PDA

View Full Version : Hindsight is 20/20

ajismyhero
10-14-2008, 03:04 PM
I was looking at everyone's preseason predictions. I think it's amazing that not one person picked Quentin for HR's and RBI's. Also, who would have guessed that Paulie and Jerry Owens would have the same amount of stolen bases!

chisoxmike
10-14-2008, 03:18 PM
I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about the team.

I pegged them for about a 82 win season and third place finish.

I was way off on Floyd. I thought he would be in AAA by June.

voodoochile
10-14-2008, 03:20 PM
I was looking at everyone's preseason predictions. I think it's amazing that not one person picked Quentin for HR's and RBI's. Also, who would have guessed that Paulie and Jerry Owens would have the same amount of stolen bases!

I picked Cabrera to lead the team in SB because I didn't figure Owens would get enough chances.

I think it surprising that not a single person picked the Sox to make the playoffs but lose in the first round (at least that is how I currently have it graded. I need to double check that in case I used different notation.)

I'm in second, but I'm maxed out on points because I didn't pick any of these teams to win the pennant or the WS.

I had the Dodgers and Red Sox winning their respective WC's, but don't get any points for those guesses. I was going to try to give people partial credit, but figured it might look like I was biased and the forumlas for the cells became too involved.

ChiSoxFan81
10-14-2008, 03:22 PM
I picked Alexi Ramirez to hit four grand slams.

DSpivack
10-14-2008, 03:23 PM

I don't remember preseason picks, but I picked the ALCS to be Angels-White Sox and the NLCS Brewers-Cubs, with the White Sox over Milwaukee in the World Series. :tongue:

voodoochile
10-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Alright I figured out the forumlas to give half credit if you got a playoff team right but not in the right slot (won WC, not division).

I saved it as an alternate spread sheet, but now I am winning if I get my partial credits :tongue:

I'm still maxed out and some people still have up to 40 points coming depending on how this plays out...

GO TAMPA! No one picked Tampa to do anything. Shocking I know...:D:

Boondock Saint
10-14-2008, 03:41 PM
I picked Alexi Ramirez to hit four grand slams.

So close, because Alexei Ramirez crushed some huge grand slams.

DumpJerry
10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
I recalling posting that Griffey would hit three home runs for us.

Yeah. Back in March.

BleacherBandit
10-14-2008, 04:08 PM

Wow...

white sox bill
10-14-2008, 04:20 PM

Must be a brother or something:smile:

tony1972
10-14-2008, 06:08 PM

I said Konerko would ground into 678 inning ending double plays..

He only grounded into 664 of them...:redface:

turners56
10-14-2008, 06:33 PM

Did you? Seriously, who would of thunk it?

munchman33
10-14-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't think Swisher sucks. I just don't think he's a superstar. Or a centerfielder. Or appreciably better than Carlos Quentin, who he is displacing.

Not appreciably better than pretty much completely unknown commodity Carlos Quentin? You should stop basing everything you know about baseball on minor league stats.

:rolling:

This is perhaps one of the top 10 stupidest things I've seen in a long long long long time

Hey munch, can you write down directions on how to get to your little world, so I can steer quite clear of it?

Quentin can't hit .260 with 20 homers and walk alot? I happen to think he'll do better than that, given the chance. And I don't think I'm alone in that assessment.

I took a lot of **** from people about thinking very highly of Quentin before the season started.

getonbckthr
10-14-2008, 07:59 PM
I took a lot of **** from people about thinking very highly of Quentin before the season started.
I remember being really high on Quentin when we got him, just not this season.

Craig Grebeck
10-14-2008, 08:06 PM
I was also quite high on him. We agree(d), oddly. I was more upset with Q! being displaced by Owens.

Frontman
10-14-2008, 08:14 PM
I was convinced that either Floyd or Danks or both would wet the bed as the season went on. Both proved me wrong.

chisoxmike
10-14-2008, 08:20 PM
I was also quite high on him. We agree(d), oddly. I was more upset with Q! being displaced by Owens.

As was I. I said if Owens got the job over Quentin, I'd cancel the season tickets...or something to that effect.:tongue:

SoxNation05
10-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Wow, I don't believe munch has ever been right congrats. I think Grebeck and Munch are a match in heaven by the way.

