PDA

View Full Version : WSI Predicts: Did the Rays just lose the series?

BadBobbyJenks
10-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Simple question, who is winning this series?

BleacherBandit
10-17-2008, 12:51 AM
The Rays...They have a one game lead.

soltrain21
10-17-2008, 12:53 AM
Their bullpen may have exploded TODAY, but the Rays offense is a buzz saw right now. They will win on Saturday.

Soxman219
10-17-2008, 12:58 AM
No, Rays will still win this series, but lose to the Phillies.

GreenWoman3212
10-17-2008, 12:58 AM
I think Boston can take one in Tampa, but two would be pushing it.

The Rays will win.

TheOldRoman
10-17-2008, 01:10 AM
After that game, I think the Red Sox will win. As I said in the other thread, after losing game 5 last year, the Indians were still sitting pretty, up 3-2. They were outscored 23-4 the next two games. If the Red Sox come out on fire Saturday and Sunday, those games, too, might be over before they start. Momentum is a crazy thing. Losing this game 5-3 might not have had an impact on the Rays, but losing a game they lead 7-0 might have a huge one. Time will tell how that affects the young Rays.

With the Red Sox doing this 2 times so far in the last 5 years, I can't bet against them. They are never dead. From time to time I think what might have happened if not for El Duque in the 2005 ALDS. Boston's best pitcher was going in game 4, and if they won that, they have all the momentum, and the confidence of having done it the year before. Game 5 is winner take all, and anything could have happened. That one inning might have changed our history. I just hope the Rays don't look back at the last 3 innings tonight and wonder what might have been.

BadBobbyJenks
10-17-2008, 01:18 AM
After that game, I think the Red Sox will win. As I said in the other thread, after losing game 5 last year, the Indians were still sitting pretty, up 3-2. They were outscored 23-4 the next two games. If the Red Sox come out on fire Saturday and Sunday, those games, too, might be over before they start. Momentum is a crazy thing. Losing this game 5-3 might not have had an impact on the Rays, but losing a game they lead 7-0 might have a huge one. Time will tell how that affects the young Rays.

Good post.

I am in the same line of thinking. It is not that the Rays lost tonight, but they blew a 7-0 lead heading into the bottom of the 7th. They do have James Shields at home, but you have worry about some players letting this loss get to them. If I thought Beckett was 100% I would put this one in the bag for Boston, but I don't know about their pitching holding up. We will find out a whole lot about Maddon and these Rays in game 6.

Hitmen77
10-17-2008, 01:30 AM
I've seen this show before. Get ready for another trophy for Red Sox Nation.:puking:

I just hope the Rays dominance at home and the BoSox pitching woes give this series to Tampa Bay. But tonight was a huge blow for the Rays....a Cubs-worthy choke. Look for the evil Red Sox to make us puke on Sunday.

chisoxfanatic
10-17-2008, 01:47 AM
No, Rays will still win this series, but lose to the Phillies.
I'd love for everything about your post to materialize.

cub killer
10-17-2008, 02:19 AM
I've seen this show before. Get ready for another trophy for Red Sox Nation.:puking:

I just hope the Rays dominance at home and the BoSox pitching woes give this series to Tampa Bay. But tonight was a huge blow for the Rays....a cubs-worthy choke. Look for the evil Red Sox to make us puke on Sunday.

It's only cubs-worthy if the Rays lose the series, which I hope they don't.

Here's hoping cub fans aren't feeling a "bond" with the Rays after what happened tonite. Their team is not on the Rays' level.

grv1974
10-17-2008, 02:23 AM
The Rays cuz they're heading back to Tropicana Field and are pretty invincible there.

Thatguyoverthere
10-17-2008, 02:32 AM
The Rays will win on Saturday and then no one will care that the Red Sox came back today.:shrug:

LoveYourSuit
10-17-2008, 02:36 AM
The Rays will win on Saturday and then no one will care that the Red Sox came back today.:shrug:

ESPN will call it the greatest game in the history of baseball, from here forward.

The tone at ESPN is like a complete 180 anytime the Red Sox win. They are way so giddy right now, more than if the Rays would have taken the pennant tonight (which in my opinion is 100X the bigger story).

