PDA

View Full Version : Sox Rumor

Lip Man 1
10-11-2008, 11:45 AM
This and that:

In a story in the Tribune today Phil Rogers says the Giants might take a look at getting Paul Konerko. Said it would probably be for one of their starting pitchers (i.e. Cain) because they have a top prospect ready to come up.

And he lists every playoff team and what he considers the bad contrats they have on the books.

For the Sox he says Contreras, MacDougal, Swisher and Linebrink are bad deals.

Sure Phil. (I guess he missed the first three months of the year with Linebrink.)

Lip

soxpride724
10-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Good old Phil Rogers, you can disregard everything you just read.:tongue:

munchman33
10-11-2008, 12:03 PM
I think he actually referred to them as "dubious" contracts. And yes, Linebrink's is probably above market. But I'm not complaining about having him!

The Dodgers would probably just give us Jason Schmidt. I wonder if Kenny would take a flier on him as a fifth starter?

tstrike2000
10-11-2008, 12:04 PM
This and that:

In a story in the Tribune today Phil Rogers says the Giants might take a look at getting Paul Konerko. Said it would probably be for one of their starting pitchers (i.e. Cain) because they have a top prospect ready to come up.

And he lists every playoff team and what he considers the bad contrats they have on the books.

Sure Phil. (I guess he missed the first three months of the year with Linebrink.)

Lip

Has Phil always been this bad? I used to like him, but it seemed like overnight some years ago he became a numbnut. Swisher seemed like a good deal at the time and Linebrink just got hurt, doesn't mean it's a bad deal.

Matt Cain would be awesome, especially if it means we don't have to count on Javy in the 3 or 4 spot in the rotation. If the Konerko part is even remotely true and Konerko agrees to it, do that in a heartbeat.

munchman33
10-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Has Phil always been this bad? I used to like him, but it seemed like overnight some years ago he became a numbnut. Swisher seemed like a good deal at the time and Linebrink just got hurt, doesn't mean it's a bad deal.

Matt Cain would be awesome, especially if it means we don't have to count on Javy in the 3 or 4 spot in the rotation. If the Konerko part is even remotely true and Konerko agrees to it, do that in a heartbeat.

The Giants would have to be absolutely out of their mind to make that deal. I could just imagine their reasoning: Great young starter who we don't have to pay anything yet for an aging first baseman who costs tens of millions of dollars coming off two straight down years? Sign me up!

Then again, the Giants have quite a reputation for buying old...

Craig Grebeck
10-11-2008, 12:14 PM
This and that:

Lip
This is horrid to read. The Giants would never, ever, ever give up Cain in that deal. They might give up a promising young reliever, maybe.

Seriously. If they wanted to trade Cain for a first baseman it'd be Prince Fielder.
I think he actually referred to them as "dubious" contracts. And yes, Linebrink's is probably above market. But I'm not complaining about having him!

The Dodgers would probably just give us Jason Schmidt. I wonder if Kenny would take a flier on him as a fifth starter?
The Dodgers have James Loney.

They never will.

ode to veeck
10-11-2008, 12:17 PM
rumors here in the bay area giants are dumping a flock of players and esp pitchers

tstrike2000
10-11-2008, 12:20 PM
rumors here in the bay area giants are dumping a flock of players and esp pitchers

Well, at least they would be able to build around Lincicum and Cain. I'd be very surprised if Cain is mentioned in a trade unless they wanted some real studs in return.

Craig Grebeck
10-11-2008, 12:20 PM
They aren't dumping Matt Cain. Cain for Fielder would probably be a fair deal for all sides.

Will they dump Zito/Lowry/Wilson? They'll certainly try to. Not Sanchez, Cain, or Lincecum.

champagne030
10-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Cain for Walnuts? Where do I sign up? Or where does Kenneth sign up?

Hopefully, Oswaldo thinks that Cain is a player and doesn't let him die on the bench.

The Giants would be nuts to make a trade for Walnuts and Fields for Cain, let alone GDPK for Cain.

