PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel this way

longtimesoxguy
10-09-2008, 10:27 PM
First time poster-This season was many things but what stood out most to me was the spirit of the Sox fan is very healthy. No matter if there was 18,000 or 39,000 people at the game the energy level was always high. My father was a season ticket holder for 26 years. I started going to games in 1972 and have attended 10 to 30 games a year since and this season seemed the most spirited. The 05 champs will always be my favorite team followed by the 1990 squad but this year was the most fun I've had at the ball park. And the play-in game was the best game I have ever attended(including all 05 playoff games) due to it being all sox fans at the game.

thomas35forever
10-09-2008, 10:29 PM
I like you attitude. You'll like it here.
:welcome:

chisoxfanatic
10-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Welcome to WSI, first of all. You'll find this place to be the best baseball site online. And, yea, I'd agree with you there. We have had some of the best crowds this season that I've ever experienced as well. Hawk Harrelson even mentioned it almost every time he was mentioning that tickets were still on sale for various games. I truly believe the fans helped make Comiskey a hard place for opponents to play.

Next year should be more of the same, especially if KW makes some nice moves, which I have no reason to believe he won't.

longtimesoxguy
10-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks. I have lurked her before just started posting. I would love to see KW get more speed period.We could live with Thome, Paulie and JD if we can
get speed hot speed in front of them. I don't know if Swish can fit in.TCQ, TCM, AJ and even Crede(who I still give a chance on being back with 1yr. deal)can run ok. Get us 2 speed burners who can get on and we will be much better.

GlassSox
10-10-2008, 12:16 AM
First time poster-This season was many things but what stood out most to me was the spirit of the Sox fan is very healthy. No matter if there was 18,000 or 39,000 people at the game the energy level was always high. My father was a season ticket holder for 26 years. I started going to games in 1972 and have attended 10 to 30 games a year since and this season seemed the most spirited. The 05 champs will always be my favorite team followed by the 1990 squad but this year was the most fun I've had at the ball park. And the play-in game was the best game I have ever attended(including all 05 playoff games) due to it being all sox fans at the game.

I agree about the fans at the games this year. There always seemed to be energy and the tie breaker game was remarkable.

Welcome to WSI

nccwsfan
10-10-2008, 09:45 AM
The energy at White Sox home games is better than I've ever seen, and the amount of people that travel to see them play on the road increases each year. I'm amazed at the number of people who make the trip to Baltimore- for those who haven't done it try to; you'll be happy you did.

Welcome to WSI.

mccoydp
10-10-2008, 10:15 AM
I agree with you. I was floored by the energy at the Sox vs. Angels game (TCQ walk-off HR) in May. There is simply no comparison to the games I went to in 1992 and early 1993.

GreenWoman3212
10-10-2008, 10:23 AM
TCQ's walk off against the angels was one of the best games I've been to all season, next to the blackout.

I think that's when it kind of started to sink in how amazing CQ is. We were all walking down the ramp and chanting "Carlos Quentin". It was amazing.

The Nick Swisher walk off against Detroit was great too. When I got on the train after that game, everyone had big smiles plastered to their faces.

longtimesoxguy
10-10-2008, 11:04 AM
What I have found fun is I see fans walking all over my neighborhood going to games dressed in sox gear and we all acknowledge each other with nod and a smile. The weekend games are the best.

soxfan21
10-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I felt the same way this season. Every game that I went to, the crowd did seem very energized, especially for all 3 blackout games which were just crazy. It is good to see and feel all of the energy at these games, hopefully this carries over to next season when we make it back to the playoffs.

guillensdisciple
10-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Welcome to WSI, first of all. You'll find this place to be the best baseball site online. And, yea, I'd agree with you there. We have had some of the best crowds this season that I've ever experienced as well. Hawk Harrelson even mentioned it almost every time he was mentioning that tickets were still on sale for various games. I truly believe the fans helped make Comiskey a hard place for opponents to play.

Next year should be more of the same, especially if KW makes some nice moves, which I have no reason to believe he won't.

Not bias at all...

Anyway, I will agree with you, this year seemed to be a very spirited year for all sox fan, which is odd considering what we went through in '07.

After '05 any type of first place run will create buzz with the fans, and that is what I believe happened. We smelled playoffs with this team and jumped all over it. With the emergence of Alexei and Quentin, plus great pitching in the first half we got that feeling of "maybe we can do it again". So we got excited, and for a good reason, this team gave us a hell of a show.

FoulkeFan
10-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I think Hawk agrees with you. Did you see this quote from yesterday's Tribune?

"I played in Boston, I played in Fenway Park (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/baseball/fenway-park-PLREC000025.topic). I have never seen the fans count as much as our fans this season. It was phenomenal. Not one game can I recall when our fans were not a factor." Harrelson, talking about the influence of Sox fans at U.S. Cellular Field (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/baseball/u.s.-cellular-field-PLTRA0000163.topic).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-081008-mitchell-ron-santo-hawk-harrelson,0,485620.column (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-081008-mitchell-ron-santo-hawk-harrelson,0,485620.column)

LoveYourSuit
10-10-2008, 01:14 PM
The feeling on this team when they were at home compared to when they were on the road was a like night and day. Complete 180s.