As for the rest of the series. Josh Beckett sucks right now. This series is done.

LoveYourSuit
10-17-2008, 02:41 AM
It's only cubs-worthy if the Rays lose the series, which I hope they don't.

Here's hoping cub fans aren't feeling a "bond" with the Rays after what happened tonite. Their team is not on the Rays' level.

:rolleyes: Everything has to do with Cubs for you?

Get off it, it's getting old quick.

Eddo144
10-17-2008, 08:25 AM
ESPN will call it the greatest game in the history of baseball, from here forward.

The tone at ESPN is like a complete 180 anytime the Red Sox win. They are way so giddy right now, more than if the Rays would have taken the pennant tonight (which in my opinion is 100X the bigger story).

As for the rest of the series. Josh Beckett sucks right now. This series is done.
Bingo. An ailing Beckett spells doom for Boston.

turners56
10-17-2008, 03:54 PM
I don't see the Rays bullpen being any good next year. They have a bunch of guys in there who had career years. Sooner or later, teams will find out how to hit the lights of Balfour and Howell. It looks like the Red Sox already did.

They're going back to Tampa. I don't see the Rays losing the next two games.

doublem23
10-17-2008, 04:16 PM
I don't see the Rays bullpen being any good next year. They have a bunch of guys in there who had career years. Sooner or later, teams will find out how to hit the lights of Balfour and Howell. It looks like the Red Sox already did.

They're going back to Tampa. I don't see the Rays losing the next two games.

Exactly. I think TB will be able to squeeze out at least 1 more win at home and get to the World Series, but everyone needs to be real about them; they're not a dynasty in the making, even the last few years when the Rays were ****ty, they had a good offense. They won 90+ games this year because they're bullpen dropped about 4 points in ERA from '07 to '08. Next year, they'll probably have an OK 'pen and the team will win around 81 games and the guys on BBTN will spend endless hours debating "why all the Longorias and Uptons in the world can't find the magic again," when the answer will be right under their noses.

turners56
10-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Exactly. I think TB will be able to squeeze out at least 1 more win at home and get to the World Series, but everyone needs to be real about them; they're not a dynasty in the making, even the last few years when the Rays were ****ty, they had a good offense. They won 90+ games this year because they're bullpen dropped about 4 points in ERA from '07 to '08. Next year, they'll probably have an OK 'pen and the team will win around 81 games and the guys on BBTN will spend endless hours debating "why all the Longorias and Uptons in the world can't find the magic again," when the answer will be right under their noses.

The Rays bullpen has been bad all series. They've given up at least a run in every one of the games. To give up 8 runs with 9 outs left is unacceptable. The Red Sox and Rays have played each other 23 times this season already. I think the fact that the Red Sox hitters have had so much success against the bullpen is that they've seen them enough to adjust. It's not all that hard to figure out that Balfour throws nothing but fastballs and Howell will throw you his Greg Maddux-like tailing fastball with two strikes. Dan Wheeler hasn't been all that good all year, he's nothing more than an average pitcher. I think the prescence of a healthy Percival could of saved the game yesterday for the Rays. Their lack of a definitive closer hasn't killed them much yet, but it eventually will. They've been lucky that their biggest weakpoint hasn't been exposed yet all that much.

SOXPHILE
10-17-2008, 04:43 PM
The series ends on saturday. As long as Dan Wheeler is not allowed to dress for the game.

MeteorsSox4367
10-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Tampa Bay has to finish this off Saturday night. There's no way I want to see this go to seven games.

Win, Rays, Win!!

LITTLE NELL
10-17-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm pulling for the Rays but if they lose game 6 the Sawx will take the series.

Michstate45
10-18-2008, 12:08 AM
If you turn the Rays and the Red Sox into "Team A" and "Team B", then I would say "Team A" would be fine and would probably win either game 6 or game 7 at home.

However, because this is "Tampa Bay" and "Boston", I really think that the situation is different. What's really bad for the Rays is their usually reliable bullpen just got brought back down to earth. Not only does that play into the psyche of the Rays starting pitchers, but also into the minds of the Red Sox hitters.

