PDA

View Full Version : Fall/Winter Ball Thread

Craig Grebeck
10-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Not sure why we haven't had one of these yet. Our Arizona Fall League participants are: Gordon Beckham, Lucas Harrell, Aaron Poreda, Derek Rodriguez, Carlos Torres, Cole Armstrong and Maurice Gartrell.

Beckham's performance will dictate where he starts next year, IMO. If he handles himself really well, he might start in Birmingham.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winterleagues/?league=afl

Sockinchisox
10-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Beckham also has a blog for the AFL.

http://aflwhitesox.mlblogs.com/

Hagan
10-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Any news coming out of Instructional League? Has anyone taken in any games??

btrain929
10-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Any news coming out of Instructional League? Has anyone taken in any games??

Is that where Jordan Danks is at? Anyone else noteworthy?

Sockinchisox
10-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Interesting, Beckham is playing 2nd.

Although it could be just to find him ABs.

jabrch
10-11-2008, 11:07 PM

Greene and Desmond are both more likely to play SS in the bigs. Not sure where Beckham ends up...

Craig Grebeck
10-11-2008, 11:36 PM

Guys play everywhere in the AFL. It is not telling of anything.

California Sox
10-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Beckham is not playing ss because he was a late addition without a priority spot. That's all. I wouldn't read more into it than that. Greene was considered an iffy defender with a good bat when drafted. Now he's a good defender with an iffy defender. Hard to tell how things will end up when a prospect is so new to pro ball.

KenBerryGrab
10-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Keith Law in his Insider column on ESPN has a good report on Poreda. Says he saw him in two one-inning stints and that the lefty threw "91-96" in his first outing and 93-96 in the second, with big sink. The four seamers showed "late life."

He said Poreda didn't use his slider much, that one was nasty and the others average, with an early break that wouldn't fool big-league hitter.

btrain929
10-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Keith Law in his Insider column on ESPN has a good report on Poreda. Says he saw him in two one-inning stints and that the lefty threw "91-16" in his first outing and 93-96 in the second, with big sink. The four seamers showed "late life."

He said Poreda didn't use his slider much, that one was nasty and the others average, with an early break that wouldn't fool big-league hitter.

What's 91-16?

KenBerryGrab
10-13-2008, 11:09 AM
What's 91-16?

It's a typo! Should be 91-96. Dang fingers. Now edited.

btrain929
10-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Well I'm glad to hear his sinker is really effective. I would think the AFL would be the perfect time to work on his offspeed pitches. The fact that he didn't see many in 2 outings is slightly discouraging. Just teach the kid a circle change and he'll be able to get by. Sinker, c.change, and ANOTHER pitch, and he'll be really good.

EMachine10
10-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Well I'm glad to hear his sinker is really effective. I would think the AFL would be the perfect time to work on his offspeed pitches. The fact that he didn't see many in 2 outings is slightly discouraging. Just teach the kid a circle change and he'll be able to get by. Sinker, c.change, and ANOTHER pitch, and he'll be really good.
Have him develop the slider a little bit more and we could be in luck.

JorgeFabregas
10-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Poreda struck out the side while giving up a walk and a single in his first inning of work today (his third appearance in the AFL, I believe).

Beckham is playing SS today.