Sox4ever77
10-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Why not just trade PK to the Yankees for Phil Hughes?

Brian26
10-11-2008, 12:38 PM

Lip

If Linebrink pitches out the rest of his contract like he did for the first three months of '08, it's a decent deal. If he pitches out his contract with his arm hanging by a thread like he did for the last three months of '08, it has potential to be one of the worst contracts since Julio Cruz re-signed here. Time will tell.

Brian26
10-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I wonder if Swisher might have found his ticket back to the Bay area?

btrain929
10-11-2008, 12:42 PM
If Linebrink pitches out the rest of his contract like he did for the first three months of '08, it's a decent deal. If he pitches out his contract with his arm hanging by a thread like he did for the last three months of '08, it has potential to be one of the worst contracts since Julio Cruz re-signed here. Time will tell.

If Linebrink pitches out the rest of his contract like he did for the first 3 months of '08, it will be a tremendous deal and one of our best free agent signings in a while.

btrain929
10-11-2008, 12:42 PM
I wonder if Swisher might have found his ticket back to the Bay area?

No. He's not going anywhere, end of story.

soxfanreggie
10-11-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm very doubtful that this would happen. These reporters never have to offer sources, and they will seemingly point out the 4 times they were right instead of the 1,282 times they were wrong.

Brian26
10-11-2008, 01:03 PM
If Linebrink pitches out the rest of his contract like he did for the first 3 months of '08, it will be a tremendous deal and one of our best free agent signings in a while.

At a guaranteed $5 million a year for four years, I don't think its a huge steal for a righty set-up guy. If he pitches well, he'll earn his money, but it's not a bargain by any means.

turners56
10-11-2008, 01:03 PM
This and that:

Lip

xD. Linebrink a bad deal? Sheesh...

gr8mexico
10-11-2008, 01:05 PM

Jason Schmidt is owed 16 mil next year and mist most of the 2007 and all of the 2008 season. PASS!! Kenny is better off giving Carl Pavano a chance as the 5th starter.

forte
10-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Well, if we were to trade our bad slow first baseman with a huge contract for a starting pitcher with a 3.5 era, the Giants would be the only team to do it.

Why is the teal bolded? :scratch:

wxkid23
10-11-2008, 01:08 PM
xD. Linebrink a bad deal? Sheesh...

Way too early to call that a bad deal. Linebrink was excellent early and never really got back in the groove when he returned. Now if he shows up with a 3.5+ ERA next year i'll be concerned.

Sox4ever77
10-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Jason Schmidt is owed 16 mil next year and mist most of the 2007 and all of the 2008 season. PASS!! Kenny is better off giving Carl Pavano a chance as the 5th starter.

I wonder who would take a chance at Pavano? Or Hampton, when his contract runs out, for that matter.

Lukin13
10-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Rogers is reaching.... again.

Everyone is dieing to find Konerko a home because it makes sense that he should be the one to go.

The only problem is:

- He had terrible numbers for a 1st baseman last season.
- While his contract isn't terrible it is substantial.
- He has a freaking bulletproof no trade clause.
- The average Chicago White Sox fan(not average wsi poster) will be VERY upset if PK is traded regardless of you we get in return.
- Matt Cain for PK would not happen in a trillion years. Cain is signed dirt cheap through 2011. The Twins received Delmon Young and Jason Bartlett for Matt Garza. If the Sox were to get Cain it would cost us something like Alexei and Richard.
- If for some strange reason PK agreed to waive his NTC, KW would essentially have to give him away.

jcw218
10-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Rogers is reaching.... again.

Everyone is dieing to find Konerko a home because it makes sense that he should be the one to go.

The only problem is:

- He had terrible numbers for a 1st baseman last season.
- While his contract isn't terrible it is substantial.
- He has a freaking bulletproof no trade clause.
- The average Chicago White Sox fan(not average wsi poster) will be VERY upset if PK is traded regardless of you we get in return.
- Matt Cain for PK would not happen in a trillion years. Cain is signed dirt cheap through 2011. The Twins received Delmon Young and Jason Bartlett for Matt Garza. If the Sox were to get Cain it would cost us something like Alexei and Richard.
- If for some strange reason PK agreed to waive his NTC, KW would essentially have to give him away.

