PDA

View Full Version : Hahn denied interview for M's GM

FoulTerritory
10-13-2008, 11:02 PM
So, the Sox denied to give Seattle permission to interview Rick Hahn for their GM opening. That seems weird to me because it would represent upward movement for Hahn. I understand that he's under contract, but usually so long as an administrative employee is not trying to move laterally from team to team, permission is usually granted out of respect for said employee's attempt to improve their career.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/383003_mari13.html

Brian26
10-13-2008, 11:16 PM
His kid is too valuable. We need him for future coin flips.

GoGoCrede
10-13-2008, 11:20 PM

:rolling: Too true. I heard his kid got quite the positive reaction when he threw out the first pitch last week. Anyone who was there, what was it like?

Daver
10-13-2008, 11:22 PM
So, the Sox denied to give Seattle permission to interview Rick Hahn for their GM opening. That seems weird to me because it would represent upward movement for Hahn. I understand that he's under contract, but usually so long as an administrative employee is not trying to move laterally from team to team, permission is usually granted out of respect for said employee's attempt to improve their career.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/383003_mari13.html

Rick may have requested to be denied permission, it is not as uncommon as you would think.

LoveYourSuit
10-13-2008, 11:53 PM
He was not given permission because according to WSI, SEA is "the most important team this offseason."

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106917

StillMissOzzie
10-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Rick may have requested to be denied permission, it is not as uncommon as you would think.

Idle speculation or you got a reason to suspect such a request?

SMO
:?::scratch:

Rdy2PlayBall
10-14-2008, 12:26 AM
:rolling: Too true. I heard his kid got quite the positive reaction when he threw out the first pitch last week. Anyone who was there, what was it like?The crowd was kind of cheering like Alexei got another grand slam. :tongue: Everyone knew what he had done. :bandance:

Daver
10-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Idle speculation or you got a reason to suspect such a request?

SMO
:?::scratch:

Rick will more than likely be the next GM of the White Sox when Kenny decides to become president of baseball operations only.

oeo
10-14-2008, 01:06 AM
I also think it's been mentioned that Hahn will only accept a job to a select number of teams.

dickallen15
10-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Hahn interviewed for the St. Louis job last year. I agree with what was posted prior. I think it was his call. Either KW is about to quit, or they asked Hahn if he was interested and he said no. It looks better for him in the long run to have the team deny the request than to have him say he's not interested.

Lukin13
10-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Maybe he doesn't want to move to Seattle.

OR

Maybe KW realizes just about everything he has touched on the southside has turned to gold... and that it can only go down from here.

Optipessimism
10-14-2008, 01:03 PM
I read online that the new Seattle GM is expected to have far less power than your average GM would have. Perhaps Hahn wouldn't want to work under those conditions. Just speculation, but if that is the case I don't blame him. Having to work under additional restrictions and give up power would make him an easy fall guy in the future, and a failed stint as Mariners GM, even if it wasn't totally his fault, would probably set him back quite a bit.

Plus, isn't there some uncertainty regarding ownership in the future? Wasn't it rumored that Nintendo was looking to sell the franchise?

soxfan43
10-14-2008, 01:50 PM
I read online that the new Seattle GM is expected to have far less power than your average GM would have. Perhaps Hahn wouldn't want to work under those conditions. Just speculation, but if that is the case I don't blame him. Having to work under additional restrictions and give up power would make him an easy fall guy in the future, and a failed stint as Mariners GM, even if it wasn't totally his fault, would probably set him back quite a bit.

Plus, isn't there some uncertainty regarding ownership in the future? Wasn't it rumored that Nintendo was looking to sell the franchise?

That's probabaly one reason. The 2nd is with the Sox losing scumbag Wilder in that scandal, Kenny needs Hahn around even more.

ChiSoxFan81
10-14-2008, 02:54 PM
I heard that his son has signed a deal with the Bears to call the coin toss prior to every road game and during overtime. Obviously, this rules Seattle out anyways.

soltrain21
10-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Hey, is his son by chance the one that called the coin toss?

palehozenychicty
10-14-2008, 03:58 PM

Exactly. Nobody with any baseball acumen wants to work with Howard Lincoln and their management group. They just want a propellerhead to filter decisions through to him, and it's a shame. That organization deserves better.

WHILEPITCH
10-14-2008, 04:02 PM
i knew it would be response post #1, but i still was hoping i could get on it first.