The road games were dreadful and you almost wanted to poke your eyeballs with needles. The home games were very exciting.

I think the renovaitons of the ballpark have done a ton to get excitement in there and also for the acoustics of crowd noise. US Cellular Field is a true Home Field Advantage. This why the Sox can not push away from keeping enough thump in that middle of the order regardless of the desire of having speed all over the place. You have to keep mashers in there for 3-4-5-6-7 and even 8 in the order.

ChiSoxFan81
10-10-2008, 02:06 PM
This year was a good time at the Cell. I went to more games this year than I ever have before, and it was a blast. I'm not sure exactly why this was. Maybe it was exciting to see some young guys come out of nowhere and excel. Maybe it was overcoming last year's poor results. Maybe it was all the walkoffs and great plays. Whatever the reason, I didn't want this year to end. I have this strange feeling I've never had before after a season. We didn't win it all, but yet, I'm content, even happy with our season. More than anything, I'm proud. Maybe having the burden of history off our shoulders, we can relax and not need to win it all every year. Don't get me wrong, I still want to win every year, but not getting it done this year really wasn't disappointing. I know for sure I was always upset when we just missed the playoffs or lost in 2000 and 1993. This year, I don't have that feeling. Next year, though, I think my expectations will be to top our results this year.

BainesHOF
10-11-2008, 11:59 AM
There's no doubt the crowds have picked up their attentiveness and interest in the games this season. I surmise it has nothing to do with the inanity that goes on between innings at the ballpark.

This is a perfect time to get rid of all that garbage. The height of amateurish came during Game 2 of the ALDS when a fan was stationed in right field during an inning break catching five fly balls in some kind of lame contest. It looked so minor league and so horribly out of place at a postseason game. It made us look bush league.

At the very least, the between inning promotions need to stay the heck off the field.

Also, the atmosphere was improved during the final handful of games due to the presence of Nancy Faust. It made the games seem like they were indeed being played on the South Side of Chicago instead of at some generic ballpark in some generic city.

Brian26
10-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Also, the atmosphere was improved during the final handful of games due to the presence of Nancy Faust. It made the games seem like they were indeed being played on the South Side of Chicago instead of at some generic ballpark in some generic city.

If I recall, she played Run Around Sue during ALDS Game 2 for what seemed like the first time in years. Surprisingly, it seemed like the entire crowd joined in with her. It wasn't after a pitching change, but it was still a nice throwback.

Jurr
10-12-2008, 11:05 AM
If I recall, she played Run Around Sue during ALDS Game 2 for what seemed like the first time in years. Surprisingly, it seemed like the entire crowd joined in with her. It wasn't after a pitching change, but it was still a nice throwback.
I think that was game 3, but I hear ya. Beautifully done. I like what the first poster said (by the way, welcome!) about "the health of Sox fans". The championship has taken that "sucking a chair up your butt" fear out of rooting for the Sox. Sox fans have recently tasted the champagne that had been denied our GRANDPARENTS, and life is good. You actually see what a championship baseball team is like, and you know when this or that version of the Sox isn't (or has a chance to be) it. You just get to enjoy the ride a little more, IMO.

Sox fans are (in my opinion) the same crowd as far as attentiveness and passion for the game, but the atmosphere is a little more like a daily celebration of loving the Sox. Kudos to Brooks and the crowd for warming up the stadium, kudos to Jerry, KW, and Ozzie for taking the monkey off of our backs, and thanks to the fans that rock that joint every night.

I have been to many Sox games in my life, and though the '05 Throwback night is my all time favorite game to be in attendance, the crowd for game 3 of this playoff series was just a lot of FUN, from first pitch to the walk down 35th, hearing Sox fans chanting and horns blowing. Awesome year.

hawkjt
10-13-2008, 05:05 PM
yes, Soxpark was just a lotta fun this year. The game 3 victory created a lifetime memory for my son and I as he was home on leave from Iraq the past two weeks and we just had so much fun that day. He has followed the sox from Bagdad all summer and to be able to actually make a playoff victory game was a dream come true. It made his departure yesterday a little less sad for all of us.

As for the mood of this fan after this season...it is all positive..primarily due to the emergence of Danks,Floyd,Quentin, and Alexei. Having young talented players come to the fore like this really gets you fired up for the future. Now, if Kenny can find a few more to fill the holes for next year, look out AL Central. I expect Sox to sell more season tickets this year in the spring coming off this momentum.