Not true. The Rays received Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett in the Delmon Young deal.

TDog
10-11-2008, 01:46 PM
This and that:

Lip

I don't have any inside sources, but ...

The Giants have been going young, getting rid of their aging players with big contracts. Just about the only older veteran who is safe is Molina, and that is because they like the way he handles the young pitchers. (Konerko looks like a speedster next to Molina. The two would look great batting four-five in the order.) I don't see them trading for a veteran with a big contract. Swisher, who is younger and less expensive and popular in the Bay Area, would make more sense.

The Giants could get more than Konerko or Swisher for Cain. Cain was inconsistent in 2008, but the Giants don't doubt his stuff. Neither do potential trade partners.

Baseball people believe Linebrink was a bad deal when the White Sox signed him. If he doesn't produces in the remainder of his contract the way he did in the first three months, it will be.

GreenWoman3212
10-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Remember when Konerko went down in that game against the Blue Jays and everyone lost their minds at the thought of him being out for the season..

munchman33
10-11-2008, 02:04 PM

And if the Dodgers pay his salary?

Craig Grebeck
10-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Why would they pay Schmidt's salary AND take on Konerko when they can just have JS pitch for them and stuck with Loney? It doesn't make any sense.

DumpJerry
10-11-2008, 02:36 PM
They really should step up the drug testing at The Tribune Company. I'm wondering what is in Phil's bloodstream these days. Maybe it is the trauma of the Cubs' stellar postseason effort.

One poster said he has a "bulletproof" no trade clause. His no trade clause is no longer relevant because he is now a 5/10 player.

The only teams Konerko would allow himself to be traded to are the Angels, Dodgers and Diamonbacks because of their competitiveness and proximity to his home in Arizona.

End of story.

Also, teams are not allowed to discuss trade possibilities before the World Series ends, so this rumor is not coming from the Giants. It is from water vapor.

gr8mexico
10-11-2008, 02:37 PM
and How much do you think they will pay out of the 16 MIL. Lets say they pay 6 mil then they have to pay whats owed to Konerko 12 MIL. That is a total of 18 mil. Not going to happend.

I can honestly see Konerko going to AZ for nothing and we should be fine by that. With 12 MIL the Sox could fill in many needs. Rocco Baldelli 5 MIL with incentives, RP Juan Cruz (4.5MIL) Bench- Willie Bloomquist 2MIL .Willie play every single position and would be a great bench guy.

munchman33
10-11-2008, 02:42 PM
and How much do you think they will pay out of the 16 MIL. Lets say they pay 6 mil then they have to pay whats owed to Konerko 12 MIL. That is a total of 18 mil. Not going to happend.

I don't remember insisting we trade Konerko for Schmidt? That would be a horrible idea. I mentioned Schmidt because the article mentioned him as a "dubious contract," not as part of the Konerko for Matt Cain idea.

I mean the Dodgers would probably pay most, if not all of his salary, for a low level prospect. He's not a part of their plans for next year, and has almost zero value. And he'd make a nice insurance policy, or even a possible fifth starter. He hasn't pitched in a year, yes, but his arm's had more than a year to get healthy. And when it was healthy, he was awfully good.

Craig Grebeck
10-11-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't remember insisting we trade Konerko for Schmidt? That would be a horrible idea. I mentioned Schmidt because the article mentioned him as a "dubious contract," not as part of the Konerko for Matt Cain idea.

I mean the Dodgers would probably pay most, if not all of his salary, for a low level prospect. He's not a part of their plans for next year, and has almost zero value. And he'd make a nice insurance policy, or even a possible fifth starter. He hasn't pitched in a year, yes, but his arm's had more than a year to get healthy. And when it was healthy, he was awfully good.
Six starts the last two years and two full seasons out of the last seven. No thanks.

