PDA

View Full Version : Sox free agents:

NLaloosh
10-17-2008, 10:58 AM
It looks as though the Sox have 4 free agents for which they may receive compensation.

Cabrera A
Griffey B
Uribe B
Crede B

As I understand it, the Sox, if they offer arbitration and it is refused by the player, would receive compensation.

One supplmental pick for a type B player between the 1st and 2nd round. And, one of these plus the signing team's first round pick if # 16 or later. If that team has a pick # 1-15 then they get their 2nd rounder.

Also, should a FA player sign with another team prior to 12-01 then the team automatically gets compensation.

So, should the Sox offer arb. to these 4 players?

Cabrera- obviously

Griffey- not unless they're certain that he'll turn it down.

Uribe and Crede ? What do you think?

I say Uribe for sure because they can keep him or trade him or get a draft pick. None is a bad option.

Crede. I say yes also because I don't think that Boras would let him accept it. Or, the same as Griffey, not unless they believe that he'll turn it down.

Is there any chance that the Sox want Crede back next year? It doesn't seem that way.

Dan Mega
10-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Offer it to Uribe, I have a feeling he'll take it and he can be valuable off the bench. He still has the best infield glove on the team.

Crede and Cabrera, why not. They'll both turn it down and the Sox will get compensation. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Griffey Jr? Don't offer it! He may take it. The Sox could get the same production out of BA with a better glove and more speed.

btrain929
10-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Crede is not a B. We will get no compensation for him. Griffey were not going to offer arbitration to. The only picks we will get will be from Cabrera leaving and Uribe if he refuses our arbitration.

palehozenychicty
10-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Offer it to Uribe, I have a feeling he'll take it and he can be valuable off the bench. He still has the best infield glove on the team.

Crede and Cabrera, why not. They'll both turn it down and the Sox will get compensation. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Griffey Jr? Don't offer it! He may take it. The Sox could get the same production out of BA with a better glove and more speed.

That is kind of disheartening as well. I just don't want him starting 145+ games.

soxrme
10-17-2008, 11:30 AM

they didn't do it for Maggs and lost an allstar and/or picks

EMachine10
10-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Crede won't be a type B free agent. Offer Cabrera to get the picks out of it, and offer Uribe, because I'd still like to see him around next year.

munchman33
10-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Cabrera is an obvious yes, Griffey is an obvious no. Try to sign Juan without arbitration.

ode to veeck
10-17-2008, 12:37 PM
yep, but too bad crede is not a b because his ability to play consistently would way work against any arbitration

Gammons Peter
10-17-2008, 12:56 PM
who decides who is A/B and when will it be decided

khan
10-17-2008, 01:10 PM
The best deal Cripple Crede will get is an arbitration offer from the SOX. I don't think KW should offer it, nor do I think that he will.

oeo
10-17-2008, 01:22 PM
who decides who is A/B and when will it be decided

The Elias Sports Bureau has some formula that determines it. So technically, it's already been 'decided', the results just don't get released until the World Series is over.

No one knows the formula, but this guy (http://tigers-thoughts.blogspot.com/2008/08/projected-elias-rankings.html) thinks he does.

doublem23
10-17-2008, 01:33 PM
they didn't do it for Maggs and lost an allstar and/or picks

If we offered Maggs arbitration, he would have taken it, then we wouldn't have signed JD, Maggs would have played 1/2 the season for us, and we wouldn't have won the World Series in 2005, so uh, you can keep your draft picks.

RedPinStripes
10-17-2008, 04:03 PM
If we offered Maggs arbitration, he would have taken it, then we wouldn't have signed JD, Maggs would have played 1/2 the season for us, and we wouldn't have won the World Series in 2005, so uh, you can keep your draft picks.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. :redneck

Daver
10-17-2008, 04:09 PM
The best deal Crede will see this off season is if the Sox do offer him arbitration.

munchman33
10-17-2008, 04:09 PM

While that would have blown immensely, I'm not so sure he accepts the arbitration. What does happen, however, is Kenny has to hold off on making acquisitions until after the arbitration deadline. I'm pretty sure we'd have missed out on Dye by then.

jabrch
10-17-2008, 04:22 PM
The best deal Crede will see this off season is if the Sox do offer him arbitration.

You don't think he could get more than 4mm for 1 year on the open market?

hellview
10-17-2008, 04:31 PM

Someboy will offer him a for around 5 million plus incentives if he stays healthy.

Hell I wouldn't be shocked if he's playing in Minnesota next season.

doublem23
10-17-2008, 04:37 PM
While that would have blown immensely, I'm not so sure he accepts the arbitration. What does happen, however, is Kenny has to hold off on making acquisitions until after the arbitration deadline. I'm pretty sure we'd have missed out on Dye by then.