PaleHoser
10-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Sounds like a smart move to me. You couldn't pay me enough to take that job. Whoever gets that job gets to inherit a boatload of bad contracts with no farm system.

areilly
10-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Exactly. Nobody with any baseball acumen wants to work with Howard Lincoln and their management group. They just want a propellerhead to filter decisions through to him, and it's a shame. That organization deserves better.

Maybe he can rehire his old buddy Nester can to help stomp the Koopa Troopas and Moblins of the American League West.

Foulke You
10-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Maybe he can rehire his old buddy Nester can to help stomp the Koopa Troopas and Moblins of the American League West.
Excellent reference of classic Nintendo Power magazines! :thumbsup:

doublem23
10-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Sounds like a smart move to me. You couldn't pay me enough to take that job. Whoever gets that job gets to inherit a boatload of bad contracts with no farm system.

Exactly, though I wouldn't mind if he took the job and then his first move was to trade Ichiro over here. Make it happen, Rick... I won't take "No" for an answer!

turners56
10-14-2008, 07:34 PM

Maybe we should just hire his kid then.

Brian26
10-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Maybe we should just hire his kid then.

Maybe we can convince the Seattle GM to stay so we can continue to pawn off our outfield prospect-busts like Jeremy Reed and Joe Borchard.

Sox4ever77
10-15-2008, 01:55 AM

Ichiro and Beltre have bad contracts. Who else on the Mariners has a bad contract?

Raul is a FA.

They cut Sexton and his contract expired this year anyways.

Oblong
10-15-2008, 08:13 AM
They were also not granted permission to talk with Tigers assistant GM Al Avila. He was a finalist for the job back in 2003.

areilly
10-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Ichiro and Beltre have bad contracts.

How is Ichiro's a bad contract? Production-wise, maybe, but marketing-wise the guy is a printing press.

Sox4ever77
10-15-2008, 10:45 AM
How is Ichiro's a bad contract? Production-wise, maybe, but marketing-wise the guy is a printing press.

Both production and marketing. Have you noticed the decrease in attendance at games? While there are still people coming from Japan to see Ichiro, many have already been to Seatttle to see him play.

PaleHoser
10-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Ichiro and Beltre have bad contracts. Who else on the Mariners has a bad contract?

Raul is a FA.

They cut Sexton and his contract expired this year anyways.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/seattle-mariners.html

Ichiro has $17M annually through 2012.
Carlos Silva has $11M+ annually through 2011.
Kenji Johjima has 3 years/$24M on his deal and pitchers don't want to throw to him.

Bedard, Washburn, Beltre and Batista have big contracts that run out next year, so they have something to deal. Otherwise, they'll take their lumps again next year.

Beltre would look good on the Sox. If healthy, he'd hit 40+ homers here and in a contract year that would look mighty good.

btrain929
10-16-2008, 02:33 PM
http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/seattle-mariners.html

Ichiro has $17M annually through 2012.
Carlos Silva has $11M+ annually through 2011.
Kenji Johjima has 3 years/$24M on his deal and pitchers don't want to throw to him.

Bedard, Washburn, Beltre and Batista have big contracts that run out next year, so they have something to deal. Otherwise, they'll take their lumps again next year.

Beltre would look good on the Sox. If healthy, he'd hit 40+ homers here and in a contract year that would look mighty good.

And he plays good defense and has decent speed. It could be very similar to the Cabrera acquisition, acquiring a veteran in their walk year. Beltre is also a Type A FA, so if we can't resign him, we'll get 2 draft picks for him ala Cabrera. I hope we seriously consider acquiring him. We can give them Fields if they are interested. If not, he can have a full year in AAA, healthy, to get better and rebuild his value in case we want to trade him down the road.

areilly
10-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Both production and marketing. Have you noticed the decrease in attendance at games? While there are still people coming from Japan to see Ichiro, many have already been to Seatttle to see him play.

Well, that's kind of a loaded argument - the Mariners lost 100 games last year. Would you fly to Japan to watch your favorite player fight for last place?

The Mariners made more than plenty off of merchandising Ichiro's first few years in the MLB; I wouldn't call his a bad contract, just a strangely retroactive one.

longtimesoxguy
10-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Why would anyone want to leave the southside?

tacosalbarojas
10-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Even Ron Schuler won't return their calls.

AZChiSoxFan
10-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Even Ron Schuler won't return their calls.

What about Hawk?

khan
10-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Bedard, Washburn, Beltre and Batista have big contracts that run out next year, so they have something to deal.

He's a career ~.260 hitter with middling power. I've read previously that he might have been a PED-user. No thanks.

KenBerryGrab
10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
He's a career ~.260 hitter with middling power. ...

.260 with middling power and a Gold Glove would be aaaiight.