PDA

View Full Version : Pujols Has Elbow Surgery

thedudeabides
10-14-2008, 10:57 AM
It sounds like a minor surgery may have corrected the problem. It's good to hear he may be able to avoid the major re-constructive surgery that was once talked about.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/10/13/bc.bbn.cardinals.pujols.ap/index.html

palehozenychicty
10-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Good news for the Redbirds. The fact that he still had a tremendous year is astounding. He really is the best player in the game.

hellview
10-14-2008, 12:19 PM
And all Pujols does is put up a monster season with a bum elbow.

Lefty34
10-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Exactly. But Howard for MVP!!!

tstrike2000
10-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Hopefully for Albert and the Cards this will pretty much be it for that elbow.

chisoxfanatic
10-14-2008, 04:06 PM
And all Pujols does is put up a monster season with a bum elbow.
AND without an attitude and all of the showboating drama. If he keeps this up, he's a first-ballot HOFer immediately when eligible. What an outstanding player and human being.

doublem23
10-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Exactly. But Howard for MVP!!!

Thank god for Albert to guide the Cardinals to that 4th place finish.

Lefty34
10-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Thank god for Albert to guide the Cardinals to that 4th place finish.

So Pujols is not deserving of the MVP Award, not because he wasn't the best player in the NL, but because he wasn't a good enough pitcher? Not everyone can be like Bugs Bunny against the Gas-House Gorillas.

doublem23
10-14-2008, 08:07 PM
So Pujols is not deserving of the MVP Award, not because he wasn't the best player in the NL, but because he wasn't a good enough pitcher? Not everyone can be like Bugs Bunny against the Gas-House Gorillas.

So we should punish Howard because he has better pitchers on his team? Or we should reward Albert for "playing hurt," but not take other things into account, like team wins, etc.? Maybe Ryan Howard started slow this year because he wasn't 100% healthy, but just played through it rather than crybaby Albert Pujols who was whining about his elbow since March.

Obviously this is the age-old baseball debate, but I personally do not see the MVP must necessarily be the MVP.

Also, the Cardinals had the 7th best ERA in the NL this year, and only allowed 45 less runs than Philadelphia, so let's not make it out to be like the Phillies tossed a no-hitter every night while the Cards couldn't keep a AAA team off the scoreboard.

SoxNation05
10-14-2008, 09:34 PM
MVP is such a flawed system that has no way of getting fixed.

doublem23
10-14-2008, 09:52 PM
MVP is such a flawed system that has no way of getting fixed.

It's not a flawed system, it's just debatable. If you truly believe the best player in the league should win the MVP, that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that and there are plenty of people who share your opinion. I just personally disagree. It's nothing personal, I don't think you're an idiot, I just don't see the phrases "best player" and "most valuable player" as interchangable.

It makes for sweet debate, though. :cool:

Lefty34
10-14-2008, 10:13 PM
So we should punish Howard because he has better pitchers on his team?

No, we should punish Ryan Howard for going .251/.339/.543 on the year with 199 K's. Yeah, I know he hit 48 HR's, which s great, but that was about it in terms of greatness (well, being better than Pujols) this season for Howard. I don't want to hear about RBI's, because everyone knows they are a crappy metric.

Or we should reward Albert for "playing hurt," but not take other things into account, like team wins, etc.?

What do you mean by "other things"?
Batting line: .357/.462/.653; that's better than Howard.
Walks/K's: 104/54:; that's a whole lot better than Howard (81/199).
OPS: 1.114; that's also better than Howard (.881).
VORP: 96.8; much better than Howard (35.3).

I think Pujols should be rewarded for all of those things.

Maybe Ryan Howard started slow this year because he wasn't 100% healthy, but just played through it

Played through it to post a VORP of 35.3, good enough for 30th in the NL behind (obviously) Pujols, not to mention being behind Chase Utley.

rather than crybaby Albert Pujols who was whining about his elbow since March.

Right, he's a crybaby that played through a surgery-needing elbow to lead the league in many offensive categories. And who cares if he was "whining"? Maybe the elbow really hurt. Is that possible? Anyway, he was still far and away better than Howard.

Obviously this is the age-old baseball debate, but I personally do not see the MVP must necessarily be the MVP.

But...isn't that what the award is?

Also, the Cardinals had the 7th best ERA in the NL this year, and only allowed 45 less runs than Philadelphia, so let's not make it out to be like the Phillies tossed a no-hitter every night while the Cards couldn't keep a AAA team off the scoreboard.

I didn't say that. But it should be noted that the Cardinals were 13th in the NL in hits and 7th in Runs, whereas the Phililes were 9th in hits and 3rd in runs, so there is a difference between the staffs.

Let me close by saying this:

Times Ryan Howard batted .300+ in any given month: 2
Times Albert Pujols batted .300+ in any given month: 6

Times Ryan Howard batted .250+ in a month: still 2
Times Albert Pujols still hit .300+ in a month: still all of them.