Thankfully Maddon has his ace going tomorrow night. He'll need at least 7 innings out of him in my opinion if the Rays want to win.

FedEx227
10-18-2008, 12:31 AM
I'm nervous, I won't lie. I really do think the Rays can do it, but I'm still just a little nervous of what might happen.

JB98
10-18-2008, 02:24 PM
The series ends on saturday. As long as Dan Wheeler is not allowed to dress for the game.

Wheeler obviously threw the ball poorly in Game 5, but he was the Rays player most responsible for their victory in Game 2. He threw 3 1/3 shutout innings.

I don't think Beckett is healthy, so I think the Rays will still win the series.

SBSoxFan
10-19-2008, 12:12 AM
I think the prescence of a healthy Percival could of saved the game yesterday for the Rays. Their lack of a definitive closer hasn't killed them much yet, but it eventually will. They've been lucky that their biggest weakpoint hasn't been exposed yet all that much.

Wheeler obviously threw the ball poorly in Game 5, but he was the Rays player most responsible for their victory in Game 2. He threw 3 1/3 shutout innings.

I don't think Beckett is healthy, so I think the Rays will still win the series.

I haven't been following the series much at all, but after Thursday's game and then tonight, I'm thinking Maddon lost the series by the way he managed the pitching. Would Ozzie have taken Kazmir out after 6 innings? No way. In the playoffs, you let your best players carry you. Your best pitchers are not middle relief. And to let your "closer" pitch 3-1/3 innings in game 5 with the possibility of still having 2 games left? :thud:

JB98
10-19-2008, 12:15 AM
I haven't been following the series much at all, but after Thursday's game and then tonight, I'm thinking Maddon lost the series by the way he managed the pitching. Would Ozzie have taken Garza out after 6 innings? No way. In the playoffs, you let your best players carry you. Your best pitchers are not middle relief. And to let your "closer" pitch 3-1/3 innings in game 5 with the possibility of still having 2 games left? :thud:

Obviously not, because Wheeler pitched 3 1/3 in the critical Game 2 for the Rays, NOT in Game 5. And Kazmir, not Garza, was on the hill for the Rays in Game 5.

ohthosechisox
10-19-2008, 12:17 AM
As much as I want the Rays to win, I think the Red Sox are going to take this series now. I thought Tampa might have had a chance tonight with Shields pitching against Beckett who has been struggling, but the momentum seemed to have carried over from game 5.

I hope I get to swallow these words tomorrow because I really want the Rays to make the World Series.

SBSoxFan
10-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Obviously not, because Wheeler pitched 3 1/3 in the critical Game 2 for the Rays, NOT in Game 5. And Kazmir, not Garza, was on the hill for the Rays in Game 5.

Yep, I corrected it. The Wheeler thing was just a brain cramp I guess. I was going by your previous post, which obviously said Wheeler went 3-1/3 in game 2. :redface:

chisoxfanatic
10-19-2008, 12:27 AM
I haven't been following the series much at all, but after Thursday's game and then tonight, I'm thinking Maddon lost the series by the way he managed the pitching. Would Ozzie have taken Kazmir out after 6 innings? No way. In the playoffs, you let your best players carry you. Your best pitchers are not middle relief. And to let your "closer" pitch 3-1/3 innings in game 5 with the possibility of still having 2 games left? :thud:
In a league where most managers are pitch count oriented, I'm not surprised Kazmir was taken out after six innings. He had 111 pitches. With a 7-0 lead with three innings to go, your bullpen SHOULD be able to carry you to a win. It's not like they had a slim lead. It was a blow out!

SBSoxFan
10-19-2008, 12:42 AM
In a league where most managers are pitch count oriented, I'm not surprised Kazmir was taken out after six innings. He had 111 pitches. With a 7-0 lead with three innings to go, your bullpen SHOULD be able to carry you to a win. It's not like they had a slim lead. It was a blow out!

You're right; it's a lot of pitches, but even one more inning changes the complexion of the game. Middle relievers are middle relievers for a reason.