PDA

View Full Version : Nice Off-Season Article Involving Williams

MCHSoxFan
10-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Link:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081011&content_id=3611372&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I like this "Josh Fields could take over at third -- if Fields' defense meets manager Ozzie Guillen's standards." :D:

BRDSR
10-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Link:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081011&content_id=3611372&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I like this "Josh Fields could take over at third -- if Fields' defense meets manager Ozzie Guillen's standards." :D:

I know Cabrera was never understood as a long-term fixture at shortstop for the White Sox, but is resigning him even an option? What do you think he gets on the open market? $8 million/year? More?

$2.65 million is a lot to pay for Mike MacDougal. I guess every signing/acquisition can't be a winner.

sox1970
10-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Link:

I hope Fields gets traded. I want him to be someone else's question mark. I think a lot of smaller market teams would want him.

I'd rather see a trade for a Chone Figgins, or a Casey Blake signing.

veeter
10-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Articles like this will be funny to look back on, as Kenny will probably make a bunch of changes. Personally, I don't want Josh Fields anywhere near third base next year. Maybe the kid will prove me wrong.

BRDSR
10-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Articles like this will be funny to look back on, as Kenny will probably make a bunch of changes. Personally, I don't want Josh Fields anywhere near third base next year. Maybe the kid will prove me wrong.

I bet Cabrera could be moved to third, Alexei to shortstop, and Getz starting at second. Package Fields and Brian Anderson for 1) a legitimate starting outfielder to add to Dye and Quentin or 2) bullpen help.

I think Cabrera could make a damn good third baseman, although I'm not sure why I'm having such a lovefest for him today.

veeter
10-14-2008, 07:50 PM
I bet Cabrera could be moved to third, Alexei to shortstop, and Getz starting at second. Package Fields and Brian Anderson for 1) a legitimate starting outfielder to add to Dye and Quentin or 2) bullpen help.

I think Cabrera could make a damn good third baseman, although I'm not sure why I'm having such a lovefest for him today.I like O.C. as a player, but he's just too nuts to keep. He'd never go to third anyway, as he seeks a starting SS job along with a great salary. He'll get both.

sox1970
10-14-2008, 07:51 PM

I think Cabrera could make a damn good third baseman, although I'm not sure why I'm having such a lovefest for him today.

Cabrera is done with the Sox, and that's a good thing. He's a piece of ****.

Like I mentioned, get a Figgins or a Blake, and they'll be covered at third. Hopefully they can re-sign Uribe for the utility infield spot, and he and Getz can play 2nd until Beckham is ready.

cheezheadsoxfan
10-14-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm ready for the Josh Fields experiment to end.

Lukin13
10-14-2008, 09:04 PM

When did it begin?

When he was jacking 23 homers in 373 at-bats?

Or when he was demoted to triple a, injured and then never really given another chance at the major league level?

It is too bad he isn't stronger in the field but there is no reason to sell low on a young, inexpensive, power hitter, when you play in a power hitter's ballpark.

Daver
10-14-2008, 09:20 PM
When did it begin?

Or when he was demoted to triple a, injured and then never really given another chance at the major league level?

It is too bad he isn't stronger in the field but there is no reason to sell low on a young, inexpensive, power hitter, when you play in a power hitter's ballpark.

Baseball is not an offensive sport.

BleacherBandit
10-14-2008, 10:28 PM

His defense can't be worse than Crede's this season. Crede made some flashy plays, no doubt, but he had what, 23 errors before he was gone this season? I doubt Fields will give up that many errors as fast. That said, we could get somebody a chance that wouldn't commit hardly any errors, but I say we give Fields a chance at the start of the season and see how he starts out.

LoveYourSuit
10-14-2008, 10:48 PM

I think in this era with smaller ballparks all around, you need to mash to survive. Baseball has become an offensive game, no question.