Milw
10-11-2008, 02:54 PM
One poster said he has a "bulletproof" no trade clause. His no trade clause is no longer relevant because he is now a 5/10 player.

5/10 rights is, for all intents and purposes, the same as a bulletproof no-trade clause. Call it what you want, he's not going anywhere unless he genuinely believes Ozzie would sit him down 5 days a week...

DumpJerry
10-11-2008, 02:56 PM
5/10 rights is, for all intents and purposes, the same as a bulletproof no-trade clause. Call it what you want, he's not going anywhere unless he genuinely believes Ozzie would sit him down 5 days a week...
I was just pointing out that his no trade clause is now no longer.

He's building a home in Bridgeport. He's going nowhere.

Craig Grebeck
10-11-2008, 02:56 PM

I can honestly see Konerko going to AZ for nothing and we should be fine by that. With 12 MIL the Sox could fill in many needs. Rocco Baldelli 5 MIL with incentives, RP Juan Cruz (4.5MIL) Bench- Willie Bloomquist 2MIL .Willie play every single position and would be a great bench guy.
Oh to be Willie Bloomquist. He had an ISO of .006 this year and people want to give him all kinds of money.

JermaineDye05
10-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same GM that traded Boof Bonser/Francisco Liriano/Joe Nathan to the Twins for AJ?

If he's still GM of the Giants then I don't think it's too far off to think he'd trade Cain for Konerko straight up. I think it will take way more for Cain, at least 1 pretty good pitching prospect.

Sox4ever77
10-11-2008, 03:01 PM

Players waive their no trade clause all the time. It may take a team offering more money or to add a year onto his contract. But it does happen a lot in baseball.

It's a barrier but it's not impossible.

Sox4ever77
10-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same GM that traded Boof Bonser/Francisco Liriano/Joe Nathan to the Twins for AJ?

If he's still GM of the Giants then I don't think it's too far off to think he'd trade Cain for Konerko straight up. I think it will take way more for Cain, at least 1 pretty good pitching prospect.

Yes the Giants still have the same GM. But it seems as though the Giants are looking to the Brewers for Fielder, Hardy and a third player for Cain. If I were the Brewers, I'd tell the Giants to **** off.

Sox4ever77
10-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Also, teams are not allowed to discuss trade possibilities before the World Series ends, so this rumor is not coming from the Giants. It is from water vapor.

Teams can talk about trade possibilities all they want. They just can't make those public. But there is always a leak and the press finds out.

Noneck

When a pitcher with a 4 year contract misses a half of season in his 1st year of the contact because of a nagging injury, the contact appears to be of a major concern.

oeo
That isn't a rumor, that's just usual dumb speculation from Phil Rogers.

voodoochile
10-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Walnuts for Rowand and some salary relief the last few years of the deal... :bandance:

Sox4ever77
10-11-2008, 03:12 PM
When a pitcher with a 4 year contract misses a half of season in his 1st year of the contact because of a nagging injury, the contact appears to be of a major concern.

So what happens if a pitcher, who had never been on the DL, signs a big contract and then misses half a season because of an injury? Would that be a bad risk?

I think the point is, all contract signings are risks. Even guys with great track records have bombed as FA signings. Guys who never went on the DL, all of a sudden spend all their time on the DL. It happens, you just don't know. Though I would never sign a FA with a history of injuries, especially pitchers.

munchman33
10-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Yes the Giants still have the same GM. But it seems as though the Giants are looking to the Brewers for Fielder, Hardy and a third player for Cain. If I were the Brewers, I'd tell the Giants to **** off.

I wouldn't. I'd say same deal, make it Lincecum. See you in the playoffs.

soxfanreggie
10-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm not sure I want Rocco Baldelli. He has a lot of talent, but with his chronic fatigue (or whatever he has that causes chronic fatigue), he wouldn't be able to play more than 2 days in a row.

