PDA

View Full Version : The Bartman Game...

JermaineDye05
10-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Is on ESPN classic right now for anyone intersted. It's just about to get to the 8th for anyone interested. I didn't really watch the game so I'm checking it out.

BadBobbyJenks
10-14-2008, 05:37 PM
The 8th inning with a man on and one out. I wonder if the Marlins are going to make this interesting.:popcorn:

Law11
10-14-2008, 06:34 PM
I saw the listing on the screen but it had a date on it of 2008 so i thought it was some game from this year and never turned it on..

doublem23
10-14-2008, 06:48 PM
So... What happened? :cool:

thomas35forever
10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
So... What happened? :cool:
Oh, some guy interfered and now everybody on the North Side hates him.

GoGoCrede
10-14-2008, 07:10 PM
I still feel horrible for the guy. He's still in hiding, I'm guessing? I hope he was able to move on from it all.

sox1970
10-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Alex Gonzalez blew it. Mark Prior blew it. Dusty Baker blew it.

Steve Bartman did not blow it.

GoGoCrede
10-14-2008, 07:15 PM

Didn't Alou retract his statement about how he wouldn't have caught it anyway? Says he doesn't remember saying that. :rolleyes:

Sox4ever77
10-14-2008, 07:16 PM

No way, having the Cubs take responsibility for the lost?

SoxNation05
10-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't think if Bartman is the reason the Cubs lost but I do think the fans are the reason the Cubs suck. They just don't deserve it.

chisoxmike
10-14-2008, 09:45 PM

:yup:

They'll never understand. Best part of the whole thing was that there was still another game to lose. Another game to lose that they had the lead in. And they did.

ChiSoxGirl
10-14-2008, 10:01 PM

I whole-heartedly subscribe to this line of thinking, too. We had some down time at the end of class last week, and one of my sixth grade students was just talking to me about this game. He asked why so many people blamed Steve Bartman and said he felt sorry for the guy and the way he was treated by Cub fans and the media. Here, we have an 11 year old thinking logically about the situation! I told him that it wasn't Bartman who lost that game- it was Dusty Baker mishandling the starting pitching (read: Prior), Alex Gonzalez booting the ball, and Prior throwing batting practice up there with a pitch count of somewhere around the 130 mark that contributed to that epic collapse.

Medford Bobby
10-14-2008, 10:01 PM
I wonder what the Cups home team of Pat and Ron radio version of this game sounded like. I have heard ESPN radio play by play version many times during rain delays.....it's classic audio like watching a train wreck over and over again.....:o:

getonbckthr
10-14-2008, 10:19 PM

I disagree and here's why. The man that blew it was Moises Alou. He keeps his cool and there is never a sense of "the curse." Your Prior or Gonzalez you know the history then you see that happen all of a sudden your thinking. I don't want my pitchers thinking about anything else but pitching and my fielders should only think about the ball coming.

C-Dawg
10-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Is on ESPN classic right now for anyone intersted. It's just about to get to the 8th for anyone interested. I didn't really watch the game so I'm checking it out.

I wish my system offered ESPN Classic; I've never actually seen that game other than various highlight clips. I remember going to bed that night about 8PM because I wanted to be NOWHERE around when the Cubs were celebrating going to the World Series! I actually didn't know the outcome of the game until I awoke the next morning and turned on the radio. All they were talking about that morning was "the fan"!

Ah, fun times! :bandance:

TheOldRoman
10-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Didn't Alou retract his statement about how he wouldn't have caught it anyway? Says he doesn't remember saying that. :rolleyes:I don't remember him saying he wouldn't have caught it, but I remember him throwing a hissy fit and then blaming Bartman after the game. In the last year, I believe he said "fans are too hard on Bartman", but still didn't appologize for acting like a moron and causing fans to blame him.

SaltyPretzel
10-14-2008, 11:07 PM
I remember going out for dinner for my 30th birthday that night (I'm 35 tonight). When I got my cake, and was told to make a wish, my future brother in law jokingly said "Marlins in 7". I guess I got my wish.

cub killer
10-15-2008, 12:17 AM
I was in cognito on Waveland Avenue. I had to be there to witness the spectacle, but I was hoping to God it wouldn't happen. However, by the time I got there, I had accepted that it would happen so I might as well witness it.

Some guy was holding up a mini TV for us to watch. I swear, as the game went further along and as the fans yelled "9 more outs!!" "8 more outs!!" and so on, I was getting a freakin ulcer. As the 8th inning hit and cops on horseback already started to encircle the Urinal, my stomach was hurtin' like hell. I actually felt a fear I hadn't felt since childhood, like when you're not ready for a test or when the minutes are ticking 'till your dad gets home to find out what you've done. Needless to say, my lip was almost bloody from my biting it during the collapse. I had to hold in my cheering. I did yell out "the curse is back!" and the guy holding the TV accused me of being a Marlins fan. But no one really did anything.

It was a beautiful moment in Chicago history when the Marlins tacked up that crooked number. The fans were yelling ass-hole!, ass-hole! at Bartman when that foul ball happened. It was hilarous. I felt hugely relieved and the ulcer pain was gone. The sheep on Waveland dispersed and the typical cub fan sadness was back. Awesome.

There was a guy holding up a just-made sign saying "Kill that fan! He's wearing a green turtleneck". Some dork looked back at the ballpark and screamed "why can't you just win!" It was like the test I didn't study for got cancelled. A colossal relief.

chisoxfanatic
10-15-2008, 12:35 AM
A bunch of ISU football players from the state of Florida led a huge gathering on the ISU quad immediately after the Cubs got knocked out in Game Seven. I could easily see and hear it from my dorm room window, which was just 1 block away from the quad.

Soxman219
10-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I remember I was in the 8th grade and all the Cubs fans at school were going nuts. They had a rally the day of the Bartman game and all the Sox fans were kinda group into a corner. I when they were 5 outs away, I was about to go crazy. If my brother even mention the "Where are the White Sox" I would beat the living daylights out of him. Then I saw Bartman and the rest was history.

After Game 7, my English teacher wore Marlin colors (she was a Sox fan) and talked for 25 minutes about how the Cubs were terrible. I never seen a group of people angry in depressed in my life. I was in the back with two of my friends laughing so hard. I think it was the only day I paid attention in that class.:cool:

MISoxfan
10-15-2008, 12:40 AM
I was at Bilbo's in Kalamazoo that night, and it was awesome. I might have even been there for the next game too.

kittle42
10-15-2008, 01:07 AM
I could barely watch the game on TV from my place 4 blocks from Wrigley because I didn't want to see the Cubs make the World Series, After the last out, I literally sprinted toward the stadium with a Marlins hat on celebrating.

Luckily, two years later, I realized what *real* joy was like.

SOXPHILE
10-15-2008, 09:42 AM
I refused to watch even 1 second of the game. I sat watching some other network show with the remote in hand, fully prepared to change the channel for when they interupted with a SPECIAL REPORT of the Cubs winning the pennant. I was flopped out on the couch feeling depressed when the phone rang. It was one of my buddies (Sox fan) screaming into the phone "DID YOU SEE THAT ??!! DID YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENNED ??!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA ! THEY BLEW IT !!! DID YOU SEE THAT GUY ??!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!" I turned the channel and saw that the game had just ended and a bunch of angry depressed blue hatted idiots were milling about with stupid looks on their faces, and reporters talking about the incident. I felt some relief has my friend and I talked on the phone, mostly laughing. But, I reminded him there was still one more game.

I called him with 2 outs during the 9th inning of game 7, and again we stood there laughing and making fun of all the idiots in the park and in the street. I felt the biggest sense of joy, and mostly relief sweep over me, like I had just been pardoned death row and won the lottery at the same time. Little did I know, that that feeling couldn't hold a candle to the feelings I had exactly 2 years, 1 week and 4 days later.

thomas35forever
10-15-2008, 10:58 AM
I could barely watch the game on TV from my place 4 blocks from Wrigley because I didn't want to see the Cubs make the World Series, After the last out, I literally sprinted toward the stadium with a Marlins hat on celebrating.

Luckily, two years later, I realized what *real* joy was like.
Wow, you're bad. Good work.:thumbsup:

Here's the WSI thread from that glorious night:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25543&highlight=bartman

Cangelosi CF
10-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Cubs fans who blame Steve Bartman for the 2003 NLCS collapse are like misguided pundits who blame Donald Segretti for Watergate.

GoGoCrede
10-15-2008, 11:20 AM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25543&highlight=bartman

Great read, thanks!

Irishsox1
10-15-2008, 11:23 AM
The Bartman/Cubs thing grew bigger when the next year the Red Sox won it and the year after the White Sox won. It was as if the baseball gods were finally getting a world series for all of the long suffering teams but somehow the Marlins didn't get the memo.

Also, in Game 4 of the White Sox World Series, when Uribe jumped into the stands and took the ball away for the second out it was like the anti-Bartman play. It was as if the Cubs fans that turned in hopes of seeing the White Sox lose were kindly reminded of the Bartman play right before the White Sox won the World Series.

The Critic
10-15-2008, 11:39 AM
The two things I remember most about that game:

That day at work I was talking with two Cub fan co-workers and one of them asks me "So, you think the Cubs clinch tonight or tomorrow?" - I said "they'd better win tonight, cuz they're not winning a Game 7". "But Kerry Wood will pitch Game 7!" "I don't care who pitches that game, if they lose two games to get to Game 7, they're DONE". They wanted to put money on it, but I don't gamble at all, so I missed a chance to take a few bucks from them.

And the day after Game 6, my mom asked me about the Bartman play - she asked me how many runs scored on that play. I said "None, it was a foul ball" and she said "then what is everyone so angry about?"
That still makes me laugh.

thomas35forever
10-15-2008, 11:46 AM
I must confess that I started to concede the fact that the Cubs were about to make it and although I would still hope they'd lose the WS, I'd be happy for them since they were a Chicago team. I started doing a play-by-play around the eighth inning. When the play happened, I immediately thought of the scene in "Two Weeks Notice" where Sandra Bullock interferes with a Mike Piazza catch and how he tells her to "next time go to a Yankees game." I continued my play-by-play and my voice erupted in shear joy as it all came crashing down, especially during Gonzalez's error. I remember seeing that play more than any other before or after that series of events. It was strange and I loved every minute of it.:cool:

ChiSoxFan81
10-15-2008, 12:30 PM
I must confess that I started to concede the fact that the Cubs were about to make it and although I would still hope they'd lose the WS, I'd be happy for them since they were a Chicago team. I started doing a play-by-play around the eighth inning. When the play happened, I immediately thought of the scene in "Two Weeks Notice" where Sandra Bullock interferes with a Mike Piazza catch and how he tells her to "next time go to a Yankees game." I continued my play-by-play and my voice erupted in shear joy as it all came crashing down, especially during Gonzalez's error. I remember seeing that play more than any other before or after that series of events. It was strange and I loved every minute of it.:cool:

I was also at the point of acceptance that they were in the WS, and actually was rooting for the Yankees because I thought they would have a better chance to beat the Cubs than the Red Sox (talk about the lesser of two evils). However, IMMEDIATELY when the Bartman play happened and Alou crapped himself, I KNEW the curse was alive. The Marlins confirmed my feeling by putting up 8, and I was never really that worried during game 7, even when the Cubs had the lead.

Moses_Scurry
10-15-2008, 01:04 PM

That was pretty fun to read; however, I think reading the NSBB.com thread on that game would be even more fun. Were they around back then?

