lived up to that title. To me, it's not about north side and South Side, it's about who you are and what your personality is. If you believe in solid American values like hard work and honesty, you'll lean towards the Sox. If you'd rather coast thru life, let chemicals dictate whether you have fun or not, and be self-absorbed and annoying to others, then you'll lean towards the cubs.

kittle42
10-23-2008, 09:10 AM
If you believe in solid American values like hard work and honesty, you'll lean towards the Sox. If you'd rather coast thru life, let chemicals dictate whether you have fun or not, and be self-absorbed and annoying to others, then you'll lean towards the cubs.

This really is a bunch of stereotypical nonsense.

I generally try to coast through life, hate hard work, lie all the time, enjoy way too much alcohol in order to have fun, and am often seen by others as self-absorbed and annoying. I would guarantee a lot of other Sox fans (or fans of any team, or people in general, for that matter) share some or all of these traits.

I mean, really, I absolutely hate these broad brush paintings of any fanbase. They're just bull****.

soxpride724
10-23-2008, 09:54 AM

I generally try to coast through life, hate hard work, lie all the time, enjoy way too much alcohol in order to have fun, and am often seen by others as self-absorbed and annoying. I would guarantee a lot of other Sox fans (or fans of any team, or people in general, for that matter) share some or all of these traits.

I mean, really, I absolutely hate these broad brush paintings of any fanbase. They're just bull****.

Kittle you nailed it right on the head, thank you. I share some of those qualities as well.:cool:

PaleHoser
10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
It's a shame that trees had to die to print that garbage.

spawn
10-23-2008, 12:39 PM
I saw this one in Walgreen's just last week:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/32930000/32935454.JPG

And it wasn't a copy that was hidden. It was being prominently displayed. Just wondering how historical the season was if you're swept in the first round of the playoffs...

jdm2662
10-23-2008, 12:44 PM

And it wasn't a copy that was hidden. It was being prominently displayed. Just wondering how historical the season was if you're swept in the first round of the playoffs...

It was all over the place in Barne's and Noble last Saturday. I can't wait to see all the dust the newsstands get...

SOXPHILE
10-23-2008, 12:55 PM

So I take it you don't think the Bears are a "blue collar" team, just like the city, that must play "smashmouth football" and run the ball a lot ? :redneck

I've said before, I think the whole "blue collar-white collar thing" is silly. I've known many a blue collar Cubs fan, and quite a few white collar Sox fans. The way I view the fans is, most fans of the White Sox are passionate and knowledgable about their team and baseball as a whole. (That does not exlude them from boorish behavior). The same can be said about the Cubs fans, however, in the last 25+ years, they have tended to draw, attract, and promote the casual fans. This is why you are likely to see a lot more of the yuppies/frat boys/tourists, who really don't know that much about baseball or are not into the game at hand, and are more interested in seeing and being seen, (and mass alcoholic consumption). It is why when I see someone claiming to be a Cubs fan, or wearing Cubs paraphernalia, I'm wondering, or sometimes asking them, if they are really a Cubs fan, or are they a "Cubs Game Fan" ? I think in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, the amount of actual Sox-Cubs fans is probably pretty close to even. When you throw in these casual "Cubs Game" people, that's where the whole "There's WAY more Cubs fans than Sox fans" comes from.

kittle42
10-23-2008, 06:25 PM
So I take it you don't think the Bears are a "blue collar" team, just like the city, that must play "smashmouth football" and run the ball a lot ? :redneck

I've said before, I think the whole "blue collar-white collar thing" is silly. I've known many a blue collar Cubs fan, and quite a few white collar Sox fans. The way I view the fans is, most fans of the White Sox are passionate and knowledgable about their team and baseball as a whole. (That does not exlude them from boorish behavior). The same can be said about the Cubs fans, however, in the last 25+ years, they have tended to draw, attract, and promote the casual fans. This is why you are likely to see a lot more of the yuppies/frat boys/tourists, who really don't know that much about baseball or are not into the game at hand, and are more interested in seeing and being seen, (and mass alcoholic consumption). It is why when I see someone claiming to be a Cubs fan, or wearing Cubs paraphernalia, I'm wondering, or sometimes asking them, if they are really a Cubs fan, or are they a "Cubs Game Fan" ? I think in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, the amount of actual Sox-Cubs fans is probably pretty close to even. When you throw in these casual "Cubs Game" people, that's where the whole "There's WAY more Cubs fans than Sox fans" comes from.

I agree with all this.

doublem23
10-23-2008, 06:38 PM

I know what my Cub fan mother and brother will be getting for Christmas.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

GoGoCrede
10-23-2008, 07:04 PM

Ho! Ho! Ho!

When I saw those at the Borders downtown last week, they still weren't marked down! :redneck

kittle42
10-23-2008, 07:21 PM
When I saw those at the Borders downtown last week, they still weren't marked down! :redneck

It's tough to discount MAGIC!

slavko
10-23-2008, 07:51 PM

Ho! Ho! Ho!

That's the spirit. Buy it, give it as gifts, display it proudly. Sox fans will get the joke, Cubs fans won't. You'll be popular with everyone!