PDA

View Full Version : Sawx Loving

Lefty34
10-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Is anyone else here sick of the ESPN/media-coverage bias towards the Boston Red Sox? This is coming after I watched Baseball Tonight after the Rays went up 3-1 on the Sawx and the topic was: how can the Red Sox overcome this deficit. IMO, it should have been something like: how have the Rays gone up 3-1 in this series, or how the Rays dominated Sox (Red) pitching and will they continue to do so?

I really can't watch ESPN anymore, because right now, as I'm sure you all have seen, it's either how the Red Sox are primed to make another comeback or how Tony Romo is "Favre Tough" in wanting to play throuh his finger injury. No bias my ass. Thoughts?

jdm2662
10-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Is anyone else here sick of the ESPN/media-coverage bias towards the Boston Red Sox? This is coming after I watched Baseball Tonight after the Rays went up 3-1 on the Sawx and the topic was: how can the Red Sox overcome this deficit. IMO, it should have been something like: how have the Rays gone up 3-1 in this series, or how the Rays dominated Sox (Red) pitching and will they continue to do so?

I really can't watch ESPN anymore, because right now, as I'm sure you all have seen, it's either how the Red Sox are primed to make another comeback or how Tony Romo is "Favre Tough" in wanting to play throuh his finger injury. No bias my ass. Thoughts?

This is news? I stopped watching ESPN years ago. If I'm out of town, I will watch ESPN News, but that's about it.

bigsoxfan420
10-16-2008, 04:44 PM
This is news? I stopped watching ESPN years ago. If I'm out of town, I will watch ESPN News, but that's about it.

Yeah, I have quit watching as well. It all crap now, even BBT, which I used to love. I don't even know who's on it anymore.

Lefty34
10-16-2008, 04:46 PM

Yeah but I don't think I get ESPN News with my DirecTV package that I have for my room...what am I to do?

My point is that this Red Sox bias from ESPN is over the top this postseason. Like, really over the top.

Lip Man 1
10-16-2008, 05:26 PM
That's why they call them the Eastern Sports Programming Network (all Red Sox...all Yankees, all the time)

And that's why I stopped watching years ago when good analysts like Jim Kaat, Bill Robinson and Ray Knight left and were replaced by buffoons.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
10-16-2008, 05:31 PM
John Kruk is waste of a human space, and he takes a ton of it.

doublem23
10-16-2008, 05:34 PM
In other breaking news, I think they're having some problems recounting votes in Florida.

WhiteSox5187
10-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Bias? What bias?

Lefty34
10-16-2008, 06:44 PM
In other breaking news, I think they're having some problems recounting votes in Florida.

Yeah yeah I get it. But that Baseball Tonight segment really sent me over the top. Did anyone else see it?

It just seems to me now that they are praying the Rays blow it so they don't have to cover a Rays-Phillies series, much like Bud Selig is doing.

I guess my question is this, then: why is the media/baseball against new markets emerging?

chaerulez
10-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Yeah yeah I get it. But that Baseball Tonight segment really sent me over the top. Did anyone else see it?

It just seems to me now that they are praying the Rays blow it so they don't have to cover a Rays-Phillies series, much like Bud Selig is doing.

I guess my question is this, then: why is the media/baseball against new markets emerging?

I guess because MLB doesn't have the natural draw that the NFL has regardless who is playing. The NBA can always just market it's superstars, but the NBA has had some horrible television ratings since the post Jordan era, so maybe they aren't an example you want to follow.

But low television ratings don't seem to bother the NBA as it does MLB.

On a kind of related topic, to show you how stupid Boston fans are... if you type in "Curse of Len Bias" in Wikipedia, an actual entry comes up.

Lip Man 1
10-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Because Tampa, Philadelphia and so forth do not have the numbers population wise and more importantly TV watching wise to suit MLB.

They are in bed with Fox and ESPN.. they must get big population areas that pull in good TV numbers or else rebates must be handed out to advertisers (another name is make goods). These take the form of either reimbursing cash back to advertisers who were promised certain ratings numbers or else additional commercials are shown during other programming at no charge.

MLB, ESPN and Fox would rather slit their wrists then have to do that.

That's partially why the unspoken agreement between the parties is to promote New York and Boston as much as possible. If it takes place west of the Alleghenies, it doesn't matter to them.

Lip

jcw218
10-16-2008, 07:02 PM

IMO, it's all the $$$$$$. The rays making it to the series is a good story considering where they were. Teams such as the Sawx, Cubs, and Yankees all have a national following for whatever reason and are always big draws. For most of the casual baseball fans out there, there is nothing that will draw them into the games.

Eddo144
10-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Because Tampa, Philadelphia and so forth do not have the numbers population wise and more importantly TV watching wise to suit MLB.
You're right, but I never got this. Chicago is the third largest market in the US. According to this site (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp), Philadelphia is the fourth largest market in the country, which is larger than Boston, which is the sixth largest. (Los Angeles is obviously the second, while Tampa is a surprisingly respectable thirteenth.)