GoGoCrede
10-15-2008, 01:40 PM
For longtime WSI posters, was the 2008 Cubs collapse sweeter than the Bartman game?

ChiSoxFan81
10-15-2008, 02:08 PM
For longtime WSI posters, was the 2008 Cubs collapse sweeter than the Bartman game?

If you could guarantee me in advance that the Cubs would be up 3-1 in the NLCS with a 3-0 lead in the 8th inning of game 6, and they would lose, I would take that every single time over getting swept in the first round after having the best record in the NL. This year was great, but you don't start to get that sick feeling until they are on the cusp of the WS. It was great to see them fail this year again, but the absolute turn around from unwilling acceptance to pure joy was far superior. Throw in the Bartman incident, and it becomes ever better.

PatK
10-15-2008, 02:29 PM

I wouldn't say sweeter, just different. Kind of like how I prefer different beers depending on what I'm eating.

2008 was sweet because of the attitude of the fans and media that we had to sit through this year. Them getting all the glory, while we were the redheaded stepchild. And then they end up being the only team to get swept in the playoffs (up until this point).

2003 was great because I've never seen so many adults cry over something so insignificant in life. The best was before they even blew it, on the news they interviewed some guy who started crying that was like "No matter what happens, they are lovable loser no more".

He was right, now they are just losers.

beasly213
10-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Sigh.. memories. I too like many was starting to accept the fact that they would be going to the World Series.

I was at the Old "Oasis 160" in Chicago Heights and they had the game on the TV. It was the 8th inning and the Marlins we're just starting to bat. I left and started to drive home. I had on Q101 and the annoyind DJ was chirping about how the Cubs we're goign to do it.

I changed the station only to change back about an hour or so later to hear the DJ say "this is unbelivable.. they lost today.." I'll never forget the tone of his voice.

I remember saying "YES" (In Hawks Voice) and beeping my horn a couple times.

Oh man that was a hilarious night for me when I got home and my dad said to me in a sarcastic tone "Nooo. not this year we're goign to win this year" Ha awesome.

whitesox901
10-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Oh, some guy interfered and now everybody on the North Side hates him.

Really? Then What Happend :cool:

jdm2662
10-15-2008, 04:11 PM
I was bowling in West Chicago with jcw218 and another Sox fan as we did every Tuesday night. Jcw218 was decked out in Sox gear as usual. We did glance at the game as it was on the TV screen above our lane. As the game went further, we started to pay attention more. By the 8th inning and one out, I turned around and said: "Well guys. They are going to the Series. We will just have to deal with it and accept it." As much as I didn't want it to happen, I pretty much accepted as reality and go on with life. We all know what happened after that.

I remember after seeing Florida take the lead, I went off to the rest room. I came back and saw an eight spot. I had to ask my friend to pinch my ass to make sure I wasn't dreaming. He refused.

I watched game 7 with a couple of Cub fan friends in Forest Park. By the 8th inning, I was tired and went home. Besides, I sensed defeat, and felt they should be mourning without me. Sure enough, the final out came, and I turned off the TV and went to bed. It was an interesting two nights, to say the least.

Hard to believe that was five years ago. A lot has happened since then.

Mr.1Dog
10-15-2008, 04:17 PM
I was tending bar down in Champaign during the game. The manager was a Sox fan and the two other bartenders were Cardinal's fans. We all rocked our respective teams shirts or hats that evening. When the Marlins took the lead, we recognized all those rooting for the Marlins (Cards and Sox fans). We bought them a round of shots and beers. The Cubs fans in the bar were stunned and the manager ran up to the DJ booth to play Thunderstruck. It was glorious.

Ex-Chicagoan
10-15-2008, 04:49 PM
I didn't see the game, either, but had been listening to the national feed on the radio. I was in the Jewel in Oak Forest right after the 8-spot, and this cashier was all distraught.

"Isn't that just terrible about the Cubs?" she asked.
"No, not really," I smiled.
You'd have thought I'd have killed a puppy.

