PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter question

32nd&Wallace
10-12-2008, 05:44 PM
I know that the Yankees would never trade him but I was wondering if it would be beneficial to the Yankees to consider it and what exactly the Yankees could get for Jeter? Also, does anyone know when his contract expires and wheter it would be wise for the Yankees to resign him? My personal opinion is that while he has put up consistent numbers, his age would net very little.

hi im skot
10-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Derek Jeter is the Messiah in the Bronx.

There's no way he doesn't retire in pinstripes.

Oblong
10-12-2008, 05:59 PM
He's signed through 2010 and is owed $20 in 2009 and $21 in 2010. No range at SS and very average at the plate last year. Not surprising when you consider his age.

He'll be entering his age 37 year in the first year of any new deal.
He's worth a lot more to the Yankees than to anybody else. With the size of their operations the money is insignifigant. He's the face of the franchise and will go down as an all time Yankee, right up there with Ruth, Gehrig, Joe D., and Mantle. I'm sure he's a merchandising beast. Anybody who gets him will not get any of that. He'll always be a Yankee. So I don't see why anybody would want him.

He's also a 10-5 player and can't be traded without his approval.

areilly
10-12-2008, 06:04 PM
In pure baseball terms, the Yankees would me smart to start shopping him.

In marketing terms, the Yankees would be committing suicide by even hinting he could be on his way out of the Bronx.

Eddo144
10-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Jeter, unfortunately for the Yankess, is aging, and it's not pretty. He hasn't been a good defensive shortstop for a while now, but his excellent hitting ability offset that.

It doesn't look like he'll be hitting at that level any more, so he's only hurting the team by playing shortstop. He doesn't hit for enough power to play a corner outfield position, and I doubt he has the range to play second base.

His trade value, due to his age and salary, is very low. They could maybe get a few prospects by shipping him to a mid-season contender, but they never would trade him, as he is the face of the franchise.

He was a huge reason the Yankees became the dynasty they were, and ironically, could wind up being a reason for the end of that dynasty in the near future.

Oblong
10-12-2008, 07:10 PM
See, I think other teams recognize Jeter's declining ability. This is all hypothetical of course because he's got 10-5 rights, but if a trade were to go down, the yankees would not get what he's worth to them, and only to them. The only way they would get value in terms of prospects or players is if they paid his contract.

Billy Ashley
10-12-2008, 07:20 PM
As others have mentioned, Jeter is worth a ton of revenue in NY because of who he is.

In a vacuum though, he's got one of the worst contracts in baseball. He's never been a good defensive short stop. At this point in his career he's pitiful at short. Making matters worse, his tremendous offensive production that has earned him the well deserved respect he has is in decline. He's had a tremendous career despite his defensive short comings and certainly belongs in the Hall.

In terms of value today though, he's less valuable then someone like Michael Young or Johhny Peralta, both defensively weak short stops themselves. Now would you want to pay Peralta or Young 20 million? I don't think so. Nor would many general managers.

FedEx227
10-12-2008, 08:05 PM
He would be worth nothing to any other franchise in the league right now, especially with his current deal. To the Yankees his worth is near unmeasurable from a PR-standpoint to merchandising, etc.

He'll retire a Yankee, no doubt.

Eddo144
10-12-2008, 08:52 PM
He would be worth nothing to any other franchise in the league right now, especially with his current deal. To the Yankees his worth is near unmeasurable from a PR-standpoint to merchandising, etc.

He'll retire a Yankee, no doubt.
I think the negative PR the Yankees would get if they got rid of Jeter (or sat him) is far greater than any positive PR he currently brings. He's pretty much at his peak of popularity right now - he's not really bringing any extra fans or PR to the Yankees, as he's most likely taken for granted by most Yankee fans. If the team were to kick him to the curb, however, there is potential for a huge backlash from fans.

turners56
10-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Maybe the Sox can get him at 40 like they did with Roberto Alomar. :redneck

Kenny's real good at it.

chisoxmike
10-12-2008, 09:28 PM
It will never happen.