PDA

View Full Version : How are umpires given their assignments for a game?

Frater Perdurabo
10-10-2008, 07:15 AM
One thing I've noticed is that when umpires are announced just before or as a game is starting, it seems that the crew chief is very frequently at third base.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I just experiencing a weird coincidence? (I don't watch every game obviously.)

Does the crew chief get to choose which base/plate he will umpire?

If not, who decides who is umpiring each base/plate? Is it based on seniority? Are there rules they must follow; must they rotate each game?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Mohoney
10-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Most of the time, unless injuries or other circumstances cause a deviation, the umpiring rotation for a regular 4 man crew goes: Home plate to 3B, 3B to 2B, 2B to 1B, 1B to Home plate. That way, the most stressful burden (Home plate) is shared evenly.

Mohoney
10-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Another quick point: IIRC, umpire Jim Wolf is not allowed to work the plate in games where his brother Randy Wolf is pitching.

The Milkman
10-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Another quick point: IIRC, umpire Jim Wolf is not allowed to work the plate in games where his brother Randy Wolf is pitching.

Shouldn't he not be allowed to even umpire the game period?

SOXPHILE
10-10-2008, 11:21 AM
:hawk
"I don't know, but however they line it up, it's done in a way that puts our Sox at a disadvantage. I mean, that is B.S. !"

AnkleSox
10-10-2008, 11:22 AM

Does CB Buckner have a brother that plays that the Sox can trade for?