JermaineDye05
10-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Temporary Hijak:

They're just about to show the Gibson shot on ESPN Classic

eriqjaffe
10-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I was at home, watching the game with my wife. After the, uh, Bartman incident (and, in particular, Moises Alou's fit about it), I remember distinctly saying, "Wow, this could kill them."

Foulke You
10-15-2008, 06:22 PM
I was at home, watching the game with my wife. After the, uh, Bartman incident (and, in particular, Moises Alou's fit about it), I remember distinctly saying, "Wow, this could kill them."
I remember not thinking that much of the play when it happened other than I thought Alou went a little too berzerk. I did have hope that the Marlins would rally though but when that tailor made double play ball rolled to Alex Gonzalez, my heart sank. I remember leaping off the couch when he bobbled the ball and was quite confident after that play that the collapse of the Cubs was inevitable. I remember thinking how Alex Gonzalez was going to be infamous now. I figured this was going to be their "Buckner Play". Of course, I should have known Cubs fans were far stupider than that and decided to blame a poor fan for their failures. Alex Gonzalez should send a fruit basket to Bartman every year. It's because of him that he can still walk the streets of Chicago safely.

kevingrt
10-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Was at my friends house playing poker and watching the game. Four Scrubs fans and two Sox fans. During the whole inning me and my Sox friend were in happy shock. We thought we were going to get murdered as well. And I won $400 in poker that night.

What a night!

pearso66
10-15-2008, 06:58 PM
I wasn't watching the game. I decided to turn it on to see what was going one. No sooner did I turn it on than Bartman "screwed" them up. When I saw how Alou reacted I told my girlfriend that if they failed they would blame it on Bartman. Then I saw the biffed DP and Prior blow up and the 8 spot, and I was rolling on the floor with laughter. I knew when it happened they would blame him, and sure enough they did. It was a great day.

Huisj
10-15-2008, 07:13 PM
I was living in Grand Rapids, and the guys I lived with and I always went to B-dubs for cheap wings that night of the week. We got there and the place was packed with typical west michigan bandwagon cub fans (and luckily I had my Sox hat on). It was so busy that we had to sit at a table with two other random people, one with a Red Sox hat on and the other with a Yankees hat on, both of them rooting like crazy for the Cubs. :scratch:

Anyway, when we were in line waiting to sit down, it was the 7th inning, and I remember actually saying "wouldn't it be sweet if Prior just blew up here?"

And then he and the rest of the team did. And I had a huge smile on my face, and the rest of the place went into depression. What a night.

GreenWoman3212
10-15-2008, 07:22 PM
I'll admit to wearing a Marlins hat that night. I was a cocky little 14 year old. I remember going to the gas station and the guy thought I was insane because I was wearing a Marlins hat, but then he saw the Sox shirt.

When I went to class the day after the 7th game...my teacher was going on and on about how Bartman was to blame. Me and another Sox fan started chuckling and she threw us out of class.

Happy days!

turners56
10-15-2008, 07:49 PM
I was writting a paper during this game because I was in 7th grade. I never saw the Bartman play live, but it was awesome to see Gonzales screw up the double play.

turners56
10-15-2008, 07:49 PM
I'll admit to wearing a Marlins hat that night. I was a cocky little 14 year old. I remember going to the gas station and the guy thought I was insane because I was wearing a Marlins hat, but then he saw the Sox shirt.

When I went to class the day after the 7th game...my teacher was going on and on about how Bartman was to blame. Me and another Sox fan started chuckling and she threw us out of class.

Happy days!

Talk about sour grapes.

turners56
10-15-2008, 07:50 PM

No. The Bartman game came out of left field. There wasn't that big of a doubt that the Cubs would blow after the second inning of game 2.

kittle42
10-15-2008, 08:43 PM
No. The Bartman game came out of left field.

Pun not intended. :redneck

Hitmen77
10-15-2008, 09:29 PM
:yup:

They'll never understand. Best part of the whole thing was that there was still another game to lose. Another game to lose that they had the lead in. And they did.

The Cubs had THREE chances to put that NLCS away and win the pennant. They were up 3-1 with one more to play in Fla and then 2 at home. That's the exact same position the Phillies are in entering tonight's game....and the same position the Sox were in entering game 5 of the '05 ALCS for that matter.

I remember after the Cubs lost game 5 in Florida, all the Cub fans were sure they had the pennant in the bag because they had the unbeatable Prior and Wood going in game 6 and 7 at home. They blew 3 chances, but it's all Bartman's fault.

turners56
10-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Pun not intended. :redneck

:redneck Indeed.

DSpivack
10-16-2008, 01:43 AM
Talk about sour grapes.

I was in my freshman year of college and had some big paper due the next day, so I wasn't watching it, but talking to some HS friends online. One in particular called me an ******* and a terrible human being for rooting against a Chicago team. This from someone who now has a graduate degree from Oxford. :rolleyes:

C-Dawg
10-16-2008, 08:24 AM
I did yell out "the curse is back!"

After the Cubs lost Game 1 of that series, I started a thread called "The Cubs Curse" on another forum (rather than create trouble in the various pro-Cubs threads). I really felt stupid when they were soon leading the series 3 games to 1! But true to form the Curse was alive and well and they blew their comfortable lead and lost three games straight, including the last two at home, behind their best pitchers.

Ah, the memories! Thanks for the fun, everyone!

:gulp:

jdm2662
10-16-2008, 11:32 AM
I was in my freshman year of college and had some big paper due the next day, so I wasn't watching it, but talking to some HS friends online. One in particular called me an ******* and a terrible human being for rooting against a Chicago team. This from someone who now has a graduate degree from Oxford. :rolleyes:

That's really something I got a laugh at more than anything. It was a crime and classless to root against the cute and cuddley Cubbies. How dare you!

In 2005, if you weren't rooting for the Sox, I said good. Stay on the north side. We don't want you. The Sox are my team, not yours. I will enjoy this. Besides, I was too busy watching my team's run instead of worrying about what other people were thinking.

Iwritecode
10-16-2008, 11:48 AM
I was working retail at the time as a second job and every time they had to make an announcement over the intercom system they would mention the score and inning and then say "Go Cubs".

I kept waiting for the announcement that they had won the game but it never came. So when I got out at 10:30 I turned on the radio and heard the host saying what a shame it was that it had happened to this "kid" and how the fans had treated him. Then I heard the final score and just laughed.

AZChiSoxFan
10-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Alex Gonzalez should send a fruit basket to Bartman every year. It's because of him that he can still walk the streets of Chicago safely.

That's exactly what I've always said!

Red Barchetta
10-16-2008, 05:36 PM
The Cubs had THREE chances to put that NLCS away and win the pennant. They were up 3-1 with one more to play in Fla and then 2 at home. That's the exact same position the Phillies are in entering tonight's game....and the same position the Sox were in entering game 5 of the '05 ALCS for that matter.

I remember after the Cubs lost game 5 in Florida, all the Cub fans were sure they had the pennant in the bag because they had the unbeatable Prior and Wood going in game 6 and 7 at home. They blew 3 chances, but it's all Bartman's fault.

Looking back, I wonder if the other four or five fans sitting near Bartman who also made an attempt at catching the foul ball are thanking their lucky stars they didn't touch it?! It's not like he was the only fan in the park who reached for it! :?:

palehozenychicty
10-16-2008, 05:48 PM
That Game 6 thread was just classic WSI literature. Is there a Game 7 thread? That must be even better!

:D:

turners56
10-16-2008, 08:47 PM
That Game 6 thread was just classic WSI literature. Is there a Game 7 thread? That must be even better!