I don't know, when did Maggs sign with the Tigers? Around the time the Sox declined arbitration, Boras and Ordonez were refusing to work out for teams and keeping a hush hush on his mysterious knee injury. Maybe I'm forgetting the timeline correctly, but ultimately, JD would not have signed here and we'd be here today, on a 91-year drought.

Daver
10-17-2008, 04:42 PM
You don't think he could get more than 4mm for 1 year on the open market?

No.

Had he shown full recovery from the surgery maybe, the fact that he showed the surgey was not a success makes him a huge risk for a team to sign him to play everyday.

DumpJerry
10-17-2008, 05:09 PM
No.

Had he shown full recovery from the surgery maybe, the fact that he showed the surgery was not a success makes him a huge risk for a team to sign him to play everyday.
Sounds like the kind of guy the Tigers would love:
1. Medical issues
2. Borass client.

Ivan Rodriguez and Maggs both fit the above criteria when they signed with the Kitties.

munchman33
10-17-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't know, when did Maggs sign with the Tigers? Around the time the Sox declined arbitration, Boras and Ordonez were refusing to work out for teams and keeping a hush hush on his mysterious knee injury. Maybe I'm forgetting the timeline correctly, but ultimately, JD would not have signed here and we'd be here today, on a 91-year drought.

Maggs was also taking PED's to recover from surgery quickly so he could workout for teams and sign a big contract. He wasn't going to accept.

tstrike2000
10-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Sounds like the kind of guy the Tigers would love:
1. Medical issues
2. Borass client.

Ivan Rodriguez and Maggs both fit the above criteria when they signed with the Kitties.

True, the only difference is since it's his back, it could always be a chronic problem. Like anything, only time will tell.

doublem23
10-17-2008, 05:43 PM
The only sensible thing to do with Joe Crede at this point is just cut him loose. There's no need to gamble adding another couple million dollars of pay for a guy who is a serious injury risk for the chance at 1 extra draft pick that will likely not pan out, anyway.

Daver
10-17-2008, 05:46 PM
The only sensible thing to do with Joe Crede at this point is just cut him loose. There's no need to gamble adding another couple million dollars of pay for a guy who is a serious injury risk for the chance at 1 extra draft pick that will likely not pan out, anyway.

There will be no compensation for Crede, the Elias rating is based on the players last two seasons.

RockJock07
10-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Someboy will offer him a for around 5 million plus incentives if he stays healthy.

I would say the Brewers are in the market too but not for 5 million.

DumpJerry
10-18-2008, 06:54 AM

Bad back + artificial turf= permanent disability.

Also, the Twins offering someone 5M plus incentives? Carl Pohlad makes Bill Wirtz look like Santa Clause. There's a reason why there is no retractable dome over the new stadium up there. $$$$$$$

JB98
10-18-2008, 01:32 PM

That would shock me. Crede gets injured every time he plays on turf.

whitesox901
10-18-2008, 01:35 PM

I wouldnt quite go there, he'll probably want to go to the NL to keep the Batting Average up, and one with a hitters park, my guess would be Philly or Cincy.

russ99
10-18-2008, 03:25 PM

I don't believe that. Boras will print up his 100 page book and shill around and some stupid GM will offer him an inflated salary. But maybe only for 1-2 years due to the injury concerns.

soxinem1
10-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Bad back + artificial turf= permanent disability.

Also, the Twins offering someone 5M plus incentives? Carl Pohlad makes Bill Wirtz look like Santa Clause. There's a reason why there is no retractable dome over the new stadium up there. $$$$$$$

Never say never. They gave that to Livan Hernandez to come to the AL where he would be even more of BP pitcher than he was in the NL. Lucky for them, COL took them off the hook when they waived him.

Plus, in another year, MIN will be playing on grass.

But I doubt they'll sign Crede unless it is for practically nothing. They'll bring some guy up from the minors who will hit .390 with 12 HR's in 19 games against the White Sox in 2009.

Daver
10-18-2008, 04:03 PM
I don't believe that. Boras will print up his 100 page book and shill around and some stupid GM will offer him an inflated salary. But maybe only for 1-2 years due to the injury concerns.

Teams are tripping themselves to sign an everyday third baseman that plays less than 100 games a season to a 5 million dollar a year contract.

DumpJerry
10-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Never say never. They gave that to Livan Hernandez to come to the AL where he would be even more of BP pitcher than he was in the NL. Lucky for them, COL took them off the hook when they waived him.

Plus, in another year, MIN will be playing on grass.

But I doubt they'll sign Crede unless it is for practically nothing. They'll bring some guy up from the minors who will hit .390 with 12 HR's in 19 games against the White Sox in 2009.
Hernandez is a pitcher, you have to pay more for pitching. Also, Crede has sciatica, a permanent condition which can flare up at any moment. You can go months without any problems and then, WHAM!, you need a cane to get around for a few days.

I expect to see Crede coaching somewhere in baseball within two-three years. His playing days are dwindling fast thanks to his back.