PDA

View Full Version : Letter from Fenway Park Game 5 ALCS

Fenway
10-17-2008, 12:59 AM
MERCY as the late Ned Martin would say on Boston broadcasts ( Hawk stole it from Ned )

Top of the 7th the Red Sox were dead after the Papelbon move backfired. Fenway was as silent as a ballpark can be and perhaps 10,000 left....fools

Honestly I think Tampa had their chance to slay the dragon and let Boston escape. The scoreboard flashed next home game Wednesday at 8:35 vs Philadelphia. I would not bet against it now.

Can the Rays bounce back from this? Well they will be at home but they will not sleep well the next 2 nights.

Just an amazing game at Fenway.

thedudeabides
10-17-2008, 01:14 AM
Crazy game Fens. I'm surprised to hear so many left. But, not surprised as the suits often don't have the faith nor the patience to stick around.

As much as I don't like the Red Sox that was an amazing comeback and I'm happy I get to watch baseball on Saturday. I still think the Rays take this series, but that is a big blow.

I have to say, Francona never allows his players to give up. You saw some of that in Ozzie this year, but Tito has taken it to a new level. No matter what happens, the Red Sox fans should appreciate the fact that they didn't lay down. It would have been easy to down 7-0. JD Drew has to be one of the biggest enigmas in the history of basbeall.

Fenway
10-17-2008, 02:54 AM
Crazy game Fens. I'm surprised to hear so many left. But, not surprised as the suits often don't have the faith nor the patience to stick around.

As much as I don't like the Red Sox that was an amazing comeback and I'm happy I get to watch baseball on Saturday. I still think the Rays take this series, but that is a big blow.

I have to say, Francona never allows his players to give up. You saw some of that in Ozzie this year, but Tito has taken it to a new level. No matter what happens, the Red Sox fans should appreciate the fact that they didn't lay down. It would have been easy to down 7-0. JD Drew has to be one of the biggest enigmas in the history of basbeall.

I honestly have no idea how this will play out now.

My gawd Tampa had a 7 run lead with 7 outs to go and lost it.

Tampa Bay is the better team but ...........

Honestly I think Boston wins this now.

WhiteSox5187
10-17-2008, 03:58 AM
MERCY as the late Ned Martin would say on Boston broadcasts ( Hawk stole it from Ned )

Top of the 7th the Red Sox were dead after the Papelbon move backfired. Fenway was as silent as a ballpark can be and perhaps 10,000 left....fools

Honestly I think Tampa had their chance to slay the dragon and let Boston escape. The scoreboard flashed next home game Wednesday at 8:35 vs Philadelphia. I would not bet against it now.

Can the Rays bounce back from this? Well they will be at home but they will not sleep well the next 2 nights.

That's weird cuz I thought Boston still had to win two more games in Tampa before they played on Wenseday.

I wonder if this is at all like in 1986 during the World Series the scoreboard at Shea Stadium flashed some sorta message, "Congratulations World Champion Boston Red Sox" or something to that effect. I forget which game it was though. I wonder how that series turned out. I also seem to recall last year a paper in Boston published some sort of book called "19-0" about the Patriots, but I don't remember how that game turned out for the Pats. In fact, just this year I seem to recall a bunch of blue books being published titled "This is the Year!" but I never really looked into what they were all about..

Fenway
10-17-2008, 04:42 AM
That's weird cuz I thought Boston still had to win two more games in Tampa before they played on Wenseday.

I wonder if this is at all like in 1986 during the World Series the scoreboard at Shea Stadium flashed some sorta message, "Congratulations World Champion Boston Red Sox" or something to that effect. I forget which game it was though. I wonder how that series turned out. I also seem to recall last year a paper in Boston published some sort of book called "19-0" about the Patriots, but I don't remember how that game turned out for the Pats. In fact, just this year I seem to recall a bunch of blue books being published titled "This is the Year!" but I never really looked into what they were all about..

Was it cheesy for the scoreboard to say next home game vs Philadelphia? Probably but the remaining fans at Fenway were filled with hope. Heck it beat putting up next home game April 6th.