Billy Ashley
10-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Um, If the Giants trade Cain for Konerko two things should happen immediately afterward:

1) Williams should be given the 2009 executive of the year award the next day (Don't even bother waiting for 2009 to happen).

2) The Giants should be contracted.

Konerko isn't very valuable at the moment. He's a 1b with below average defense coming off a bad season at the plate. Matt Cain on the other hand is a very valuable young pitcher with good results and tons of upside. Would you trade John Danks for Richie Sexson?

tstrike2000
10-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Um, If the Giants trade Cain for Konerko two things should happen immediately afterward:

1) Williams should be given the 2009 executive of the year award the next day (Don't even bother waiting for 2009 to happen).

2) The Giants should be contracted.

Konerko isn't very valuable at the moment. He's a 1b with below average defense coming off a bad season at the plate. Matt Cain on the other hand is a very valuable young pitcher with good results and tons of upside. Would you trade John Danks for Richie Sexson?

Obviously the Giants aren't dealing Cain for Konerko straight up. Since this thread is based on rumor, it's just that, a rumor. I said earlier that if the Konerko part was even remotely true then good because that sweetens the deal, but that would be just a third of the deal. The Giants would probably be asking for one of our starters and possibly someone else.

WHILEPITCH
10-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Man, if only we could convince someone that a PK/Fields package is power just in need of a restart.

Which it could be, but still maybe that could land something.

Whitesoxfan23
10-11-2008, 06:20 PM
This is now on MLBtraderumors.com. I hope there is some truth to this. Kenny would have to be a fool, not to trade Konerko for another good pitcher. Our rotation would be even more awesome. Pitching wins championships. We know this Sox fans. :smile:

DumpJerry
10-11-2008, 06:34 PM
This is now on MLBtraderumors.com. I hope there is some truth to this. Kenny would have to be a fool, not to trade Konerko for another good pitcher. Our rotation would be even more awesome. Pitching wins championships. We know this Sox fans. :smile:
99% of the rumors reported here never happen.
97% of the rumors on MLBtraderumors never happen.

Now, if Otis tells us it is happening, then it's a done deal! He's the 1% factor.

Craig Grebeck
10-11-2008, 06:43 PM
I guarantee there is absolutely no truth to this whatsoever.

munchman33
10-11-2008, 06:51 PM
99% of the rumors reported here never happen.
97% of the rumors on MLBtraderumors never happen.

Now, if Otis tells us it is happening, then it's a done deal! He's the 1% factor.

The purpose of that site is to look at every rumor being spouted off and analyze its validity. Rumors that make absolutely no sense are attacked. This rumor was attacked.

palehozenychicty
10-11-2008, 07:11 PM
The purpose of that site is to look at every rumor being spouted off and analyze its validity. Rumors that make absolutely no sense are attacked. This rumor was attacked.

Exactly. It won't happen. But if it somehow happens, and they need someone to welcome him, then I will fly to Frisco from LaGuardia, buy Matt Cain a bottle of champagne and some fresh bagels with lox, and ride on the plane with him to O'Hare. Then I'll get a plane back here for the next day.

TheOldRoman
10-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Sabean is a terrible GM, so I wouldn't doubt their part of the deal. After all, they offered to the Blue Jays Cain straight up for Alex Rios last year. The Blue Jays turned it down, which shows you how stupid Riccardi is. Nothing Sabean does surprises me. However, I don't see any reason Paulie would approve a trade to the Giants, who are going to be horrible for the rest of his contract. No way this trade happens. Now, if the Giants are listening to offers for Cain, hopefully we could make something happen.

forte
10-11-2008, 07:25 PM
He's building a home in Bridgeport. He's going nowhere.

:(:

DaveFeelsRight
10-11-2008, 07:33 PM
ok lets say this trade went down....

when do you say the moaning and bitching will start when cain has a decent year for us and konerko is raking in SF?

soxinem1
10-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Way too early to call that a bad deal. Linebrink was excellent early and never really got back in the groove when he returned. Now if he shows up with a 3.5+ ERA next year i'll be concerned.

