PDA

View Full Version : All time Class Act team

Frontman
10-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Inspired by the Bad Character thread, I was wondering who you'd have as a roster of all time Class Act players from the Sox? Who are guys that just amaze you for their class-act good guy behavior; both on and off the field?

Right off the bat, you have to include Ken Griffey Jr. and Jim Thome. Griff had a blast these past two months? Thome, epitome of "old school" baseball hero?

Who else? From personal experience, I have to include Ron Kittle and Ozzie Guillen (albeit how he was with kids.) When I was a kid in Bridgeport, we were over at the park a lot; and both would always stop for autographs for the kids everytime we saw them.

And anyone willing to wave to my kid with a smile when he's freaking out with "Dad, dad, that's Mark Buehrle! Hi Mark Buehrle!!!" is a classy guy.

DumpJerry
10-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Jaime Burke for not pulling a shiv on Hunter.

SaltyPretzel
10-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Billy Pierce

twsoxfan5
10-09-2008, 08:22 AM
The "Milkman" Herbert Perry.

The Milkman
10-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Jermaine Dye

Hitmen77
10-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Robin Ventura

Thome25
10-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Mark Buehrle and absolutely "Gentleman Jim Thome". Jim's character is one of the reasons my username is Thome25. He's absolutely the "Anti-Frank Thomas" when it comes to overall attitude. I still love Frank though.

guillen4life13
10-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Mark Buehrle and absolutely "Gentleman Jim Thome". Jim's character is one of the reasons my username is Thome25. He's absolutely the "Anti-Frank Thomas" when it comes to overall attitude. I still love Frank though.

Can't do Thome. The DH spot is reserved for this guy:

:canseco

KenBerryGrab
10-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Harold. The story about him tipping a cabbie $100 after just being signed still resonates.

Scott Fletcher.

Ray Durham.

Fisk.

JD.

kevingrt
10-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Harold Baines.

Roberto Hernandez.

chisoxfanatic
10-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Robin Ventura
Absolutely. Just one of the many reasons he is my favorite baseball player of all-time. Add Paul Konerko to this list. What he did with that World Series ball was absolutely classy, and he always seems classy to the fans.

BainesHOF
10-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Definitely Harold Baines.

A quick story: For my 16th birthday in March of 1983, my mom wrote him a letter to spring training and sent him a check, asking him if he could send me something. He wound up returning the check along with a couple White Sox t-shirts out of the clubhouse along with a birthday note. Everything arrived in an oversized envelope addressed in his own handwriting.

MeteorsSox4367
10-09-2008, 11:58 AM
When I was in high school, I worked for SportsService in the summers of 1984 and 1985. I was assigned to work in the commissary down the third-base line which is where the players' parking lot was.

Having to be there three hours before the game, I was able to get some of the players on the team to sign my hat for me. I got Walker, Bannister, Dotson and some of the other guys on the team. Since I was a kid and did ask politely, I got their autographs which I still have.

As for opposing players, I once chased down Tigers catcher Lance Parrish when I was working there. As I got to him before he reached the clubhouse, I was out of breath from running. Before he signed for me, Parrish asked me, "Kid, you alright?" After nodding I was, he signed my notebook for me.

WhiteSox5187
10-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Mark Buerhle might be one of the nicest guys I've never met. Once in Baltimore though I was hanging out by the rail as the Sox were warming up with some kids and just watching nothing in particular when Mark Buerhle turned around from first base and said "Would you kids like an autograph or something?" No one was calling out his name or anything, he just figured those kids might want an autograph. Real cool

thomas35forever
10-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Jim Thome without question. You could probably put Swish in there too because of his charity work. Remember earlier in the year when the kid who lost his leg to cancer threw out the first pitch?

Zisk77
10-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Harold. The story about him tipping a cabbie $100 after just being signed still resonates.

Scott Fletcher.

Ray Durham.

Fisk.

JD.

Actually Fletcher is kind of a jerk. During the strike he hit at my parents batting cages in Ga. We would let him and jeff treadway hit whenever they wanted if they just gave us some advance notice when they were coming. Scott would show up unnannounced while we were busy and want the cage to himself. He was also kind of abrasive to deal with. Treadway was very nice however.

Britt Burns
10-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Fisk just because he played the game the right way--dignified, respectfully.

Harold just because he is awesome and was Mr. Whie Sox when that didn't mean squat.

Gotta put Kittle on that list, and Mark Buehrle of course.

Mohoney
10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I think Jose Valentin deserves a mention here as well.

TDog
10-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Definitely Harold Baines.

A quick story: For my 16th birthday in March of 1983, my mom wrote him a letter to spring training and sent him a check, asking him if he could send me something. He wound up returning the check along with a couple White Sox t-shirts out of the clubhouse along with a birthday note. Everything arrived in an oversized envelope addressed in his own handwriting.

Before reading this post, I would have put Harold Baines on the top of my list. Having done so, it's like there is nothing I can add to the thread.

In the history of White Sox baseball, there have been a lot of jerks and a lot of great guys and a lot of jerks who could be great guys if you gave them a chance and a lot of great guys who could be jerks on occasion.

I sense that Jermaine Dye and Jim Thome are class acts. But in the annals of White Sox baseball, Harold Baines' legacy stands out. They should erect a statue or something.

Get well soon, Harold.

gregoriop
10-09-2008, 01:05 PM
I nominate Tadahito.

http://iam-areyou.blogspot.com/2007/06/touch-of-heart.html

LITTLE NELL
10-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Fox, Pierce, Minoso, Wood, Melton, Baines, Fisk, Ventura, Paulie, Mark B., Dye, and Thome. Manager Jeff Torborg.
I'm sure I will think of a few more.

tstrike2000
10-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Scott Linebrink. Had heard good character things about him when he was with the Padres including that he wears 71 in honor of the Padres bullpen catcher who battled a brain tumor. He also seemed like a class guy at Soxfest last year.

Sox4ever77
10-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Two different areas for me. On the field and all around.

Some players left it all out on the field but could/would be jerks off the field.

All Around:

Ventura
Baines
Walker
Ivan Calderon-I saw him go into the dugout and bring a bat and ball because a kid was celebrating his BDay back at the old park in Texas.
Ray Durham

On the field:

Frank- I've saw him many times just blow people off.

Julio Cruz.

ihatethecubs
10-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Billy Koch

Rockabilly
10-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Buehrle
Ventura
Thome
Sirotka
Dye

JGarlandrules20
10-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Scott Podsednik.

Mendoza Line
10-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Without a doubt, Man Soo Lee! A few years ago in Detroit, we had seats near the bullpen, and Man Soo saw us wearing Sox jerseys. He tossed us a baseball signed by Cliff Politte and himself, then gave us a thumbs up.

jabrch
10-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Fisk just because he played the game the right way--dignified, respectfully.

Um...Are you sure?

I've never heard him nominated for an "all class act" team. Great ballplayer - but I have always been led to believe he was very much a loner and not one who did all the little things to go out of his way for the fans. I don't recall him a big community service guy either.

Paulwny
10-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Fox, Pierce, Minoso, Wood, Melton, Baines, Fisk, Ventura, Paulie, Mark B., Dye, and Thome. Managers Al Lopez and Jeff Torborg.
I'm sure I will think of a few more.

I would eliminate Lopez from this list. For some unknown reason he continually, as a member of the Old Timers' Committee, refused to vote for Fox for induction into the HOF and swayed others in their voting.

DumpJerry
10-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Pierzynski. My friends who have met him tell me he is very nice and cordial unlike his on-field reputation.

jcw218
10-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Before reading this post, I would have put Harold Baines on the top of my list. Having done so, it's like there is nothing I can add to the thread.

In the history of White Sox baseball, there have been a lot of jerks and a lot of great guys and a lot of jerks who could be great guys if you gave them a chance and a lot of great guys who could be jerks on occasion.

I sense that Jermaine Dye and Jim Thome are class acts. But in the annals of White Sox baseball, Harold Baines' legacy stands out. They should erect a statue or something.

Get well soon, Harold.

Baines does have his statue on the concourse in the outfield. it was the latest one to be unveiled

hi im skot
10-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Pierzynski. My friends who have met him tell me he is very nice and cordial unlike his on-field reputation.

My roommate's mom works for the Minnesota Twins, and at the risk of being roadhoused, he has quite a reputation off the field. Obviously, I have no way of knowing if this is true or not.

I'll leave it at that.

LITTLE NELL
10-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I would eliminate Lopez from this list. For some unknown reason he continually, as a member of the Old Timers' Committee, refused to vote for Fox for induction into the HOF and swayed others in their voting.
Good point, I forgot all about that. I will edit my post.

chisoxfanatic
10-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Without a doubt, Man Soo Lee! A few years ago in Detroit, we had seats near the bullpen, and Man Soo saw us wearing Sox jerseys. He tossed us a baseball signed by Cliff Politte and himself, then gave us a thumbs up.
Man Soo is a good guy. Between innings, I was in a group outing about 3/4 of the way to the Sox bullpen, and we yelled out "Hey, Man Soo!" The guy looked directly at us, smiled, and waved. He loved interacting with the fans like noone I've ever seen before.

tstrike2000
10-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Man Soo is a good guy. Between innings, I was in a group outing about 3/4 of the way to the Sox bullpen, and we yelled out "Hey, Man Soo!" The guy looked directly at us, smiled, and waved. He loved interacting with the fans like noone I've ever seen before.

My sister in law, who is Korean, remembers Man Soo Lee from S. Korean baseball and said they loved him over there.

TDog
10-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Baines does have his statue on the concourse in the outfield. it was the latest one to be unveiled

I know. My point was that he deserves it,

Brian26
10-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Jermaine Dye

Great player, some great memories for the Sox, but none of us are qualified to say this guy is a class act. That probably goes for many of the current players. Guys like Billy Pierce and Robin Ventura I won't argue with, but I wouldn't think any of us could put Dye in that category.

Brian26
10-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Um...Are you sure?

I've never heard him nominated for an "all class act" team. Great ballplayer - but I have always been led to believe he was very much a loner and not one who did all the little things to go out of his way for the fans. I don't recall him a big community service guy either.

Didn't necessarily go out of his way to do the little things for his younger teammates either. Fisk gets a lot of love for going after Neon Deon at Yankee Stadium, but he had his flaws. I grew up in the generation where this guy should have owned the town, and his legacy with the Sox hasn't held the test of time IMHO.

Frontman
10-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Great player, some great memories for the Sox, but none of us are qualified to say this guy is a class act. That probably goes for many of the current players. Guys like Billy Pierce and Robin Ventura I won't argue with, but I wouldn't think any of us could put Dye in that category.

Respectfully disagree. Dye is always active with the Boys and Girls Club, he's the Roberto Clemente ambassador for the Sox; as well as his all around approach to the team and the community. He might be a quiet man; but much like Baines, seems to be very, very classy.

soltrain21
10-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Didn't necessarily go out of his way to do the little things for his younger teammates either. Fisk gets a lot of love for going after Neon Deon at Yankee Stadium, but he had his flaws. I grew up in the generation where this guy should have owned the town, and his legacy with the Sox hasn't held the test of time IMHO.

Fisk is one of the biggest *******s I've ever met in my life.

Noneck
10-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Fisk is one of the biggest *******s I've ever met in my life.
He is a A#1 jerk, the blowsox deserve him.

Bucky F. Dent
10-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Ventura
Pudge
Ozzie
Baines
Buehrle
Thome

HebrewHammer
10-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Can I just put Brian Anderson in at all 9 positions?

35th&Shields
10-10-2008, 09:04 AM
I live by Ozzie in the West Loop. Every time I see him he always says hi and we often talk about the Sox and other random stuff. Couldn't be nicer and more down to earth.

beasly213
10-10-2008, 11:38 AM
I remember when I was younger Ozzie Guillen would always be the guy to sign autographs for us kids and almost everyone I know has his autograph from going to Sox games.

My friend met AJ at a bears game and said he was really nice to her and posed for a picture too!

Jim Thome is always nice and welcoming.

Mark Buehrle also a super nice guy.

I'll also give Kudos to Bad Bobby Jenks. On Monday he was the first member of the Sox I saw pointing to the crowd thanking them for their support this year.

areilly
10-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Respectfully disagree. Dye is always active with the Boys and Girls Club, he's the Roberto Clemente ambassador for the Sox; as well as his all around approach to the team and the community. He might be a quiet man; but much like Baines, seems to be very, very classy.

Much as he pisses me off on the field sometimes, I have to agree about JD off the field. His charity work is famous around the city, and you can't dislike a guy who helps out as much as he does.

soxgirl617
10-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I know I'll catch grief for this, but Frank Thomas. I know several people who had regular off the field interaction with him, and to a person they say he was easy to deal with and accomodating. Certainly he didn't show that to the media (which is too bad), but it seems that in his daily life he's a good guy.

Also agree completely with Baines, Ozzie, Mark, and JD.

SaltyPretzel
10-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Greg Walker is very nice. I was in Seattle 4 years ago and saw him at the hotel bar. I just said hi to him and told him that my dad and I flew into Seattle to see the Sox. He told me to grab a seat, bought me a beer, and we talked baseball for a good hour. Really cool guy.

Woofer
10-10-2008, 04:16 PM
My experiences at Soxfests or autograph signings have been made more pleasant by Minnie Minoso, Bill Melton, Jack McDowell, and Ron Kittle. All 4 of these guys made you feel almost like a friend to them.

Paul Konerko and Jerry Manuel also deserve a special mention. They seemed like normal people who were not afraid to interact and joke around with you. I believe it was at Soxfest 2001, they were both signing at a table, and my brother had a Konerko baseball card for Paulie to sign. On the card Paulie was making a diving catch at first. Konerko looked at the card and smiled. He then showed the card to Manuel, who laughed and said, "I don't see the ball in your glove, you probably made an error!" We all laughed. I thought they seemed pretty cool.

Foulke You
10-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Paul Konerko and Jerry Manuel also deserve a special mention.
You beat me to this Woofer. Jerry Manuel was not a very good manager but nobody could argue he wasn't a great guy off the field. It is one of the reasons I could never work up a hate for the man like I did with Bevington. Ghandi Manuel's baseball strategy was very unlikeable but he was a soft spoken, even keeled guy off the field and loved by his players.

Frontman
10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
You beat me to this Woofer. Jerry Manuel was not a very good manager but nobody could argue he wasn't a great guy off the field. It is one of the reasons I could never work up a hate for the man like I did with Bevington. Ghandi Manuel's baseball strategy was very unlikeable but he was a soft spoken, even keeled guy off the field and loved by his players.

And he was very nice to his mailman when he was here. Gave a nice Christmas tip to the carrier. (Before my time in that office.)

Lip Man 1
10-10-2008, 08:18 PM
For all the seasons playing and representing...Billy Pierce.

Lip

longtimesoxguy
10-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Hawk. He loves us sox fans

gobears1987
10-10-2008, 09:35 PM
I know he isn't the greatest on the field, but I'm surprised Swisher hasn't been listed. He has done a lot of charity work and is very personable to fans.

Frontman
10-10-2008, 11:12 PM
I know he isn't the greatest on the field, but I'm surprised Swisher hasn't been listed. He has done a lot of charity work and is very personable to fans.

We're trying not to acknowledge his time in a Sox uniform so far. :wink:

But yes, he does deserve merit. Very nice guy, and definately is involved in charitable activities. He knows how to treat the fans who are kids; that's for certain.

soxinem1
10-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Ron Santo.

Oh, sorry, I thought the thread was the 'All Class-Ass Team'.

My class picks:

Richard Dotson
Mark Buehrle
Roberto Hernandez
Marc Hill
Jim Thome
Greg Hibbard
Harold Baines

tstrike2000
10-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Darrin Jackson
Scott Fletcher