GlassSox
10-13-2008, 09:07 PM
yes, Soxpark was just a lotta fun this year. The game 3 victory created a lifetime memory for my son and I as he was home on leave from Iraq the past two weeks and we just had so much fun that day. He has followed the sox from Bagdad all summer and to be able to actually make a playoff victory game was a dream come true. It made his departure yesterday a little less sad for all of us.

As for the mood of this fan after this season...it is all positive..primarily due to the emergence of Danks,Floyd,Quentin, and Alexei. Having young talented players come to the fore like this really gets you fired up for the future. Now, if Kenny can find a few more to fill the holes for next year, look out AL Central. I expect Sox to sell more season tickets this year in the spring coming off this momentum.

From a Vietnam vet to your son, America thanks you for your service and we are thankful for the family's sacrifice.

I am glad you both were able to make a playoff game.

Frontman
10-13-2008, 09:35 PM
In 2005, we can say all we want that we "knew" it was our year, that we were "destined" and all that garbage. But when it comes down to it, none of us "knew" they would win. Heck, a lot of us still believed that this is Chicago, our sports teams know how to break our hearts.

Then, in 2006, a team "on paper" to repeat didn't even make the playoffs.

In 2007, the Sox didn't even get a whiff of first place for more than a day or two.

In 2008; Kenny, Ozzie, Coop, and co. proved that even with a "flawed" team, they would show that they could give the team a 'punchers' chance in a professional fight.

After 2007, we needed a team that even if it wasn't the best, was sure as hell going to make its opponent know that the Sox were here to fight, win/lose/draw.

The 2008 season when it comes to Word Association?

Fun.

RadioheadRocks
10-13-2008, 09:57 PM
"Are you feeling... you feeling that way too..." :bandance:

hawkjt
10-13-2008, 11:07 PM
From a Vietnam vet to your son, America thanks you for your service and we are thankful for the family's sacrifice.

I am glad you both were able to make a playoff game.

Thanks... and thanks to the person on this board who posted that some extra tickets were going to be released which allowed me to jump in there and grab some.

KenBerryGrab
10-14-2008, 09:45 AM
"Are you feeling... you feeling that way too..." :bandance:
ooooo, ooooo, any time that you want me...

Jurr
10-14-2008, 11:23 AM
In 2005, we can say all we want that we "knew" it was our year, that we were "destined" and all that garbage. But when it comes down to it, none of us "knew" they would win. Heck, a lot of us still believed that this is Chicago, our sports teams know how to break our hearts.

Then, in 2006, a team "on paper" to repeat didn't even make the playoffs.

In 2007, the Sox didn't even get a whiff of first place for more than a day or two.

In 2008; Kenny, Ozzie, Coop, and co. proved that even with a "flawed" team, they would show that they could give the team a 'punchers' chance in a professional fight.

After 2007, we needed a team that even if it wasn't the best, was sure as hell going to make its opponent know that the Sox were here to fight, win/lose/draw.

The 2008 season when it comes to Word Association?

Fun.
It was a frustrating year with the inconsistency, but we did have lots of fun. Awesome.

Right now I feel like the guys on those "Ex" commercials about smoking. You know..where they can't put sugar in their coffee correctly or get in the car for work anymore because they don't have a cigarette.

When I get home from the office, I feel kinda lost without that Sox routine. I hate this part of the year.

voodoochile
10-14-2008, 11:38 AM
How can you not be energized and excited to be a Sox fan at this moment in history? A WS, a 90 win season and a second trip to the playoffs all within a 4 season span. You want validation? If this keeps up, the Sox will soon be getting all the same coverage as NY, Boston and LAAAAAA on a national scale because they will be forced to reckon us into their thinking. Well, maybe not identical coverage - that's just silly, but media types who actually want to be taken seriously will have to calculate the Sox into their predictions.

Players on the national stage and the fans have shown just how passionate they are about the team too boot. Again, any media mope who wasn't watching the three must win games and the blackout and the intensity and the cheering is a total mope. Dismiss the this team and these fans at your peril. We're here to stay...

VeeckAsInWreck
10-14-2008, 11:41 AM
When I get home from the office, I feel kinda lost without that Sox routine. I hate this part of the year.

I'm with you on that one. At the moment I've been watching the playoff games but it's not the same.

One thing I did do was copy some highlights from the Sox website and burned them on to a DVD to watch whenever I need my Sox fix.

However the time of year I find the hardest is the gap you get between the Super Bowl and the start of spring training. To pass the time I watch some of my favorite baseball movies like Eight Men Out, Major League 1 & 2, The Sandlot, A League Of Their Own, Bull Durham, and so on.

kitekrazy
10-15-2008, 02:11 PM
It was a frustrating year with the inconsistency, but we did have lots of fun. Awesome.

Right now I feel like the guys on those "Ex" commercials about smoking. You know..where they can't put sugar in their coffee correctly or get in the car for work anymore because they don't have a cigarette.

It's called White Sox withdrawal.

I can't wait for next season. They have a great nucleus of great young players. They are the reason for this years success.