If you judge him on a 3.5+ ERA alone, that is probably what we should expect:

2006: 3.57
2007: 3.71
2008: 3.69

Sox4ever77
10-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Can the people who think Dye would be the easiest to trade, explain why? Please?

While PK has 10/5 rights, those have been waived by many players.

Wasn't Griffey a 10/5 player? Hmmm how did he get traded?

Personally I think PK will be traded before Dye.

DumpJerry
10-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Wasn't Griffey a 10/5 player? Hmmm how did he get traded?
He approved the trade after giving it some thought and talking it over with his family.

A. Cavatica
10-11-2008, 07:43 PM
If we could get Cain for Konerko, they should build a statue of Kenny Williams and put it at first base, where it would field the position as well as Konerko.

turners56
10-11-2008, 07:48 PM

when do you say the moaning and bitching will start when cain has a decent year for us and konerko is raking in SF?

Konerko won't be raking in that big ballpark down there.

Billy Ashley
10-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Obviously the Giants aren't dealing Cain for Konerko straight up. Since this thread is based on rumor, it's just that, a rumor. I said earlier that if the Konerko part was even remotely true then good because that sweetens the deal, but that would be just a third of the deal. The Giants would probably be asking for one of our starters and possibly someone else.

What could they add on? The only player the White Sox have of similar value is Danks. Clearly they aren't going to trade Danks for Cain. What else could they add?

Cain is worth atleast a top 25 level talent, who in the minors is that good at the moment (there are very talented guys 2 or 3 years away, but no one knocking the door down for 2009)

dickallen15
10-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Why would Konerko approve a trade to a pathetic Giants team? As far as Linebrink's contract, it isn't ideal. He has 3 years left, coming off a shoulder injury with a no trade clause. Although I don't blame KW for giving it to him, I think dubious is probably correct.

Frater Perdurabo
10-11-2008, 08:49 PM
This would be a fantastic deal. Of course, I doubt it happens. But this rotation looks mighty fine:

Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Cain, Vazquez

One concern: Cain has a .79 GB/FB ratio; he's a flyball pitcher.

Still, KW could turn around and then have something to deal for a leadoff hitter (2B/3B/SS), plus payroll to sign free agents to fill the #2 hitter (2B/3B/SS) and middle relief holes. Swish moves to first and BA starts in CF. However, without Konerko, how does KW get Figgins, who fits the Sox like a glove (can lead off and play 3B)?

gr8mexico
10-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Maybe Konerko would fit better with the Yankees.
They can offer him a 2 year extension to waive his no trade clause.
Maybe a Paul Konerko for Johnny Damon trade would work.

palehozenychicty
10-11-2008, 10:05 PM
As much as people clown Damon and that arm, he'd be valuable for a year. He can still run and hit at the leadoff position. His defense, though, is just okay. I doubt that either would waive their clauses to play on either team, though, so it ain't happening.

Sox4ever77
10-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Maybe Konerko would fit better with the Yankees.
They can offer him a 2 year extension to waive his no trade clause.
Maybe a Paul Konerko for Johnny Damon trade would work.

When is Damon's contract up? I would take his expiring contract over somebody like Pierre is who has a 2-3 more years on his contract. Yes, his arm sucks but Pods didn't have a cannon either.

But Posada may not catch due to his shoulder surgery and could move to 1st.

LongLiveFisk
10-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah, the Giants want Paulie.

He can always DH for them.

RedPinStripes
10-11-2008, 10:45 PM
I know Konerko would like to play on the west coast, but I can't see why he would agree to play for a crappy team like the Giants.

tstrike2000
10-11-2008, 11:40 PM
However, without Konerko, how does KW get Figgins, who fits the Sox like a glove (can lead off and play 3B)?

Realistically, do you think the Angels would want Paulie if Texiera leaves? There's been a lot of talk at WSI of Konerko being a deal with the Angels if we tried for Figgins, but I just don't see the Angels wanting Konerko.

