PDA

View Full Version : Griff has knee surgery

Evman5
10-15-2008, 07:06 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-081015-ken-griffey-jr-white-sox-knee-scoped,0,6029220.story

Apparently he had surgery to fix a partially torn cartilage and meniscus. His agent said that is was definitely a factor for him this season.

"It was bothering him from early in the season, and he made a decision to play through it as long as he was able to," Goldberg said Wednesday. "Not making excuses, but there is no doubt he was having trouble planting that left leg as far as generating power and bat speed and stopping and starting."

Maybe this can explain his drop in power and why he appeared to be a little overweight. Does this affect anybody's opinion of whether he should be brought back? I would like to see him as a 4th outfielder if he would accept for a chance to stay on and win a ring. And probably only under the circumstances that we somehow get rid of one of Thome/Konerko/Dye.

Whitesoxfan23
10-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Griffey being brought back, is a terrible idea. This shouldn't even be a consideration. We are trying to eliminate the "slowpoke" element from our lineup. Bringing him back doesn't help that.

Brian26
10-15-2008, 07:31 PM
I would like to see him as a 4th outfielder if he would accept for a chance to stay on and win a ring.

I'd like to see a fourth outfielder that could come in and steal a base if needed.

Evman5
10-15-2008, 07:34 PM
If he is willing to accept minimal playing time and we revamp our lineup to get rid of some of the base cloggers on this team, that is the only circumstance under which I would bring him back.

chisoxmike
10-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I'd like to see a fourth outfielder that could come in and steal a base if needed.

...that isn't named Jerry Owens.

thomas35forever
10-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Griffey's going to play somewhere in 2009. If it's here, we'll have to accept it.

getonbckthr
10-15-2008, 07:35 PM
That would explain why his knee gave out when he hit his first homer.

Evman5
10-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Kenny has a thing for Griff, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him back with the team in some capacity. He is on record saying he loved his time here. Pending what changes we make on our team, I might be ok with it as well.

kittle42
10-15-2008, 07:39 PM
What exactly does Griffey bring to the table that this club would need next season? A left-handed bat off the bench whom would immediately need to be pinch-ran for and cannot play adequate defense anymore?

Brian26
10-15-2008, 07:53 PM
What exactly does Griffey bring to the table that this club would need next season? A left-handed bat off the bench whom would immediately need to be pinch-ran for and cannot play adequate defense anymore?

"But I want to see him get a ring!"

Let him buy Moose Skowron's off Ebay.

Daver
10-15-2008, 08:10 PM
...that isn't named Jerry Owens.

He's got speed, the ability to actually play baseball takes a backseat to that, it is the Ozzie way. Maybe Ozzie has a plan to teach him how to lean into pitches.

Lefty34
10-15-2008, 08:37 PM
God forbid the playoffs end quickly and that Griffey-loving, Swisher hating troll can come back and see this thread.

MCHSoxFan
10-15-2008, 09:20 PM
God forbid the playoffs end quickly and that Griffey-loving, Swisher hating troll can come back and see this thread.

Who is that? The thread starter has been here since 2003.

FedEx227
10-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Who is that? The thread starter has been here since 2003.

I think he's referring to that Reds fan that came on here. I forgot what his name was, he was a real tool and got banned quick.

tstrike2000
10-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Even if Griffey decides to rework his 16 million option for '09, the Sox have enough tied up elsewhere so the chances of Grif coming back aren't there.

october23sp
10-15-2008, 09:31 PM
I want Griffey back mostly because I love him. How can you guys say hes not at least a dangerous bat. We don't need to make him a priority to get back but if he is I won't be mad.

Brian26
10-15-2008, 09:37 PM
How can you guys say hes not at least a dangerous bat.

Dangerous to the opposing team or dangerous to the Sox?

Evman5
10-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Dangerous to the opposing team or dangerous to the Sox?

Comeon he wasn't that bad...maybe against lefties, but overall he contributed. He had quite a few 2-out rbis and didn't do anything too costly in center field. He was also one of the only ones that showed up for that three games series at the Metrodome.

eriqjaffe
10-15-2008, 11:14 PM
I want Griffey back mostly because I love him. How can you guys say hes not at least a dangerous bat.Because it's 2008, not 1996.

he ... didn't do anything too costly in center field.What games were you watching? He had no range at all.

oeo
10-16-2008, 08:01 AM
What games were you watching? He had no range at all.

What games were you watching?

Look, Griffey wasn't Griffey of old out there, but some of you act like he was ****ing terrible. No range my ass. In fact, for his age and speed, his range was pretty damn good.

BTW, just say no to Griffey in 2009.

Evman5
10-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Because it's 2008, not 1996.

What games were you watching? He had no range at all.

I watched every game. I didn't say he was a gold glover out there. All I said was that he didn't lose us any games. And the ironic thing is that ultimately his defense was a large factor in helping us reach the playoffs. Maybe you want to pop in a tape of the play in game against Minnesota for reference. I don't want him as our starting cf next year, but he still makes good reads off the bats and takes the correct routes to the ball. I think if he gets himself back in shape he could be quite an offensive force next year.