You would think that the Phillies and Rays play in Des Moines and Boise with the way that the media talks, yet the Phillies play in a market larger than the media darling Red Sox do.

turners56
10-16-2008, 08:11 PM
I can already see the SportsCenter headlines tonight..."What went Wrong?"

Domeshot17
10-16-2008, 11:11 PM
You're right, but I never got this. Chicago is the third largest market in the US. According to this site (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp), Philadelphia is the fourth largest market in the country, which is larger than Boston, which is the sixth largest. (Los Angeles is obviously the second, while Tampa is a surprisingly respectable thirteenth.)

You would think that the Phillies and Rays play in Des Moines and Boise with the way that the media talks, yet the Phillies play in a market larger than the media darling Red Sox do.

It isn't about local market size but national appeal and draw. They will do VERY well in Philly and maybe Florida, but poor across the US. If the Cubs ever made it they would do great ratings wise because of how wide spread their fanbase is with WGN. The Red Sox get a huge appeal because they cover more than Boston, and are more the team of choice for all the smaller states in the New England area and they get hyped more on ESPN and have more "star" players.

FedEx227
10-16-2008, 11:16 PM
The MLB is only shooting themselves in the foot. You can create new markets... it's very possible. Look at the NFL, who would've thought Indianapolis would be a mega-market for football?

MLB has rendered teams not named Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs or Dodgers as not mattering and the ratings reflect that. It's quite stupid on their part.

No other sports organization pushes a group of teams as much as the MLB does. No one else. The NBA goes with whatever team is big, superstar wise, which is great because typically when a Finals come up if it's LeBron vs. another star, people watch.

The MLB has a golden opportunity to showcase the Rays as this $45 million, underdog, 20-somethings team but instead takes the "How did Boston blow it?" route.

It's the Poochie effect and it's sickening... yet the same year, the same song and dance. "Why were World Series ratings so low?"

OldRomanPizza
10-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Get ready for a few more days of it....:(:

Soxman219
10-16-2008, 11:21 PM
ESPN is about to have an orgasm over this!:(:

WhiteSox5187
10-16-2008, 11:34 PM
The MLB is only shooting themselves in the foot. You can create new markets... it's very possible. Look at the NFL, who would've thought Indianapolis would be a mega-market for football?

MLB has rendered teams not named Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs or Dodgers as not mattering and the ratings reflect that. It's quite stupid on their part.

No other sports organization pushes a group of teams as much as the MLB does. No one else. The NBA goes with whatever team is big, superstar wise, which is great because typically when a Finals come up if it's LeBron vs. another star, people watch.

The MLB has a golden opportunity to showcase the Rays as this $45 million, underdog, 20-somethings team but instead takes the "How did Boston blow it?" route.

It's the Poochie effect and it's sickening... yet the same year, the same song and dance. "Why were World Series ratings so low?"
I agree 100%, but I can't help but wonder if part of the reason the NFL is able to market so well is because of all the gambling that goes on with each game. Reinsendorf has said that if you take away the gambling from the NFL it would probably be vying with the NHL for the most popular sport in America, but I don't know.

palehozenychicty
10-17-2008, 08:46 AM

Thank you. Then for Selig to institute revenue sharing is also hypocritical.
Why have revenue sharing when you aren't going to showcase teams that have benefitted it? Idiot. Really.

They never give a spotlight to teams on the rise in the regular season schedule. In a world with a real commissioner, if an emerging team makes the postseason and goes deep into it, then the general public has a timeline to follow over the spring and summer. Baseball has always been spoken of as the most allegorical, metaphysical game that America has, so sell the product this way.

It's Marketing 101. Only in MLB do they shoot down the product they're selling. :rolleyes:

Bob Raissman of the Daily News talks about this BS today:

linky (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/columnists/raissman/index.html)

Dan Mega
10-17-2008, 09:14 AM
ESPN sucks anyway, why even bother watching? I like PTI but that is about it.

ChiSoxFan81
10-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Thank you. Then for Selig to institute revenue sharing is also hypocritical.
Why have revenue sharing when you aren't going to showcase teams that have benefitted it? Idiot. Really.

They never give a spotlight to teams on the rise in the regular season schedule. In a world with a real commissioner, if an emerging team makes the postseason and goes deep into it, then the general public has a timeline to follow over the spring and summer. Baseball has always been spoken of as the most allegorical, metaphysical game that America has, so sell the product this way.

It's Marketing 101. Only in MLB do they shoot down the product they're selling. :rolleyes:

Bob Raissman of the Daily News talks about this BS today:

linky (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/columnists/raissman/index.html)

One of the commenters on there makes a great point. Why the hell do the games start so late? No one wants to stay up until 1 or 2 am on a weeknight to watch baseball, unless their team is in it, and even then they might not be able to watch til the end. If they want to raise ratings, start the games an hour or two earlier.

Listening to Joe Morgan announce the Sawx-Rays games makes me sick. When they were getting clobbered the other day, he just sounded whiny and pathetic. He was complaining about all the fans leaving Fenway early and wondering where it all went wrong.

whitesox901
10-17-2008, 10:41 AM
:o: you mean ESPN has a biased tword the Red Sux, Yankees, Mets & Phillies ?!?!??!?!!?

But I do rather enjoy BBTN