Craig Grebeck
10-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Wow, I don't believe munch has ever been right congrats. I think Grebeck and Munch are a match in heaven by the way.
Appreciate it. If you're thinking of sending me a congratulatory gift, just use the money on a grammar textbook.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Appreciate it. If you're thinking of sending me a congratulatory gift, just use the money on a grammar textbook.Wait! You need it for some personality textbooks, that was mean. :scratch:

I'm proud to say I didn't even watch Sox games until 5 or so games into the season. I am proud to say this is my first time watching a whole season! No, I still watched the final month and post-season in 05', but that's it. So I didn't even know Quentin was going to be on the team, heck, I was wondering where Podsednik was! :tongue:

Taliesinrk
10-14-2008, 11:28 PM

u were high on Quentin? I don't remember that..

Craig Grebeck
10-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Seems like just yesterday you and I were exchanging barbs...

kittle42
10-15-2008, 12:11 AM

Eh, I was obviously wrong. I guess your assessment of Quentin was better then the "Danny Richar for 2B" club, though! :redneck

kittle42
10-15-2008, 12:12 AM

No. munch is right every time the Sox lose, of course!

voodoochile
10-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Eh, I was obviously wrong. I guess your assessment of Quentin was better then the "Danny Richar for 2B" club, though! :redneck

Injuries prevented him from ever getting a chance this year. Time will tell if he is or is not a major league caliber player.

munchman33
10-15-2008, 02:25 AM

We used to agree alot. Unfortunately, Nick Swisher got in the way.

Mohoney
10-15-2008, 04:38 AM
I was convinced that either Floyd or Danks or both would wet the bed as the season went on. Both proved me wrong.

With their performances this year, they both built a solid 3 man nucleus with themselves and Buehrle, which is a great starting point. If the bullpen is fixed, two mediocre (or worse) turds could take the back 2 rotation spots. 3 money starters and a lock down bullpen can cakewalk in this division. A 4th money starter might have you talking about best record in the AL, especially if Detroit blows their team up.

Pound the Royals and Tigers with regularity, and go from there.

Frontman
10-15-2008, 08:12 AM
With their performances this year, they both built a solid 3 man nucleus with themselves and Buehrle, which is a great starting point. If the bullpen is fixed, two mediocre (or worse) turds could take the back 2 rotation spots. 3 money starters and a lock down bullpen can cakewalk in this division. A 4th money starter might have you talking about best record in the AL, especially if Detroit blows their team up.

Pound the Royals and Tigers with regularity, and go from there.

Actually, I have no problem with Javy staying on as a 4th or 5th starter.

I just don't want to see him in the playoffs. Javy can be the reverse El Duque of this team.

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2008, 08:54 AM
We used to agree alot. Unfortunately, Nick Swisher got in the way.
Those were the days...

oeo
10-15-2008, 11:49 AM

Craig is the only person I remember that was high on him. :shrug:

Almost everyone wanted Anderson starting over Quentin.

tstrike2000
10-15-2008, 01:07 PM
I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about the team.

I pegged them for about a 82 win season and third place finish.

I was way off on Floyd. I thought he would be in AAA by June.

Mike, I think you pegged what a lot of us were thinking last spring training. I thought they might be in the 77-80 win area and a 3rd or 4th place finish. I thought TCQ could be a stud, but was still a year or so away. Mainly, with a 3, 4, 5 of Contreras, Floyd, Danks I thought was going to be our biggest problem. I didn't know a whole lot about Bag-a-Bones (Alexei) and wasn't sure how'd he adjust to the Majors. Lastly, I liked the signing of Linebrink, but was concerned he would be prone giving up the long ball at home. I was obviously glad to be wrong with the exception of Contreras along with the two injuries of TCQ and Linebrink that those guys were studs. With a full season of Contreras, TCQ and a healthy second half of Linebrink we're looking at a 92-95 win team this year.

kittle42
10-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Craig is the only person I remember that was high on him. :shrug:

Almost everyone wanted Anderson starting over Quentin.

I didn't want Anderson starting over Owens. :cool: