PDA

View Full Version : New Stadium for the Twins?

Daver
05-18-2002, 01:14 PM
If this happens I bet Pohlad doesn't sell.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0517/1383890.html

Nellie_Fox
05-19-2002, 03:25 AM
I think you're right Daver. Pohlad will give the team to his kid if the stadium deal gets done, because the team will double in value immediately. But I still think this will fall through.

ma-gaga
05-19-2002, 08:28 AM
Well, they passed it last night. The highlights: Citywide tax. If the city wants a new stadium, they'll have to pass a referendum and Minneapolis is handcuffed with a provision in their city charter.

Free stadiums for all!!!

Wsoxmike59
05-19-2002, 08:53 AM
From that very article this jumped out at me.

Lawmakers were expected to vote on a bill that called for the Twins to deliver $120 million in advance of any bond sale -- more than one-third of the stadium's $330 million cost upfront -- and pay an annual rent of at least $10 million. The Twins still haven't declared how much they are willing to pay off the bat.

You gotta love these knucklehead owners in MLB. Polhad is a BILLIONAIRE and he can't come up with 1/3 of the stadium cost?? Yeah, I'm sure.

If the Twins were contracted tomorrow I would not shed a tear, as they "stole" the Senators from Washington D.C. back in '62 by building Cal Griffith a FREE ballpark. The same goes for Tampa Bay too. After they tried to hijack the Wsox back in '87-'88, I hope they are contracted as well.

The A.L. could definitely lose those two cities and be no worse off then they are now. The quality of play would get better in the league and it would cut down on travel.

I would be in favor of contracting the Twins, D'Rays, and Expos and combining them as one team or two teams and placing them in Indianapolis or perhaps Memphis, Louisville, or even Buffalo NY. I'm sure between those cities someone would gladly have a Major League team.

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2002, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Wsoxmike59
I would be in favor of contracting the Twins, D'Rays, and Expos and combining them as one team or two teams and placing them in Indianapolis or perhaps Memphis, Louisville, or even Buffalo NY. I'm sure between those cities someone would gladly have a Major League team.
Sure, as long as they build a free stadium first. Jeez, you combine those three teams, and you could have a whale of a club.

The story in the St. Paul Pioneer Press didn't sound optimistic at all. The Twins' spokesman was pretty negative about the deal. Minneapolis is prohibited from kicking in more than $10 mil by their own ordinance, and St. Paul residents soundly defeated a referendum once before.

CLR01
05-20-2002, 03:51 AM

You gotta love these knucklehead owners in MLB. Polhad is a BILLIONAIRE and he can't come up with 1/3 of the stadium cost?? Yeah, I'm sure.

How is his value determined? Im sure he doesnt have billions sitting around in a savings account.

FarmerAndy
05-20-2002, 12:44 PM

D-Rays and Expos, I don't care. But I don't want to see the Twins contracted. I'd hate to lose a midwest rival. Minneapolis is a great city (they gave us Husker Du and The Replacements!) and I'd hate the thought of not having a big league baseball team there.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-20-2002, 01:38 PM
I find it fascinating that so many baseball fans willingly accept the notion that somebody else's baseball team should be eliminated--presumably for the good of the sport, whatever that may be.

The worst team in baseball this season will win roughly 60 games. Meanwhile, the best teams will win around 100. The difference (40 games) is less than 25 percent of the total season.

Compare that to the NBA, where the worst teams teams will win 20, and the best will win over 60. The difference is a whopping 50 percent of the 82 game schedule.

So why aren't NBA fans talking like baseball fans about contraction?

Here's the answer: the people running the NBA are marketing their product, not trashing it the way people running baseball routinely trash their own product.

It's a measure of the destructive level of MLB's anti-marketing of the sport that we're even having these discussions. The men running this game are at best incompetent, and at worst pariahs to be hated for what they steal from the rest of us for their own selfish gain.

Talk about "haves" and "have nots". Sheesh...

Chisox353014
05-20-2002, 02:13 PM
The same goes for Tampa Bay too. After they tried to hijack the Wsox back in '87-'88, I hope they are contracted as well.

My feelings exactly. Why MLB ever expanded there in the first place is beyond me. Screw Tampa.
The Twins, on the other hand, should stay.

Nellie_Fox
05-21-2002, 01:50 AM
Well, today's news is that the Twins find the stadium deal unacceptable. The $330 mil is for a "roof-ready" ballpark, the Twins' spokesman said they would want a retractable roof right away.

Believe me, Pohlad doesn't want to save the Twins for the Twin Cities. He wants to take his $150 mil contraction buyout and run.

ma-gaga
05-21-2002, 02:23 PM
ahh. The bill is there. It's not as complete as the Twins want, and it really has no chance of ever advancing beyond where it is now. I'd be completely surprised if residents of either St.Paul or Minneapolis would be willing to support an extra 3% bar/hotel tax.

If they can raise the funds through more car rental fees, and other "visitor" fees or user fees (just tax the hell out of the tickets...) they'll have a chance. But in order for this bill to work, the "public" funds will have to be spread out thinly into user fees. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

The talk of eliminating teams is ludicrous. Even crappy teams like the Devil Rays should exist. I cannot believe that there is not more of a public outcry against the owners.

I'm seriously considering hiring Daver out, to "talk" to Bud Selig...
:tool
"hey, who's that guy with the bow?"