Noneck
10-12-2008, 12:53 AM
So what happens if a pitcher, who had never been on the DL, signs a big contract and then misses half a season because of an injury? Would that be a bad risk?

I think the point is, all contract signings are risks. Even guys with great track records have bombed as FA signings. Guys who never went on the DL, all of a sudden spend all their time on the DL. It happens, you just don't know. Though I would never sign a FA with a history of injuries, especially pitchers.

The points is: Rogers said it was a bad deal, Linebrink just completed the 1st year of a 4 year deal. The second half he was out due to a "nagging" injury and has not shown he has or will recover from this.

oeo
10-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Why would Konerko approve a trade to a pathetic Giants team? As far as Linebrink's contract, it isn't ideal. He has 3 years left, coming off a shoulder injury with a no trade clause. Although I don't blame KW for giving it to him, I think dubious is probably correct.

Does Linebrink really have a no trade clause? The only place I could find that mentions it is that dumb mlb4u site, which is known to be wrong.

BTW, I'm never going to bitch about that deal. Kenny needed to pony up last year. We had the worst bullpen in baseball in 2007 for a two month stretch.

DSpivack
10-12-2008, 01:05 AM
Does Linebrink really have a no trade clause? The only place I could find that mentions it is that dumb mlb4u site, which is known to be wrong.

BTW, I'm never going to bitch about that deal. Kenny needed to pony up last year. We had the worst bullpen in baseball in 2007 for a two month stretch.

Cot's Contracts (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html) also lists Linebrink as having a no-trade clause.

ZombieRob
10-12-2008, 11:35 AM
I know Konerko would like to play on the west coast, but I can't see why he would agree to play for a crappy team like the Giants.
Maybe National pitching? Than again another question would be, is Konerko happy here? Sometimes I wonder

ND_Sox_Fan
10-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Who wouldn't want to play on Aaron Rowand's team?

areilly
10-12-2008, 06:02 PM

You really think MLB front offices - especially the Giants' - give a crap about what the rules say they can do?

DumpJerry
10-12-2008, 06:56 PM
You really think MLB front offices - especially the Giants' - give a crap about what the rules say they can do?
Yes.

Eddo144
10-12-2008, 07:53 PM

And will they still be moaning and bitching five years from now, when Paulie's either out of the league or a shell of his former self and Cain is still having decent (or likely, better-than-decent) years for the Sox?

That's exactly why this trade won't happen. Konerko is valuable only to teams that are set to contend in 2009. The Giants are not part of that group.

soxwon
10-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Seigh Heilig would disavow this trade, MLB wont let the sox get good players, can't be better than the cubs is Selig's motto.

DumpJerry
10-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Seigh Heilig would disavow this trade, MLB wont let the sox get good players, can't be better than the cubs is Selig's motto.
Given that Reinsdorf and Selig are very good friends and Reinsdorf is one of the most powerful owners, I'm not sure what you're basing your assumptions on.

Brian26
10-12-2008, 08:20 PM

Where do you come up with this? Selig is just as pro-Sox due to his longtime friendship with Reinsdorf as any bias he has towards the Cubs.

Edit- Oops, Dump already beat me to it.

guillensdisciple
10-12-2008, 11:27 PM
While we're at it, lets get rid of Swisher for Lincecum.

BleacherBandit
10-12-2008, 11:37 PM
We should trade Swisher for Rowand straight up. It'll be an extreme/bro-guy trade with both players going back to where they belong. :cool:

SoxSpeed22
10-12-2008, 11:54 PM
If it's Cain for Konerko, you jump all over it and don't look back.
This gives the Sox 3 potential aces that are 26 or younger and more flexibility with salaries. Konerko is turning 33 and may or may not be on the way down.
If Paulie does get traded, Arizona would make the most sense. A young team like the Diamondbacks could use him as a power bat and veteran leader. They could also get some good prospects for him. Gerardo Parra would be a good one. Even though he's probably better off as a left fielder. The snakes also have some great pitchers in that system.

Craig Grebeck
10-13-2008, 12:10 AM
If it's Cain for Konerko, you jump all over it and don't look back.
This gives the Sox 3 potential aces that are 26 or younger and more flexibility with salaries. Konerko is turning 33 and may or may not be on the way down.
If Paulie does get traded, Arizona would make the most sense. A young team like the Diamondbacks could use him as a power bat and veteran leader. They could also get some good prospects for him. Gerardo Parra would be a good one. Even though he's probably better off as a left fielder. The snakes also have some great pitchers in that system.
They've got Conor Jackson. Or they could sign Dunn to play 1B. Doesn't really make sense with the options they've got.

Sox4ever77
10-13-2008, 01:06 AM

This isn't true, well it's poorly worded. Teams are talking about all kinds of trade possibilitites, internally. Of course they can't tell the press about it.

If you don't think KW or any other GM's are talking about players they want to trade, right now, you are naive.

SoxSpeed22
10-13-2008, 01:30 AM
They've got Conor Jackson. Or they could sign Dunn to play 1B. Doesn't really make sense with the options they've got.Jackson played left field for them last year, until Dunn came. They do have a log-jam at outfield so at least one of them would get traded. I would go with Jackson, Byrnes and Upton. Resigning Dunn would make sense, but if they fail to re-sign him, they could use more power. Plus Konerko is a better fielder at first.

TornLabrum
10-13-2008, 08:02 AM
While we're at it, lets get rid of Swisher for Lincecum.

:tealtutor:

Law11
10-13-2008, 08:55 AM
I love how "the Giants might kick the tires on paulie" becomes Paulie going to SF..

chaerulez
10-13-2008, 10:24 AM
This and that:

Lip

I don't think Swisher is making anymore than $6-7 million a year. With his talent, that's not a bad deal. He had a bad year. And $6-7 is not that much that it's killing your payroll numbers. A bad deal is Soriano getting paid $17 million a year in his late 30's.

munchman33
10-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't think Swisher is making anymore than $6-7 million a year. With his talent, that's not a bad deal. He had a bad year. And $6-7 is not that much that it's killing your payroll numbers. A bad deal is Soriano getting paid $17 million a year in his late 30's.

I missed when $6-7 million for a .219 hitter stopped being a bad deal? It's fine that you think he'll rebound. But the contract certainly qualifies as a bad deal.

DumpJerry
10-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Per Cot's:
2009=$5.3M
2010=$6.75M
2011=$11.0M
2012=$10.25M Club option with $1.0M buyout.

guillensdisciple
10-13-2008, 12:44 PM
:tealtutor:

Thank you sir.

btrain929
10-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Per Cot's:
2009=$5.3M
2010=$6.75M
2011=$11.0M
2012=$10.25M Club option with $1.0M buyout.

His 2011 contract is $9.0M, not $11.0M.

PS If we're talking to the Giants about any type of trade, I'd see what they'd want for either Fred Lewis or Randy Winn. I don't know if Winn can handle CF anymore and I know he has a partial no-trade clause, but offensively he is very consistent.

kittle42
10-13-2008, 02:01 PM
His 2011 contract is $9.0M, not $11.0M.

PS If we're talking to the Giants about any type of trade, I'd see what they'd want for either Fred Lewis or Randy Winn. I don't know if Winn can handle CF anymore and I know he has a partial no-trade clause, but offensively he is very consistent.

He is a good plug-in player. He's be an upgrade over our CF from last year if he can cover any ground anymore. The Giants' problem was that he was hitting third in that lineup! Any team with Randy Winn hitting third has problems.

cws05champ
10-13-2008, 02:25 PM
A year ago I thought Cain would be a more dominant pitcher. I know he is playing on a bad team but he also pitches in a huge park. I compare him to Gavin Floyd...if you factor in AL/NL and park comparisons that is basically what you are getting, another Gavin Floyd with higher K and higher walk rate.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, but I don't think Cain is the absolute stud he is being made out to be.