No matter what happens this weekend at The Trop nobody can say Boston did not fight to stay alive. I am convinced if it goes seven Boston will win it.

Game 5 was an incredible comeback win for Boston. Can they win 2 more? I can't bet against them now. The Rays are in danger of having a pennant collapse worse than the Cubs 5 years ago.

Game 6 could be a game for the ages. If the Rays win then Game 5 is forgotten...but if they don't...........

This is October baseball

Whitesoxfan23
10-17-2008, 07:51 AM
I really want the Red Sox to win this series. Hopefully they can pull it off.

kevingrt
10-17-2008, 08:00 AM

Any reason you are rooting for the Red Sox? Just wondering.

Whitesoxfan23
10-17-2008, 08:20 AM
I like Pedroria and Youkilis.

Fenway
10-17-2008, 08:21 AM

It comes down now to which Josh Beckett shows up for Game 6.

One factoid about Boston is they always seem to get to a Game 7 ( look it up ) They just don't win or lose in six games.

The incredible part of last night was you just knew when Ortiz made it 7-4 that Boston was going to win it.

hi im skot
10-17-2008, 10:13 AM

And that's why people hate the Red Sox.

SOXPHILE
10-17-2008, 10:43 AM
The scoreboard flashed next home game Wednesday at 8:35 vs Philadelphia. I would not bet against it now.

Ahh...no. It ends on saturday. Boston is fortunate that Dan Wheeler sucks, last saturday's performance not withstanding.

kobo
10-17-2008, 10:44 AM
The incredible part of last night was you just knew when Ortiz made it 7-4 that Boston was going to win it.
I turned the game off after he hit that bomb because I knew they were going to win. Ortiz had done nothing in that series until that point. I expect this to go 7 games now.

doublem23
10-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Any reason you are rooting for the Red Sox? Just wondering.

Don't let him get started.

Damn, I hate the Red Sox but last night... Wow... One of the craziest comebacks I've ever seen. I still think Tampa closes it out in Game 6.

areilly
10-17-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure which I would enjoy more:

a) the Red Sox getting trounced by the Rays in game six
b) the Red Sox getting crushed by the Rays in game seven
c) the Red Sox pulling off the comeback only to get brutalized in the World Series by the Phillies

kittle42
10-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Please Tampa, win tomorrow.

mccoydp
10-17-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure which I would enjoy more:

a) the Red Sox getting trounced by the Rays in game six
b) the Red Sox getting crushed by the Rays in game seven
c) the Red Sox pulling off the comeback only to get brutalized in the World Series by the Phillies

They all sound good, too bad I can only pick one. I say stop them before it gets too cocky; I go with option 'a'.

Whitesoxfan23
10-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Don't let him get started.

Damn, I hate the Red Sox but last night... Wow... One of the craziest comebacks I've ever seen. I still think Tampa closes it out in Game 6.

I don't like the Red sox. I just hate them less. Sorry I'm not buying into the stupid cowbells, the fake fanbase, etc. If that's not the popular opinion around here, I don't give a damn.

Railsplitter
10-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Just because the Carmines bounced back from 3-0 in 2004 doesn't mean a thing. I seem to remember The Dodgers winning a do or die World Series game 5 in 1977, and losing Game Six.

DSpivack
10-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Just because the Carmines bounced back from 3-0 in 2004 doesn't mean a thing. I seem to remember The Dodgers winning a do or die World Series game 5 in 1977, and losing Game Six.

Although it should have ended on 35th and Shields, the Red Sox postseason will be ended by James Shields.

cards press box
10-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Boston is fortunate that Dan Wheeler sucks, last saturday's performance not withstanding.

Many posters, including myself, have commented that the 2008 Rays remind them of the 2005 White Sox. There is, of course, one big difference -- the bullpen. By the end of 2005, Bobby Jenks was just lights out for the Sox. The Rays do not have a reliever of Jenks' caliber.

On a side note, the Red Sox under Terry Francona are now 8-1 in elimination games in the post-season. The one loss? That came to the White Sox and, yes, Bobby Jenks got the save in that memorable 5-3 victory on a Friday afternoon in early October 2005.

palehozenychicty
10-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Many posters, including myself, have commented that the 2008 Rays remind them of the 2005 White Sox. There is, of course, one big difference -- the bullpen. By the end of 2005, Bobby Jenks was just lights out for the Sox. The Rays do not have a reliever of Jenks' caliber.

On a side note, the Red Sox under Terry Francona are now 8-1 in elimination games in the post-season. The one loss? That came to the White Sox and, yes, Bobby Jenks got the save in that memorable 5-3 victory on a Friday afternoon in early October 2005.

David Price could be that guy, but they have barely used him, which is baffling. Many, many teams have won the title with a young lively arm like Price.

gaelhound
10-17-2008, 09:23 PM
I like Pedroria and Youkilis.

I do too! With a little garlic and olive oil!

Whitesoxfan23
10-17-2008, 09:36 PM
What's not to like about Youkilis and Pedroria, other than the uniform that they wear?

Brian26
10-17-2008, 10:35 PM

The Red Sox were absolutely dead last night. If they come back and win the next two, it's an even greater comeback than '04 or '07 IMHO.

DSpivack
10-17-2008, 11:43 PM
The Red Sox were absolutely dead last night. If they come back and win the next two, it's an even greater comeback than '04 or '07 IMHO.

There is no way in hell this would be bigger than 2004. That was against the Yankees, before they had won a Series, they were down 3-0 and lost Game 3 19-8. Now that's dead.

Nellie_Fox
10-18-2008, 01:33 AM
I do too! With a little garlic and olive oil!What, no fava beans and Chianti?

Brian26
10-18-2008, 09:44 AM
There is no way in hell this would be bigger than 2004. That was against the Yankees, before they had won a Series, they were down 3-0 and lost Game 3 19-8. Now that's dead.

2004 may be a bigger comeback historically because of the significance of winning their first WS Title in 86 years and also beating the Yankees. However, in practical terms, they were never down by seven runs in any of the four elimination games they played against NYY. Is winning four straight games bigger than winning three straight, with the first victory a seven-run comeback with seven outs left? I don't know. I think they were closer to being dead on Thursday night than they were in '04, but again just my opinion.

TommyJohn
10-18-2008, 09:52 AM

2004 may be a bigger comeback historically because of the significance of winning their first WS Title in 86 years and also beating the Yankees. However, in practical terms, they were never down by seven runs in any of the four elimination games they played against NYY. Is winning four straight games bigger than winning three straight, with the first victory a seven-run comeback with seven outs left? I don't know. I think they were closer to being dead on Thursday night than they were in '04, but again just my opinion.

I'm going to agree with Spivack, if only because in 2004 they were two outs away from being swept. Of course, we can't debate it until the series actually ends.

Railsplitter
10-18-2008, 10:26 AM
People forget the Carmines had to rally to force extra innings of Game Six of the 1975 World Series, only to lose Game Seven.

I didn't "know" the the Red Soox would win when they were down 7-4. I realized it was a possibility, just as the Rays adding another run was a possibility.

tstrike2000
10-18-2008, 02:25 PM
I still think Tampa closes it out in Game 6.

Please God, we hope so.

WhiteSox5187
10-20-2008, 01:42 AM

Well...they didn't flash the year, so maybe they'll open up 2009 against the Phillies on a Wenseday at 8:35?

Nellie_Fox
10-20-2008, 01:49 AM
Wenseday:help:

RadioheadRocks
10-20-2008, 03:22 AM
Meanwhile did SonsofSamHorn.net have a meltdown or what? Been trying to check it out for the past couple of hours and all I get is a white screen with "test" in the upper left corner, no other responses.

RadioheadRocks
10-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Still no luck with SonsOfSamHorn.net.

In the meantime here's a story from the Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/10/20/downtrodden_fans_quiet_after_loss/