The Sox playing in perhaps the best hitter's park in the game next to TEX cannot afford to all of a sudden go from offensive minded to defensive. That's not playing to the strength of your ball park and homefield advantage.

eriqjaffe
10-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Link:

I like this "Josh Fields could take over at third -- if Fields' defense meets manager Ozzie Guillen's standards." :D:After Mackowiak, Swisher and Griffey, Fields probably already meets Ozzie's standards for a center fielder.

chisoxfanatic
10-14-2008, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't want both Getz AND Fields starting next season. Whomever looks better in spring training you play; but, hell, I want Chone Figgins at 3B with Uribe moving back to SS and TCM staying at 2B.

LoveYourSuit
10-14-2008, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't want both Getz AND Fields starting next season. Whomever looks better in spring training you play; but, hell, I want Chone Figgins at 3B with Uribe moving back to SS and TCM staying at 2B.

Please no.

We saw the difference between the Uribe hanging lose on the bench to the one pencilled in as a starter....HUGE DIFFERENCE.

He needs to be a utility guy to be succesful.

chisoxfanatic
10-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Please no.

We saw the difference between the Uribe hanging lose on the bench to the one pencilled in as a starter....HUGE DIFFERENCE.

He needs to be a utility guy to be succesful.
He was ok as your nearly every day starter once it was clear Crede wasn't coming back. He was still Mr. Loose Moose.

thedudeabides
10-14-2008, 11:15 PM

I think Uribe will be back in a utility role or not at all. I can't possibly see Getz and Fields in the same infield barring injury. Which happened to both of them last year. Way too many questions marks. I have to think a veteran acquisition will fill at least one of those spots.

As far as Fields goes, I think Ozzie has a problem with his defense because he has so many holes in his offense. Sure, he has power, but he strikes out a lot and has many of the same issues that are already wrong with this lineup. So, if he is a liability on defense, they can't afford another one dimensional offensive player.

He can improve on both ends, but they need to see it before they hand him a position.

LoveYourSuit
10-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Because of his contract and age, Swisher is the strongest bargaining chip KW has.

That's who he needs to move IMO to get this one guy he needs to turn this line up over with some wheels.

Brian Roberts is the name that comes to mind.

thedudeabides
10-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Because of his contract and age, Swisher is the strongest bargaining chip KW has.

That's who he needs to move IMO to get this one guy he needs to turn this line up over with some wheels.

You think the Sox can trade for Roberts with a package revolving around Swisher?

Swisher's value is at an all time low, meaning his cheap contract doesn't even look that cheap, and the O's have Adam Jones and Markakis penciled in the outfield for years to come. That's their only strength right now. They need pitching, and did you see the debacle it was last offseason going after Roberts?

California Sox
10-14-2008, 11:57 PM
The Sox are sitting on a lot of bad contracts right now as Thome, Konerko, Contreras, and probably Vazquez are making way more than they would get if they were free agents this year. That's going to make it hard for the Sox to fill their holes with veterans. Someone from the farm system is going to have to step up. Fields has some upside but obviously has to play better D and cut down on the Ks. Getz will never be a world beater, but if he could approach average infielder offensively, he'd be a good defensive player plugged in for cheap.

I doubt we see much payroll added until some of these guys come off the books.

Lip Man 1
10-15-2008, 12:57 AM
Love and all:

Baseball is now going to change radically from the steroid power days to one more along the lines of the 70's and early 80's where speed and the ability to play baseball (as opposed to being an "athlete") are going to return to prominence.

I tend to think Kenny and Ozzie are well aware of what's going to take place (and has started as home runs were down this season) and are going to try to get ahead of the curve.

Lip

RowanDye
10-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Love and all:

Baseball is now going to change radically from the steroid power days to one more along the lines of the 70's and early 80's where speed and the ability to play baseball (as opposed to being an "athlete") are going to return to prominence.

I tend to think Kenny and Ozzie are well aware of what's going to take place (and has started as home runs were down this season) and are going to try to get ahead of the curve.

Lip

I fear that it may be too little too late to get ahead of the curve (e.g. the 2008 Tampa Bay Rays), but as long as KW and Ozzie are committed to building a more dynamic offense there is hope for the long-term.

Quentin and Ramirez were tremendous additions. Now, barring some magical trade, we are going to have to wait a year or two before we can purge the team of aging designated hitters.

kitekrazy
10-15-2008, 10:58 AM

That is so White Sox.

Just another person to plug into the 1B/DH role.

kitekrazy
10-15-2008, 10:59 AM

I don't think Roberts will ever be traded.

kitekrazy
10-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Love and all:

Lip

I hope so.

whitesox901
10-15-2008, 11:05 AM
When did it begin?

I am more than willing to give Joshy, the start at third. I agree with that statement that he hasnt really had much of a another chance, he was injured early on in Charlotte, when he was playing in that series agiasnt detroit, he really wasnt at his full par.

hellview
10-15-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't think Roberts will ever be traded.

I think Roberts will be moved this offseason, but I don't see the Sox having the pieces to get it done.

voodoochile
10-15-2008, 11:43 AM
He was ok as your nearly every day starter once it was clear Crede wasn't coming back. He was still Mr. Loose Moose.

While on a contract drive.

ode to veeck
10-15-2008, 11:46 AM

and the sox are overloaded already with DH prospects

NLaloosh
10-15-2008, 12:57 PM
IMO, Kenny is going to trade Fields and try to keep Getz as a reserve.

He has to publicly prop up his opionion on both of them in order to get a good deal for Fields and make the other teams feel as though he's not desperate for a new 3Bman and a 2bman- which he is.

Fields no longer fits this team. Getz is worth keeping but he's not ready to start.

CashMan
10-15-2008, 01:00 PM

LOL, perhaps tell that to AL where they have the DH.

jabrch
10-15-2008, 01:03 PM
I am more than willing to give Joshy, the start at third.

Please don't start this....

hi im skot
10-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Please don't start this....

How about J-Fi?

:redneck

Nellie_Fox
10-15-2008, 01:31 PM
How about J-Fi?

:redneckI'm going with "J-Fizzle."

Eddo144
10-15-2008, 02:00 PM
I fear that it may be too little too late to get ahead of the curve (e.g. the 2008 Tampa Bay Rays), but as long as KW and Ozzie are committed to building a more dynamic offense there is hope for the long-term.

Quentin and Ramirez were tremendous additions. Now, barring some magical trade, we are going to have to wait a year or two before we can purge the team of aging designated hitters.
Tampa is all about the home run; in fact, it's directly responsible for their postseason success.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/big-ball-small-ball

Granted, pitching was their biggest strength during the regular season, but to attribute their success to defense and smallball is erroneous.

voodoochile
10-15-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm going with "J-Fizzle."

J-Fee would be more accurate...

Lip Man 1
10-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Eddo:

You realize the Rays led the A.L. in stolen bases and were tied with the Mets for the most in MLB?

Lip

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Eddo:

You realize the Rays led the A.L. in stolen bases and were tied with the Mets for the most in MLB?

Lip
You realize they've hit a ****-ton of home runs in the postseason?

champagne030
10-15-2008, 03:31 PM
You realize they've hit a ****-ton of home runs in the postseason?

They've hit 16 homers and stolen 12 bases. They would be staring at an 0-2 hole without the stolen base in the 5th and manufacturing the winning run on zero hits last Saturday. It's about balance. We currently have none.

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2008, 03:34 PM
They've hit 16 homers and stolen 12 bases. They would be staring at an 0-2 hole without the stolen base in the 5th and manufacturing the winning run on zero hits last Saturday. It's about balance. We currently have none.
Yes, and without HR where would they be?

Eddo144
10-15-2008, 03:54 PM
You mean this fifth inning (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=281011130)?

From ESPN:
Josh Beckett pitching for Boston
A Iwamura struck out looking.
B Upton walked.
B Upton stole second.
C Pena singled to right center, B Upton scored.
E Longoria doubled to deep left, C Pena scored, E Longoria to third advancing on throw.
J Lopez relieved J Beckett.
C Crawford singled to right, E Longoria scored.
W Aybar hit for C Floyd.
M Delcarmen relieved J Lopez.
W Aybar flied out to right.
D Navarro flied out to left.
3 Runs, 3 Hits, 0 Errors

Had Upton remained on first, he would have advanced to third on Pena's single, then scored on Longoria's double.

Saying this would have been more appropriate:
They've hit 16 homers and stolen 12 bases. They would be staring at an 0-2 hole without the home runs in the first, third fourth, and sixth innings last Saturday. It's about home run power. We currently have plenty.

soltrain21
10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
It's not just about home run power. They are currently hitting home runs because they are good hitters who take good swings every at bat.

Our team just tries to mash the **** out of the ball and hope for the best.

champagne030
10-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Yes, and without HR where would they be?

0-2. My point was you need both. We currently only have one.

You mean this fifth inning (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=281011130)?

From ESPN:
Josh Beckett pitching for Boston
A Iwamura struck out looking.
B Upton walked.
B Upton stole second.
C Pena singled to right center, B Upton scored.
E Longoria doubled to deep left, C Pena scored, E Longoria to third advancing on throw.
J Lopez relieved J Beckett.
C Crawford singled to right, E Longoria scored.
W Aybar hit for C Floyd.
M Delcarmen relieved J Lopez.
W Aybar flied out to right.
D Navarro flied out to left.
3 Runs, 3 Hits, 0 Errors

Had Upton remained on first, he would have advanced to third on Pena's single, then scored on Longoria's double.

Had Upton remained on first, Pena would have hit into a shift induced Jim Thome DP Special. Without the shift it's a single and RBI, the SB took them out of the shift and allowed the single.

Again, it's about balance.

Eddo144
10-15-2008, 04:11 PM
It's not just about home run power. They are currently hitting home runs because they are good hitters who take good swings every at bat.

Our team just tries to mash the **** out of the ball and hope for the best.
So why do we need new hitters who don't hit home runs? Why don't we get new hitters who do hit home runs, but don't take bad swings?

oeo
10-15-2008, 04:34 PM
So why do we need new hitters who don't hit home runs? Why don't we get new hitters who do hit home runs, but don't take bad swings?

Or fire Greg Walker...:dunno:

These guys can hit, it's all about approach. That's not to say I don't want changes to the lineup, but I think it starts at the top.

cards press box
10-15-2008, 10:01 PM

He was injured this year. A knee injury, unlike a bad back, is not a chronic condition. If Fields' knee is healed by spring training, I hope the White Sox give him a chance to make the roster. Fields hit 23 homers in about 2/3 of the season in 2007. What is more plausible: (a) his knee injury in 2008 messed up his whole season or (b) he forgot how to hit. I'm going with (a).

What's more, is it not possible that the bad knee diminished Fields' defense and baserunning as well as his hitting? A year ago, I thought that some posters were poised to give up on Gavin Floyd way too early. The same thing may be true with Josh Fields. I hope the White Sox give him a fair chance.

I hope Fields gets traded. I want him to be someone else's question mark. I think a lot of smaller market teams would want him.

I'd rather see a trade for a Chone Figgins, or a Casey Blake signing.

Why couldn't the White Sox have Fields and Chone Figgins? With Figgins' flexibility, the White Sox could play him at 3B and sometimes 2B and the outfield. Ozzie Guillen is quite skilled at working guys in the lineup and using the whole roster. Figgins, Fields and Getz could all get playing time.

whitesox901
10-15-2008, 10:19 PM
He was injured this year. A knee injury, unlike a bad back, is not a chronic condition. If Fields' knee is healed by spring training, I hope the White Sox give him a chance to make the roster. Fields hit 23 homers in about 2/3 of the season in 2007. What is more plausible: (a) his knee injury in 2008 messed up his whole season or (b) he forgot how to hit. I'm going with (a).

What's more, is it not possible that the bad knee diminished Fields' defense and baserunning as well as his hitting? A year ago, I thought that some posters were poised to give up on Gavin Floyd way too early. The same thing may be true with Josh Fields. I hope the White Sox give him a fair chance.

Why couldn't the White Sox have Fields and Chone Figgins? With Figgins' flexibility, the White Sox could play him at 3B and sometimes 2B and the outfield. Ozzie Guillen is quite skilled at working guys in the lineup and using the whole roster. Figgins, Fields and Getz could all get playing time.

the voice of reason