PDA

View Full Version : Still Wondering - When's Our Rally?

vvhiteS0x
10-10-2008, 12:36 AM
:angry:

CHISOXFAN13
10-10-2008, 12:39 AM
White Sox clinched the American League Central Division just as well as the Chicago Cubs clinched their National League Division. When is our rally going to be scheduled at the Daley Center downtown?

It's an MLB sponsored event. The other seven teams who clinched before us all had them. But there was no time to have one for the Sox because they were still playing the day those teams had theirs!

It's NOT a big deal. I can't believe people would be pissed off about this. Oh wait, yes I can...

chisoxfanatic
The "official" Blackout WAS our rally, and it was much better than anything that could've been put together downtown.

Dub25
White Sox clinched the American League Central Division just as well as the Chicago Cubs clinched their National League Division. When is our rally going to be scheduled at the Daley Center downtown?

1) Who cares.

2) It was a MLB production that they started in 2006. Since the Sox took a little longer to clinch, I don't think it fit in to MLB's plans.

GlassSox
10-10-2008, 01:19 AM
The "official" Blackout WAS our rally, and it was much better than anything that could've been put together downtown.

And what a great rally it was, probably the best I ever attended. :D:

cbrownson13
10-10-2008, 08:40 AM

The White Sox didn't even clinch a spot until 2 days before the playoff game was scheduled to be played. With one of those days being a travel day. When do you suggest they should have had it?

doublem23
10-10-2008, 08:42 AM
The Friday after the 2005 World Series.

Much better than the Cubs' crappy rally.

Law11
10-10-2008, 08:43 AM

Exactly.. Those rallies are so weak to begin with.. They trot out old players and gimmicks for an hour. You leave there going.. really, that was it?

redsand22
10-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Exactly what I was going to say. The blackout and staying for an hour after the W was our rally!

chisoxmike
10-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Holy ****ing ****.

1: The Sox had a rally in 2005 before the playoffs at Block 37.

2: Rally Monday is a MLB sponsored event.

3: The Cubs had one because they got the job done early enough so they could schedule one.

4: The Sox won the division two days before the playoffs started meaning they probably could not put one together in time THE NEXT DAY!

5: Does it matter? Does not having a rally make the 2008 any less exciting?

I want Mags back
10-10-2008, 10:29 AM
1) Who cares.

2) It was a MLB production that they started in 2006. Since the Sox took a little longer to clinch, I don't think it fit in to MLB's plans.

They had one in '05. I remember jokingly asking my mom if I could skip school to go. She said if they won it all and had a real parade and rally she'd pull me from school. It happened

jabrch
10-10-2008, 11:02 AM

Next year - when we actually win something.

Rohan
10-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Wow.. Jump down his throat...

Rocky Soprano
10-10-2008, 11:28 AM

Why not?
Some people love to complain about everything!

Oh, the Cubs got one, why not the Sox?!
Is that truly good reasoning? :rolleyes:

thomas35forever
10-10-2008, 11:43 AM
:whocares

kitekrazy
10-10-2008, 11:45 AM
It's an MLB sponsored event. The other seven teams who clinched before us all had them. But there was no time to have one for the Sox because they were still playing the day those teams had theirs!

It's NOT a big deal. I can't believe people would be pissed off about this. Oh wait, yes I can...

Well since this is the only Chicago team to win a world series this century, I guess are standards have changed. We must be the all or nothing crowd. I guess they don't release propaganda based on projection and wait till reality plays out.

Maybe there will be one at the end of October 2009.

kittle42
10-10-2008, 11:45 AM

Why not?

Is that truly good reasoning? :rolleyes:

Yeah, sometimes, a post is just so bad that the pile-on is called for. I'm sure I've had some.

areilly
10-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Well since this is the only Chicago team to win a world series this century, I guess are standards have changed. We must be the all or nothing crowd. I guess they don't release propaganda based on projection and wait till reality plays out.

Maybe there will be one at the end of October 2009.

Okay, so someone please explain to us the logistics of how they would pull it off. Who is available to speak on the Sox' behalf? What local pols or celebs could appear on 12 hours' notice? What Sox players and personnel would be on hand as the team was already en route to Florida literally hours after they won #163?

Where would it be held that is big enough and accessible enough to justify putting this on? Could you shut down that area on such short notice? What time would it be held? Will you need to clear overtime with the applicable city departments to keep other projects and operations on track? What kind of media coverage could you line up? What auxiliary entertainment could you round up? How do you guarantee it all goes off in the time needed?

How about a stage? Do you have a sound guy at the ready? How about security detail? Does the CPD need extra personnel on hand to redirect traffic and act as crowd control?

There's more to it than just a bunch of people showing up in their Swisher jerseys. I don't know why this is so hard for some people to grasp.

guillensdisciple
10-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Doesn't matter and if it did, **** everyone.

After seeing what transpired in the playoffs, I will never have a Cubs fan mock me again. We are the only team in Chicago, and we don't need a damn rally to prove it. We win, that is all we need. Next year we will show everyone in the baseball world that White Sox baseball is here to stay.

kittle42
10-10-2008, 01:30 PM
After seeing what transpired in the playoffs, I will never have a Cubs fan mock me again. We are the only team in Chicago, and we don't need a damn rally to prove it. We win, that is all we need. Next year we will show everyone in the baseball world that White Sox baseball is here to stay.

But they won the attendance championship again! That's most important, don't you know?

Procol Harum
10-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Oh... THAT rally. I thought you might still be lamenting Game 4 of the ALDS and the Sox down 6-2 late--we all pretty much knew that wasn't happening any more than we thought we'd get the lame Daley Center rally.

ChiSoxFan81
10-10-2008, 02:56 PM
We would have had a rally along with the Cubs if we didn't need the tiebreaker to decide it. But who cares? Who goes to these things anyways? Obviously a few dozen people who work/live downtown and have time on their lunch to stop by. Whip-dee-do.

EuroSox35
10-10-2008, 08:34 PM
I don't really care about it, I wouldn't have attended, but they could have done one. I don't see what it matters when the Sox got in, it's not like any players attend these. The Cubs one was on like 8 channels, interrupting regular programming and whole newscasts during the day, big news story on the updates I was hearing too. Teams who clinch on the last day of the season still have one, it's not like this has to be planned months in advance...

2008 should be easy proof that the teams don't get equal treatment. People will always defend the outlets and then resort to 'who cares' when it looks too clear to even argue, but man. You've got comparisons on newspaper treatment for basically the same accomplishment, sports radio hosts ridiculing the Sox about the Cubs, from records, to number of fans, number of all stars, and all that crap all year long. All those stupid books about a 'special year' or 'run' that hadn't even happened, all other items sold in stores, apparel, etc. And in the end, we accomplished slightly (but not really much) more against better competition and with being much less likely to do anything (facing one of the better teams in the league after losing those allstars, one a MVP candidate, and a starting pitcher). Some times this city sucks

Rdy2PlayBall
10-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Why not?

Is that truly good reasoning? :rolleyes:Every team got one, thats the point. I am sure everyone on this board has some hard feelings that the Cubs get everything... even be on Saturday Night Live! :mad: .... :tongue: Still, I understand that is probably too late to have one, but that is no reason to not have something done for the Sox. I could care less, one extra day of baseball and a whole other season (short 4 games, but still) is better than any rally in my opinion. :D:

RedPinStripes
10-11-2008, 12:33 AM
We don't need no ****ty division title rally. I've seen 5 division titles as a Sox fan and only one of them really meant anything.

We had the largest baseball rally this town ever saw in grant park in 05. That was well deserved.

grv1974
10-11-2008, 01:12 AM

I preferred the "unofficial" blackout myself.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-11-2008, 02:56 AM
You guys think they will have some sort of 2008 success rally? :?:

Rocky Soprano
10-11-2008, 10:14 AM
You guys think they will have some sort of 2008 success rally? :?:

Did we win the World Series?
No we did not, so we failed.

Warriorjan
10-11-2008, 10:22 AM
The papers prepared the books thinking the Cubs were going to the World Series. Now they are stuck with them and probably will find it hard to even give them away. Driving on LSD after the game Sunday did see some of the buildings in Grant Park had Sox on them. Would have liked to see the helmet on the Picasso, but other than that I am fine with no rally due to the lateness of our clinching. Cubs were made fun of on SNL, etc. - don't want to be under those circumstances anyway.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Did we win the World Series?
No we did not, so we failed.I had another post with a link to a video I made, but I had to take it off. That was just a filler post so I didn't look like an idiot with a "can't post this link" or something right in the middle of my post. So no, I don't really want a rally anymore after we didn't get one, do don't look at me like that! :mad: ... you were making a face when you typed that, right? :tongue:

manders_01
10-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Every team got one, thats the point. I am sure everyone on this board has some hard feelings that the Cubs get everything... even be on Saturday Night Live! :mad: .... :tongue: Still, I understand that is probably too late to have one, but that is no reason to not have something done for the Sox. I could care less, one extra day of baseball and a whole other season (short 4 games, but still) is better than any rally in my opinion. :D:

So have the Sox. :shrug:

Rdy2PlayBall
10-11-2008, 01:32 PM
So have the Sox. :shrug:Thanks, but you really didn't have to say it that way, I was just messing around. Why the heck would any of us want the Sox to be made fun of for losing? :scratch:

Btw... When and what was it about? :tongue:

chisoxmike
10-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Do you know the Night of September 30th after we clinched most news stories lead with the Cub’s rally instead of the Sox Championship?

That is so wrong it's not even funny. Every 10pm newscast led with the Sox. I know this for a fact.

And for the last time, the Sox would have had a rally if they would have got the job done in Minnesota. ALL TEAMS THAT MAKE THE POSTSEASON GET A RALLY. THEY ARE SPONSORED MLB EVENTS. THE CITY DOES NOT PICK AND CHOOSE WHO GETS A RALLY. THE SOX DID NOT BECAUSE OF THE TIMING OF THE DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP.

I'm all for Cubs hate. But this is so ****ing dumb.

RedPinStripes
10-11-2008, 10:41 PM
:threadsucks

DumpJerry
10-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Do you know the Night of September 30th after we clinched most news stories lead with the Cubís rally instead of the Sox Championship? Iím sadden you guys arenít behind be on this one. So what?!? For my whole life the Cubís have always been the darlings of the Chicago sport scene. Chicagoans always seemed more cool or hip if they were Cubs fans. The Sox were the poor working guyís beer drinking AAA team. The Cubís were the white collar better-than-you brie and wine drinking sophisticated gentlemanís professional team. Bridgeport verses Lincoln Park. Blue collar verses white collar. Southside verses Northside. I take it VERY PERSONALLY not to being recognized for our awesome team and to be treated as the ďBastard Child of ChicagoĒ. The "rally" isnít the point. I want the city to CELEBRATE & RECOGNIZE our American League Central Division Champions. I had to painfully endure this my whole life and watch my guys being ignored even when they have done well. When the Sox would come close to the play offs it would hardly set off the buzz as much as when the Cubs would have a hint of even having a shot at even a wild card. I shutter to think about the celebration that would happen if the Cubs would win the World Series. Iím just sick of it.
I did not realize being a White Sox fan is so rough.

And I live on the North Side.

WHILEPITCH
10-11-2008, 11:15 PM
this girl from bridgeport once told me she roots for the Cubs because "everybody roots for the Sox"

get out of bridgeport much??

kittle42
10-13-2008, 01:59 PM
this girl from bridgeport once told me she roots for the Cubs because "everybody roots for the Sox"

get out of bridgeport much??

My understanding of Bridgeport natives is that no, they don't.

chaerulez
10-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but seriously why does a rally matter? Does it help our team get any closer to a championship?

The only rally that matters is the one you have after winning it all.

Rohan
10-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but seriously why does a rally matter? Does it help our team get any closer to a championship?

The only rally that matters is the one you have after winning it all.

You're ABSOLUTELY beating a dead horse.. That's been said several times before...

But i'd say it is true that it's widely seen that the cubs are the team for the white collar types. I'm not sure what it is that made things that way...

kittle42
10-14-2008, 01:00 AM
You're ABSOLUTELY beating a dead horse.. That's been said several times before...

But i'd say it is true that it's widely seen that the cubs are the team for the white collar types. I'm not sure what it is that made things that way...

South side v. North side stereotypes and neighborhood gentrification.