Game 6 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25543&highlight=cubs+marlins)

Game 7 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25604&highlight=cubs+marlins)

Cubs as the "Evil Empire"? I thought that was the Yankees...

cub killer
10-16-2008, 10:17 PM

I can't will myself to enter a scrubs forum, I'd feel too dirty. So, can anyone post links to their game threads for game 6 and 7 of the 2003 NLCS?

kittle42
10-16-2008, 10:26 PM
I can't will myself to enter a scrubs forum, I'd feel too dirty. So, can anyone post links to their game threads for game 6 and 7 of the 2003 NLCS?

Um, but then you'd still be entering the forum to read those threads. That makes no sense.

ChiSoxGirl
10-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Game 6 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25543&highlight=cubs+marlins)

Game 7 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25604&highlight=cubs+marlins)

Cubs as the "Evil Empire"? I thought that was the Yankees...

These two thread are comedy gold! :lol: I wish I was a WSIer back in 2003, I would've enjoyed it.

cub killer
10-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Um, but then you'd still be entering the forum to read those threads. That makes no sense.

I'd be clicking straight to the thread instead of having to look at all the google options, then going to the forum homepage, then looking thru their archives and having to read pro-cub nonsense along the way.

Bill Naharodny
10-17-2008, 12:51 AM

You may also remember that, after the loss in Game 5 at Florida, the general Cubbie fan consensus was that it was better to lose that one because "now we can win it at home."

Still waiting on that one.

BadBobbyJenks
10-17-2008, 12:55 AM
You may also remember that, after the loss in Game 5 at Florida, the general Cubbie fan consensus was that it was better to lose that one because "now we can win it at home."

Still waiting on that one.

Haha, Zambrano is still waiting to pitch game 4 against Arizona.

ChiSoxFan81
10-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Haha, Zambrano is still waiting to pitch game 4 against Arizona.

:rolling:

Guess this had something to do with it.....

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/chisoxfan81/lilly.gif

AZChiSoxFan
10-17-2008, 01:52 PM

That's classic! I remember some reporter asked Randy Johnson if he had ever seen a pitcher slam his glove like that. Johnson replied "Yeah........in little league."

BadBobbyJenks
10-17-2008, 02:21 PM

That is pretty solid, but if you remember game one Lou took Zambrano out of the game after 6 innings and a pitch count in the mid 80s, saying he was saving Carlos for game 4. Marmol gave the go ahead runs in the 7th and Zambrano would not see the mound again.

ChiSoxFan81
10-17-2008, 02:48 PM
That is pretty solid, but if you remember game one Lou took Zambrano out of the game after 6 innings and a pitch count in the mid 80s, saying he was saving Carlos for game 4. Marmol gave the go ahead runs in the 7th and Zambrano would not see the mound again.

Well, obviously Lou's gaffe was the major factor, but the secondary factor was that the Cubs failed to win a game. I use any excuse I can to put in that clip of Lilly :D:

BadBobbyJenks
10-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Well, obviously Lou's gaffe was the major factor, but the secondary factor was that the Cubs failed to win a game. I use any excuse I can to put in that clip of Lilly :D:

Agreed I think that is the first and last time I will ever see a major leaguer do that. Lilly was a big part of it as well. I just thought Lou saving Zambrano for game 4 fit in with the Cubs fans saying they were glad they lost game 5 in Florida because now they can clinch at home.

turners56
10-17-2008, 04:05 PM
That's classic! I remember some reporter asked Randy Johnson if he had ever seen a pitcher slam his glove like that. Johnson replied "Yeah........in little league."

What I found funny is that some Cubs fans like Matt Abatacola actually wanted Ted Lilly to pitch in the ALDS before Harden this year. After that little incident and the 8 runs he gave up last year, I don't know why anybody would even say that. Lilly was actually better last year than he was this year too. He was a .500 pitcher in the AL with a high ERA and now a decent pitcher in the NL with an above average ERA. It really goes to show how crappy the NL is.

C-Dawg
10-18-2008, 08:28 AM
As entertaining as it is to remember what we were doing doing games 6 and 7 of the 2003 NLDS, the REAL sadists amongst us will ask Cub fans where they were during those games! (Although by now, however, the memories have evaporated into only so much sunshine and beer, and they probably have forgotten who won that series)

I remember one Cub fan telling me he started out watching Game 7 at home, but once the Cubs tied it he went over to a neighbor's house to watch, and when the Cubs took the lead they ventured out to a bar in town to join in the celebration. However, once the Marlins regained and padded their lead he sensed a "bad vibe" and went home to watch the rest of the game by himself. The game ended with him in bed with the covers over his head and the TV on in the background.

Another Cub fan told me that once the game was getting out of hand, he went shopping; innings 8 and 9 of Game 7 went by with him idly wandering the aisles at Jewel!

whitesox901
10-18-2008, 03:05 PM

:bandance:

havelj
10-18-2008, 06:07 PM
I forgot about the screwup on ESPN:
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/steve-bartman-interview/718984859

kba
10-18-2008, 08:32 PM
I wonder what the Cups home team of Pat and Ron radio version of this game sounded like. I have heard ESPN radio play by play version many times during rain delays.....it's classic audio like watching a train wreck over and over again.....:o:

Santo missed the post-season that year for health reasons. Stone worked the Bartman game with Hughes. I remember Stone pointing out that the umpire was right to not call interference on the Bartman play, because Alou was reaching into the stands to try to make the catch.

turners56
10-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Santo missed the post-season that year for health reasons. Stone worked the Bartman game with Hughes. I remember Stone pointing out that the umpire was right to not call interference on the Bartman play, because Alou was reaching into the stands to try to make the catch.

Good ol' Steve. Telling it like it's supposed to be.

soxrepublican
10-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Boy, I wish Santo woulda called that game. He would of set a world whining record.:whiner:

turners56
10-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Boy, I wish Santo woulda called that game. He would of set a world whining record.:whiner:

He might of killed Bartman himself.

soxrepublican
10-18-2008, 09:45 PM
I rember the sox gave him season tix in 2004. Anyone know if he went to any games, and if he still gets them?

soxrepublican
10-18-2008, 09:48 PM
He might of killed Bartman himself.
Yeah, santo would of dragged him the booth, and he and hughes would of roasted him over an open fire. In the trofts.

RadioheadRocks
10-18-2008, 11:13 PM

This is exactly how I prefer to remember that game. Thanks!

TommyJohn
10-19-2008, 02:41 AM
I rember the sox gave him season tix in 2004. Anyone know if he went to any games, and if he still gets them?

I don't recall the White Sox giving him season tickets for 2004. That would have made huge headlines in the sports pages, with every sportswriter crying and whining about it. It would have been an incredibly dumb PR move on their part anyway.

SOXPHILE
10-20-2008, 11:17 AM

Santo was going to do the radio call for the World Series from home if the Cubs made it that year.

In October of 2005, I sent a fax to B & B noting that Santo was going to do this, but alas, it didn't happen. But now, this year, since his former team HAS made the World Series, would the former White Sox player be doing the play by play from his house now ? They got a good laugh out of it, and Boers deadpanned "Ahh, I think I can answer that. No." Then they joked around, saying how "mean" I was.

ChiSoxFan81
10-20-2008, 11:35 AM

http://www.northtonorth.com/pages/soundclips/santoohno.mp3

whitesox901
10-20-2008, 11:40 AM
http://www.northtonorth.com/pages/soundclips/santoohno.mp3

"Oh no, nooooooooo!"

russ99
10-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Well that old thread was amusing. I still think the Bartman game was the funniest thing I ever saw on TV, mainly because the moment it happened, everyone immediately knew that the Cubs were toast.

This year they can't blame it on a hapless fan, a black cat or some long-dead goat. The 2008 Cubs blew it all by themselves... :D: